Chaz Schilens Hates Mark Sanchez

T0mShane

Ex-Jet Chaz Schilens: I Have ‘Nothing Good To Say’ About Mark Sanchez

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/07/ex-jet-chaz-schilens-i-have-nothing-good-to-say-about-mark-sanchez/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Mark Sanchez, currently competing with rookie Geno Smith for the Jets’ starting-quarterback job, maintains that he’s still confident despite his turnover-prone 2011 and 2012 seasons.

The former first-round pick, entering his fifth year with Gang Green, appears to have the upper hand over Smith at the moment. He will start the first preseason game against the Lions on Friday night.

But he still has plenty of detractors, from fans to media members to players.

One of those players is his ex-teammate, Chaz Schilens.

Schilens, now with the Lions, spent 2012 with New York. The wide receiver caught 28 passes for 289 yards and two touchdowns in 15 games last season.

The sixth-year player didn’t exactly praise his former quarterback when asked about his one season in East Rutherford.

“Really, when it came down to it, I kind of felt like they were looking for scapegoats,” Schilens told the Detroit Free Press in regard to the Jets. “And besides everyone except for, you know, maybe the quarterback position, and it was what it was.”

When asked directly about Sanchez, Schilens opted to bite his tongue, but in the process insulted him anyway.

“(I have) nothing good to say, so I’m not going to say nothing,” the San Diego State product told the newspaper.

You guys are missing the meatiest part, btw:

“Really, when it came down to it, I kind of felt like they were looking for scapegoats,” Schilens told the Detroit Free Press in regard to the Jets. “And besides everyone except for, you know, maybe the quarterback position, and it was what it was.”

I doubt Schilens was the only one to take issue with Rex throwing a human shield around Sanchez every day.

I always find it humorous how some people on message boards invalidate the opinion of an NFL player, because they aren't a pro-bowl or star player, yet fully expect theirs to be taken with the utmost of sincerity. Schillens was not a good WR, but his message about sanchez has been pretty status quo from all former players. 

I always find it humorous how some people on message boards invalidate the opinion of an NFL player, because they aren't a pro-bowl or star player, yet fully expect theirs to be taken with the utmost of sincerity. Schillens was not a good WR, but his message about sanchez has been pretty status quo from all former players. 

he could be right but what if he was just tired of hearing people say sanchez has no weapons (aka chaz schillens sucks) id be pissed to and say it wasnt my fault but the qbs

I doubt Schilens was the only one to take issue with Rex throwing a human shield around Sanchez every day.

yep... rex's love affair with sanchez is disgusting

he could be right but what if he was just tired of hearing people say sanchez has no weapons (aka chaz schillens sucks) id be pissed to and say it wasnt my fault but the qbs

I think it speaks more to the fact that everyone wanted to blame the skill players and yet no one but the fans were willing to put the onus on sanchez.  Chaz and the other guys know that they could have done things better, but when you get criticized, you at least want everyone to be held accountable, if not, it's very very easy to start growing a large distaste for the player who's being coddled.  Especially when said player acts all nonchalant during post-game press-conferences like throwing 3 ints to defensive lineman and losing a few games in a row is no big deal and he felt his play was good enough to win. 

I think it speaks more to the fact that everyone wanted to blame the skill players and yet no one but the fans were willing to put the onus on sanchez.  Chaz and the other guys know that they could have done things better, but when you get criticized, you at least want everyone to be held accountable, if not, it's very very easy to start growing a large distaste for the player who's being coddled.  Especially when said player acts all nonchalant during post-game press-conferences like throwing 3 ints to defensive lineman and losing a few games in a row is no big deal and he felt his play was good enough to win. 

that could very well be true. But again chaz was a skill player and he got trashed a bunch. Sanchez has no le weaponz chants. Chaz could very well just be saying sanchez is awful 1: because its easy 2: makes him look better

Did you hear Mark's comments about his int in the scrimmage? He said "I threw it out there and the WR just didn't get under it" Really dude? I'm shocked that the media doesnt tear apart his comments more because all they do is point at his teamates.

Also, Chaz Shilens should join this board.

Chaz was so good Braylon the #5 receiver for the Seahawks automatically became the #1 WR when he stepped off the plane in Jersey.

I think it's unfair for Chaz Schilens to criticize Mark Sanchez.

He's been in the NFL for five years, and with Mark Sanchez throwing to him he had his second best year ever.

Schilens should love the guy!

ChazSchillensstats_zps3feb3df2.jpg

uh, well yes and no.  At first glance it looked like he was off by just 1 rec.  

But look at the targets, the games played, total yards, and ypc.  

Yards per catch was slightly lower than his average before.

But Schilens was targeted the 2nd most times in his career, had the second most yards in his career, had the second most first downs as well.  And he played 15 games.

Overall, it was the second best year of his five year career.  It's not like he was gaining 1,000 yards somewhere else, got traded to the Jets and his numbers went right down because Sanchez was lousy.  Sanchez gave him one of his better years so far.

Yards per catch was slightly lower than his average before.

But Schilens was targeted the 2nd most times in his career, had the second most yards in his career, had the second most first downs as well.  And he played 15 games.

Overall, it was the second best year of his five year career.  It's not like he was gaining 1,000 yards somewhere else, got traded to the Jets and his numbers went right down because Sanchez was lousy.  Sanchez gave him one of his better years so far.

If you want to play that game, I think his best year came with Jamarcus Russell at QB.

uh, well yes and no.  At first glance it looked like he was off by just 1 rec.  

But look at the targets, the games played, total yards, and ypc.  

A lot of the reason for his lowly numbers with Oakland were because he was injured and/or playing with (read: enduring catching passes from) Jamarcus Russell or the deadly QB-trio of Russell-Gradkowski-Frye, which was easily his best season.  He also had better numbers in the half-season he had Carson Palmer in Oakland as well.

He clearly thinks Sanchez sucks.  Someone who played most of his career with Jamarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Frye, and Carson Palmer (and now like a month of camp with Matthew Stafford) thinks Mark Sanchez sucks.  Let that sink in.

Lol who does like Sanchez outside of Rex

I do (and very few others apparently)

He clearly thinks Sanchez sucks.  Someone who played most of his career with Jamarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Frye, and Carson Palmer (and now like a month of camp with Matthew Stafford) thinks Mark Sanchez sucks.  Let that sink in.

Seriously, this is probably one of your best arguments yet.   I'm almost tempted to use an emoticon right now. 

A lot of the reason for his lowly numbers with Oakland were because he was injured and/or playing with (read: enduring catching passes from) Jamarcus Russell or the deadly QB-trio of Russell-Gradkowski-Frye, which was easily his best season.  He also had better numbers in the half-season he had Carson Palmer in Oakland as well.

He had 206 yards in that "breakout" half-season with Carson Palmer in 2011.  He had one 89 yard game and one 58 yard game-and the rest was little dribs and drabs.  The fact that you're trying to make this into some sort of career highlight says everything you need to know about just how much of a scrub this guy has been for his 5 year career.

You can make the argument that he's played on bad teams with bad quarterbacks, but you should also consider that he was unable to distinguish himself to any degree on those bad teams.  And up until he said something bad about Sanchez, I don't think I've seen a single post here lamenting the loss of Chaz Schilens after last season.

In this guy's career to date, playing for the Jets with Sanchez was a lucky break.  The numbers prove it. 

If you needed to be a super star to have an intelligent and valid opinion on football, there wouldn't be coaches.

Archived