The Genoghini Countach takes his first Cimini broadside: He asked out of "brutal" practice.

T0mShane

Questionable call to rush rookie Geno

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For an organization that wants to be a reflection of its new general manager -- John the Deliberate -- the New York Jets are certainly rushing into dangerous territory. By starting Geno Smith Saturday night against the New York Giants with a plan to play him for at least a half, the Jets are handing the rookie quarterback a gold-plated opportunity to claim the starting job.

This is the third preseason game -- closest thing to the regular season -- and coaches don't like to waste reps on players who can't help the team. They're giving Smith two to three quarters because they believe he has a legitimate chance to unseat Mark Sanchez.

And you have to question the wisdom behind that thinking.

Rex Ryan and his offensive coaches say it wouldn't be a fair competition if they didn't give the kid a long look, but where is it written that all competitions have to be fair? Smith sprained an ankle and it cost him a game. Tough luck, but injuries are part of the game.

So now, instead of using the third game to build chemistry on offense and get comfortable with Marty Mornhinweg's system, the Jets are trotting out a rookie who might or might not be a starting-caliber quarterback in the league. A rookie whose résumé consists of only 14 snaps in the preseason.

If Smith flops and the job goes to Sanchez, the Jets will have wasted 30 or so prime reps against a first-team defense. And they can't make it up in the preseason finale, traditionally a Backup Bowl.

Truth be told, they've been all-in with Smith for the entire week, giving him first-team reps each day. If a stranger parachuted into practice, he'd have assumed Smith is the permanent starter.

What the Jets are really saying is they're desperate to put Sanchez on the bench. Isn't it interesting that owner Woody Johnson tweeted a photo of Smith in Thursday's practice? The tweet said: "Working hard for Saturday."

People who spoke to Johnson after Sanchez's embarrassing performance in Tennessee on Dec. 17 said he was utterly disgusted with his onetime franchise quarterback. They say there was a "never again" look in his eyes.

You can bet Johnson isn't thrilled by the prospect of opening a new season –- at home, no less –- with the same old quarterback getting booed by his PSL-paying customers. He doesn't want that kind of karma in his stadium, and when Johnson doesn't want something -- well, look what he did to Darrelle Revis.

This isn't to suggest that Johnson is picking the quarterback. But the man he picked to run the football operation -- John Idzik -- is the guy who picked Smith in the second round. It's not that hard to figure out.

Based on the current evidence -- it could change Saturday night -– Smith isn't ready to run an NFL offense. He won't pull a Russell Wilson because, unlike the Seattle Seahawks' phenom, Smith has no background with a West Coast offense.

This is brand new, and Smith has a lot to learn about being a quarterback and handling adversity. During his "brutal" practice last week, he asked out, according to a source. Maybe it was because of his ankle or maybe it was because he was disgusted with himself. Or maybe it was both.

Smith needs to mature, and there's no sin in that.

For all his faults, Sanchez is experienced and can help settle the offense as it deals with the inevitable growing pains of a new system. At least he's won in Foxborough, where Bill Belichick will be waiting in Week 2. That's a Thursday night game, meaning only three days of prep -- an enormous challenge for a rookie.

Despite a few glaring mistakes, Sanchez hasn't played his way out of a job. He also hasn't made people forget the 26 turnovers last season. Then again, this preseason isn't about him. It's about Smith and his learning curve.

lol. Like any beat reporter would have sat on that information if it was available. Guess he's been sharing strategies with Mehta.

Mark Sanchez doesn't need more reps. Nothing the Jets do is going to fix him. Geno doesn't need to be rushed, but he does need to play, and the rest of us would like to get an idea of what he is.

And finally, Cimini either doesn't recognize (or more likely, is ignoring) that this competition is about perception. Fans are THISCLOSE to going after Sanchez with torches and pitchforks and carrying him off into the night. If Geno does need more time, fine, but the idea of that already doesn't sit well with the average dolt. To keep this from going full blown disaster from Week 1 and in order to keep people in the seats, the average dolt has to at least have seen/heard enough about Geno not winning a fair competition in order to be plausible.

So at roughly, or EXACTLY, when Geno tweaked/injured his ankle, he may have begged out of practice.

I do not usually advocate physidcal violence on a reporter covering sports spare Mike Lupica at any time. Mehta needs to punched in the face until he doesn't get up. What a reprehensible POS. Hope Geno Smith makes a point of never talking to him as long as he is covering the Jets.

So now, instead of using the third game to build chemistry on offense and get comfortable with Marty Mornhinweg's system, the Jets are trotting out a rookie who might or might not be a starting-caliber quarterback in the league.

Ummm... Isn't the alternative "trotting out" a 5th year player who is assuredly NOT a starting-caliber quarterback in the league?

It's like the writers magically forgot who the alternative to Smith is.  He's taking reps from a guy who would start on 3 or less teams in the league.

And you have to question the wisdom behind thinking that trying the same thing (Sanchez) will produce different results.  Much rather kick the tires on Geno and see what he has to offer than give Sanchez anything.  We know what we have in him.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Why do all our media coverage believe they have a PhD in football?

Ummm... Isn't the alternative "trotting out" a 5th year player who is assuredly NOT a starting-caliber quarterback in the league?

It's like the writers magically forgot who the alternative to Smith is.  He's taking reps from a guy who would start on 3 or less teams in the league.

After the Gabbert show last week is there really any team that would start Sanchez?  I mean, other than the Jets?

I take everything Cimini writes with a boulder sized grain of salt. Guy is a hack and a Jet hater and is rubbing off on the little 'Indian' Manless Mehta who is becoming just like him. Mehta, Steve Serby and Cimini should all form a Jets haters club.

Bolded segment #1 - No?  They why have they been wasting reps on Sanchez during TC and all these years?  It's been proven that he can't help this team.

Bolded segment #2 - You have to question the wisdom of first the Daily News, then ESPN for hiring a lazy, stupid, no talent hack like yourself to cover anything, much less a professional sports team.

Bolded segment #3 - Utter nonsense!  Sanchez has already had more chances to build chemistry than Geno and has done nothing with them.  So Geno may not be a starting caliber NFL QB?  How else do you expect the Jets to find out but by letting him play?  We already KNOW that Sanchez isn't.  If you weren't such a totally clueless, ignorant tool, Cimini, perhaps you'd know that too.  How else is Geno gonna build his resume and gain more snaps if he doesn't play?  You have no grasp of logic, either Cimini.

Bolded segment #4 - Unbelievable!  What's 30 snaps when weighed against the thousands of wasted snaps they've given Sanchez over the last 4-5 years?

Bolded segment #5 - I'm calling BS on your "source", Ciminidiot.  There are valid reasons for asking to be excused, like ALL Jets fans have done for years asking to be excused from your inane trash and venom that you spew out on a regular basis.

Would someone please just shoot this SOB already?  It's been proven he's not gonna get fired.  It's time we start firing upon him.

A rookie whose résumé consists of only 14 snaps in the preseason.

Let me get this straight-you don't want to start a rookie in an exhibition, (practice), game because he had taken only 14 snaps in previous exhibition, (practice), games?

Umm, what are practice games FOR?

I agree with you.  When I read that part I thought....Sanchez is in his 5th year.  They have coddled him.  For once the Jets are making this a real competition.  If Smith plays well he can win the job.  If he lays an egg he can sit for awhile.

Either way, Sanchez is finally being forced to earn his spot.  That is the first time they have ever done that with him.  That is a good thing.

I agree with you.  When I read that part I thought....Sanchez is in his 5th year.  They have coddled him.  For once the Jets are making this a real competition.  If Smith plays well he can win the job.  If he lays an egg he can sit for awhile.

Either way, Sanchez is finally being forced to earn his spot.  That is the first time they have ever done that with him.  That is a good thing.

I mean, kinda.  If Sanchez wins, it's by default.  He's done absolutely 0 to make you think he's improved in any way.  He's continued his bonehead turnovers and plays.  So, in no way has he "earned it" at this point, that would require him to turn in a performance that was anything but poor.  He hasn't.  The competition, as expected, is all about Geno, and is basically summed up by the start of a game of hide-and-seek, "ready or not".

lol. Like any beat reporter would have sat on that information if it was available.  

so basically because we don't like the story that Geno begged out of practice, we are calling it a lie. if Sanchez begged out of a brutal practice, this place would be on fire. 

so basically because we don't like the story that Geno begged out of practice, we are calling it a lie. if Sanchez begged out of a brutal practice, this place would be on fire. 

I find it curious that this waited an entire week and Cimini comes out with this story today based on a "source".  The beat writers have made up sh*t before.  If this had happened last week, if he had truly asked out, it would have blown up all over the place.  The fact that only Cimini is bringing it up, a notorious, pot-stirrer, leads me to believe that it's entirely made up as nothing more than a story to troll Jets' fans.  Much like most of your posts here.

So basically because we don't like Geno, we say he's not a franchise QB after one OTA. If Sanchez had a rough practice, we'd parrot that idiotic Dilfer line about Sanchez being an "alpha male."

it's been over a week. if that had actually happened, wouldn't we have heard about it by now? another "source" a week later? it would have blown up like the hindenberg.

I find it curious that this waited an entire week and Cimini comes out with this story today based on a "source". The beat writers have made up sh*t before. If this had happened last week, if he had truly asked out, it would have blown up all over the place. The fact that only Cimini is bringing it up, a notorious, pot-stirrer, leads me to believe that it's entirely made up as nothing more than a story to troll Jets' fans. Much like most of your posts here.

+1

i think its pretty obvious the front office is praying to God that geno does something, anything, to let them stick sanchez on the bench for good.

If the go with geno they need to cut Sanchez can't have him on bech does neither the team or him any good !! If the cut him they get to spread money over 2 yrs so they can do it.

it's been over a week. if that had actually happened, wouldn't we have heard about it by now? another "source" a week later? it would have blown up like the hindenberg.

Judging by this and Costello's reports, it seems that the source didn't offer this up until yesterday.

I find it curious that this waited an entire week and Cimini comes out with this story today based on a "source". The beat writers have made up sh*t before. If this had happened last week, if he had truly asked out, it would have blown up all over the place. The fact that only Cimini is bringing it up, a notorious, pot-stirrer, leads me to believe that it's entirely made up as nothing more than a story to troll Jets' fans. Much like most of your posts here.

Has anyone ever actually proven that reporters make stuff up? Like, has anyone ever gone through the archives to prove that they reported something that was blatantly falsified?

Has anyone ever actually proven that reporters make stuff up? Like, has anyone ever gone through the archives to prove that they reported something that was blatantly falsified?

mehta claimed idzik was rigging the QB competition by not sticking to the 2 day rotation schedule

one of his colleagues at his own paper wrote this week that sanchez got 3 days last week to get ready to start, and geno got 3 days this week to get ready to start

so there's that

I was actually going to ask his boss to make him print an apology

maybe max can do it

I find it curious that this waited an entire week and Cimini comes out with this story today based on a "source".  The beat writers have made up sh*t before.  If this had happened last week, if he had truly asked out, it would have blown up all over the place.  The fact that only Cimini is bringing it up, a notorious, pot-stirrer, leads me to believe that it's entirely made up as nothing more than a story to troll Jets' fans.  Much like most of your posts here.

+2

So basically because we don't like Geno, we say he's not a franchise QB after one OTA. If Sanchez had a rough practice, we'd parrot that idiotic Dilfer line about Sanchez being an "alpha male."

it's not personal it's just business. the last time we saw Geno he took two safeties against Syracuse. He doesn't know how big an endzone is. That's a pretty basic f-in fact to not know. Give this guy a few seasons, maybe. He will probably still start because Mark looked really hurt tonight. But he doesn't deserve to start, and maybe we can agree on that after tonight. 

Archived