Jets working out and old fan favorite: Leon Washington

JustInFudge

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/jets-interested-in-possible-leon-washington-reunion/

Leon Washington spent the first four seasons of his career playing for the New York Jets.

Now the Jets are looking at the possibility of bringing Washington back to the Big Apple.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, Washington had a workout with the Jets on Tuesday. He had been among three running backs to workout for the New York Giants on Monday.

Washington started 13 games for the Jets in his first four seasons before suffering a broken leg in a game against the Oakland Raiders in 2009. He was traded to Seattle that offseason and spent the last three years with the Seahawks before being released in March.

Washington spent the offseason with the New England Patriots before being released on Sunday.

While teams are expressing interest in Washington, he may not find a new home until after this weekend. NFL contracts become fully guaranteed for players that are on the roster for Week 1 of the season. Veterans that have found themselves looking for work after final cuts have trouble finding a new team because teams don’t want to fully guarantee their contracts.

Washington will likely find a place to place before too long and it could be back where his career began, but he may have to wait a little while longer to get back to work.

"an" - typo in the topic...either way, I like it.  See what he's got.  He can be a game changer on kick offs and maybe even add some depth in the backfield. I'd rather have him in the RB3 spot than Alex Green for his versatility on the rostser. 

"an" - typo in the topic...either way, I like it.  See what he's got.  He can be a game changer on kick offs and maybe even add some depth in the backfield. I'd rather have him in the RB3 spot than Alex Green for his versatility on the rostser. 

Agreed.

yea completely agree.  Loved him when he was a Jet.  He's not the same running back when he was here but I would be all for having him back.  I felt Joe McKnight was going to be our next Leon but clearly that didn't happen

And he can replace Mr. Fair Catch Kerley on punts too.  He returned all kicks for the Seahawks the past 2 seasons.  

Green doesn't have the years required to guarantee his contract this week, right?  If that's the case, I think there's a very good chance that, come Monday, Green is a goner and Leon returns.  He certainly makes sense as the placeholder for Goodson and would essentially have an audition period until his return, although could easily be sent packing at that point.  As far as special teams is concerned, Leon had his time on punts with the Jets too and was decidedly mediocre at it.  Kerley has been far more successful in much less time, so I wouldn't be in a rush to make a switch just based on last years fair-catchathon.

They showed the last preseason game for the Patriots up here instead of the Jets.  When it comes to returns, Leon still has that dangerous explosiveness.  That last game alone he made a couple of real nice returns that went for long yardage.

With Goodson out for four games, have we settled on a quick, speedy back to complement Powell yet?  Somebody who can beat the defense to the corner?  The Patriots didn't seem to use him in that role in that game, I would really like to see how he does in the backfield with the Jets.

Green doesn't have the years required to guarantee his contract this week, right? If that's the case, I think there's a very good chance that, come Monday, Green is a goner and Leon returns. He certainly makes sense as the placeholder for Goodson and would essentially have an audition period until his return, although could easily be sent packing at that point. As far as special teams is concerned, Leon had his time on punts with the Jets too and was decidedly mediocre at it. Kerley has been far more successful in much less time, so I wouldn't be in a rush to make a switch just based on last years fair-catchathon.

Kerley has had a couple of bad muffs in addition to his fair catch happy nature, plus he's our best WR so I'd prefer not risking injury either

Archived