Clyde Gates

bmd71

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please explain how the hell that is worse? A drop vs someone knocking it out before you can get control of it, you must be kidding.

Please explain how the hell that is worse? A drop vs someone knocking it out before you can get control of it, you must be kidding.

no I was not kidding.  a fumble is worse than an incomplete

Here are some available free agent WR's:

Braylon Edwards

Steve Breaston

Austin Collie

Laurent Robinson

Devery Henderson

Deion Branch

Early Doucet

Mohammed Massaquoi

I know the Jets already had Edwards and Massaquoi during training camp and they gave tryouts to Robinson and Collie. There has to be someone on this list or maybe someone that I'm forgetting who would be a better addition than Gates.

I don't know why, but Rex WON'T CUT a$$holes like Gates. He tries to be that 'players coach' kind of guy that says, 'it's ok, we'll get them next time' except I think Gates just can't catch which is why he was let go two other places. Rex should send a message to his WR corps and cut Gates. I don't give a rats a$$ who is out there to pick up, I just know I don't want a guy like that on my football team.

I don't know why, but Rex WON'T CUT a$$holes like Gates. He tries to be that 'players coach' kind of guy that says, 'it's ok, we'll get them next time' except I think Gates just can't catch which is why he was let go two other places. Rex should send a message to his WR corps and cut Gates. I don't give a rats a$$ who is out there to pick up, I just know I don't want a guy like that on my football team.

I agree with all this.

They were dropping passes before the rain even started.  Aside from Holmes, our receivers are hot garbage. Dropped passes. Stephen Hill running with the ball like it's his lunch bag and he's trying to catch the school bus.  Just horrible.

Last night made me really appreciate guys like Wayne Chrebet and Cotch.  Guys who weren't fast, but still found ways to get open, and caught EVERYTHING that was thrown to them.

Except that Cotchery's last year here he had the worst hands on the team.  Didn't he drop almost 10 passes? Kind of a lot considering he barely caught only 40.

Why is this guy still on the roster? 

Players have bad games, Gates had an abysmal one.  However, he was thrust into a starting role with the injuries to Kerley, something he's not ready for, and simply, you gain nothing by cutting him when you will be replacing him with someone probably even worse, like Spadola.  You don't just cut someone because you're pissed that he had a bad game, especially if you think he can improve and has talent.  As a #4 or #5 WR he offers value, but he obviously and I mean obviously has to recover from that game with a consistent showing the rest of the season or he will be off the roster.  

I actually think Gates is someone who will produce as the season goes on as he and Geno develop chemistry. For example: on a designed roll-out and double move to Gates, the throw was wide open on the first move and that's something you'll see those two make as they get more comfortable. Gates was routinely gaining separation and beating his man, but whether he dropped the ball or Geno threw a bit late, the connection clearly wasn't there.  I'm gonna say it again; the separation that Hill, Gates and Kerley get on the regular will eventually turn into consistent performance; clearly it was a horrendous showing, but they just offer things right now that guys like Spadola, Braylon etc. do not.  Just have a bit of patience on these young kids.

thank goodness for Kerley. cant wait to see this piece of garbage back on the bench 

Kerley is a "Good" slot receiver hes nothing great and teams are certainly not overly concerned about him. He is over rated by Jets fans IMHO. He a 60 catch 800 yard guy and probably always will be.

As mentioned, the fact Braylon Edwards is not on this team and Clyde ******* Gates is, is just the same old same old ridiculous handling of the position for the last 14 + years ever since we got rid of one of the best possession WR's in the game in Keyshawn Johnson on what was supposed to be a possession type move the chains blue collar offense . This team continues to make dumb move after dumb move on the offensive side of the ball

Except that Cotchery's last year here he had the worst hands on the team.  Didn't he drop almost 10 passes? Kind of a lot considering he barely caught only 40.

Its was obvious he had been dealing with a very painful back problem which probably led to his drops since he was certainly not known throughout his career for dropping balls. Amazing we can bash a guy like Cotchery who was one of the toughest WR's we had in years but stick up for the thugs we ran through here the last 5 years this sh*t is hilarious. Im not saying you stuck up for said thugs Sperm but Im surprised at your reaction to Cotchery who not only made some clutch catches over the years but was a positive locker room presence this team certainly missed

Except that Cotchery's last year here he had the worst hands on the team. Didn't he drop almost 10 passes? Kind of a lot considering he barely caught only 40.

.......he had a herniated disc

Kinda impressive he played at all. How is he doing over in Pittsburgh? Would you take Gates over him?

Its was obvious he had been dealing with a very painful back problem which probably led to his drops since he was certainly not known throughout his career for dropping balls. Amazing we can bash a guy like Cotchery who was one of the toughest WR's we had in years but stick up for the thugs we ran through here the last 5 years this sh*t is hilarious. Im not saying you stuck up for said thugs Sperm but Im surprised at your reaction to Cotchery who not only made some clutch catches over the years but was a positive locker room presence this team certainly missed

.......he had a herniated disc

Kinda impressive he played at all. How is he doing over in Pittsburgh? Would you take Gates over him?

Bash him? He dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way.  This is not bashing him.  It is relaying facts.  Statistically, he had the worst hands on the team his last year here.

I liked Cotchery when he was here.  But he conducted himself unprofessionally when he was not handed the starting, #2 WR spot after what was easily his worst season (since first becoming a significant part of the offense).  He was not interested in fighting for the #2 - or even the #3 - WR position by outplaying anyone.  He wanted the job handed to him for past achievement, prior to showing that he was even healthy enough to start all season long (or even week 1, but I can't remember for sure).

When he didn't get his #1 wish, his #2 wish was to no longer be a NY Jet.  This was not being a positive presence IMO.  As a direct result of that, his very vocal and well-known desire to be released was granted.  Ryan outwardly said he wanted to keep Cotchery, and (allegedly) met with him a bunch of times trying to convince him to stay, but it seemed his anger and attitude made the situation untenable.  It was after this situation brewed that the Jets made an offer to Mason (who hadn't yet signed the Jets' offer on the day Cotchery was released).

That said, only a complete f*cking idiot would prefer literally every single knucklehead, Criscofingers WR on the present roster, and wouldn't swap out even the worst among them, rather than what Cotchery once was.  I have no idea what kind of receiver he is right now today.  I'm sure he is very slow, as he was no burner even when he was at his best or fastest some 6-8 years ago.  He is the #3 WR on the Steelers after they lost their prior two #1 WRs in successive seasons.  I would rather have Kerley in the slot than Cotchery; that much I can tell you.  He also doesn't have Santonio's upside anymore, with metal screws in his foot or not.  Doesn't have Hill's upside either.  Gates I couldn't care less about.  He has some talent but not enough for him to play like he did on Thursday & have any job security.

It would certainly seem that holding onto only 80% of his passes, bad back or no, is still better than the sorry-ass display we saw Thursday night.  But catching 4 relatively short passes (including a TD) in week 1 doesn't mean he'd be any type of savior WR here.

Bash him? He dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way.  This is not bashing him.  It is relaying facts.  Statistically, he had the worst hands on the team his last year here.

I liked Cotchery when he was here.  But he conducted himself unprofessionally when he was not handed the starting, #2 WR spot after what was easily his worst season (since first becoming a significant part of the offense).  He was not interested in fighting for the #2 - or even the #3 - WR position by outplaying anyone.  He wanted the job handed to him for past achievement, prior to showing that he was even healthy enough to start all season long (or even week 1, but I can't remember for sure).

When he didn't get his #1 wish, his #2 wish was to no longer be a NY Jet.  This was not being a positive presence IMO.  As a direct result of that, his very vocal and well-known desire to be released was granted.  Ryan outwardly said he wanted to keep Cotchery, and (allegedly) met with him a bunch of times trying to convince him to stay, but it seemed his anger and attitude made the situation untenable.  It was after this situation brewed that the Jets made an offer to Mason (who hadn't yet signed the Jets' offer on the day Cotchery was released).

That said, only a complete f*cking idiot would prefer literally every single knucklehead, Criscofingers WR on the present roster, and wouldn't swap out even the worst among them, rather than what Cotchery once was.  I have no idea what kind of receiver he is right now today.  I'm sure he is very slow, as he was no burner even when he was at his best or fastest some 6-8 years ago.  He is the #3 WR on the Steelers after they lost their prior two #1 WRs in successive seasons.  I would rather have Kerley in the slot than Cotchery; that much I can tell you.  He also doesn't have Santonio's upside anymore, with metal screws in his foot or not.  Doesn't have Hill's upside either.  Gates I couldn't care less about.  He has some talent but not enough for him to play like he did on Thursday & have any job security.

It would certainly seem that holding onto only 80% of his passes, bad back or no, is still better than the sorry-ass display we saw Thursday night.  But catching 4 relatively short passes (including a TD) in week 1 doesn't mean he'd be any type of savior WR here.

I still like that chat we did here back in the day.

Smizzy:  Will Cotchery become a househould name?

Rich Cimini:  Yes, in his household.(I forget Rich's exact answer but it was something along those lines).

Kerley is a "Good" slot receiver hes nothing great and teams are certainly not overly concerned about him. He is over rated by Jets fans IMHO. He a 60 catch 800 yard guy and probably always will be.

As mentioned, the fact Braylon Edwards is not on this team and Clyde ******* Gates is, is just the same old same old ridiculous handling of the position for the last 14 + years ever since we got rid of one of the best possession WR's in the game in Keyshawn Johnson on what was supposed to be a possession type move the chains blue collar offense . This team continues to make dumb move after dumb move on the offensive side of the ball

I disagree ... all hail Kerley.. Best slot receiver ever. 

I still like that chat we did here back in the day.

Smizzy:  Will Cotchery become a househould name?

Rich Cimini:  Yes, in his household.(I forget Rich's exact answer but it was something along those lines).

I remember it well.

Here, I found it.  About halfway down the page:

http://www.jetnation.com/2006/06/21/rich-cimini-chat-transcript-062106/

[smizzy] 8:40 pm: Is this the yr J.Cotchery becomes a household name? Or are my expectations to high? 

[RichCimini] 8:41 pm: Household name? Maybe in the Cotchery household. I like JC, think he’s got some talent, but he doesn’t have the separation speed to be a No.1-type guy. The Jets would be very happy if he develops into a solid No. 3.

Cimini said a lot of things like that, that ended up just flat-out wrong.  Predicted the likely ceiling of the '06 team being 6-10 with 8-8 being like some kind of miracle because they didn't have the talent (sounds eerily familiar).  They went on to finish 10-6.  The other strange thing he said that stuck out was his last line.

[RichCimini] 9:03 pm: Gotta run, folks. Great questions, as usual. You fans are great, This is still the best Jets website.

What a dumbass.  Everyone knows Jets fans suck.  Also this is like the 6th or 7th-best Jets website.  Back then it was probably 3rd, but there were only 4 out there at the time.  Other than the team's official website there was only JetNation.com, ************.com and ***********.com. 

It was more like the Jets had Holmes Slated as the Number 1 then signed Plaxico who was promptly named the number 2 fresh out of prison and the straw that broke the camels back from what I remember was the Derrik Mason Signing and Rex claiming he would have 90 catches. So yeah lets keep and annoint 3 thugs and push Cotch to the curb is exactly what Rex did.

In reality Sperm we are both assuming exactly what might have been discussed between the 2 men but when you look at how Rex was discussing the situation in pressers with the Media it certainly looked like Cotch was no longer in the Mix when Mason was signed, Cotch Gladly moved to WR # 3 when we had Holmes and Braylon and seemed happy but you fail to attribute his drops (an issue he never had previous) to an extremely painful back problem and you keep pushing thar drop problem without even a mention that the problem that was brought up.

FWIW Sperm Cotch would not be a savior at all but he would certainly be an improvement over Gates who I think sucks Cotchery certainly does not suck and we already Know he can make the tough catches and the clutch catches.

It was more like the Jets had Holmes Slated as the Number 1 then signed Plaxico who was promptly named the number 2 fresh out of prison and the straw that broke the camels back from what I remember was the Derrik Mason Signing and Rex claiming he would have 90 catches. So yeah lets keep and annoint 3 thugs and push Cotch to the curb is exactly what Rex did.

In reality Sperm we are both assuming exactly what might have been discussed between the 2 men but when you look at how Rex was discussing the situation in pressers with the Media it certainly looked like Cotch was no longer in the Mix when Mason was signed, Cotch Gladly moved to WR # 3 when we had Holmes and Braylon and seemed happy but you fail to attribute his drops (an issue he never had previous) to an extremely painful back problem and you keep pushing thar drop problem without even a mention that the problem that was brought up.

FWIW Sperm Cotch would not be a savior at all but he would certainly be an improvement over Gates who I think sucks Cotchery certainly does not suck and we already Know he can make the tough catches and the clutch catches.

Nope. Mason signed after Cotchery was released. He was pissed just from Plaxico getting the #2 job. At that time, Cotchery was on the PUP list, and as a (theoretical) contender there is nothing wrong with acquiring a cheap, veteran slot receiver while the rookie was being rookie - is and Cotchery wasn't even practicing, in August already. If Cotchery was so much and so obviously better then he'd quickly take that #2 spot away from Plaxico. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) he was still on the PUP list right up to the day he was granted his release.

So he was essentially pissed off someone else was named the #2 while he was unable to practice following March(?) back surgery. Again, they wanted to keep him and I remember reading at the time that Rex really reached out to him but Cotchery was totally uncooperative so they GRANTED his release at His request. Really his DEMAND. For team cohesion reasons, he had to go. In other words, Cotchery was acting just like the me-first thugs himself.

That other stuff you mention (Rex's 90 catch comments) happened after Cotchery was off the team. You can look it up and show me if my memory is shaky but I'm sure it was not until after the guy was signed, which was itself after Cotchery was already gone.

Lastly, and most importantly, we did not have some Cotchery or Gates choice available to us, so I don't understand the purpose of the comparison.

Here:  select the 2011 season at http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/transactions.html

08/04/2011

Jets Release WR Jerricho Cotchery

08/07/2011

Jets Sign WR Derrick Mason

8/15/2011 (link) - AFTER Mason was already on the the Jets, and nearly 2 weeks after Cotchery's release, Rex makes his 90-100 catch comment (which nobody other than the media with their Rex-o-meter really took seriously, as it was an off-the-cuff comment with a smile on his face & he was always prone to exaggeration in his predictions as I'm sure you've noticed.   Taking it seriously - even back then - would of course imply that even Larry Fitzgerald was capable of catching 90-100 passes from Mark Sanchez as his borderline #3/#4 receiving target along with Keller, which is equally ridiculous.  He caught 61 passes as a starter in Baltimore.  Now as the #3 WR on a "ground and pound" team that always also has a TE on the field, Rex predicts 90-100 catches.  Like many others, I took it as an unserious prediction with Rex just babbling & talking up his player even back then).

Smash, your timeline is just made up.  The things you say happened as some cause-and-effect did not happen in the sequence you say, so therefore your cause-and-effect is nonsense. 

Here is the Cotchery timeline in 2011 (as I understand it):

1. Cotchery had a couple of years left on his contract at I think a few million a year.

2. He wanted a new contract for more money.

3. He knew in order to get a new contract for more money he would need to be starting.

4. The Jets did not envision him as a starter, but rather as a #3 WR.

5. Cotchery realized this and then - as far back as the scouting combine, some 3-4 months before Plaxico was released from prison, he asked to be traded.

6. Cotchery has surgery

7. Cotchery is put on the PUP list.

8. Plaxico Burress signed.

9. Cotchery's "fear" is confirmed that he won't be starting (or at least not from day 1).  He again starts up that he wants off the team.

10. Jets start working out Derrick Mason.

11. Rex tries to convince Cotchery to stay.  No dice since he can't get a new contract as Mark Sanchez's #5 target if Mason signs on.

12. Jets release Cotchery, per his request.

13. Jets sign Mason.  

14. Rex makes his 90-100 catch comment.

Nope. Mason signed after Cotchery was released. He was pissed just from Plaxico getting the #2 job. At that time, Cotchery was on the PUP list, and as a (theoretical) contender there is nothing wrong with acquiring a cheap, veteran slot receiver while the rookie was being rookie - is and Cotchery wasn't even practicing, in August already. If Cotchery was so much and so obviously better then he'd quickly take that #2 spot away from Plaxico. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) he was still on the PUP list right up to the day he was granted his release.

So he was essentially pissed off someone else was named the #2 while he was unable to practice following March(?) back surgery. Again, they wanted to keep him and I remember reading at the time that Rex really reached out to him but Cotchery was totally uncooperative so they GRANTED his release at His request. Really his DEMAND. For team cohesion reasons, he had to go. In other words, Cotchery was acting just like the me-first thugs himself.

That other stuff you mention (Rex's 90 catch comments) happened after Cotchery was off the team. You can look it up and show me if my memory is shaky but I'm sure it was not until after the guy was signed, which was itself after Cotchery was already gone.

Lastly, and most importantly, we did not have some Cotchery or Gates choice available to us, so I don't understand the purpose of the comparison.

I hear you and what your saying could very well be correct in what went down between the team and Cotch but Im pretty sure they were in the works with a deal for Mason when Cotch said I'm out. As a matter of fact I remember the discussion very well on these boards and people here quoting me Masons stats as a 38 year old receiver which I found to be pretty hilarious. Not sure how we can prove any of the timeline but I think Mason put Cotch on the edge/

You use Cotchs back as as excuse as to why the Jets Named Plaxico who from what I remember barely practiced due to a bad ankle and just off years of prison ...was that all ok ? If you were in Cotcherys position would you not be pissed after possibly jeopardizing your career making clutch catches in the previous years playoffs and playing in what must have been some pretty bad pain ?

Whether our timelines are wrong or our opinions flawed you really can't argue the Jets handling of the skill positions has been borderline incompetent along with the handling of a young QB Whether Sanchez would have done better or not it was still bad it was probably the worst handling of offensive skill position players in this entire teams existence. The Jets Always had good to great offensive players throughout the history of this team that I can remember the last 10 years have to easily be the worst in franchise history

Here:  select the 2011 season at http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/transactions.html

08/04/2011

Jets Release WR Jerricho Cotchery

08/07/2011

Jets Sign WR Derrick Mason

8/15/2011 (link) - AFTER Mason was already on the the Jets, and nearly 2 weeks after Cotchery's release, Rex makes his 90-100 catch comment (which nobody other than the media with their Rex-o-meter really took seriously, as it was an off-the-cuff comment with a smile on his face & he was always prone to exaggeration in his predictions as I'm sure you've noticed.   Taking it seriously - even back then - would of course imply that even Larry Fitzgerald was capable of catching 90-100 passes from Mark Sanchez as his borderline #3/#4 receiving target along with Keller, which is equally ridiculous.  He caught 61 passes as a starter in Baltimore.  Now as the #3 WR on a "ground and pound" team that always also has a TE on the field, Rex predicts 90-100 catches.  Like many others, I took it as an unserious prediction with Rex just babbling & talking up his player even back then).

Smash, your timeline is just made up.  The things you say happened as some cause-and-effect did not happen in the sequence you say, so therefore your cause-and-effect is nonsense. 

My timeline is NOT just made up its what I remember . Just because a WR was signed at a certain time does not mean talks were not in the works because they certainly were. It seems to me the above post shows Cotchs release and Masons signing being a few days apart and the Jets must have been talking to Mason long before the signing due to Cotcherys stance that much seems clear. I remember Cotchery saying get me outta here as soon as the Mason issue started up. I think Cotch felt slighted they would even persue a 38 year old loudmouth over a 29 year old team player.

Yeah damn the facts Larz

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6832290/new-york-jets-targeting-derrick-mason-source-confirms   Updated: August 4, 2011, 5:36 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Less than a week after signing Plaxico Burress, the New York Jets are mulling another big move at wide receiver. This time, they're targeting Derrick Mason, a league source confirmed Wednesday night.

Mason, 37, released last week by the Baltimore Ravens, is scheduled to visit the Jets on Thursday morning, according to multiple reports. If the meeting goes well -- and that means passing a physical -- he's expected to sign a contract.

The Jets' interest in Mason, first reported by CBSSports.com, raises serious questions about the future of popular No. 3 receiver Jerricho Cotchery. He underwent back surgery in February and, although Cotchery says he's fine, he hasn't been cleared to practice and remains on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

Cotchery, who was dangled earlier this week in trade talks, could be traded or released if the Jets sign Mason. Cotchery is due to make $1.8 million, about twice as much as Mason would make if he signs for the veterans' minimum.

Losing Cotchery would be a tough blow to the Jets' locker room. He played hurt all last season, with a herniated disc. He made one of the plays of the year, a diving catch moments after tearing his groin.

On Tuesday, Cotchery said there was "no doubt" in his mind that he'd be ready for the season opener. Meanwhile, the front office already was plotting another move at receiver, as GM Mike Tannenbaum said he wouldn't rule out adding another veteran at the position.

Cotchery asked to be traded in Feb. Plaxico wasn't on the Jets yet. Mason was still a Raven.

And Clyde Gates sucks. But he's not even worse because of a story featuring Cotchery as the Christ figure.

It was all about him wanting more money from the Jets. Nothing more.

Sperm I cant doubt your time line .... when things actually went down is fact, but I don't believe that's what set off Cotchery I think it was the constant Chatter coming from the Jets a team Cotch always played hard for is what set him off.

Sperm I cant doubt your time line .... when things actually went down is fact, but I don't believe that's what set off Cotchery I think it was the constant Chatter coming from the Jets a team Cotch always played hard for is what set him off.

He wanted his contract redone and it wasn't happening if he wasn't starting. That's why he requested a trade back at the combine.

Mason was the "final straw" because it was too many people for him to compete with for catches to earn a pay raise. The Jets still wanted him.

the jets are the worst evah !!!!  everything they do sucks !!!!!!

so the guy who is hurt and needs to pass a physical, and might be ready for the opener, and the team has THE NERVE to talk to available FA WR's ?

THE NERVE

fire tanny !!!!

Archived