Belichick: Jets Pushed Too

flgreen

Bill Belichick: Jets pushed, too

October, 22, 2013

OCT 22

2:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

PushGate took another turn Tuesday, with New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick firing back at the New York Jets.

Belichick, in a conference call with Boston reporters, said the Jets were guilty of using the same illegal pushing tactic on field goals that got the Patriots busted in overtime. Asked if he's bothered by a news report that said the Jets' sideline alerted the officials to keep a close eye on the pushy Patriots, Belichick replied:

"Well, I mean, since they were using the play themselves, I don't even know about all that. But basically we're just moving on here."

It was a classic Belichick response: He wanted to turn the page, but he managed to include a snarky and incriminating comment about the Jets.

Clearly, he was referring to Stephen Gostkowski's 44-yard field at the end of regulation. On that play, video replays from different angles show the Jets' Quinton Coples extended his right arm and pushed teammate Muhammad Wilkerson from behind toward the Patriots' formation.

Wilkerson lined up in the "A" gap between the long snapper, Danny Aiken, and RG Logan Mankins. Coples was to Wilkerson's left. On the snap, Coples didn't fire off the ball as quickly as Wilkerson, delaying for a split second. Coples used his right forearm on Wilkerson's back. Wilkerson split Aiken and Mankins, and wound up getting lifted off his feet. He landed awkwardly.

Two officials were standing five yards away, behind the Jets' rush, and there was no penalty. The Coples push wasn't nearly as egregious as Chris Jones' push on teammate Will Svitek, resulting in a 15-yard penalty that cost the Patriots the game, but there was contact. The officials evidently didn't think there was enough to warrant a flag.

It's not a surprise that Belichick raised the issue. It's always tit-for-tat between the Jets and the Patriots, and it had to gall him to have this happen against the Jets, of all teams. There's 16 years of enmity between the two franchises, and Belichick has been involved in most of it.

Listen to this little bitch..

I love it. LOVE IT.

Bill is also not living up to his typically over-imposed team mantra, which is usually to have a short memory and focus on the next opponent, one week at a time.

You leave the "wah wahhh they did it too" sniping for the local sports talk dopes to harp on, you don't do it as head coach.

Bill Belichick: Jets pushed, too

October, 22, 2013

OCT 22

2:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

PushGate took another turn Tuesday, with New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick firing back at the New York Jets.

Belichick, in a conference call with Boston reporters, said the Jets were guilty of using the same illegal pushing tactic on field goals that got the Patriots busted in overtime. Asked if he's bothered by a news report that said the Jets' sideline alerted the officials to keep a close eye on the pushy Patriots, Belichick replied:

"Well, I mean, since they were using the play themselves, I don't even know about all that. But basically we're just moving on here."

It was a classic Belichick response: He wanted to turn the page, but he managed to include a snarky and incriminating comment about the Jets.

Clearly, he was referring to Stephen Gostkowski's 44-yard field at the end of regulation. On that play, video replays from different angles show the Jets' Quinton Coples extended his right arm and pushed teammate Muhammad Wilkerson from behind toward the Patriots' formation.

Wilkerson lined up in the "A" gap between the long snapper, Danny Aiken, and RG Logan Mankins. Coples was to Wilkerson's left. On the snap, Coples didn't fire off the ball as quickly as Wilkerson, delaying for a split second. Coples used his right forearm on Wilkerson's back. Wilkerson split Aiken and Mankins, and wound up getting lifted off his feet. He landed awkwardly.

Two officials were standing five yards away, behind the Jets' rush, and there was no penalty. The Coples push wasn't nearly as egregious as Chris Jones' push on teammate Will Svitek, resulting in a 15-yard penalty that cost the Patriots the game, but there was contact. The officials evidently didn't think there was enough to warrant a flag.

It's not a surprise that Belichick raised the issue. It's always tit-for-tat between the Jets and the Patriots, and it had to gall him to have this happen against the Jets, of all teams. There's 16 years of enmity between the two franchises, and Belichick has been involved in most of it.

This isn't moving on.

Moving on sounds like "no comment". 

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/turning-the-page-on-the-push-play/

After further review (aka the coaches game tape), the ruling made my Bill Belichick is found to be untrue. The better camera angle shows that Q didn't push anyone and was engaged with a blocker.

Pats are the only cheaters here, as originally thought.

output_h09qz3.gif?w=750

I love it. LOVE IT.

Bill is also not living up to his typically over-imposed team mantra, which is usually to have a short memory and focus on the next opponent, one week at a time.

You leave the "wah wahhh they did it too" sniping for the local sports talk dopes to harp on, you don't do it as head coach.

"The Patriot Way"

look at the video, it's not even close to the same.  You can argue that in the course of rushing on the play, Coples arm just ended up on the back of Wilkerson.   I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional, but it looks like it could have happened innocently.

Looking at the pats video, it's OBVIOUS it was planned and practiced.

After further review (aka the coaches game tape), the ruling made my Bill Belichick is found to be untrue. The better camera angle shows that Q didn't push anyone and was engaged with a blocker.

output_h09qz3.gif?w=750

Awesome.

Suck it BB!!!

output_h09qz3.gif?w=750

Yeah, he is just resting his arm on Mo's back/shoulder.

Hey, that was the Jets SuperBowl and everyone knows it.

Let them enjoy the victory.

This would sting if they had acted that way at all, it's seems they've outgrown that mentality though... A welcome sight for us.

Also STFU with your stale, lame cracks!

Holy Crap!!  How many times have the Patriot's used the "Everyone else does it too" excuse?

In this case, I think it's the "I know you are, but what am I" defense. It's a subtle difference. 

Either way, it seems to me that the New England Patriots organization along with the majority of their fanbase have the mentality of a 12-year-old girl. 

In this case, I think it's the "I know you are, but what am I" defense. It's a subtle difference. 

Either way, it seems to me that the New England Patriots organization along with the majority of their fanbase have the mentality of a 12-year-old girl. 

Brady certainly wears the same shoes  they do so you might be onto something.

Archived