Alright...Let's talk 2014 cap, & WR options...

CobraVerde

Who is throwing our shiny new receivers the ball. That's the biggest question of the offseason. Again.

Best available QB in the first round.  Bridgewater may not be so much of a pipe dream as he once was if we continue to lose and teams like the Jaguars and Vikings continue to win. 

As for veterans......outside of Cutler, there are few interesting UFA's in 2014.  Do we want to waste a 2015 draft pick on a guy like Josh McCown, Chad Henne or Josh Freeman?  We'd probably be better served going after a guy like Kirk Cousins via trade.  The Redskins are still depleted in draft picks from the RG3 trade.

I like Gato's list of WR's.  Golden Tate seems like the obvious choice.  If we're going after a QB early, free agent receivers and maybe a TE are a must.  Greg Olsen, both Raven TE's Pitta and Dickson are UFA's in 2014.  So is our good friend Dustin Keller.

It goes without saying that if Jimmy Graham comes available, you do it and don't think about the price whatsoever.  He's basically a WR, so even paying him well above TE market value would be a steal.  But this is a pipe dream.

Best available QB in the first round.  Bridgewater may not be so much of a pipe dream as he once was if we continue to lose and teams like the Jaguars and Vikings continue to win. 

As for veterans......outside of Cutler, there are few interesting UFA's in 2014.  Do we want to waste a 2015 draft pick on a guy like Josh McCown, Chad Henne or Josh Freeman?  We'd probably be better served going after a guy like Kirk Cousins via trade.  The Redskins are still depleted in draft picks from the RG3 trade.

I like Gato's list of WR's.  Golden Tate seems like the obvious choice.  If we're going after a QB early, free agent receivers and maybe a TE are a must.  Greg Olsen, both Raven TE's Pitta and Dickson are UFA's in 2014.  So is our good friend Dustin Keller.

It goes without saying that if Jimmy Graham comes available, you do it and don't think about the price whatsoever.  He's basically a WR, so even paying him well above TE market value would be a steal.  But this is a pipe dream.

I would try to get the dyanamic Duo from Texas A+M:  Manziel to Evans.

The way the Jets are playing right now 5-11 does not seem out of the question. The Giants just won their 5th game last night so they will move behind the Jets. Other teams are making late runs, the Bills will get to 5 wins, and should of had it yesterday. The Jets will surely end up with a top 5 pick, and if you need to trade one of your 12 picks to get one of the top 3 QB's, it is worth moving up even 1 spot if you think that team ahead of you will take your guy.

I know this sounds wild right now, but I would even consider cutting SMITH after the season, or see if he can be packaged in some sort of deal.

To me SMITH has been that bad, and if the JETS want to move him after the season, so be it, As one other posted stated, we actually found a QB worse than the USC bum , and I didnt think that was possible.

So I would draft one of the top 3 QBs, bring in a verteren, keep Simms and CUT SMITH and SANCHEZ.

I like the Cousins option. He doesn't fit what the Skins do offensively with RGIII, and they may take a second rounder for him. I agree that Cutler is the only FA worth looking at and he is limited and has an abrasive personality, but after the last three years of inept QB play having a stable, competent veteran would be like nirvana.

just to be debbie downer

Decker is gonna get Denver's franchise tag. Jimmy Graham is gonna get New Orleans' franchise tag. 

the Eagles will not lose both Cooper and Maclin. they will resign one or the other... if Maclin does hit FA he's got serious production (scored a ton of TDs) he's not going to accept one of IDzik's patented vet min offers. 

I could see the Jets pursuing Kenny Britt after he's cut from TEN. Or some other really cheap player. Cause that's what they do. 

keep in mind that any free agents will have to want to play here. Why would Golden Tate come to NY for the chance to work with Geno Smith? It's a career killer.

Collegiate WR's like Beckham and Matthews would be solid options. Please don't bring back Keller - he didn't do squat in his first go round here so why open that kettle of fish? Golden Tate is a young T.O. with warts and all, but he is better than ANYTHING the Jets trot out there. Stephen Hill is finished and Holmes won't be back. Ducasse and Ferguson need to be replaced by actual BLOCKERS and a speed threat is needed at RB. Lots of heads are gonna roll when this season is over starting with Rex, Kyle Wilson, Ducasse, Colon, Ferguson, Nelson, Hill and probably a few more.

just to be debbie downer

Decker is gonna get Denver's franchise tag. Jimmy Graham is gonna get New Orleans' franchise tag. 

the Eagles will not lose both Cooper and Maclin. they will resign one or the other... if Maclin does hit FA he's got serious production (scored a ton of TDs) he's not going to accept one of IDzik's patented vet min offers. 

I could see the Jets pursuing Kenny Britt after he's cut from TEN. Or some other really cheap player. Cause that's what they do. 

keep in mind that any free agents will have to want to play here. Why would Golden Tate come to NY for the chance to work with Geno Smith? It's a career killer.

I think Geno is a goner too. Players go where the money is best and the Jets will have some cap dollars to spend for once. Like you, I hope that Idzik doesn't go the cheap route because that gets you nowhere with guys that have failed elsewhere. Get Kirk Cousins or Jay Cutler for QB and players like Tate will WANT to come here.

Collegiate WR's like Beckham and Matthews would be solid options. Please don't bring back Keller - he didn't do squat in his first go round here so why open that kettle of fish? Golden Tate is a young T.O. with warts and all, but he is better than ANYTHING the Jets trot out there. Stephen Hill is finished and Holmes won't be back. Ducasse and Ferguson need to be replaced by actual BLOCKERS and a speed threat is needed at RB. Lots of heads are gonna roll when this season is over starting with Rex, Kyle Wilson, Ducasse, Colon, Ferguson, Nelson, Hill and probably a few more.

Kyle Wilson stays.  Believe it or not he's the Jets best CB right now.  Holmes is gone, Ducasse is gone, Ferguson stays for sure, Hill probably gets one more year, hopefully not as a starter, Colon actually hasn't played badly

just to be debbie downer

Why do you assume that Idzik gives out the same contracts when he has no money as when he has 50M dollars, besides an agenda?

I know this sounds wild right now, but I would even consider cutting SMITH after the season, or see if he can be packaged in some sort of deal.

There's no point to doing this.  We won't get anything decent back for him, and imagine if he goes and somehow becomes a franchise QB elsewhere?  You at least need to give the new HC an option.  We can easily cut Simms and Garrard, and bring in 2 new QB's to replace them.  Geno, a veteran and a rookie sounds pretty good to me.

I would try to get the dyanamic Duo from Texas A+M:  Manziel to Evans.

The way the Jets are playing right now 5-11 does not seem out of the question. The Giants just won their 5th game last night so they will move behind the Jets. Other teams are making late runs, the Bills will get to 5 wins, and should of had it yesterday. The Jets will surely end up with a top 5 pick, and if you need to trade one of your 12 picks to get one of the top 3 QB's, it is worth moving up even 1 spot if you think that team ahead of you will take your guy.

To me SMITH has been that bad, and if the JETS want to move him after the season, so be it, As one other posted stated, we actually found a QB worse than the USC bum , and I didnt think that was possible.

So I would draft one of the top 3 QBs, bring in a verteren, keep Simms and CUT SMITH and SANCHEZ.

Would love to get both of them, but at this point they both have 1st round grades so it seems like one or the other. The only hope would be if Manziel possibly falls into the 2nd or we can somehow trade down. But at this point I'd take Manziel in the 1st and Matthews in the 2nd. And go after whatever wide receiver the eagle let go in free agency.

Would love to get both of them, but at this point they both have 1st round grades so it seems like one or the other. The only hope would be if Manziel possibly falls into the 2nd or we can somehow trade down. But at this point I'd take Manziel in the 1st and Matthews in the 2nd. 

I really, REALLY don't want Manziel at all.  I don't understand the infatuation with the guy.  He's too small, a lot of his highlight reel plays come on pure luck (and he'd never get away with it in the pros), and his personality isn't the right fit.

I really, REALLY don't want Manziel at all.  I don't understand the infatuation with the guy.  He's too small, a lot of his highlight reel plays come on pure luck (and he'd never get away with it in the pros), and his personality isn't the right fit.

His personality is the perfect fit, this guy is Namath 2.0 in terms of personality, what better personality is their for a qb for the Jets. Also, height is overrated, Brees and Wilson are balling and he's taller then Wilson. His size is a concern for me though in terms of weight, don't know if he'll stay healthy. And I disagree, the guys got insane accuracy on the run and has made serious improvements in terms of his pocket presence and making reads. The kid looks good. And if you don't want Manziel their is always Carr who might potentially fall to us. He's got a big arm, makes good reads, has decent speed, is 6'3. Though to be honest, I'd rather have Manziel.

We have Kerley and nothing else, so in theory and in practice you probably do both.... aggressively.

There's no point to doing this.  We won't get anything decent back for him, and imagine if he goes and somehow becomes a franchise QB elsewhere?  You at least need to give the new HC an option.  We can easily cut Simms and Garrard, and bring in 2 new QB's to replace them.  Geno, a veteran and a rookie sounds pretty good to me.

fair enough.

I think you absolutely have to draft a WR early and then go out and get one in FA.

That one you go after in FA though better have a work ethic like a Reggie Wayne. Don't go getting me another Santonio Holmes diva type.

Go get a TE, get a running back that catch the ball out the backfield.

His personality is the perfect fit, this guy is Namath 2.0 in terms of personality, what better personality is their for a qb for the Jets. Also, height is overrated, Brees and Wilson are balling and he's taller then Wilson. His size is a concern for me though in terms of weight, don't know if he'll stay healthy. And I disagree, the guys got insane accuracy on the run and has made serious improvements in terms of his pocket presence and making reads. The kid looks good. And if you don't want Manziel their is always Carr who might potentially fall to us. He's got a big arm, makes good reads, has decent speed, is 6'3. Though to be honest, I'd rather have Manziel.

On Manziel, I concur 100%. Watch his film from the ALABAMA game. He makes insane throws against the top team in the nation. Although I am not a Carr fan, I would be fine with him but If the top 3 are gone, then I would rather see AJ McCARRON.

I also agree that EVANS is a 1ster also, so getting both would be near impossible. Matthews is a talent also, that would be a huge imprivement to what we have now.

I hope we get Eric Ebron from UNC. He is like Graham and is really a WR/TE hybrid.

North Carolina's Eric Ebron could be NFL's 'next great tight end'
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • 0ap2000000267884.jpg
AP Photo/Gerry Broome North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron could have a major impact on an offense once he gets to the NFL.

The copycat nature of the NFL has prompted several teams to look for an ultra-athletic pass catcher capable of dominating between the hashes. Savvy offensive coordinators are looking to build a dynamic passing game around the next Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates that enters the league.

Based on the buzz circulating in NFL circles, the next great tight end could be North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound junior is a long, rangy basketball-like athlete with size, speed and agility to overwhelm defenders on the second level. He is simply too fast and explosive for most linebackers to shadow down the seam, but is too big and physical for safeties and nickel corners to hold up in coverage. With such a decided advantage against defenders, Ebron offers offensive coordinators an intriguing option to use to create mismatches in space.

Against Miami (Fla.), Ebron's exceptional talent and potential was on display in an eight-catch, 199-yard performance that showcased his versatile skills as a hybrid tight end. He made plays down the seam on vertical routes, while also gaining separation from defenders on short- and intermediate crossing routes. Additionally, Ebron showed the ability to run away from the defense on "catch-and-run" passes, which makes him a dangerous threat in a passing game that places a premium on getting the ball quickly into the hands of playmakers.

From a blocking standpoint, Ebron is a sticky blocker capable of battling physical defenders on the edges. Although he isn't the nastiest or most physical blocker at the point of attack, Ebron does a decent job of using body position to stay in front of defenders to seal the edges. Now, he still needs to make major strides to thrive as an end-line tight end at the next level, but he is certainly a functional blocker capable of staying on the field as a "move" tight end in open formations.

With Ebron flashing some of the same traits that have made Graham and Gates dominant pass catchers in league where athleticism is valued at the tight end position, the North Carolina standout could emerge as the top tight end in the 2014 or 2015 draft class.

Archived