The Jets havent had a true #1 WR since Keyshawn Johnson

joewilly12

I wonder if the Browns entertain the thought of moving Gordon this offseason.

i say we offer two nuber 2s and a 4th  this kid can play his ass off we need somebody like that and the browns QBs are nothing to brag about. or just hope one of the top 3 Wrs in the draft are this good and we can get one

i say we offer two nuber 2s and a 4th  this kid can play his ass off we need somebody like that and the browns QBs are nothing to brag about. or just hope one of the top 3 Wrs in the draft are this good and we can get one

No way in hell the Browns take that deal unless they know the kid started doing drugs again.

Actually, 2 number 2's and a 4th is pretty steep. Thats 3 draft choices and 2 from the second round, which with a good scouting dept should yield very good players. OOOPS, enough said, make the deal.

#1 WR? try #1 anything since Curtis Martin, which may not seem too long ago but I guess I dont have the patience of a snail to get any type of excitement in the offense. We have ZILCH and havent had anything for a long time. 

Everyone raves about our defense, and honestly they do make me proud...but winning makes me more proud. And you cant win these days without a quarterback and at least one other stud receiver/rb. Lets look around the league. Brady/Gronk, Brees/Graham,Stafford/Calvin, Wilson/Lynch, Manning/Pick a receiver, Romo/Dez, You can include even Dalton who is competent and AJ Green, or Alex Smith and Charles. All of the above teams are currently locks or near locks for the playoffs! 

Im not saying get two studs and you are automatically in the playoffs, but its a damn good start. 

One complement I will give though that everyone seems to hate on is our O-line. We have to be in the top half of league which doesnt mean we are great but I dont think it needs to be addressed as urgently as the skill positions. 

Holmes was a number one. He was a freaking SUPER BOWL MVP. Stop acting like this team has never had receivers. The holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Smith combo was the best since Keyshawn and Crebet...

So was Deion Branch and Desmond Howard, neither of which were true #1 WRs. Santonio holmes has only once produced a 1000 yard season and while part of that is being hamstrung by Sanchez, true #1 WRs can put up numbers without quality QB player, much like you have seen this year from Justin Blackmon and Josh Gordon. 

The fact remains that we haven't had a single #1 WR since Keyshawn, which was the original premise of this article.

Gordon is a good idea. Gordon > Sammy Watkins, the best WR in the draft. 

Gordon is a great player, but you'd be paying a premium in compensation for a player who is still one failed test away from a year-long ban and as we've seen with Blackmon, it's a pretty big risk. It's really hard to say what the risk would be without vetting his background, but he's basically what Stephen Hill was drafted to be and that type of receiver not only helps develop the QB, but drastically changes the dynamic of an offense.  I firmly believe without Calvin Johnson, Detroit would be running Stafford out of the building as we speak.

And you cant win these days without a quarterback and at least one other stud receiver/rb. Lets look around the league. Brady/Gronk, Brees/Graham,Stafford/Calvin, Wilson/Lynch, Manning/Pick a receiver, Romo/Dez, You can include even Dalton who is competent and AJ Green, or Alex Smith and Charles. All of the above teams are currently locks or near locks for the playoffs! 

It's true. Even that new Tampa Bay qb is putting up very good numbers because he has a great wide receiver to throw to in V. Jackson.

and no franchise running back since Freeman....

and no franchise running back since Freeman....

Jets have an opportunity to get a rb and qb now with top oc as coach,

lets hope the next Namath and Mc Neil come out of it, don't think the new

regime won't draft running backs high, they will because its an offensive

regime, defense gets free agent make over, offense gets picks and free

agents.  

Gordon is a great player, but you'd be paying a premium in compensation for a player who is still one failed test away from a year-long ban and as we've seen with Blackmon, it's a pretty big risk. It's really hard to say what the risk would be without vetting his background, but he's basically what Stephen Hill was drafted to be and that type of receiver not only helps develop the QB, but drastically changes the dynamic of an offense.  I firmly believe without Calvin Johnson, Detroit would be running Stafford out of the building as we speak.

Look, Calvin Johnson is a once in a lifetime type receiver, and a future HOF, but no one would be running Matthew Stafford out of the building.

That dude is fearless, has an absolute cannon attached to his right shoulder, makes incredible throws all over the field, and is tough. He is the epitomy of a Franchise QB, and was well worth the top pick in the draft.

Wow, thats like saying that without Jerry Rice, they would be running Montana out of San Francisco. The JETS should be so lucky to EVER have a QB the caliber of Matt Stafford that they could run out of the building.

Good points, I have now distanced myself from the thought. Watkins is pretty badass anyway. 

Look, Calvin Johnson is a once in a lifetime type receiver, and a future HOF, but no one would be running Matthew Stafford out of the building.

That dude is fearless, has an absolute cannon attached to his right shoulder, makes incredible throws all over the field, and is tough. He is the epitomy of a Franchise QB, and was well worth the top pick in the draft.

Wow, thats like saying that without Jerry Rice, they would be running Montana out of San Francisco. The JETS should be so lucky to EVER have a QB the caliber of Matt Stafford that they could run out of the building.

I'm aware Calvin Johnson is a HOF player, but you also have to be aware that Lions fans were absolutely shredding this kid after his first two years in the league and prematurely calling him a bust, much like our fans do with our players..as does every fan base.  The thing is, if he were stuck with Nate Burleson, Pettigrew and Scheffler, you'd be hard pressed to see him even come close to the numbers he's recently put up. Watch them play, not only does JOhnson routinely bail him out and make it easier for other receivers, but when in doubt, Stafford will just chuck it up into double and triple coverage. 

He's turned himself into a very good QB, but you can see the bad Stafford still come out, especially when Johnson isn't in the game. The point I'm trying to make is that one elite receiver can make the job of the QB and the offense a whole better. It'd be nice to have our QB develop with someone like that. Granted, an elite receiver can't make a sh*tty QB good, so we might we stuck there as well.

Good points, I have now distanced myself from the thought. Watkins is pretty badass anyway. 

Watkins is phenom, but there's a couple of guys that I really really like this year outside of Watkins and Lee: Odell Beckham JR, Brandin Cooks and Jordan Matthews are all guys that I think can become big time players.

Archived