Why The Jets Could Never Get A QB Like Andrew Luck

SoFlaJets

How is that remotely comparable to the position the Jets have been???

The Giants and Broncos each had the 4th overall pick in the 2004 and 1983 drafts, respectively and traded for a QB taken 1st overall.

The last time the Jets had a top 4 pick was 2006 and they took D'Brick.  The highest drafted QB was Vince Young.  You wanted the Jets to "trade up" for a Franchise guy then?  The Jets simply have not been in a position to make those type of trades.

Uh, your post said that the "only reason the Jets havent been able to get a QB like Manning" is because they dont have the overall #1 pick, and I was just pointing out other teams that did not have the overall #1 pick because of their record, but did acquire it by trade.

So it is possible to get the #1 pick, even if you havent "earned" it by your record, correct?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is that remotely comparable to the position the Jets have been???

The Giants and Broncos each had the 4th overall pick in the 2004 and 1983 drafts, respectively and traded for a QB taken 1st overall.

The last time the Jets had a top 4 pick was 2006 and they took D'Brick. The highest drafted QB was Vince Young. You wanted the Jets to "trade up" for a Franchise guy then? The Jets simply have not been in a position to make those type of trades.

We just need to convince the next great QB he only wants to play in Rex Ryans high flying offense and force the trade, not that difficult

Luck was an almost can not miss prospect- there obviously irare players and certainly no one in this draft fits that to sacrifice everything for

I thought in another thread that they said that their are scouts and GM's saying Teddy is one of the best to come into the NFL in the past 10 years.

All a smoke screen?

I thought in another thread that they said that their are scouts and GM's saying Teddy is one of the best to come into the NFL in the past 10 years.

All a smoke screen?

I have not seen anything like that

Uh, your post said that the "only reason the Jets havent been able to get a QB like Manning" is because they dont have the overall #1 pick, and I was just pointing out other teams that did not have the overall #1 pick because of their record, but did acquire it by trade.

So it is possible to get the #1 pick, even if you havent "earned" it by your record, correct?

Of course it's possible to trade for the #1 pick.  Never said it was impossible.  Heck, Parcells traded away the No. 1 pick.

But that still doesn't change the fact that when the best QB prospect in a generation was available the Jets didn't have the No. 1 pick.  They also didn't have a top 4 pick in which they could trade up for that player.

Also, the Jets DID trade up to draft a Franchise QB in 2009.  They were simply wrong in their evaluation of Sanchez.

I have not seen anything like that

Neither have I (on any official websites or publications), but someone mentioned that in another thread.

Do I think Teddy is worth the "Griffin deal"? probably not, but if Teddy or Johnny Jet, for some crazy reason start to fall, that Idzik would be prepared to pull the trigger on a trade to a couple higher spots, if need be, to get one of these guys.

All a smoke screen?

Let's assume then that Teddy is "that" QB.  Once again, the Jets are not in a position to trade up to No. 1 to get him.  That's the problem.

Jets had the No. 1 pick in back to back years and there wasn't a worthy franchise QB to draft.  Crappy draft luck.

Neither have I (on any official websites or publications), but someone mentioned that in another thread.

Do I think Teddy is worth the "Griffin deal"? probably not, but if Teddy or Johnny Jet, for some crazy reason start to fall, that Idzik would be prepared to pull the trigger on a trade to a couple higher spots, if need be, to get one of these guys.

Unless it was Bit it was just somebody talking out their ass, he's the only well regarded scout on here.

And not that I dont disagree with most of what you said, but we can get a guy like ANDREW LUCK without the so called "tanking" IF, we have a GM and owner who are willing to take a risk, bundle up some picks and move up to #1 or #2, and finally take that "Andrew Luck" or whoever you think is a REAL franchise QB.

We can continue to draft projects and sign FA discards but in reality, you are correct, unless someone finally steps up and takes a chance in this organization.

They have tried that: Sanchez. Of course that didn't work out, but to say they haven't even gambled or tried is not correct.

They have tried that: Sanchez. Of course that didn't work out, but to say they haven't even gambled or tried is not correct.

So because SANCHEZ was a disaster, do we now give up, and not keep trying. Just be satisfied with the 18th pick and draft a free safety.

TRY AGAIN, and keep trying until you get that guy. Period.

They may never tank a season to get a player like a luck, but they had every opportunity to not tank a season and get a Russell Willson or a Nick Foles or a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers etc. 

You dont need to tank your season to draft talent, you simply need scouts who recognize talent. I seriously feel that Idzik will go down as the best GM we've ever had, especially if he continues to make picks like Sheldon Richardson (and he did that before even bringing in his own scouts).  

Wait don't you know that was Rex's pick? I mean he has his way in the draft with picking defensive players as I understand it!

So because SANCHEZ was a disaster, do we now give up, and not keep trying. Just be satisfied with the 18th pick and draft a free safety.

TRY AGAIN, and keep trying until you get that guy. Period.

Who is giving up? No one is giving up. To suggest that anyone within the Jets organization has "given up" is ridiculously stupid. 

I nominate Tom Shane, CTM and Pac.

Great list.  We need a couple of more though because those guys are too soft to bear it all.

It's certainly not my fault.  I'm all on board for dumping next season for Jameis Winston.  I'm a great fan.  If the Jets had more fans like me we'd be the bestest team ever with Andrew Lucks at every position.

And not that I dont disagree with most of what you said, but we can get a guy like ANDREW LUCK without the so called "tanking" IF, we have a GM and owner who are willing to take a risk, bundle up some picks and move up to #1 or #2, and finally take that "Andrew Luck" or whoever you think is a REAL franchise QB.

We can continue to draft projects and sign FA discards but in reality, you are correct, unless someone finally steps up and takes a chance in this organization.

Tanny did that to move up to 5 and draft Sanchez.... Just sayin'

there's an andrew luck once a generation. it was just ... luck. 

Luck may be once in a generation but Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the game and he was available into the mid-20's.  

Brady and Brees are pretty good QB's too and neither of them went in the top 10.  

The problem with tanking the season is that it usually costs the coach and GM their jobs.    Indy may have gotten Luck but the HC and GM got the boot.   Same goes for the Texans this season Kubiak.   

If anything, this was the year for the Jets to sh*t the bed.   The offense was one step above high school, the cap was hosed, but somehow they ground out 8 wins, which in hindsight is pretty impressive.  

Tanny did that to move up to 5 and draft Sanchez.... Just sayin'

I already addressed this, and got lambasted by suggesting that because the Jets got burned by moving up to get SANCHEZ, that they would now run scared and not want to trade up again for another shot at a Franchise guy.

Which is obviously the completely WRONG thing to do. They should try again, and if means using picks to trade up, then do it because until this franchise gets a REAL QB , we are destined to finish around .500, and be picking around 16-18 and getting some free safety or inside Linebacker.

And if the next huy is horrible, then try again, but dont say "oh we got burned by Sanchez so now we are going to play it safe", WOW, letting some bum from USC completely dominate the decisions of a franchise. NO WAY, NO HOW.

I already addressed this, and got lambasted by suggesting that because the Jets got burned by moving up to get SANCHEZ, that they would now run scared and not want to trade up again for another shot at a Franchise guy.

Which is obviously the completely WRONG thing to do. They should try again, and if means using picks to trade up, then do it because until this franchise gets a REAL QB , we are destined to finish around .500, and be picking around 16-18 and getting some free safety or inside Linebacker.

And if the next huy is horrible, then try again, but dont say "oh we got burned by Sanchez so now we are going to play it safe", WOW, letting some bum from USC completely dominate the decisions of a franchise. NO WAY, NO HOW.

This is what this Jets fan wants to see happen, draft a QB every year-EVERY year. The problem with Tannenbaum is we try every 3 years or so and say "SEE!! we can't get a franchise guy, let's get Rex that big hybrid DE/LBer that he wants"

Who have we drafted at that position? Let's see:

2013-Geno Smith 2nd Rd

2012-nobody

2011 7th rounder Greg McElroy,

2010-no one

2009 Sanchez 1st round

2008 Erik Ainge 5th round

2007-none

2006-Clemens in the 2nd

2005-none 

2004-none

2003 Brooks Bollinger 6th round

2002-none

2001-none

2000-Chad Pennington

This is the Jets under this ownership. So every 7 years the team takes a chance on a franchise QB in the 1st round and 2 second rounders, which means every 3 years it makes a real attempt at drafting a franchise QB...it's not good enough when the best you've drafted is Chad Pennington

11 times they have spent their 1st round picks on DE/LBer guys and CBs to so-so results

Archived