Jets exploring Ben Tate and Donald Brown

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate

ESPN New York "hears" the Jets are "exploring" free agents Ben Tate and Donald Brown.

Odd. The Jets' running back situation is about the only one that appears to be set on the offensive side of the ball, with Chris Ivory an early-down pounder and Bilal Powell working best as a passing-down back. However, we know coach Rex Ryan is a big believer in running the ball down the defense's throat. Tate is the top free-agent back but is extremely injury-prone like Ivory.

As much as I like Ivory, I'd love to have a back that is versatile.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate

ESPN New York "hears" the Jets are "exploring" free agents Ben Tate and Donald Brown.

Odd. The Jets' running back situation is about the only one that appears to be set on the offensive side of the ball, with Chris Ivory an early-down pounder and Bilal Powell working best as a passing-down back. However, we know coach Rex Ryan is a big believer in running the ball down the defense's throat. Tate is the top free-agent back but is extremely injury-prone like Ivory.

As much as I like Ivory, I'd love to have a back that is versatile.

Which D-Linemen are we interested in?

kinda weird.  it seems to me all they need is a screen back, and these guys don't really fit that

unless it means they are dumping one of the starters

Powell is a nice piece but if they see Tate as an upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if they signed Tate and released Powell.  Ivory is a guy I'm looking forward to seeing next season if he can stay healthy.  Powell is productive but basically feels like JAG to me.  Replaceable part.

I want to see reports of the jets showing interest in every single quality free agent. I want to see idzik working diligently  towards making this team better, looking in every crack and under every rock and at the same time leaving the rest of the nfl clueless as to what idzik will ultimately pull off. same goes for the draft. no more having rex telling draftees that he is their pick. smoke screen, cat & mouse, whatever you want to call it. get every bit of info you possibly can without tipping your hand.

I want to see reports of the jets showing interest in every single quality free agent. I want to see idzik working diligently  towards making this team better, looking in every crack and under every rock and at the same time leaving the rest of the nfl clueless as to what idzik will ultimately pull off. same goes for the draft. no more having rex telling draftees that he is their pick. smoke screen, cat & mouse, whatever you want to call it. get every bit of info you possibly can without tipping your hand.

I also want to see reports where he's visiting prisons checking on former NFL prospects as well.

Him not having a role when we bring in a guy who can catch.

You can never have too many solid RBs. That's what Powell is and his contract is not expensive. Anyone they bring in via FA will be. If they cut Goodson they should draft a RB for sure, but it won't be at the expense of Powell. You don't create holes on a team that already has a ton.

You can never have too many solid RBs. That's what Powell is and his contract is not expensive. Anyone they bring in via FA will be. If they cut Goodson they should draft a RB for sure, but it won't be at the expense of Powell. You don't create holes on a team that already has a ton.

Off the field issues aside, Goodson's more talented than Powell. I like Powell too as he's a coaches pet type of player....but he's a jag. Doesn't have enough elusiveness to be your 3rd down back.

3-headed monster of Tate, Ivory and Powell = never throwing the football again.

I'm curious why they'd bother with a FA RB though, unless they do in fact plan to bundle picks for a move up. I'd rather draft a RB with more years of production ahead of him. Tate won't be Tate without Kubiak's zone blocking scheme, imo.

I'm curious why they'd bother with a FA RB though, unless they do in fact plan to bundle picks for a move up. I'd rather draft a RB with more years of production ahead of him. Tate won't be Tate without Kubiak's zone blocking scheme, imo.

I hate when I have to agree with you, but on this, I do.

If true, I'd guess this means the Jets are probably considering sending Goodson packing, and at the very least both are much better receivers than Ivory.

Tate would be a huge signing and give our Offense instant credibility once we add a few WR's ... Now whose going to QB this group is the big question.

They are going to throw the football APE they are just NOT going to sling it all over the field 60 % of the time like some teams do. I would not mind a 60/40 run first team if we had a QB like a Russell Wilson to pull it off and play mistake free football. A running game and a Great Defense is just as viable as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady slinging the ball all over the field then choking come playoff time :)

They are going to throw the football APE they are just NOT going to sling it all over the field 60 % of the time like some teams do. I would not mind a 60/40 run first team if we had a QB like a Russell Wilson to pull it off and play mistake free football. A running game and a Great Defense is just as viable as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady slinging the ball all over the field then choking come playoff time :)

Yeah, I know. It was an exaggeration. ;)

Yeah, I know. It was an exaggeration. ;)

I know it was an exaggeration but with that being said you would still probably want to throw the football more or you would not have said that in the first place. Those 3  backs would be awesome IMO and adding a few Possession receivers to the mix would be huge. Screw the speed give me a guy who can move the chains like a Keyshawn any day.

I know it was an exaggeration but with that being said you would still probably want to throw the football more or you would not have said that in the first place. Those 3  backs would be awesome IMO and adding a few Possession receivers to the mix would be huge. Screw the speed give me a guy who can move the chains like a Keyshawn any day.

Nah. I don't care how much we throw the ball, as long as we finally break out of this "our QB has 20+ turnovers a year" funk we've been in since Favre...

Archived