Jets to try and keep Geno under 20 passes per game

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone is taking that number literally but more as an indication of the overall philosophy. I think most of us are tired of having to play hide-the-quarterback and don't think it incredibly far-fetched to believe that we're going to continue doing it.

I think many of us also remember the wins against New Orleans and Atlanta in which he threw 19 and 20 passes in those games. So no, not that much of a stretch.

Exactly. There's not going to be any sort of pitch count -if there's any truth to this- they'll just be looking to be more of a rushing based offense, and defensive based team. This surprises people? It's always been Rex's philosophy, and it's the same philosophy Idzik recently left. The philosophy that won the last Super Bowl. They're probably looking at guys like Wilson and Kaepernick, and want Geno to emulate their play somewhat. Make smart throws, and if the smart throw isn't there tuck it and run.

1) It isn't a quote of anyone.

2) One doesn't know the context of the quote, assuming it's true. As GL said in the prior post, in the NO and Atl games he threw 19x and 20x.  Could be an off-the-cuff comment like, "Well he did great against the Saints and Atlanta so maybe we should say from game 1 onward that we'll keep Geno to 20 attempts or less hahaha."  Then it gets reported as "Jets want to keep Geno Smith to 20 attempts or less."  Meanwhile no one goes a season throwing the ball 20x or less per game for a season. 

I think it's a given that Ryan doesn't want Smith, or Sanchez before him, or any other bottom-ranked QB throwing 30-40x per game.  Everyone assumes this would still be the desire if a top-tier QB was on the team, and that Sanchez and rookie Geno would have each been awesome but for Ryan being the HC, and this alleged "quote" fulfills this fantasy.

I neither hate nor love Ryan -- catch me during the right game and I'll profess one or the other.  Around here that is tantamount to wanting him extended for the next 25 years. But I think it's a given if Geno was better he'd want him to pass more in general. I also think he doesn't call any offensive plays and leaves that to his OC as most HC's do (and I guarantee that Carroll does and has done).  I love the imaginary notion that Pete Carroll was spending hours 1-on-1 with Russell Wilson working on his footwork and throwing angle that sucked until this awesome coaching job. Petey had such a great history of developing NFL QBs that it is totally believable.  Also had great confidence in his ability to find and develop one which is why Seattle forked over big dollars for Matt Flynn (brilliant move, by the way, by an astute judge of QB talent). Just like he develops elite WRs from nothing, which is why Seattle keeps massively overpaying for veteran WRs to come to Seattle.  Throw that on top of all the RBs Seattle has drafted and developed.  How many veteran RBs has Carroll brought in there, I forget now.  Carroll didn't "develop" Russell Wilson; Russell Wilson saved Pete Carroll's career as an NFL head coach.

If Geno Smith stinks as badly as he did as a rookie, it's boring to watch but they'll win more games if he throws less, just like with Sanchez.  Is it painful to watch as well? You bet, but not as painful as watching him turn it over by unnecessarily throwing it on running downs (with a good/productive ground attack), or taking unnecessary chances when we have a lead and control of the game.

I would have preferred this not get leaked as the Jets are about to try to woo free agent WRs to NY, though.  Pauline is some great Jets fan.  Not even a quoted source and then throws this out there with free agency starting tomorrow.  What a douche.  As a supposed Jets fan, Pauline is about as smart as the people who think that Pete Carroll acting as some type of QB coach is the reason Russell Wilson developed as he has.  Ditto Belichick with Brady, Roethlisberger with Cowher, Flacco with Harbaugh (probably the silliest of all), and Ryan with Smith, among others whose specialty/success at the NFL level, before becoming a HC, was 100% purely on defense or on freaking special teams.

Boooo Ryan.  Sanchez would have been great without him! Geno Smith would have been an awesome rookie QB with someone else at HC!! Boooooooooo!!!

OK so what happens when the other team has 8 in the box and stops the run? Which is what every team will do next season. If you do not trust your QB to throw more than 20 times then you need a new QB. I guess we are looking at the Mark Sanchez experiment all over again. I think we are looking at 6-10 and a new coach for 2015.

Let's see what the Jets decide to do during FA and the draft in the way of bringing in some offensive talent before we go and anoint this offense as going back to ground and pound.

If the Jets draft a WR and or sign one in FA and Geno develops some chemistry with him, and the Jets go and get a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield (Sproles ?) then maybe we won't be that ground and pound team that alot of people here seem to dread.

I have no problem with the Jets being a team that runs the ball more than it passes. Of course they are going to have to pass but that doesn't mean they need to be throwing the ball 70,75, 80 percent of the time. Nor should they be running the ball that much.

I would have preferred this not get leaked as the Jets are about to try to woo free agent WRs to NY, though. Pauline is some great Jets fan. Not even a quoted source and then throws this out there with free agency starting tomorrow. What a douche. As a supposed Jets fan, Pauline is about as smart as the people who think that Pete Carroll acting as some type of QB coach is the reason Russell Wilson developed as he has. Ditto Belichick with Brady, Roethlisberger with Cowher, Flacco with Harbaugh (probably the silliest of all), and Ryan with Smith, among others whose specialty/success at the NFL level, before becoming a HC, was 100% purely on defense or on freaking special teams.

Boooo Ryan. Sanchez would have been great without him! Geno Smith would have been an awesome rookie QB with someone else at HC!! Boooooooooo!!!

Wow. Pauline is a draft expert who has press credentials and sources. So what if he parroted something he was fed and didn't attach a name to it? The horror! And the facts remain as such: Rex hasn't g&p since 2010 & the OC is a WCO guy. How are you being so easily trolled on a potential pre FA smokescreen?

Wow. Pauline is a draft expert who has press credentials and sources. So what if he parroted something he was fed and didn't attach a name to it? The horror! And the facts remain as such: Rex hasn't g&p since 2010 & the OC is a WCO guy. How are you being so easily trolled on a potential pre FA smokescreen?

That's not where I'm coming from.  

I'm saying FA WRs and their agents are going to read this.  As a Jets fan I don't give a crap what one person's opinion is over another's.  As a fan of a team in need of receiving weapons, on the eve of free agency, I don't like someone making Idzik's job more difficult.  A statement like this can mean the Jets have to ante up more than otherwise - maybe - and in doing so limits what they can do elsewhere.  Otherwise I don't care.  If he had quoted someone directly, then my ire would be at that quoted individual rather than Pauline.

The quote doesn't bother me since it's silly.  It's the timing of printing it that I take issue with.

When you end a statement with a strong dose of snark ie "thanks for playing", you're generally not going to encourage the best qualities of your the chap you're debating, or those in agreement with his point of view.

Meh.

I was responding to a poster talking nonsense about Rex that had no validity, no reason for another poster to jump in like that. 

Bottom line is win games.

I don't care if we only pass 2 times a game if we win. I would love to have a dynamic passing game, but if given a choice of winning a SB and having a ground and pound offense vs. having a dynamic passing game and not winning the SB, give me the ground and pound and the SB every time. I think we are getting a SB this year. Ground and Pound all damn day baby! VIVA REX!

Bottom line is win games.

I don't care if we only pass 2 times a game if we win. I would love to have a dynamic passing game, but if given a choice of winning a SB and having a ground and pound offense vs. having a dynamic passing game and not winning the SB, give me the ground and pound and the SB every time. I think we are getting a SB this year. Ground and Pound all damn day baby! VIVA REX!

if it makes you feel any better, neither of those are available choices.

That's not where I'm coming from.

I'm saying FA WRs and their agents are going to read this. As a Jets fan I don't give a crap what one person's opinion is over another's. As a fan of a team in need of receiving weapons, on the eve of free agency, I don't like someone making Idzik's job more difficult. A statement like this can mean the Jets have to ante up more than otherwise - maybe - and in doing so limits what they can do elsewhere. Otherwise I don't care. If he had quoted someone directly, then my ire would be at that quoted individual rather than Pauline.

The quote doesn't bother me since it's silly. It's the timing of printing it that I take issue with.

Maybe. The Jets get so much absurd press that I'm just not so sure on what Pauline says being what an agent or player is going to make a major decision on. If John and Rex call up Hakeem Nicks and make him an offer I'm pretty sure the Nicks party will take that seriously. However, if by the same token you're arguing, that the article serves to mislead other competition, maybe that makes our job easier. Who ever really knows though.

Yeah I doubt he made this up out of thin air...a scoops a scoop. If the Jets are willing to pay, they'll come regardless.

I also think there's more context to it rather than it being a season-long plan on offense, and that context was left out.  It's not even possible to pass under 20x per game for 16 games.  Even if Rex was too stupid to know this I guarantee Mornhinweg isn't.

"I'm not saying we should pass under 20x per game."  

It is accurate to quote the above person as saying "We should pass under 20x per game."

Also, "We should keep Geno under 20 attempts per game IF he's still turning it over like crazy and IF the score and situation allows it."  This can get reported as "Jets want to keep Geno Smith to under 20 attempts per game," without making it up out of thin air.  

Taken as a single quote one doesn't know the context and it is not believable that anyone would want to - as Villain said - hold one's QB to under 5 pass attempts per quarter for an entire season.  Not being made up out of thin air doesn't mean it's 100% accurate as a stand-alone statement either.

Maybe. The Jets get so much absurd press that I'm just not so sure on what Pauline says being what an agent or player is going to make a major decision on. If John and Rex call up Hakeem Nicks and make him an offer I'm pretty sure the Nicks party will take that seriously. However, if by the same token you're arguing, that the article serves to mislead other competition, maybe that makes our job easier. Who ever really knows though.

Yeah.  But I don't know how that makes our job easier, other than looking to add FAs who are part of the ground attack.

Marty is much more run oriented than your average WCO guy. The people who hate Rex, and thought Idzik was gonna come in here and fire him at his first opportunity don't get it. Before Idzik was associated with the Seahawks, he spent a decade with Tampa Bay watching them suck under offensive genius Sam Wyche before turning it around with the boring Tony Dungy and the Alstott-Dunn combo at RB. Idzik and Rex are on the same page when it comes to putting a team together, and Marty is a good choice for them as OC.

Jet fans should look forward to John Idzik moving on. The Bucs and Seahawks both won the Super Bowl the year after he left them.

Marty is much more run oriented than your average WCO guy. The people who hate Rex, and thought Idzik was gonna come in here and fire him at his first opportunity don't get it. Before Idzik was associated with the Seahawks, he spent a decade with Tampa Bay watching them suck under offensive genius Sam Wyche before turning it around with the boring Tony Dungy and the Alstott-Dunn combo at RB. Idzik and Rex are on the same page when it comes to putting a team together, and Marty is a good choice for them as OC.

Jet fans should look forward to John Idzik moving on. The Bucs and Seahawks both won the Super Bowl the year after he left them.

The common complaint in Philly was the misuse of LeSean McCoy under Mornhinweg.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/16/marty-mornhinweg-defends-eagles-use-of-lesean-mccoy/

Yeah I doubt he made this up out of thin air...a scoops a scoop. If the Jets are willing to pay, they'll come regardless.

Offensive players who have been cute loose because of $$$ contracts, and are looking for a one-year deal to leverage into another multi-year contract, are the ones who will balk if they see the Jets' offense stuck in the mud.  Highly motivated, proven commodities willing to bust hump for one season are the high-value fill-in guys.  Sure, players that the team breaks the bank for on multi-year deals will not be deterred -- but these players will burn the excess cap money very quickly. 

The common complaint in Philly was the misuse of LeSean McCoy under Mornhinweg.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/16/marty-mornhinweg-defends-eagles-use-of-lesean-mccoy/

I thought Morninweg was just a puppet and Reid really ran that offense. Or is that only when the offense scores TDs, but when they sucked it was Mornhinweg? Please, I need clarification.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith

According to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, the Jets intend to "lessen the load" on Geno Smith in his second NFL season, and hope to keep Smith "under 20 passes per game."

Pauline is mostly a draft guru, but gets a fair number of NFL team scoops. He says the Jets plan to re-implement "a more run oriented offense in 2014 in an attempt to exploit their strengths." They obviously don't consider Geno a strength. The Jets played this style of offense for years with Mark Sanchez at the helm, and qualified for two AFC Championship games. They'll attempt to "hide" their quarterback with a strong defense and higher-volume rushing attack.

G&P FTW

At Geno's current completion percentage, they obviously think they can survive on 11 completions a game. Good luck, Jets!!

what is so great about the Jet running game?  This is a laughable strategy and I think MM would resign  on the spot if they told him that was their plan.  A lot of rubbish.

what is so great about the Jet running game?  This is a laughable strategy and I think MM would resign  on the spot if they told him that was their plan.  A lot of rubbish.

The Jets running game was better than 26 other NFL teams last year under Mornhinweg.

Offensive players who have been cute loose because of $$$ contracts, and are looking for a one-year deal to leverage into another multi-year contract, are the ones who will balk if they see the Jets' offense stuck in the mud.  Highly motivated, proven commodities willing to bust hump for one season are the high-value fill-in guys.  Sure, players that the team breaks the bank for on multi-year deals will not be deterred -- but these players will burn the excess cap money very quickly. 

The only thing is those receivers looking at signing a 1 year show-me deal weren't going to come to the Jets with this "leak" or without it.  Since the draft isn't for another month & a half, and since we're not adding Drew Brees in free agency, it probably doesn't matter. But it doesn't help the Jets attract free agent receivers all the same. It can only do harm, or do nothing.

The Jets running game was better than 26 other NFL teams last year under Mornhinweg.

I watched the Jets.  That just tells me that other teams are abandoning the run as a primary weapon.  It does not tell me that it spells wins for the Jets.

Archived