Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you guys were worried.

I know nothing about the guy, but.....

Adam Schefter: Jets making strong push to sign Seahawks free-agent OT Breno Giacomini, who's on his way to visit team Wednesday.

28 years old, graded out slightly higher than Howard this past year, probably thought of well by the player personnel Idzik brought with him from Seattle.  Again, if Idzik signs Breno for less money than Howard, this overreaction to not signing him is going to look silly.

It's still a possibility that Idzik didn't want to pay $9.5 million to Davis or Talib and is working on a deal with DRC for less as we speak and figures if he has to spend on a RT, he might as well spend it on someone like Strief who's actually worth the money.  I know it seems odd that we haven't made moves, but Idzik doesn't strike me as someone who's going to make rash moves or zero moves at all.  

A lot of this sky is falling will look rather silly if Idzik is able to bring in one of Munerlyn/DRC, Strief/Campbell/Britton and Jones/Tate/Sanders, without having to overpay.  

You're a far better man than me. I have zero faith in anything from this franchise so long as Woody Johnson owns the team. I legit believe there's no plan here. The dude is Dolan-light, and he's just done a really good job of hiding that because he's a skeevy and methodical nincompoop.

Ah, gotta love the good ole Jets fans.  We've heard non-stop for months how the Jets priorities need to begin, end, and be nothing else but WRs, and most certainly not continue to waste their time and money on this defense nonsense.  Day 1 of FA comes and the first wave of signings is almost entirely DBs, while absolutely no WRs are signed, yet somehow the Jets are forever doomed by it.

Now don't get me wrong, the Jets suck and I freely admit that, but them not prioritizing DB in FA just because a bunch of other teams decided to do so could not possibly have less to do with any of the reasons why.

I think the contracts that these guys signed plus the fact that we have tons of cap space and no clue about who is going to play opposite Milliner (who is no guarantee of anything himself) makes people a little antsy. The reports of us being interested in every single free agent that was available didn't help much either.

It's still a possibility that Idzik didn't want to pay $9.5 million to Davis or Talib and is working on a deal with DRC for less as we speak and figures if he has to spend on a RT, he might as well spend it on someone like Strief who's actually worth the money.  I know it seems odd that we haven't made moves, but Idzik doesn't strike me as someone who's going to make rash moves or zero moves at all.  

A lot of this sky is falling will look rather silly if Idzik is able to bring in one of Munerlyn/DRC, Strief/Campbell/Britton and Jones/Tate/Sanders, without having to overpay.  

First, you're now relying on a lot to go right. We can probably get one of those corners and one of the tackles, but none of them standout all too much. Then there are other teams in the wide receiver market that will be competing with us on the them, and not a whole lot to go around. 

Second, even if we signed one from each of those categories, we've only moderately upgraded the team, and we're leaving a whole bunch of cap space unused. You don't have to spend all of it, not at all. But there's no reason why you shouldn't spend 50% or 75% of it.

Because I don't believe this is an intentional effort on Idzik's part to sit tight with the money and wait it out. I think this is a reflection of how the Jets are viewed in NFL circles. The buffoon owner halwaying it with the buffoon coach, resulting in a buffoon franchise. There is no plan here. This is an overly involved dipsh*t owner porking the ORG chart, turning his franchise into Oakland East.

But the Cleveland Browns can make moves because their ownership and management isn't a joke? Please.

It's been 8 f*cking hours guy, relax.  Howard is a JAG, and I was advocating paying Strief the same contract as Howard, because if you have to fork over the cash you should do it to someone who was worth it, like Strief.  Besides age, he's an upgrade to Howard in pretty much every facet.  Again, it's been 8 hours, every single one of the offensive skill position players that we were all fawning over have still yet to be signed:  Tate, Sanders, Jones, Decker, MJD, Nicks,  Pettigrew, Chandler, Dickson etc.  Is it possible Idzik is working on improving other positions besides #1 CB and OT?  Just let things unfold and at least wait more than 24 hours.

Likewise, almost every single one of the defensive players that we were all fawning over have signed, and most of the linemen as well.

Let me see if I understand this. The Saints started the off-season way over the cap. They go out and get Byrd, and somehow they still hang on to Sproles in an attempt to trade him.

We start out with about $30 million under the cap, cut 2 big contracts, can't re-sign a mediocre right tackle and sit back and watch while almost all of the noticeable corners, safeties, tackles and guards sign elsewhere.

Is this making sense to anyone?

Yes because we have no QB and no chance to compete.  Well maybe not. Thought that made sense. Money talks bullsh*t walks regardless of a team's chances to compete for a Super Bowl.       

You're a far better man than me. I have zero faith in anything from this franchise so long as Woody Johnson owns the team. I legit believe there's no plan here. The dude is Dolan-light, and he's just done a really good job of hiding that because he's a skeevy and methodical nincompoop.

I could be dead wrong, I fully admit that, but from everything that has been reported about Idzik suggests that he's extremely bright, has an actual plan and does not make rash decisions.  To me, letting the market settle on the first day is a smart move, unless you're the Broncos and are a player or two from the SB or the dolphins and hemorrhaged 60% of your offensive line.  

Howard is a feel-good story becuase of how he came up in the organization, but for all intents and purposes, is nothing more than a JAG, or JAG+.  Letting all those guys sign and then bringing in someone like Breno is a perfect move: you save money and get the same or slightly higher caliber of play as you would have got anyway.  That's not to mention the number of WRs and TEs that haven't signed yet.  I think we should table the panic for a few days, I think most of us will be pleased.

please stop throwing DRC as a fix for cb. dude is a bum

First, you're now relying on a lot to go right. We can probably get one of those corners and one of the tackles, but none of them standout all too much. Then there are other teams in the wide receiver market that will be competing with us on the them, and not a whole lot to go around. 

Second, even if we signed one from each of those categories, we've only moderately upgraded the team, and we're leaving a whole bunch of cap space unused. You don't have to spend all of it, not at all. But there's no reason why you shouldn't spend 50% or 75% of it.

I'm giving options, all of which you guys don't seem to think we have.  We've all been following the draft and off-season long enough to know that you don't win on opening day, you just don't. Lets let it all play out before we panic. Outside of Davis, there wasn't really another defensive player that I was interested in signing, but either way, I'm willing to let more than the first 8 hours go by before hitting the panic button.

It's been eight hours man, it'll be fine. When Idzik flips Howard and Cro for Giocomini and DRC, this will all have looked extremely foolish.

Here's what I know: Idzik will find enough players to give Rex and the team will finish 8-8 and Woody Johnson will treat it like we won the Super Bowl because @Manish_Mehta's Twitter feed told him to.

I'm giving options, all of which you guys don't seem to think we have.  We've all been following the draft and off-season long enough to know that you don't win on opening day, you just don't. Lets let it all play out before we panic. Outside of Davis, there wasn't really another defensive player that I was interested in signing, but either way, I'm willing to let more than the first 8 hours go by before hitting the panic button.

We have options, the problem is we don't have any great options---they're all disappearing before our eyes. Give you an example, Tate is visiting Detroit. Suppose he signs there?

None of you want to pay for Decker, OK, cross him off.

That leaves Sanders... Nicks... who else? Britt? Lots of teams have receiver needs besides us. The Patriots, the Ravens, etc. 

We have options, the problem is we don't have any great options---they're all disappearing before our eyes. Give you an example, Tate is visiting Detroit. Suppose he signs there?

None of you want to pay for Decker, OK, cross him off.

That leaves Sanders... Nicks... who else? Britt? Lots of teams have receiver needs besides us. The Patriots, the Ravens, etc. 

I still like DRC and Captain Munerlyn a whole lot, would like to sign Sanders or Jones and possibly Pettigrew.  There's a lot of talent left out there man.

I still like DRC and Captain Munerlyn a whole lot, would like to sign Sanders or Jones and possibly Pettigrew.  There's a lot of talent left out there man.

With the number of available quality free agents dwindling, do we really think Idzik is going to now outbid somebody for a player he wants?

With the number of available quality free agents dwindling, do we really think Idzik is going to now outbid somebody for a player he wants?

Right, that's what doesn't make sense to me. How do you improve your leverage by getting into bidding wars for all of the free agent scraps?

PFF ranked him third on their FA CB list, right above Verner and Davis.  He graded out +4 above Verner, so no, he's not a scrub.

my eyes tell me a totally different story. there is a reason Denver went after a pricey corner and will let this bum walk

@fbgchase: The Jets reportedly offered Austin Howard a 5-year, 30M deal. Don't know what the guaranteed $ was from Jets but that's what he got from OAK

He left the Jets because their organization is a joke, right? Makes sense he would end up with the Raiders, an organization that everyone totally respects and one that everyone takes seriously.

Archived