Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sproles requires good spacing to operate.  And last year proved that just about anyone can do what he does in New Orleans' system.  Even though MJD is old he can still probably do a better job of creating on his own than Sproles can.  I imagine he'll be a pleasant surprise like LT was in his old age.

MJD is New York City is a disaster.  Guy parties way too hard.

MJD is New York City is a disaster.  Guy parties way too hard.

Braylon Edwards did just fine here.  We're only talking a 1-year rental (or less, if Goodson's legal troubles sort themselves out during the season).  Sign him to a 2-year deal then cut him after the '14 season if he doesn't work out.

From the Rotoworld blurb:

I would guess (but who knows) that the lack of interest might be due to teams expecting him to be released.  If that's really the case though, I would definitely be in support of the Jets throwing a low pick offer their way.  I think MJD is a suitable backup option, but if the price isn't too steep I'd definitely prefer Sproles.

Braylon Edwards did just fine here.  We're only talking a 1-year rental (or less, if Goodson's legal troubles sort themselves out during the season).  Sign him to a 2-year deal then cut him after the '14 season if he doesn't work out.

Situation are a bit different if you ask me.

Braylon was a young buck we traded for...who eventually got a DUI, btw.  We're now talking about a worn down RB on his last leg, last contract, who was huge reason why Justin Blackmon is arrested every other week.  Dude is a very bad influence.

I don't think the TJ Ward, Verner, Byrd signings were dumb or "break the bank" moves.

Agreed, but there are still some solid CB's left, and Rex's defense once finished # 1 with Eric Smith at safety.  Overpaying at a luxury position like that is not smart.  This draft is pretty rich in safeties too.

Only guy I'm mad about missing out on is Asamoah.  He'd have solidified the right side of the line nicely.  Overpaying on the offensive line is rarely a bad move if the guy you're getting is solid.  Falcons got him for just $4.5M per.

I would guess (but who knows) that the lack of interest might be due to teams expecting him to be released.  If that's really the case though, I would definitely be in support of the Jets throwing a low pick offer their way.  I think MJD is a suitable backup option, but if the price isn't too steep I'd definitely prefer Sproles.

Lack of interest?  I have heard just the opposite.  The Saints were planning to cut him, but people came calling.  They are probably sorting through the deals and won't be in any hurry until they actually need the $4M.

Sproles requires good spacing to operate.  And last year proved that just about anyone can do what he does in New Orleans' system.  Even though MJD is old he can still probably do a better job of creating on his own than Sproles can.  I imagine he'll be a pleasant surprise like LT was in his old age.

Fair point and I agree completely with the LT comparison, as that's what I was thinking myself.  LT was no doubt a shell of his formerly dominant self by the time he got to NY, but I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for the contributions he made, especially given his price.  He was a very solid runner for the Jets but the receiving dynamic he brought to the backfield was the real difference-maker.  That said, I just happen to think that Sproles still has more of that big play potential in him that MJD.

I have a question for the cap experts. I know we have plenty of space now, but does it all transfer over to next year?

looks like there is a carry-over system in place, yes. 

New CBA gives teams the right to carry over cap space automatically

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT

As the NFL readjusts to the problems that arise from spending that once again will be approaching the annual salary cap, there’s an important provision of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that needs to be highlighted.

Under Article 13, Section 6(v) of the CBA, each team may carry over any remaining cap room from one year to the next by submitting written notice, signed by the owner of the team, to the league office no later than 14 days before the start of the next league year.  The written notice must indicate the maximum amount of cap room that the team wishes to shift from one cap year to the next.

This relatively simple device replaces past tools for carrying over cap space, which included (for example) loading up a renegotiated player contract with a phony “likely to be earned” incentive that would chew up space in one year and then trigger a refund to the cap in the next year.

What’s odd about the new procedure is that teams must affirmatively choose to carry over the cap space. 

Fair point and I agree completely with the LT comparison, as that's what I was thinking myself.  LT was no doubt a shell of his formerly dominant self by the time he got to NY, but I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for the contributions he made, especially given his price.  He was a very solid runner for the Jets but the receiving dynamic he brought to the backfield was the real difference-maker.  That said, I just happen to think that Sproles still has more of that big play potential in him that MJD.

For me Sproles is the perfect fit for us - pass catching out of the backfield that causes havoc for opposing defenses to defend. Saints looking to get something for him.- how much you willing to give to get him?

Lack of interest?  I have heard just the opposite.  The Saints were planning to cut him, but people came calling.  They are probably sorting through the deals and won't be in any hurry until they actually need the $4M.

Ah, don't mind me, I was skimming a bit too quickly and misread the quote you posted.  So yeah, never mind.

5th rounder at most. 

I would jump at a 4th for him. Essentially the Revis trade would then have netted us Sheldon and Sproles.  Not a bad haul quite frankly.

And to think we may get him back on top of it all. Now that would just be ridiculous now would't it? 

I would jump at a 4th for him. Essentially the Revis trade would then have netted us Sheldon and Sproles.  Not a bad haul quite frankly.

And to think we may get him back on top of it all. Now that would just be ridiculous now would't it? 

That would be perfection.  Just let Vick get signed by Buffalo and I sign off on this offseason regardless of who we draft.

Archived