• Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe ID thinks he can trade Sanchez after paying the bonus, therefore

getting a draft pick for 2 million, and losing a portion of sanchex's

cap hit, anything could happen as Sanchez has some value compared to

many of the guys in the draft, teams may see him as a short term solution,

with an upside. Browns are a possibility, Radiers, Texans, Minn, even

Jax and Tenn.

I haven't thought about that but it definitely makes sense.  It would be pretty impressive if this actually happens.

After the draft is different than the day before the season starts.  Idzik will force Mark to re-negotiate.   He will explain this to Mark's camp before the draft, in hopes of trading him for a pick. Either that or he will keep him at a reduced salary as a backup (unlikely).  

He did the same thing with Revis.  Paid a 1M bonus to keep leverage.

Revis had an actual market though. Sure, it's a possible scenario, it's just not one that I see happening. I don't think Idzik is going to risk punting $2 million on the off-chance he's able to find a trade partner. It's not a fiscally responsible move.

Me too.

I just don't support the thinking "Favre helped us end the Pennington era, so Vick can help us end the Sanchez era". 

I don't want to have to spend a whole football season talking about Vick. I'd rather just hate Sanchez for another year.

If you held a gun to my head, I suppose I'd rather have Sanchez around than Vick.  Both are the wrong choice because they aren't willing to be backups.  At least a guy like Shaun Hill would know his role.  There are worse things than being an NFL backup, and Hill has recognized this for a long, long time.

Revis had an actual market though. Sure, it's a possible scenario, it's just not one that I see happening. I don't think Idzik is going to risk punting $2 million on the off-chance he's able to find a trade partner. It's not a fiscally responsible move.

Revis had a market at 16M per year?  He had one stupid GM on one team, who lost his job over it. The fact that Idzik got a first and a fourth round pick from TB is nothing short of a miracle.

We will see soon enough.

Vick creates no less of a split locker room than does Sanchez. He (allegedly) already turned down our initial offer because we wouldn't guarantee him the starting job.  Say Smith starts the season. While I expect Smith would be far better in September '14 than he was in September '13, I also expect he will be far worse than perfect.  I don't trust Vick to not spread around an "It should be me" sentiment to several individuals at a minimum, every time there is a QB mistake made.

Sanchez sucks.  He will always suck.  He is no more talented than Joey Harrington; he was just in a better situation for a while is all.  But Sanchez isn't nearly the lowlife that Vick is.  I despise Vick; I merely dislike Sanchez (and even that's only because I dislike him as the Jets' QB because he sucks).

Truthfully I'd rather the team not look to either of these two.  Yesterday I had started a writeup wish list leading up to the draft, and the same QB desires #1 and #2 were expressed on page 1 of this thread today: Fitzpatrick and Hill, in that order.

How quickly you guys forget Rex would have had two super boles if he had just an average QB like Jason Campbell OMG we should sign him and have two super boles haha what do u think I'll hang up and listen #revisionary

Norv Turner wasted the Chargers, Rex could have won a couple there

IMO the Jets are bringing Vick in this weekend to convince him he has a good chance to replace Smith, and sign him. If they fail all hell is going to break lose on Tuesday.

Can't wait

What would all Hell breaking loose look like? I think the devils gate busted open a week ago

IMO the Jets are bringing Vick in this weekend to convince him he has a good chance to replace Smith, and sign him. If they fail all hell is going to break lose on Tuesday.

Can't wait

It's such a bad idea, all around. I'm having a hard time believing that this is Idzik's idea.

I think the Idzik-Woody overlap is still a problem, however.

What gives you such a high level of confidence in Idzik? I am asking because I don't really see a reason for either a high level of confidence, or a low level of confidence in him.

I lean towards less just because Woody hired him under the pre-tense that he keeps the HC which generally is not the best way to get the best candidate, but I am willing to give him time before making a decision. 

Just curious.

I think the Idzik-Woody overlap is still a problem, however.

I think Woody had a major hand in the Revis thing, but for the most part I think Woody has left football things to the football people.  Like him or hate him, He's not Jerry Jones

What gives you such a high level of confidence in Idzik? I am asking because I don't really see a reason for either a high level of confidence, or a low level of confidence in him.

I lean towards less just because Woody hired him under the pre-tense that he keeps the HC which generally is not the best way to get the best candidate, but I am willing to give him time before making a decision.

Just curious.

Two things that Idzik has shown, which I see as positive:

1. He's not influenced by the fans or the media

2. He's not going to get pushed around by the market.

Tannenbaum was the opposite. This alone gives me confidence.

Vick creates no less of a split locker room than does Sanchez. He (allegedly) already turned down our initial offer because we wouldn't guarantee him the starting job.  Say Smith starts the season. While I expect Smith would be far better in September '14 than he was in September '13, I also expect he will be far worse than perfect.  I don't trust Vick to not spread around an "It should be me" sentiment to several individuals at a minimum, every time there is a QB mistake made.

Sanchez sucks.  He will always suck.  He is no more talented than Joey Harrington; he was just in a better situation for a while is all.  But Sanchez isn't nearly the lowlife that Vick is.  I despise Vick; I merely dislike Sanchez (and even that's only because I dislike him as the Jets' QB because he sucks).

Truthfully I'd rather the team not look to either of these two.  Yesterday I had started a writeup wish list leading up to the draft, and the same QB desires #1 and #2 were expressed on page 1 of this thread today: Fitzpatrick and Hill, in that order.

I agree 100% with this. Fitzpatrick can step in and play for sure, and has already swallowed that back up role. ideal situation for the jets at this point

If the Jets sign Vick,  a lot of that is out the window.  Vick will be PR. He'll be a circus whether people like it or not.    And he doesn't fit in with build through the draft and go with youth.  And he's not a backup QB and doesn't want to be.   So if they sign Vick it's either a Woody PR move or Idzik really doesn't have a legit plan.    You don't spend most of free agency avoiding the big name free agents due to cost, age, fit, etc but then go and sign Vick.     

However if the Jets think Geno sucks,  they sign Vick because you plan on drafting a QB and groom him for a year or two.

This is the scenario:

Idzik pays Sanchez 2 million of Woody Johnson's money.

We get somebody to give us a 6th round draft pick for Sanchez

6th round draft pick stays on roster forever lest Woody think Idzik wasted his money

or

6th round draft pick gets cut and Woody wonders where his money went

or

we don't get somebody to bite and Woody wonders where his money went

sounds like all of these would be good for the relationship

If you held a gun to my head, I suppose I'd rather have Sanchez around than Vick.  Both are the wrong choice because they aren't willing to be backups.  At least a guy like Shaun Hill would know his role.  There are worse things than being an NFL backup, and Hill has recognized this for a long, long time.

Don Strock made being a backup an art form.  He backed up Dan Marino for years, making a decent salary, never taking a hit and yet still banging babes like there was no tomorrow.  I think he developed a mild case of carpal tunnel from carrying the clipboard for so many years, but his quality of life is still pretty good to this day.  

This is the scenario:

Idzik pays Sanchez 2 million of Woody Johnson's money.

We get somebody to give us a 6th round draft pick for Sanchez

6th round draft pick stays on roster forever lest Woody think Idzik wasted his money

or

6th round draft pick gets cut and Woody wonders where his money went

or

we don't get somebody to bite and Woody wonders where his money went

sounds like all of these would be good for the relationship

These are great points. Along these lines, its hard to imagine the Jets give him that bonus unless they don't think they can re-negotiate and want to keep him (very unlikely), or they already have a deal worked out contingent upon the Jets giving him that money, also unlikely, or they are going to cut him, or they are going to try to re-negotiate

Those are positives, unless they're taken to the extreme. I'm getting a little concerned that he may be too hard-headed for the good of the team. I like to drive a hard bargain when negotiating for a car, too, but if I'm too rigid with my numbers, I'm taking the bus to work.

I'm holding out hope that he's going to sign a number of players in the coming weeks at bargain prices. I'm hoping that's the plan.

These are great points. Along these lines, its hard to imagine the Jets give him that bonus unless they don't think they can re-negotiate and want to keep him (very unlikely), or they already have a deal worked out contingent upon the Jets giving him that money, also unlikely, or they are going to cut him, or they are going to try to re-negotiate

Yeah, the Revis parallel doesn't hold up. The Jets paid Revis $1M and got back a first rounder plus. They're going to pay Sanchez twice that in hopes of getting a late round pick? I don't think so. I don't think Sanchez gets that bonus without accepting a minimum of a $6M pay cut for this year.

If the Jets sign Vick,  a lot of that is out the window.  Vick will be PR. He'll be a circus whether people like it or not.    And he doesn't fit in with build through the draft and go with youth.  And he's not a backup QB and doesn't want to be.   So if they sign Vick it's either a Woody PR move or Idzik really doesn't have a legit plan.    You don't spend most of free agency avoiding the big name free agents due to cost, age, fit, etc but then go and sign Vick.     

However if the Jets think Geno sucks,  they sign Vick because you plan on drafting a QB and groom him for a year or two.

Vick backed up Foles last year after he was injured and was a good soldier and very supportive of Foles.  I have heard that Foles credits Vick with a lot of help during the year.  Add in that Vick has a career QB rating over 80 and you have that veteran guy who can play in a pinch.  I think if his name was not Michael Vick, you would have less of a problem with the move.

I think these are good points, and I agree.

That said, I still think it will come down to whether or not he can put a player personal dept in place that can be successful. He is not a scout, so he is going to have to get better scouts in here than we have had in like, forever. Last year was really leftover scouts, so I think it will take us a few drafts and FA periods to be able to evaluate this side of things.

To me, without getting in good scouts, not much else matters, which is why I just cannot grade him one way or another right now.

Vick backed up Foles last year after he was injured and was a good soldier and very supportive of Foles.  I have heard that Foles credits Vick with a lot of help during the year.  Add in that Vick has a career QB rating over 80 and you have that veteran guy who can play in a pinch.  I think if his name was not Michael Vick, you would have less of a problem with the move.

Unless you expect Smith to post a 27:2 TD:INT ratio like Foles did, I don't think the situation will be the same.  What was Vick going to do (while injured, no less)? And injury or not, the team was basically 1-4 behind Vick and 9-2 behind Foles.  The first Giants game, which he left early after going 6-14 with no TDs and Foles went 16/25 with 2 TDs and no picks, was as likely as not to be another loss if Foles didn't come in and throw a pair of 4th quarter TDs.  Then he gets the next Giants start with Foles injured and gets shut out with a pick, a fumble, and an intentional grounding call that forced an Eagles punt.  

Vick started the season, lost a bunch of games, and then went to the bench due to injury.  Then Foles gave the team life on the field, while on paper he individually had one of the best seasons of any QB in NFL history.

I don't think one can draw the same parallel to Foles and his 120 passer rating to Geno Smith, as thought the situations were the same.  I fully expect Vick to be a locker room distraction.  He hasn't posted a good season in years and was still insisting he should be an unquestioned starter on a team who ideally wants its own youngster to be its QB of the future and the now.

Unless you expect Smith to post a 27:2 TD:INT ratio like Foles did, I don't think the situation will be the same.  What was Vick going to do (while injured, no less)? And injury or not, the team was basically 1-4 behind Vick and 9-2 behind Foles.  The first Giants game, which he left early after going 6-14 with no TDs and Foles went 16/25 with 2 TDs and no picks, was as likely as not to be another loss if Foles didn't come in and throw a pair of 4th quarter TDs.  Then he gets the next Giants start with Foles injured and gets shut out with a pick, a fumble, and an intentional grounding call that forced an Eagles punt.  

Vick started the season, lost a bunch of games, and then went to the bench due to injury.  Then Foles gave the team life on the field, while on paper he individually had one of the best seasons of any QB in NFL history.

I don't think one can draw the same parallel to Foles and his 120 passer rating to Geno Smith, as thought the situations were the same.  I fully expect Vick to be a locker room distraction.  He hasn't posted a good season in years and was still insisting he should be an unquestioned starter on a team who ideally wants its own youngster to be its QB of the future and the now.

I respect your opinion, but there is a lot of conjecture here.  If you bring the guy for a meeting and lay out how things will be run and what his role will be and he is accepting of those terms, I think it is a good gamble.

Archived