Goodell on the future of the NFL draft- maybe even 4 days!

faba

Goodell says future timing of draft hasn’t been decided

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Getty Images

Good news, football fans.  The incursion of the draft into May may be only a one-year experiment.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell tells Jeff Darlington of NFL Media that the timing of future drafts has not been determined.  Which means that it could stay in May, and that it could go back to April.

This year’s delay ostensibly arose from a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall, where an Easter-related event was planned for what would have been yesterday, today, and/or tomorrow.  That event eventually was canceled due to lack of interest.

Bad news, football fans.  There’s still a chance that the NFL has become completely tone deaf regarding the potential for suffering the same fate as the Easter-related event that was canceled due to lack of interest.

Goodelll also tells Darlington that the seven-round draft could become a four-day affair.  Four days.  Four.  Freaking.  Days.

Already, three days are one too many.  Sure, there’s now something special about having round one on a Thursday night.  And rounds two and three have some extra relevance by standing alone on Friday.

But only a small fraction of the fan base cares zealously about the final four rounds.  As currently constructed, the third day of the draft feels like it never will end.

Stretching it out to four days makes sense only if the NFL is considering moving the final two days of the draft to another city, rotating it from towns like Pittsburgh to Cleveland to Philly to Dallas and creating intense local interest for a large chunk of the process in which national (and New York City) interest is much, much lower.

I’ve been at Radio City Music Hall for every day of the draft since it was expanded to a three-day affair.  The energy (and crowd) of the first night fades noticeably by the second night.  By the third day, the crowd thins and the buzz evaporates and it feels like everyone is just trying to get through to the last pick so they can pack up and go home.

Meanwhile, the league also seems to be pushing back against the notion that it was a mistake to move the draft to May.  New Bucs coach Lovie Smith tells Darlington that Lovie likes having extra time, especially as a new coach in a new city.  While he may feel that way this year, after a full season out of the sport, how many Mother’s Day weekends will he spend working before he’s sleeping at the office not for work-related reasons?

That’s the other issue that’s currently driving a wedge, we’re told, between football operations employees and the league’s business people.  The latter will make it to Mother’s Day church services and/or brunch and/or dinner this year.  The former will instead be chasing undrafted free agents, placing further strain on family relationships already tested by a profession that creates plenty of stress without devoting two more weeks to jobs that already overwhelm the lives of coaches, General Managers, and scouts.

So even if the draft stays in May for future years, here’s hoping that a league that allows the widespread uniform infiltration of the color pink in October for breast cancer awareness will show equal respect to wives and mothers by steering clear of the one weekend of the year in which they receive the credit, praise, and attention they deserve for the sacrifices they make on the other 364.

Make it two days...

Day 1 Rounds 1-3

Day 2 Rounds 4-7

No need for 4 days....Who is going to go to Day 4 when its rounds 6 and 7?

LL

P.S. Bring the Draft back to APRIL....May seems like the NFL year drags on before hitting the Draft.

Oversaturation- it is a word that is not in NFL language

Not a word 'Merica knows either.

I'm wondering if this sport is a plague or a symptom. OK not really, I'm actually watching ALL THE Honest Trailers on Youtube because one made me laugh a month ago (the GoT one).

hey roger

I stop watching after the jets first pick, then I just check in from time to time to see who they picked

you think I'm watching the 7th round on TV ?

GFY

ESPN coverage drew a 1.1 rating.  In 2012, MLB averaged a 1.7. 

People watch.

3 days is already ridiculous. The draft should go back to the month of April and should be only 2 days, Saturday night (rds 1-2) and Sunday afternoon (rds 3-7).

I already don't like that the first night is only the 1st round. It seriously makes the draft feel incomplete.  

Word

Saturday draft parties were the bomb. This axxhole has effed everything up.

Make it two days...

Day 1 Rounds 1-3

Day 2 Rounds 4-7

No need for 4 days....Who is going to go to Day 4 when its rounds 6 and 7?

LL

P.S. Bring the Draft back to APRIL....May seems like the NFL year drags on before hitting the Draft.

I agree. Four days, I would lose interest. Who cares about rounds six and seven anyway. You don't even know the players being taken. This is just another money grab by our money grabbing commissioner. I can't stand Roger Goodell as commish.

Or... people, rightly, don't watch baseball, either.

True.  And that is why I laugh when people say the NFL is going down. 

No other sport captivates us as a sport.  I barely watch the Sox when on.  I watch other teams even less.  Yet, every Sunday we as a nation plop our ass on the couch to watch games.  Any games.

Participation numbers may decline, but it is still sport we play and watch.

1st day, sure

an entire day devoted to rds 6 & 7 ?

not so much

That was last year's Day Three rounds 4-7.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/29/espns-three-day-nfl-draft-coverage-up-in-ratings-and-viewership/180108/

True.  And that is why I laugh when people say the NFL is going down. 

No other sport captivates us as a sport.  I barely watch the Sox when on.  I watch other teams even less.  Yet, every Sunday we as a nation plop our ass on the couch to watch games.  Any games.

Participation numbers may decline, but it is still sport we play and watch.

That was last year's Day Three rounds 4-7.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/29/espns-three-day-nfl-draft-coverage-up-in-ratings-and-viewership/180108/

I can watch baseball if I'm in a bar and a game is on, off in the corner somewhere.  Also going to the stadium is fun now & then.  But I can't sit on a couch for 3 hours watching a baseball game, let alone well over 100x every year.

It would cause a sharp decrease in revenue, so it would never happen, but they need to cut the schedule by at least half, and clip 2-3 innings off the games.  Part of the problem, for me anyway, is that no one game means much of anything until you're into September.  And by that time, so many teams are eliminated that they still don't matter.  

I don't know what else it is.  Someone once told me that when the minutes are all added up that there's more downtime in a football game than in a baseball game, but I don't seem to notice it as much.  I think it's that the "action" in between that downtime is usually still a lot of nothing happening in baseball. Most of the game you're essentially watching 2 people playing catch. What percentage of pitches neither end up in the catcher's mitt nor are fouled off? Very low, whatever it is. It would be like watching a football game where 90% of the plays on offense never reach past the line of scrimmage, and the game is still 3 hours long.  And there are 10x the number of games as today, rendering most outcomes meaningless.

I can watch baseball if I'm in a bar and a game is on, off in the corner somewhere.  Also going to the stadium is fun now & then.  But I can't sit on a couch for 3 hours watching a baseball game, let alone well over 100x every year.

It would cause a sharp decrease in revenue, so it would never happen, but they need to cut the schedule by at least half, and clip 2-3 innings off the games.  Part of the problem, for me anyway, is that no one game means much of anything until you're into September.  And by that time, so many teams are eliminated that they still don't matter.  

I don't know what else it is.  Someone once told me that when the minutes are all added up that there's more downtime in a football game than in a baseball game, but I don't seem to notice it as much.  I think it's that the "action" in between that downtime is usually still a lot of nothing happening in baseball. Most of the game you're essentially watching 2 people playing catch. What percentage of pitches neither end up in the catcher's mitt nor are fouled off? Very low, whatever it is. It would be like watching a football game where 90% of the plays on offense never reach past the line of scrimmage, and the game is still 3 hours long.  And there are 10x the number of games as today, rendering most outcomes meaningless.

I think read/heard that average game is about 30 minutes of actual playing.  Makes sense if you think of it.  Say 60 plays per team.  Give it a generous 10 seconds of actual execution and you have 20 minutes.  

I agree 100%.  I enjoy going to a baseball game, more so, than an NFL game, but the NFL wins hands down in the TV game.

Archived