How long before Clyde Gates is gone?

pointman

Gates actually showed signs of coming around his last game.  He caught at least a couple of first downs.  Then he got injured for the rest of the season.

Who knows, everyone talks about Hill, but maybe it will be Gates who finally has a breakout year.

Gates actually showed signs of coming around his last game.  He caught at least a couple of first downs.  Then he got injured for the rest of the season.

Who knows, everyone talks about Hill, but maybe it will be Gates who finally has a breakout year.

He is going to be 28, and has never shown signs of anything. He is suppose to be a burner, and all he has ever done is catch and fall. He is taking a roster spot from someone who might be able to at least be worth something in practice.

Yeah I see more of Gates grasping Martys offense that I see Hill actually doing. Hill is unfortunately a bad waste of a pick. I understand that he was put into our system when things just wasnt good for the Jets and now theres stabilization but if he doesnt get it by this season I can promise you all that Idzik will show him the door respectfully.  

Yeah I see more of Gates grasping Martys offense that I see Hill actually doing. Hill is unfortunately a bad waste of a pick. I understand that he was put into our system when things just wasnt good for the Jets and now theres stabilization but if he doesnt get it by this season I can promise you all that Idzik will show him the door respectfully.  

Hill and Gates have been terrible. At least Hill (who I have zero faith in) put up some numbers early on last season before getting hurt like Mr. Glass. 

I thought Gates was useless too, but his last game he actually showed some signs.  My guess is the Jets figured it wouldn't hurt to invite him back to camp and give him a chance to impress.  He's not taking a roster spot until at least the first cutdown. 

With three picks at WR, it's hard to imagine Gates making the team. Saunders will probably get a long look at KOR, unless they decide they have a role for him on the offense. If that's the case, then Evans, Dixon, and Enunwa would all welcome a path to make the team via returning kicks, and the team will give their draft picks every chance to make the final cut.

IMO Gates will be cut in the last round of cuts. He is better than most of what they have, but they will understandably prefer the draft picks.  He is the kind of guy that they will want on the street, so that if there are a rash of injuries like 2013, they can scoop him up and roll along.  Gates will seem much better as a rotational #3 WR than he did as a starter.    

Gates is a guy that was a basketball player, switched to football late and went to Abilene Christian, not exactly a top tier WR factory.  He was a reach in the 3rd where the Dolphins took him, but it is no surprise that he hasn't been tearing things up early in his career.  I find him  preferable to guys like Greg Salas and Saalim Hakim.  I think the team and Mornhinweg do also.

IMO Gates will be cut in the last round of cuts. He is better than most of what they have, but they will understandably prefer the draft picks.  He is the kind of guy that they will want on the street, so that if there are a rash of injuries like 2013, they can scoop him up and roll along.  Gates will seem much better as a rotational #3 WR than he did as a starter.    

Gates is a guy that was a basketball player, switched to football late and went to Abilene Christian, not exactly a top tier WR factory.  He was a reach in the 3rd where the Dolphins took him, but it is no surprise that he hasn't been tearing things up early in his career.  I find him  preferable to guys like Greg Salas and Saalim Hakim.  I think the team and Mornhinweg do also.

You totally want to bone Clyde Gates. 

Our talent level at wide receiver has gone up a lot with the addition of Decker, Ford and the three draft picks.  I think anyone who was struggling to contribute last year or working harde to make the squad (Dwight Jones), is a goner this year.

The more I think about it the more I feel that Clyde Gates will be the odd man out before Hill. He may be gone with the first cut down. There seems to be no place for him. Jacoby Ford or Jalen Saunders will be doing the returns. We'll need the room for the rookies. Maybe one rookie is cut but at least 2 rookies will be part of the 6 WR's on the roster. Its evident that Decker and Kerley will make the squad and I think we can say the same for Nelson. That leaves one spot open for either Hill, Ford, Gates to make. Ford has a chance to make this team, but if he doesn't then between Hill and Gates I think Hill will make it in. I think Gates is the odd man out. Hopefully the Jets hold 7 WR's on the roster just to keep all 3 rookies and let the vets fight for that last 4 spots. 

The more I think about it the more I feel that Clyde Gates will be the odd man out before Hill. He may be gone with the first cut down. There seems to be no place for him. Jacoby Ford or Jalen Saunders will be doing the returns. We'll need the room for the rookies. Maybe one rookie is cut but at least 2 rookies will be part of the 6 WR's on the roster. Its evident that Decker and Kerley will make the squad and I think we can say the same for Nelson. That leaves one spot open for either Hill, Ford, Gates to make. Ford has a chance to make this team, but if he doesn't then between Hill and Gates I think Hill will make it in. I think Gates is the odd man out. Hopefully the Jets hold 7 WR's on the roster just to keep all 3 rookies and let the vets fight for that last 4 spots. 

Good analysis, but I don't see them keeping 7 on the active roster.

Good analysis, but I don't see them keeping 7 on the active roster.

Me either. I guess that we'll just send one of the rookies to the practice squad. There's some talk brewing that Shaq Evans seems to have flash some ability to be a #1 type WR, Jalen Saunders provides an answer to special teams as well as a slot guy behind Kerley and Quincey Enunwa has impressed Nolan Nowrocki of NFL.com...

“Looks the part with terrific size, long arms and an NFL musculature. Can elevate and snatch throws above his head. Strong after the catch. Sheer size and brawn to block out corners outside. Has hustle traits. Knows where the sticks are and is very football smart. Excellent intangibles — team captain with a professional approach and leadership traits. Was a 21-year-old senior.” – Enunwa’s strengths according to Nawrocki

Could all three rookies really make the squad? Did Idzik pull a fast one on the draft and get 3 solid and productive rookies WR's in the later rounds? Time will tell, but the more I read up on these rookie WR's the more I want them all to make the team. At the same time, I think Jacoby Ford could be a force if he can stay healthy for all 16 games and Hill is going on his 3rd year. It would be very Jet-like to let this guy go and watch the light turn on for him at another team. 

I think Gates is a goner. What you have to hope is that the battle for the final WR spot is between Hill and Ford. Hill has a glass jaw...Ford has not been able to stay on the field as well. Personally, I would prefer Ford as I think Hill's knee is shot but again, I think the best case scenario is that Hill and Ford are battling for the last WR position. Why? Because that means that the rookies have shined and pushed Hill and Ford all the way down the depth chart.    

Me either. I guess that we'll just send one of the rookies to the practice squad. There's some talk brewing that Shaq Evans seems to have flash some ability to be a #1 type WR, Jalen Saunders provides an answer to special teams as well as a slot guy behind Kerley and Quincey Enunwa has impressed Nolan Nowrocki of NFL.com...

“Looks the part with terrific size, long arms and an NFL musculature. Can elevate and snatch throws above his head. Strong after the catch. Sheer size and brawn to block out corners outside. Has hustle traits. Knows where the sticks are and is very football smart. Excellent intangibles — team captain with a professional approach and leadership traits. Was a 21-year-old senior.” – Enunwa’s strengths according to Nawrocki

Could all three rookies really make the squad? Did Idzik pull a fast one on the draft and get 3 solid and productive rookies WR's in the later rounds? Time will tell, but the more I read up on these rookie WR's the more I want them all to make the team. At the same time, I think Jacoby Ford could be a force if he can stay healthy for all 16 games and Hill is going on his 3rd year. It would be very Jet-like to let this guy go and watch the light turn on for him at another team. 

I think all three will make the team, but I don't think that they will be 3 solid and productive rookies.  Evans and Enunwa look like they just run seams and go routes and Saunders is a fidget.  I think the two bigger ones have decent upside, but will take some development.  IMO they will really have to suck in camp to end up on the practice squad, but that is certainly a possibility.  

I don't think that your listing is unrealistic, but these guys will be getting hurt.  When they do, that will determine how quickly the others get the boot. 

Chris Johnson alone makes us significantly better IMO.

If Gates makes the team it'll mean the depth isn't there yet. But you have to give him a chance. Plus, he returns kicks and does ST's. Hill on the other hand is on very thin ice.

Signing Decker, Johnson, and Cumberland, and drafting Amaro made the situation less critical. Kerley's underrated too.

Right now I don't see the Jets carrying 7 wide outs. The 6 I would roll with are Decker,Hill,Kerley,Nelson,Evans,Saunders. Of course we have to see how this pans out during the summer. Wouldn't be surprised if Jacoby Ford makes the team over one of the rooks and they get sent to the PS. Clyde Gates should not make this team.

Right now I don't see the Jets carrying 7 wide outs. The 6 I would roll with are Decker,Hill,Kerley,Nelson,Evans,Saunders. Of course we have to see how this pans out during the summer. Wouldn't be surprised if Jacoby Ford makes the team over one of the rooks and they get sent to the PS. Clyde Gates should not make this team.

You are forgetting that some of these guys WILL get hurt.  Last year the Jets started the season with 5: Gates, Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Spadola.  At some point during the season, the following players were on the active roster: Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Nelson, Gates, Cribbs, Obamanu, Salas, Hakim, Campbell and Spadola.

I think the Jets will be keeping this in mind when they make the cuts and will keep some of these guys around until the end so that if an injury pops up they will still be available.  Decker takes Holmes place and Kerley is a lock.  IMO Saunders and Evans will make the squad.  They probably need extra WRs a bit less with Amaro added.  That leaves Nelson, HIll, Gates, Enunwa and Salas to fight it out for the last spot or two.  Enunwa is practice squad eligible, and Salas *might* have some left. I think they may carry an extra WR or two and taxi them - active roster, not active game day.

Chris Johnson alone makes us significantly better IMO.

As long as he's healthy, i agree...but Gates beating out anyone of the rookies, hill, ford...we're in bad shape.

Archived