Dion Jordan

SenorGato

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why you and slats think it's a worthwhile exercise to compare Rex to Parcells, especially given how quick you guys are to exonerate Rex from responsibility for any and all personnel decisions while simultaneously acknowledging that Parcells had to rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up. Rex "got as far" as Parcells in the same way that Barry Switzer "got as far" as Jimmy Johnson. It's ludicrous. You're far better off arguing Rex's alleged merits without trying to go full revisionist on the Parcells Era.

Switzer had all the same key players from JJ. Rex did not.

• In 2008 the key player on Mangini's offense was Brett Favre. Gone in 2009.
  • The key player on Mangini's defense was Kris Jenkins. Out for the season in week 6 or something in '09, and like 5 minutes into the season in '10.

The analogy is laughable.

1997 Parcells had inherited his:

• QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1, TE2, LT, C, RG, RT
  • NT, pass rushing DE, OLB1, OLB2, ILB1, CB1, SS

And keep in mind we had the #1 pick, which he passed up on (Orlando Pace. Then traded down to #6 for very little in return. Then passed up on that pick (Walter Jones) so he could pick up a 6th round pick or something, and took James Farrior who he played as a rookie and then benched.

The list of starters brought in so he could quickly rebuild:

Paleili (sucked), Lyle (solid but certainly unspectacular), Dwayne Gordon (sucked), Otis my man (hit or miss; picked off passes but gave up tons of TDs & key 1sts); Jerome Henderson (meh/sucked). Oh yeah, and John Hall who blew the season like he blew anything other than burying kickoffs (and for only that 1 year).

I consider this to be decidedly ordinary turnover from a prior year's starters. The only TRULY solid player brought in was Lyle and he was merely fine. There was far more significant turnover from the 2008 Jets' starters to the 2009 Jets' starters.

I am forced to believe you know less than nothing about this franchise.

Switzer had all the same key players from JJ. Rex did not.

• In 2008 the key player on Mangini's offense was Brett Favre. Gone in 2009.
  • The key player on Mangini's defense was Kris Jenkins. Out for the season in week 6 or something in '09, and like 5 minutes into the season in '10.
The analogy is laughable.

1997 Parcells had inherited his:

• QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1, TE2, LT, C, RG, RT
  • NT, pass rushing DE, OLB1, OLB2, ILB1, CB1, SS
And keep in mind we had the #1 pick, which he passed up on (Orlando Pace. Then traded down to #6 for very little in return. Then passed up on that pick (Walter Jones) so he could pick up a 6th round pick or something, and took James Farrior who he played as a rookie and then benched.

The list of starters brought in so he could quickly rebuild:

Paleili (sucked), Lyle (solid but certainly unspectacular), Dwayne Gordon (sucked), Otis my man (hit or miss; picked off passes but gave up tons of TDs & key 1sts); Jerome Henderson (meh/sucked). Oh yeah, and John Hall who blew the season like he blew anything other than burying kickoffs (and for only that 1 year).

I consider this to be decidedly ordinary turnover from a prior year's starters. The only TRULY solid player brought in was Lyle and he was merely fine. There was far more significant turnover from the 2008 Jets' starters to the 2009 Jets' starters.

I am forced to believe you know less than nothing about this franchise.

The Switzer-Johnson comparison is beautiful and you know it. Johnson built the franchise up from the dirt, as did Parcells. Switzer was a hillbilly buffoon from Oklahoma, as is Rex. I know this is your fave, but Rex took over a 9-7 squad that was in the playoffs two years earlier. Suck it.

Also, this is the start of my birthday weekend and I'm not going to let YOU or your GAY, OBFUSCATORY BULLET POINTS antagonize me. Good day, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.

<3

The Switzer-Johnson comparison is beautiful and you know it. Johnson built the franchise up from the dirt, as did Parcells. Switzer was a hillbilly buffoon from Oklahoma, as is Rex. I know this is your fave, but Rex took over a 9-7 squad that was in the playoffs two years earlier. Suck it.

Also, this is the start of my birthday weekend and I'm not going to let YOU or your GAY, OBFUSCATORY BULLET POINTS antagonize me. Good day, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.

<3

Birthday weekend? What are you? 11? 

<3

Happy birthday, miss.

Enjoy your day while lamenting on how putting Hugh Douglas at 3-4 end was a round peg / round hole coaching job.

Vincent Testaverde.

Yes?

Pro bowler in 1996. Career year in 1998 (though his gross stat totals were better in '96 than '98).

Oh yeah, and he was Tuna's SECOND choice for the QB job in 1998. Who was his first choice again? The guy who Parcells handed the job to so everyone could see what a genius he was. What was his name again?

Again, I believe you never actually followed the Jets during the Parcells years. He was a very good coach with a great staff under him, whose arrogance and message-sending cost his teams plenty.

Yes?

Pro bowler in 1996. Career year in 1998 (though his gross stat totals were better in '96 than '98).

Oh yeah, and he was Tuna's SECOND choice for the QB job in 1998. Who was his first choice again? The guy who Parcells handed the job to so everyone could see what a genius he was. What was his name again?

Again, I believe you never actually followed the Jets during the Parcells years. He was a very good coach with a great staff under him, whose arrogance and message-sending cost his teams plenty.

The same way Jimmy Johnson's arrogance cost him in Dallas and Miami, Belichick's arrogance has cost him this last decade in New England, Holmgren's arrogance cost him in Seattle, and Gruden's arrogance cost him in Tampa? If I've gone too far in deifying Parcells for bringing an era of relevance to this bullsh*t franchise, you've gone eight miles the other way in trying to minimize the job he did here.

I've finally concluded that it is Tom's exceptional stupidity that has led to slats exaggerated brain power.

If anything, my brain power is understated.

LOL yep.  slats is the skinny chick who hangs out with a fat girl just to look better.

i booked myself a share in a co-ed beach house on Fire Island for the summer. You should see the other guys in the house. I'm like Brad Pitt in there. 

You're like our own Jeffrey Ross, you are. Ooh! Do me next! Me!

I'm a one trick pony ape.

LOL yep.  slats is the skinny chick who hangs out with a fat girl just to look better.

Hmm... so... is slats hot then?

If anything, my brain power is understated.

i booked myself a share in a co-ed beach house on Fire Island for the summer. You should see the other guys in the house. I'm like Brad Pitt in there. 

House full of guys on Fire Island. HAWT.

I've got $50 that says this is Ape talking to himself.

So, it's okay when you do it... 

Positional intricacies aside, Farrior sucked under Parcells. Like complete bust-worthy suckage. Or don't you agree?

Agree, Farrior didnt live up to his draft position until he was traded, fact is Parcells did draft him and he became a pro-bowler but if you want to harp on that why no credit for Ellis and or Abraham?

Considering the fact that every player to come into the Rex Ryan Jets program never develops beyond what they were on the day they entered said program, I'd say that it's a reach that Rex can fix anyone's career

shhh...Jets fans have blind devotion to Rex....approach any criticism extremely carefully.

Archived