Jets setting Geno up to fail?

FloridaJetsFan

Just read this on NFL.com. This Chris Wesseling really doesn't hold back his dislike of the Jets or their fans. Sounds like a real ass.

By Chris Wesseling,

Around the League Writer

The New York Jets are setting Geno Smith up for failure.

Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez may be long gone, but the Jets ensured that the circus would remain in town when they signed media magnet Michael Vick to a contract that suggests a greater role than caddy, mentor and clipboard-holder.

Upon decamping from Philadelphia, Vick made it abundantly clear that his top priority of the offseason was ensuring his next job would be Week 1 starting quarterback -- regardless of locale.

We might never know what Vick was promised to sign on the Jets' dotted line, but the team was reportedly preparing the message that he would be offered a chance to compete with Smith -- and nothing more.

As this week's OTAs wrap up, it has become apparent that Vick and the Jets have divergent views on the meaning of competition.

Minutes after coach Rex Ryan emphasized that his quarterback situation is "not a closed competition," Vick held firm to his claim that it's "not an open competition."

There's a subtle but important distinction here.

When Vick says it's not an open competition, what he wants the football world to know is that it's not a fair competition. It's rigged in Smith's favor from the start, as coordinator Marty Mornhinweg acknowledged Thursday.

It's understandable that general manager John Idzik wants his second-round investment in Smith to pay off.

The problem? There are two quarterbacks that are lead-pipe locks to become lightning rods if they open the season on the bench: Vick and Johnny Manziel.

At the first sign of a Smith slump he will be looking over his shoulder at Vick, enveloped by the dissonant cacophony of catcalls from the home "faithful."

If the Jets wanted to avoid a return bout with the bilious big top, they should have put their full support behind Smith rather than believing they could brainwash a determined Vick into toeing the company line.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the first sign of a Smith slump he will be looking over his shoulder at Vick, enveloped by the dissonant cacophony of catcalls from the home "faithful."

the home "Faithful."

Yeah, you mean those fans who pay the highest ticket prices in the league.  Those fans suck.

I think the writers believe that if they call the team a circus enough and it will become a circus. It's such wishful thinking that the Jets and Rex Ryan can suck so they can just continually trash the team. Beyond annoying at this point.

I guess the other option would have been to sign no legitimate back up and roll with Matt Simms and Tahj Boyd.

the Jets should make it an open competition. Rigged competitions are Bulls--t. It's a football team not a coronation. The best player should play.

If Vick stinks and Geno can't beat out Vick, what does it say about Geno? 

Every quarterback controversy since the beginning of time, regardless of what teams are involved, all have one thing in common.  Mediocre quarterback play.  Once they find someone who is no longer mediocre, all controversies end.  Geno will have a crack to prove he can be that guy, if he can't they will call on Vick so that the season is not a total waste.  That is basically what is going on here.

Silly rabbit. Tricks are for kids.  Its obvious Idzik is trying to save face.  By signing Vick, you have a bonafide starter and you can keep Eugene on the sidelines where he belongs. He wasn't ready last year, he wont be ready this year and really wont be ready any year.  Vick will easily beat this scrub out and be the starter or take over early in the season. Idzik really blew it signing Eugene last year.  So many other better qb's were available in this year's draft and Idzik AGAIN blew it by not drafting one of the  top rated qb's available.  Jimmy Garraplolo should have been a Jet  Instead, he's a patriot.  That alone speaks volumes.  Idzik is a good caplogoist and like Tanny, a horrible GM when it comes to the draft.     

silly-rabbit-tricks-are-for-kids.png

Vick is probably better than Geno this year but if Geno is close and is showing signs of improvement, he has to start so we know whether to try again next year. So in that sense it is "rigged" and it should be. If Vick was 28 it would not be "rigged" because both would have some years ahead of them. I personally believe Vick will be so much better than Geno that the team will essentially be forced to start him. But time will tell.

Silly rabbit. Tricks are for kids.  Its obvious Idzik is trying to save face.  By signing Vick, you have a bonafide starter and you can keep Eugene on the sidelines where he belongs. He wasn't ready last year, he wont be ready this year and really wont be ready any year.  Vick will easily beat this scrub out and be the starter or take over early in the season. Idzik really blew it signing Eugene last year.  So many other better qb's were available in this year's draft and Idzik AGAIN blew it by not drafting one of the  top rated qb's available.  Jimmy Garraplolo should have been a Jet  Instead, he's a patriot.  That alone speaks volumes.  Idzik is a good caplogoist and like Tanny, a horrible GM when it comes to the draft.     

silly-rabbit-tricks-are-for-kids.png

Yes Vick the bonafide starter, who lost his starting job last year, has had one season his entire career where he played all 16 games, and has a career completion percentage under 60%.

And Idzik didn't sign Geno he drafted him in a slot a lot lower than most thought he would be available. It was a very good value pick. And Garrapollo, this guy shot up draft boards for what reason. He started the draft season as a 4th round pick and kept moving up draft boards. Why? Because he was great at Eastern Ilinois...awesome.

Yes Vick the bonafide starter, who lost his starting job last year, has had one season his entire career where he played all 16 games, and has a career completion percentage under 60%.

And Idzik didn't sign Geno he drafted him in a slot a lot lower than most thought he would be available. It was a very good value pick. And Garrapollo, this guy shot up draft boards for what reason. He started the draft season as a 4th round pick and kept moving up draft boards. Why? Because he was great at Eastern Ilinois...awesome.

Signed - draft- same difference.  He belongs to Idzik just like Sanchez belonged to Tanny and that will be Idzik's demise.  So I guess the Pats are morons for drafting Garrapolo when they could have filled that pick with a much higher need.  They are very close to winning it all again.  They 'waste' a 2nd round pick on a qb when they have Brady and Mallet.  Seems like they know something about this kid that we didn't...but....not to worry...we have Eugene...woooop de do   

How are they setting him up to fail exactly ? They brought in the #1 receiver on the market, drafter a top 3 tight end in the draft as well as other receivers via draft and free agency. It's up to Geno to take the next step now, if not the Jets have insurance in Mike Vick which is exactly what he is.

Signed - draft- same difference. He belongs to Idzik just like Sanchez belonged to Tanny and that will be Idzik's demise. So I guess the Pats are morons for drafting Garrapolo when they could have filled that pick with a much higher need. They are very close to winning it all again. They 'waste' a 2nd round pick on a qb when they have Brady and Mallet. Seems like they know something about this kid that we didn't...but....not to worry...we have Eugene...woooop de do

The Patriots draft history lately has been miserable, including Mallet who they can't trade. So I'm not sure why you think the Patriots know what they are doing when it comes to drafting right now.

For once, personnel wise, the roster on offense isn't horrific.

If Amaro isn't a stiff I actually like what we're throwing out there.

I feel the same way. We can actually send a formidable offense out there and not only because of the players we've added but also because Marty will know what to do with them. He did a great job last year with a rookie QB and an anemic WR group. Should be fun to see what he can do with the offense we run out there this year.

I feel the same way. We can actually send a formidable offense out there and not only because of the players we've added but also because Marty will know what to do with them. He did a great job last year with a rookie QB and an anemic WR group. Should be fun to see what he can do with the offense we run out there this year.

Kerley is secretly really good league wide. Decker is good...if he's better than good great for us. Cumberland doesnt suck....and even then the offense should be built around Ivory until his legs fall off.

You might be setting your QB up to fail if.... you sign the top wide receiver and the top running back in free agency and draft the 2nd rated tight end.

You might be a circus if....... your starting QB is shaky, so you bring in the best backup QB on the market.

THANKS IDZIK

Signed - draft- same difference. He belongs to Idzik just like Sanchez belonged to Tanny and that will be Idzik's demise. So I guess the Pats are morons for drafting Garrapolo when they could have filled that pick with a much higher need. They are very close to winning it all again. They 'waste' a 2nd round pick on a qb when they have Brady and Mallet. Seems like they know something about this kid that we didn't...but....not to worry...we have Eugene...woooop de do

Yeah, because after Brady, the Pats have a storied history of drafting QBs!!!

THANKS IDZIK

We're missing a starting corner, a starting receiver and a starting guard. If only Idzik had some kind of resource at his disposal that he could use to fix those problems. Sadly, he only had $30 million to work with after he was done with the other signings. No GM in the world could find a starting receiver on this market for that kind of chump change.

I think the writers believe that if they call the team a circus enough and it will become a circus. It's such wishful thinking that the Jets and Rex Ryan can suck so they can just continually trash the team. Beyond annoying at this point.

Very true PSP!! They are digging soooo hard because for the 1st time in the Jets organization they have nothing to go off of because of the new GM Idzik! I love it to say the least... I know many NY Jet fans are saying this is just another failed attempt to make a splash at a real consistent football team but I really believe that we have & will push this recipe to success.. The media wants to have headlines but the funny thing is they are looking like the unorganized foolz, (except for Vic not knowing when to shut up.. future Namath, lol) In all I do give credit to Idzik & what they are trying to accomplish.. its better than what we had! 

Archived