Rex on Shaq Evans, "I think this looks like a severe injury"

BurnleyJet

Key is keep the guys till the rosters are reduced if i am reading that correctly and you are a-ok.

Yeah, that seems to be consistent with what someone posted earlier as well.  So essentially what they would need to do to avoid this as a possibility is hold onto him for a few weeks until the first cutdown (August 26th, when it goes down to 75) and IR him then.  So it's a matter of whether a player is worth enough to a team to waste 1 of 90 roster spots on him for a few weeks, despite being hurt.  If the answer to that is "no", then I guess you can't be too particularly upset if another team opts to claim him.

Rex Ryan On Evans’ shoulder injury…

We talked to him about it too and he had the other shoulder before but this one seems to be bothering him a lot more. Again, we always say we’ll lean on our doctors and trainers, but we will. I think this looks like a severe injury.

Example

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=11277873&city=boston&src=desktop

The New England Patriots have claimed running back Tyler Gaffney on waivers from the Carolina Panthers, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports.

Gaffney, a sixth-round draft choice out of Stanford, sustained a season-ending knee injury in a practice Friday.

The claiming of Gaffney is similar to what the Patriots did two seasons ago with tight end Jake Ballard, who was waived by the Giants with the intention of placing him on injured reserve that year. But before the Giants could place Ballard on IR, he had to clear waivers, per NFL rules when teams are under the 90-man roster limit, and the Patriots claimed him.

"The bottom line is Tyler's injury is a season-ender. It's not a little tear that could be scoped and he'd be back in three weeks," Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman told the Charlotte Observer. "This was a legitimate, season-ending injury. We have Jonathan Stewart, who's not practicing, and we needed the roster spot. Plain and simple. ... This is a very competitive business, and people are going to try to improve their team within the rules. And this is within the rules."

The Patriots inherit Gaffney's contract, which runs through 2017 and calls for base salaries of $420,000, $510,000, $600,000 and $690,000.

AP Photo/Nell Redmond

Rookie RB Tyler Gaffney was claimed on waivers by the Patriots. He will miss the season with a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee.

Similar to Ballard, the Patriots are likely to keep Gaffney on their 90-man roster, before moving him to IR when rosters are reduced and a player doesn't have to go through the waiver process. That means the team would pay him $420,000 for 2014 for the chance to work with him in 2015 and beyond. Three of the Patriots' top running backs this year -- Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen and Brandon Bolden -- enter the final year of their contracts.

Gaffney will undergo surgery to repair the torn lateral meniscus in his left knee and will miss the rest of the season. He suffered the injury on his first play of Friday night's practice.

Gaffney had 330 carries for 1,709 yards last season at Stanford. In 486 carries in college he never had an injury.

Day-um.

What kind of a silly rule is this? I get the purpose is to prevent teams from using IR as a free roster spot to lock an unready kid up for a year. But the team that's poaching should have to give up something. Certainly should have to reimburse the original team the amount of the signing bonus since the original team had no intention of cutting the player. At least that. Possibly a draft pick in that same round at a later date (either the upcoming season, or maybe a year after that since the player isn't going to see the field for a year as it is).

So I do get the reason why, but I think too little thought went into the execution.

Some Speculation Shaq Evans could land on IR, Providing the Pats don't steal him when he goers through waivers.

Seems his shoulder injury is pretty bad?

Chris Lopresti ‏@CLoprestiWFAN 2m

Rex says Shaq Evans could land on IR with his shoulder injury. Doesn't surprise me at all. #NYJ

this is a better alternative than carrying Evans all year over a player who out performed him

+1

I figured Enunwa for the stash guy, but this works just as well.

Roster management.

It's a good thing that the Jets don't have to rely on Evans this year. A year ago he would have been thrust into a significant role right away. Now he's not ready, there are some solid veteran receivers on the roster, and he basically redshirts.

Or we could have just drafted this guy. 

nfl_a_matthews_j_600.jpg

he most likely didn't , we're trying to stash him on IR and redshirt him

That was my initial gut thought, but I think it's difficult for a team to keep that secret. It wouldn't be just the Jets; it would be everyone. No matter how much the team or the player or any representatives of each are told to keep it under wraps, eventually word always gets leaked out. And it isn't as though the reporters covering the Jets have no interest in exposing the Idzik-run Jets should they find out; it would be a major scoop and would mean national coverage and interviews and maybe even a book about it if they could document this extensive practice. 

So "You're injured badly wink-wink" may be the case, but why would Evans do that? Because it's a WRs dream to come up through the ranks on the Jets? A linebacker, maybe that would be believable.

But backup WR on the Jets, as opposed to a pass-heavy (or west coast) team that could scoop him up and stash him for the year, doesn't strike me as a dream job for a kid who grew up in Tacoma and played college ball at UCLA. Someone else - whether it's New England or his hometown Seahawks or whoever - would be assuming his current contract so he'd be in no worse of a situation. Except maybe that he gets more of a benefit of the doubt from the Jets in '15 or '16 because they used a 4th round pick on him where another team has nothing invested. Or that the team's training facility is like super-nice. But that's about all I could come up with.

Basically there's little in it for him to "play ball" in this regard with the Jets. He'd be just as well off being on IR on many other teams' rosters.

That was my initial gut thought, but I think it's difficult for a team to keep that secret. It wouldn't be just the Jets; it would be everyone. No matter how much the team or the player or any representatives of each are told to keep it under wraps, eventually word always gets leaked out. And it isn't as though the reporters covering the Jets have no interest in exposing the Idzik-run Jets should they find out; it would be a major scoop and would mean national coverage and interviews and maybe even a book about it if they could document this extensive practice. 

So "You're injured badly wink-wink" may be the case, but why would Evans do that? Because it's a WRs dream to come up through the ranks on the Jets? A linebacker, maybe that would be believable.

But backup WR on the Jets, as opposed to a pass-heavy (or west coast) team that could scoop him up and stash him for the year, doesn't strike me as a dream job for a kid who grew up in Tacoma and played college ball at UCLA. Someone else - whether it's New England or his hometown Seahawks or whoever - would be assuming his current contract so he'd be in no worse of a situation. Except maybe that he gets more of a benefit of the doubt from the Jets in '15 or '16 because they used a 4th round pick on him where another team has nothing invested. Or that the team's training facility is like super-nice. But that's about all I could come up with.

Basically there's little in it for him to "play ball" in this regard with the Jets. He'd be just as well off being on IR on many other teams' rosters.

I think there's a middle ground here, not dissimilar to what the Jets did with McElroy his rookie year.  The kid probably does have a legitimate injury, but it's quite possible that, under different circumstances (i.e., if he were a starter), the injury would not be considered serious enough to land him on IR, but in this case they opt to go that route given that he'd likely be missing time regardless, and is kind of a question mark as it is.  If the player knows he's hurt and yet is still guaranteed a roster spot and therefore to get paid, he and his agent are probably not particularly likely to start arguing over whether he may or may not be able to come back a few months from now.

I can't remember, was he still on the board when we took Evans?

Nope, but he was on the board in the 2nd round up until the Eagles took him. We should have traded up to get him. We could have traded our 2nd rounder and our 4th rounder (the pick we used to draft Evans in the 4th) to draft Matthews. Idzik was trying to trade up for Marqise Lee, but once he lost his opportunity there he should have continued to try to trade up for Matthews. 

Nope, but he was on the board in the 2nd round up until the Eagles took him. We should have traded up to get him. We could have traded our 2nd rounder and our 4th rounder (the pick we used to draft Evans in the 4th) to draft Matthews. Idzik was trying to trade up for Marqise Lee, but once he lost his opportunity there he should have continued to try to trade up for Matthews. 

Oh, BOO.

It's sort of unrealistic to say "we could have instead" IF he wasn't there in the 4th when we picked Shaq Evans. Convoluted trade-around if/then scenarios are fun and all, but it's a stretch to imply we missed the boat by taking Shaq Evans instead.

I think there's a middle ground here, not dissimilar to what the Jets did with McElroy his rookie year.  The kid probably does have a legitimate injury, but it's quite possible that, under different circumstances (i.e., if he were a starter), the injury would not be considered serious enough to land him on IR, but in this case they opt to go that route given that he'd likely be missing time regardless, and is kind of a question mark as it is.  If the player knows he's hurt and yet is still guaranteed a roster spot and therefore to get paid, he and his agent are probably not particularly likely to start arguing over whether he may or may not be able to come back a few months from now.

How exactly is that any different from going to another team that just by the act of claiming them  has do exactly what your talking about in terms of roster spot and salary? Or better yet, if this was the case, why wouldn't the team just put him on the unable to perform list which gives the team the option of activating him by week 8 or putting him on IR at that point?

Oh, BOO.

It's sort of unrealistic to say "we could have instead" IF he wasn't there in the 4th when we picked Shaq Evans. Convoluted trade-around if/then scenarios are fun and all, but it's a stretch to imply we missed the boat by taking Shaq Evans instead.

Fair enough, then let me say this. 

Jordan Matthews was on the board when we picked Calvin Pryor. Nothing complicated about that. I've said on JN that I felt Jordan Matthews was a 1st round talent. Still believe that. 

And my position on Matthews isn't an indictment on Evans, or Pryor for that Matter. Just in regards to WR's, we had the opportunity to get imo the most complete WR coming out of college. 

Evans is a project but if we hit....watch out. But we have to develop and hit first. Matthews is a great talent. 

FYI Matthews is behind Brad Smith on the Eagles first depth chart

yes that Brad Smith. 

This is equivalent to Alshon Jeffery being "fat". Its just noise bro. Sometimes coaches want you to earn your spot, not just because you're obviously more talented than the player in front of you. Earn the respect of your teammates and coaches. That wouldnt be the first time that has happened. We'll see soon enough. 

Archived