Winstons the Guy

SonnyJet

:hand:

You sound like Smashmouth defending Sanchez in 2011.

Winston leads his team to come from behind wins because he plays like sh*t for 3 quarters most weeks.

Don't ever compare me to that blockhead. And that's a terrible comparison anyway. He's nowhere near Sanchez bad.

He's 18 and 12. It's not like he's just handing the ball to defenders like Sanchez did.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want no part of a guy who is half Mark Sanchez, half Jamarcus Russell. 

You're the idiot if you think the Jets should draft this bust in waiting. 

Probably right but only if the Jets draft him. If he goes elsewhere..........well you know how that goes.

How do you feel about Mariota and the fact that every play is from the shotgun just like Geno at WV. Scary also proposition no?

Probably right but only if the Jets draft him. If he goes elsewhere..........well you know how that goes.

How do you feel about Mariota and the fact that every play is from the shotgun just like Geno at WV. Scary also proposition no?

Not as much. Mariota's better at reading defenses already. 

Winston is a one read QB. If his first option isn't open he is supposed to run. He doesn't go through progressions, at least not in the 6 or 7 games I've seen. 

I've seen Mariota freeze safeties. Look off primaries and go to the open man, dump off to a RB. He is so much more polished and pro ready than Winston its almost comical. 

The NFL is moving more to a model where QBs take well over 50% of their snaps from the gun. I was watching the Broncos yesterday and even Peyton Manning, who started his career under center, using 5 and 7 step drop backs, took the majority of his snaps from shotgun, even when the Broncos were running the ball. 

No they're not but they are still stacked. Which is why I think his #s aren't bear what they were last year.

But his ability to lift the teams and get everyone rallied around him along with ice cold veins whenever they need it can't be denied. Everyone talking about his picks fails to mention they never show up on those game winning drives. Ever. It's crazy. His 2nd half stats vs first half are insane.

WOW

This is a major turn around. I remember you jumping on me about a month and a half ago when I said about the same thing. :)

Winston has also been playing with what appears to be a high ankle sprain for most of the season which is affecting his stats

Winston is a one read QB. If his first option isn't open he is supposed to run. He doesn't go through progressions, at least not in the 6 or 7 games I've seen.

I've seen Mariota freeze safeties. Look off primaries and go to the open man, dump off to a RB. He is so much more polished and pro ready than Winston its almost comical.

The NFL is moving more to a model where QBs take well over 50% of their snaps from the gun. I was watching the Broncos yesterday and even Peyton Manning, who started his career under center, using 5 and 7 step drop backs, took the majority of his snaps from shotgun, even when the Broncos were running the ball.

This is a terrible analysis of the 2 QBs.

95% of college QBs are one read. And Winston barely runs. He does much more damage from

The pocket than Mariota.

WOW

This is a major turn around. I remember you jumping on me about a month and a half ago when I said about the same thing. :)

Winston has also been playing with what appears to be a high ankle sprain for most of the season which is affecting his stats

Yep. I have. He's got some qualities you can't teach.

I'm far from sold on him and he's far from a flawless prospect but I'd prefer his game to that of Mariota.

its hilarious that Jets fans think our team should Pass on Winston.  For what? another defensive lineman? 

can't hit a home run if all you do is look at pitches. Gotta take a swing. 

I'd absolutely take Leonard Williams over Winston 100 times out of 100, despite D-line being the least of our concerns. I'd take an OT like Peat, an OLB like Gregory, a WR like Cooper, or hell, even a RB like Gordon over him as well. 

Winston is not a probable bust; he's a lock. You take a guy like that in the top 5 and unlike someone like Geno who you took in the 2nd, you can't jettison him after a season and a half if (when) he plays like sh*t - you're stuck with him for a minimum of 3 seasons. It's a franchise crippling move.

Treat Winston like he has ebola and stay as far away from him as humanly possible.

Well good thing is we are going to see him play in a big time game againt a real team in the playoffs.  Lets see what he does there, then we will know if he can play against real defenses.

Agree

He did pretty good against Auburn last year. FSU isn't what they were last year either

Fair enough eval I suppose however conventional wisdom aside, I am so shell shocked by this team I have no faith they will get this right whether they go Winston or Mariotta and think that even if they get the better prospect they'll just ruin him.

-Has familiarity in a pro style offense

-Has the size and arm talent

-Can anticipate throws and throws guys open

-Great under pressure and late in games

-Can tune out negativity while on the field

All these factors makes him our new franchise QB. Forget the off field issues.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....no.

Are you smoking crack? This guy has "Problem Child" written all over him. If Mariota is available you trade up for him. NO TO WINSTON!

LL

Fair enough eval I suppose however conventional wisdom aside, I am so shell shocked by this team I have no faith they will get this right whether they go Winston or Mariotta and think that even if they get the better prospect they'll just ruin him.

+1

Told my son this the other day when we were watching FSU BC. Doesn't really matter who the Jets take between The Duck, and Winston. You can bet the other guy is going to be a star

I don't like winston as a pro QB, but everything I've read is he is very good at reading defenses and going through progressions.  I don't like his footwork, attitude and bust potential.

This (although 20 is a VERY conservative estimate, IMO).

Not to mention he's playing against defenses in the ACC that look worse than my Pop Warner teams back in the day…imagine how much worse he'd look in the SEC, let alone the NFL!

The people talking about "all he does is win" fail to account for 1) him playing on arguably the most talent rich team in all of CFB, and 2) barely scraping by the dregs of the ACC that any competent QB would be blowing out of the water with the supporting cast Winston has.

Ryan Leaf. JaMarcus Russell. Vince Young. Jameis Winston. Guy is as much of a lock to bust as any QB in history.

Why is he a lock to be a bust? Is your background scouting? Mine isn't. Not be sarcastic (well maybe a little) but just wondering how you've come up with this assessment.

I don't like winston as a pro QB, but everything I've read is he is very good at reading defenses and going through progressions.  I don't like his footwork, attitude and bust potential.

You don't like his footwork? HAHAHAHA! That's classic. Are you a QB coach? Have reviewed his tapes?

Look, I will give you the risk of his off the field stuff which would reflect a poor attitude but "I don't like his footwork" is so silly to even suggest. Let me guess, you played high school football so you've got a knack for QB analysis? 

Why is he a lock to be a bust? Is your background scouting? Mine isn't. Not be sarcastic (well maybe a little) but just wondering how you've come up with this assessment.

Of course it's not a lock that he is a bust. I just think the potential bust factor on Winston is higher than just about any prospect I've ever seen.

His off field issues mean this kid is gonna be in a fish bowl no matter where he is drafted. If its with the Jets, the national media will be begging for him to bust just so they can write "the Jets are a circus" story which seems to be ESPN's favorite NFL meme. 

This kid won the Heisman and a National Championship last year and yet his coach still felt the need to tell him not to do anything stupid after their win over Notre Dame? Not a good sign. If this kid doesn't know how to comport himself yet, he's never gonna get it. 

bring in Brian Hoyer.

Can we please ******* stop with this sh*t, Hoyer is a less talented Josh McCown, but a little younger, I want ******* Super Bowl wins not 9-7, 10-6 out in the first round of the playoffs because our QB can't keep up with the big boys. Hoyer isn't going anywhere next year without a long term commitment, yes in this league where QB's are difficult to find he will get one. And I for one don't want to be stuck rooting for the dumb ass team that invests long term to him.

Nothing personnel against Hoyer dude is a hard worker, smart guy, and a top tier option for backup QB, but not Super Bowl winning caliber in this pass heavy version of the NFL.

Of course it's not a lock that he is a bust. I just think the potential bust factor on Winston is higher than just about any prospect I've ever seen.

His off field issues mean this kid is gonna be in a fish bowl no matter where he is drafted. If its with the Jets, the national media will be begging for him to bust just so they can write "the Jets are a circus" story which seems to be ESPN's favorite NFL meme. 

This kid won the Heisman and a National Championship last year and yet his coach still felt the need to tell him not to do anything stupid after their win over Notre Dame? Not a good sign. If this kid doesn't know how to comport himself yet, he's never gonna get it.

The kid was/is 19/20 years old! How many 19/20 year olds do you know that you don't have to pull aside, and plead for them not to do anything stupid. IMO this kid needs to go back for his Junior year, get more coaching, and maturity, and come out in the 2016 draft, sit for 1-2 years, and then he would probably be a star in the league. Unfortunately for him none of that will ever happen in the 2015 NFL.

The kid was/is 19/20 years old! How many 19/20 year olds do you know that you don't have to pull aside, and plead for them not to do anything stupid. IMO this kid needs to go back for his Junior year, get more coaching, and maturity, and come out in the 2016 draft, sit for 1-2 years, and then he would probably be a star in the league. Unfortunately for him none of that will ever happen in the 2015 NFL.

I'm so sick of the age excuse. 

Andrew Luck didn't need to be told to not do anything stupid. Peyton Manning didn't. Aaron Rodgers didn't. Drew Brees didn't. John Elway didn't. You want me to keep going? Because I can name a hundred guys who were mature enough to handle it and to man all were successful in the NFL. Of the guys who needed to be told not to do something stupid at the same stage in their career as Winston, you'd be hard pressed to find a good NFL QB. 

If you want to be an NFL quarterback and be a leader of men, you don't need someone telling you not to do anything stupid, even at 19-20 years old. 

These kids have been under a microscope since their early teens. They've been through the recruiting process. They've won starting jobs. And big time college football is not something that isn't paid attention to like minor league baseball. Guys at major programs do dozens and dozens of interviews. A guy who goes through the Heisman process will be scrutinized like crazy. A guy who has been through a Heisman race and dealt with the media build up to a National Championship Game should not need to be told not to do anything stupid following a win in early November.

I'm so sick of the age excuse.

Andrew Luck didn't need to be told to not do anything stupid. Peyton Manning didn't. Aaron Rodgers didn't. Drew Brees didn't. John Elway didn't. You want me to keep going? Because I can name a hundred guys who were mature enough to handle it and to man all were successful in the NFL. Of the guys who needed to be told not to do something stupid at the same stage in their career as Winston, you'd be hard pressed to find a good NFL QB.

If you want to be an NFL quarterback and be a leader of men, you don't need someone telling you not to do anything stupid, even at 19-20 years old.

These kids have been under a microscope since their early teens. They've been through the recruiting process. They've won starting jobs. And big time college football is not something that isn't paid attention to like minor league baseball. Guys at major programs do dozens and dozens of interviews. A guy who goes through the Heisman process will be scrutinized like crazy. A guy who has been through a Heisman race and dealt with the media build up to a National Championship Game should not need to be told not to do anything stupid following a win in early November.

First off don't include Elway, kid was a knuckle head, he was lucky to grow up in the early 80's. Luck, Manning, and Brees all stayed 4 years in college none of them won the National Championship, never mind winning it as a Freshman, or the Heisman trophy. Everything this kid does is exaggerated.

And come on Luck, and Manning the 2 best prospects to ever come out of college is your comparison, nobody is saying he compares to them. Big Ben is his comparison, someone who needed to be corralled off the field, but on the field his size, and skill set is tough to replicate.

First off don't include Elway, kid was a knuckle head, he was lucky to grow up in the early 80's. Luck, Manning, and Brees all stayed 4 years in college none of them won the National Championship, never mind winning it as a Freshman, or the Heisman trophy. Everything this kid does is exaggerated.

And come on Luck, and Manning the 2 best prospects to ever come out of college is your comparison, nobody is saying he compares to them. Big Ben is his comparison, someone who needed to be corralled off the field, but on the field his size, and skill set is tough to replicate.

Big Ben did not have Winston's off field issues coming into the league. He became a serial rapist AFTER winning his first Super Bowl. 

Elway was an arrogant prick who leveraged playing baseball to get himself traded to Denver but he didn't have disciplinary issues. 

Joe Namath, who was known as being a partier was also known for taking football very seriously and never did anything so bad that he jeopardized his career by being an idiot. That is the closest comparison you can make. You think Winston has the talent to revolutionize the passing game the way Namath did? Me neither. 

When guys have disciplinary issues its a huge red flag. If you've had the spotlight on you the way Winston has yet you still don't know how to act, you're an idiot I don't want anywhere near my football team.

Winston is not ready for the NFL. He has a maturity issue and he needs to spend more time learning. The Jets should NOT draft him under any circumstances....

Big Ben did not have Winston's off field issues coming into the league. He became a serial rapist AFTER winning his first Super Bowl.

Elway was an arrogant prick who leveraged playing baseball to get himself traded to Denver but he didn't have disciplinary issues.

Joe Namath, who was known as being a partier was also known for taking football very seriously and never did anything so bad that he jeopardized his career by being an idiot. That is the closest comparison you can make. You think Winston has the talent to revolutionize the passing game the way Namath did? Me neither.

When guys have disciplinary issues its a huge red flag. If you've had the spotlight on you the way Winston has yet you still don't know how to act, you're an idiot I don't want anywhere near my football team.

Name one respected football guy with a quote that says Winston doesn't take football seriously! Don't waste your time you won't find one. He is a knuckle head right now off the field, but on it he loves the game, and his teammates follow his lead, guys gravitate to him on the field, and go ask the Texas Rangers organization how much they loved having him there, he walks in the room, and commands respect on the field. And no let's forget how Namath almost threw his career away because he had to sell his stake in a restaurant that was a front for the mob. And let's assume Big Ben never date raped a sorority girl at Miami of Ohio because nobody was paying attention to it like they watch Winston in FSU.

Come on man!

I'm not sold he isn't going to bust either, but not sold he will because he is immature at the ripe old age of 19.

Can we please ******* stop with this sh*t, Hoyer is a less talented Josh McCown, but a little younger, I want ******* Super Bowl wins not 9-7, 10-6 out in the first round of the playoffs because our QB can't keep up with the big boys. Hoyer isn't going anywhere next year without a long term commitment, yes in this league where QB's are difficult to find he will get one. And I for one don't want to be stuck rooting for the dumb ass team that invests long term to him.

Nothing personnel against Hoyer dude is a hard worker, smart guy, and a top tier option for backup QB, but not Super Bowl winning caliber in this pass heavy version of the NFL.

He's just an option.. and in my opinion a much better option than Winston.

Hoyer/Cooper > Winston

its hilarious that Jets fans think our team should Pass on Winston.  For what? another defensive lineman? 

can't hit a home run if all you do is look at pitches. Gotta take a swing. 

its settled. bitonti advocates for Winston therefore we should stay as far away from him as possible

btw, after this latest incident with him and the officials I think its clear the guy is a behavior problem we don't need

Archived