Rex knew all year that Idzik would fire him - And other Rex/Idzik Articles (merged)

Mogglez

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how many picks we've had, his drafts have been brutal.  Comparing them to other Jets drafts does you no good.  Idzik was supposed to be different.  Yeah, I know you're going to argue that it was Rex's influence that made those drafts as bad as they were.  But Idzik was supposed to be the adult in the room who paid Rex no attention. 

Idzik was hired by Woody Johnson who is a terrible owner.  I don't see why its such a surprise that our new GM wasn't able to fix much of anything.  If Idzik really had it in his plans to fire Rex before this season began it should have happened already.  This is all stupidity. 

1 starter from the last two drafts I believe.

Considering how many picks we've had, his drafts have been brutal. Comparing them to other Jets drafts does you no good. Idzik was supposed to be different. Yeah, I know you're going to argue that it was Rex's influence that made those drafts as bad as they were. But Idzik was supposed to be the adult in the room who paid Rex no attention.

Idzik was hired by Woody Johnson who is a terrible owner. I don't see why its such a surprise that our new GM wasn't able to fix much of anything. If Idzik really had it in his plans to fire Rex before this season began it should have happened already. This is all stupidity.

Go look at the teams you think had good drafts and tabulate the percentage of those picks that are actually contributing.

3 teams in 9 years for "all-pro" talent with captain capabilities? Yeah, that is a lot for a position which is deemed so important.

Right, and his hip injuries wouldn't have factored at all in SD trying to move him before it became chronic and made him look like the player he was last  year.  One of the reasons I initially supported letting him go was because of the hip.  Once the roster shook out and I saw they had no proven players, I thought it was crazy to let him go.  You said the team didn't like him despite the fact that the very same team voted him as their MVP the season before.  But a quote that says "some players" without naming names, is evidence that he was let for that reason?

Right, and his hip injuries wouldn't have factored at all in teams trying to move him before it became chronic and made him look like the player he was last  year.  One of the reasons I initially supported letting him go was because of the hip.  Once the roster shook out and I saw they had no proven players, I thought it was crazy to let him go.  You said the team didn't like him despite the fact that the very same team voted him as their MVP the season before.  But a quote that says "some players" without naming names, is evidence that he was let for that reason?

Here is how much the Jets liked antonio Cromartie-They had an option at a little more than $3m dollars and could have kept him.

They brought in Dmitri Patterson for $3m.

THAT is how much the Jets thought of Antonio Cromartie. Yeah, they loved him.

If Cro was such a cancer, then the Jets should've gotten better with his departure? No?

From Collision Low Crossers:

During the 2010 season, Cromartie was at times an excellent Jets cornerback. He was also prone to strange lapses in coverage, especially when he played off the line of scrimmage.

It was difficult for the coaches watching film to understand his tendency to drop back several yards before the snap, which allowed receivers free release, since Cromartie’s long arms gave him excellent leverage to control his opponents at the line, diverting them before they set off on their pass routes. That somebody could be so good at something and yet so resistant to doing it that he exposed himself to public failure baffled the coaches.

You could find very few instances on NFL film when a defensive player avoided contact. You had to look to other sports to find an analogue. As Sutton said, “Cro’s like an NBA player who hates to play defense.” After watching film of Cromartie ducking a tackle, just as he’d done as a Charger, the coaches, thunderstruck, would say things like “He’d already made his one for the day” and “Cro is a visual deterrent!” In the winter of 2011, Cro was a free agent, and the coaches were ambivalent. They wanted Tannenbaum to sign him back, and at the same time, they dreaded it.

Here is how much the Jets liked antonio Cromartie-They had an option at a little more than $3m dollars and could have kept him.

Dude, you're having multiple conversations at once here...take  a breath and show a little objectivity.

Letting him go is kind of where this part of the discussion started.  It speaks to Idzik's inability to solidify the roster for one of two reasons.  First being that he didn't want any talent on the roster, which is bad.  Second is that he's not able to identify talent, that's bad too.

Then, you implied that the Jets didn't like him in the locker room (which was purely a guess on your part based on a vague quote with nobody named) despite the fact that the guys who are in the locker room with him, were happy to recognize him as their most valuable player just one season before.

The Jets letting him go for that price is the discussion.  I said it was a bad move.  Based on how he has performed at that price, I was right.

From Collision Low Crossers:

During the 2010 season, Cromartie was at times an excellent Jets cornerback. He was also prone to strange lapses in coverage, especially when he played off the line of scrimmage.

It was difficult for the coaches watching film to understand his tendency to drop back several yards before the snap, which allowed receivers free release, since Cromartie’s long arms gave him excellent leverage to control his opponents at the line, diverting them before they set off on their pass routes. That somebody could be so good at something and yet so resistant to doing it that he exposed himself to public failure baffled the coaches.

You could find very few instances on NFL film when a defensive player avoided contact. You had to look to other sports to find an analogue. As Sutton said, “Cro’s like an NBA player who hates to play defense.” After watching film of Cromartie ducking a tackle, just as he’d done as a Charger, the coaches, thunderstruck, would say things like “He’d already made his one for the day” and “Cro is a visual deterrent!” In the winter of 2011, Cro was a free agent, and the coaches were ambivalent. They wanted Tannenbaum to sign him back, and at the same time, they dreaded it.

Yet still worth every penny he got, and light years better than anyone else on the roster at that position.

Is this a case for or against Johm Idzik? 

Jets owner Woody Johnson needs to replace John Idzik with a competent GM Idzik’s micromanagement has become a punchline inside the team facility. More than anything, he has just made terrible football decisions. Johnson needs to hit the re-set button to give hope to everyone again.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:24 PM

jets-idzik-football.jpg

What was John Idzik doing off to the side in a half-empty Jets locker room Monday night in Detroit?

Praying? Pleading? Hoping? Scheming?

The embattled general manager was slumped on a folding chair, head down, hands clasped in a prayer position, as the substandard players he signed or drafted filed out after getting steamrolled by five touchdowns.

Idzik appeared lost in thought for a few moments, a surreal portrait of a man anchored by a mountain of miscalculations.

Rex Ryan’s fate is no longer up for debate. He will be seeking employment in five weeks.

Woody Johnson’s most pivotal football decision now centers on what to do with a general manager who has helped turn the Jets into a league laughingstock with a string of follies.

The Jets’ embarrassing 38-3 loss to the Bills exposed familiar wounds, but there’s no denying the root of all the problems. Idzik, more than any coach or player, is responsible for the train wreck before Johnson’s eyes.

Johnson said 14 months ago that the organization was “more unified” with Idzik in charge, but shortly after the owner maintained that he was “pretty happy so far” with his GM because of the culture he was building, a prominent member of the organization painted a different picture.

“He’s definitely making things more paranoid,” the insider told the Daily News after Idzik’s first season on the job. “He doesn’t trust anyone.”

At one point, an organizational source told the News that Idzik was on a “witch hunt” to discover the people in the building who had made critical remarks about him to the media.

Last week, the Jets prevented Rex Ryan from sharing details about his bye-week trip to Kentucky to see his 83-year-old father, Buddy, who has battled cancer in recent years. Ryan was happy to discuss the visit, but a media relations official intervened presumably because of the News’ critical stories about Idzik.

Asked who made the decision to prevent a willing Ryan from sharing stories about his father, the media relations official said, “I don’t have to tell you.”

Ryan has always given his players the freedom to speak their minds, but the organization has muzzled the coach with a change on the horizon. He will be the fall guy on Black Monday.

woodyjohnsonbillboard.JPG 

Meanwhile, disgruntled fans have paid for billboards popping up across North Jersey calling for Idzik’s ouster. The newest one demands Johnson replace Idzik or sell the team.

Idzik’s preoccupation with ancillary issues the past two years borders on comical.

His rambling press conference last month, ironically, conjured up the circus allusions that the organization despised during the Tim Tebow days.

Idzik’s micromanagement has become a punchline inside the team facility. More than anything, he has just made terrible football decisions.

Idzik is the Bizarro Midas: Just about everything he touches turns into coal instead of gold.

There’s little doubt that the GM has tried to frame a self-preservation inspired reality for Johnson. However, it’ll be incumbent upon the owner to get a true sense of the problems in football operations. The holes in the roster are plentiful regardless of what Idzik might be trying to sell to his boss.

For starters, the Jets need to officially pull the plug on the Geno Smith experiment and find a real quarterback. Upgrades at cornerback (stop the Dex McDougle propaganda please), offensive line, wide receiver and outside linebacker are also necessary.

Johnson would benefit greatly by having a general manager with a rich scouting background to identify players in the draft and free agency. Johnson said earlier this year that he liked Idzik’s patient and deliberate style, but those traits are killers in a fast-paced league dominated by smart, quick thinkers.

Ryan fibbed his way through another day-after-loss conference call to protect Idzik, but the owner shouldn’t be fooled.

“I think we have a lot of talent on this football team,” Ryan said Tuesday.

Johnson needs to hit the re-set button to give hope to everyone again.

Manish has finally accepted that Rex is gone and now throws Idzik under the bus.

I love it.

....but what if...it was the COACHES...WHO DIDN'T WANT CRO OMG OMG OMG

;)

That could very well be the case but I wasn't there.  It's Idzik's job to evaluate and acquire talent, you'll be shocked to learn he failed...again.

I gotta get one of these GM jobs. They're not responsible for anything. Pretty sweet deal. 

Anyone you don't sign wasn't a fit, anyone you do sign was signed by the coach.

Gonna' be a long line though, tons of GM's with plenty of qualifications right on this board.

Not that we need another Idzik thread, but anonymous comments or not, I don't think I've ever heard a more harsh quote given from one exec in relation to another.  I've heard critical, but this is bad...

per Adam Schein

"John Idzik is a clueless control freak.....that is not a ringing endorsement" -- NFL GM to Adam Schein

"John Idzik needs to go" -- Schein

If he wanted to keep his job, perhaps he could've, ya know,won 11-12 games, secured a division title or so such thing. Coaches who lose 10-14 games and haven't made the playoff for 4 years get fired every time. At this point lose'em all anyway and let's get Mariota or whomever isntead of watching Ryan stamp his feet for another DL guy or a bust DB.

I gotta get one of these GM jobs. They're not responsible for anything. Pretty sweet deal.

If the extent of what you know about the job is TEH GM PICKS TEH PLAYERZ, then yeah, I'll bet it seems like quite a gig. All common sense as to why this is way more complicated than you imagine it to be to the contrary. The amount of luck that plays into short-term results is an inconvenient reality both for GMs trying to keep their jobs and people who like to have big opinions about serious business, and you're always giving up a head start to 31 other guys who, the estimations of the geniuses in their own respective fanbases notwithstanding, are pretty smart themselves.

If Idzik survives, it was a savvy play by him. He spent a rebuilding season gaining total control of the operation. The entire building was infested with Rex's drinking buddies, and now he gets to fumigate. Even if he's fired, he's done us a great service.

There is no savvy play that involves drafting Saunders and signing Patterson.  At the very least he looks like a moron. 

....but what if...it was the COACHES...WHO DIDN'T WANT CRO OMG OMG OMG

;)

I am very sure the coaches did not really want Cro back.  They look at him as a fall back.  They did it when they went after Asomugha too, but he was the fall back and he was there.  It was pretty obvious that Rex wanted another corner, Vontae Davis or DRC and didn't get one.  I am sure the coaches were not holding out hope they could get the mighty D'mitri Patterson.  The biggest surprise about Patterson is that he was healthy enough to walk out of camp.

Dude, you're having multiple conversations at once here...take  a breath and show a little objectivity.

Letting him go is kind of where this part of the discussion started.  It speaks to Idzik's inability to solidify the roster for one of two reasons.  First being that he didn't want any talent on the roster, which is bad.  Second is that he's not able to identify talent, that's bad too.

Then, you implied that the Jets didn't like him in the locker room (which was purely a guess on your part based on a vague quote with nobody named) despite the fact that the guys who are in the locker room with him, were happy to recognize him as their most valuable player just one season before.

The Jets letting him go for that price is the discussion.  I said it was a bad move.  Based on how he has performed at that price, I was right.

Please, with all due respect, stop telling me how to converse here. If you do not like my posts, place my on ignore. You come off a little condescending.

If it was about $$$ with Cro, why did they choose not to exercise their option, yet then spend relatively the same on Patterson?

That does not fit your agenda

Archived