Rex’s Metlife Mutiny

JetNation

Rex Ryan

In discussing his team’s embarrassing 38-3 loss at the hands of the Buffalo Bills one week ago, New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan remarked that unless something drastic happened, he would remain in his position for the final five weeks of the season.  One has to wonder if a mutiny on national television would qualify as the “something drastic” Ryan mentioned.

Last night, Rex Ryan thumbed his nose at his boss, John Idzik  on Monday Night Football with the whole country watching.  Throughout the course of the week, multiple media outlets reported that Idzik chose to overrule Ryan in his desire to start Michael Vick at quarterback over the highly ineffective Geno Smith.  In reality, both players have struggled this season but Vick has been the better of the two, and there appears to be a rift between Ryan and Idzik.  It’s easy to get the impression that Rex is still trying to win games, but Idzik wants to conduct player evaluations in the event he’s spared by owner Woody Johnson after what has been a disastrous season.  Ryan’s response to Idzik was this: 49 runs, 13 passes, five of which came in the final minute of the game.  A game plan that relies heavily on the run and asks as little of Geno Smith as possible is probably the best strategy the Jets can follow on a weekly basis, but this display was unbelievable.  A 6:1 ratio is unheard of in the NFL, unless of course somebody is trying to send a message.

While Idzik may have forced Ryan’s hand to start Smith, Rex made it clear that he was still the man in charge on game day.  Allowing Geno Smith to throw the ball just eight times through the game’s first 58 minutes is a staggering statistic.  Ryan gave the impression that he was going to try to pull off an upset over Miami, but he was going to do it his way.  In the meantime, he’d only be giving Idzik a handful of plays to evaluate Smith and determine whether or not he’d progressed at all after watching from the sidelines for a few weeks.  When he was asked to throw however, Smith looked a lot like the guy who was benched in favor of  Vick following his three interception performance against Buffalo in week eight.  Smith threw a game ending interception over the middle when he didn’t put enough air under his final pass and safety Reshad Jones was able to come away with the underthrown ball when it was batted in the air.  Smith also missed big when he overthrew a wide open Percy Harvin on what would have been a thirty yard touchdown pass earlier in the game.  He didn’t have many chances, but when called upon, Smith did little to help his own cause.

Another curious note related to Ryan’s in-game decisions revolved around some of Idzik’s young draft picks.  During the week, Ryan told the media that the Jets would be taking their first extensive look at some of Idzik’s selections with the Jets being mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.  Ik Enemkpali and Trevor Reilly were specifically mentioned as two players who would see increased reps.  It made sense, as there would be plenty of extra reps at the OLB position with starting OLB Quinton Coples being shifted to DE to fill in for the injured Mohammed Wilkerson.  When the final whistle blew, Reilly and Enemkpali played a combined total of eight snaps.  At least Idzik can thank Rex for freeing up any time on his calendar he may have set aside to watch any tape of the youngsters.

For a long time Rex Ryan has talked about how much it means for him to be the coach of the Jets because of his family history with the organization.  After last night however, it would appear that the nostalgia has worn off and Rex is ready to move on right now, or at the very least, to finish out the string however he sees fit.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
NpI-XoWwGCE

View the full article

There isn't a legitimate head coaching candidate in the world who would come work under Idzik next year, in the unlikely event that he's retained. Woody will have no choice but to fire Idzik if he wants someone with any ounce of credibility roaming the sidelines next year.

Every remotely sentient Jets fan could smell this disaster coming from a mile away 2 years ago, when this dipsh*t owner tried to saddle every GM candidate who interviewed with our buffoon HC. Is it any surprise that this is the end result?

This is why you don't force elements of a prior regime onto a new regime. But then again, this is the organization that today employs as our Director of College Scouting the guy who was fired as our GM 2 regimes ago  :roll:

There isn't a legitimate head coaching candidate in the world who would come work under Idzik next year, in the unlikely event that he's retained. Woody will have no choice but to fire Idzik if he wants someone with any ounce of credibility roaming the sidelines next year.

This is a really good point.

Totally agree. Keeping Idzik does nothing but severely limit the coaching candidates who will be willing to come here.

The best and smartest move is to clean house. Cut out the tumor in its entirety.

sounds a little too conspiratorial, that Rex did this on purpose. MM calls the plays on offense anyway.  Rex wouldn't intentionally embarass Gino just to get back at Itzik; he's a player's coach.

Rex is the head coach.  He has the authority to tell Mornhinweg to call a jump ball to the 6'4'' Decker who is 1-on-1 with Geno facing eight and nine man fronts.  Shotgun, one or two step drop, heave it up and let Decker earn his money.  Players in the locker room were upset to see Geno benched, and plenty of reports that Rex was too.

Totally agree. Keeping Idzik does nothing but severely limit the coaching candidates who will be willing to come here.

The best and smartest move is to clean house. Cut out the tumor in its entirety.

I can see the desire to clean house, but hiring a new HC with an existing GM in place is not an anomaly. Hiring a GM with a HC in place is. I still contend this won't limit our choices of HC.  

I can see the desire to clean house, but hiring a new HC with an existing GM in place is not an anomaly. Hiring a GM with a HC in place is. I still contend this won't limit our choices of HC.

but Idzik would be considered a lame duck GM if he is retained. So that would limit the head coaching choices because they would know he would be fired after a bad season or two.

It's not about finding a coach with an existing GM in place.  It's about the fact that Idzik has been a disaster so far, and if he's retained, the perception is going to be that he is on thin ice. And that goes on top of the fact that he's being portrayed as an incompetent jerkoff by the media. 

If you're in demand as a head coach, which situation is more attractive: the one with a new GM who is definitely going have his job for the next few years, or the one where the GM may be replaced a year from now with another guy who will want to bring in his own coach? 

In my opinion, Idzik is already damaged goods. But if the Jets keep him, they have to guarantee that he'll be retained for a few years. Otherwise no coach worth anything is going to want to come here.  Are you willing to risk that, considering the poor job he's done to this point?

but Idzik would be considered a lame duck GM if he is retained. So that would limit the head coaching choices because they would know he would be fired after a bad season or two.

Exactly. Keeping Idzik would be repeating the same mistake Woody made by keeping Rex two years ago.

that might be true if idzik was considered competent or had any respect in the league

I can only see this shaking out 2 ways

1. the most likely--- woody fires idzik at seasons end. woody hires new gm and puts in a good word for rex, but ultimately tells new gm that its his call to make. woody loves rex and he wont fire him. but I think woody will learn from his mistake 2 years ago. plus he gets an out with rex being able to tell him that he put a good word in for him

2. the least likely--- woody retains both idzik and rex

3. not going to happen--- woody fires rex and keeps idzik. woody would concede that rex is the problem and not idzik. I don't think woody is that dumb

I do not see it going any other way, at this point,imo

There are only 32 HC positions, it's a prestigious job. Many coaches are dying for the opportunity and know it'll only arise on a team with multiple issues.

They won't be too choosy unless they're a big name HC, and that list of candidates is very short.

Smith threw a game ending interception over the middle when he didn’t put enough air under his final pass and safety Reshad Jones was able to come away with the underthrown ball when it was batted in the air.

Geno threw the damn ball into triple coverage by the way - AND it was underthrown. Geno Smith sucks, and will never be a quality NFL QB. This whole BS scenario between Rex and Idzik is toxic and I pray to God it gets them both a pink slip on Black Monday. 

Geno threw the damn ball into triple coverage by the way - AND it was underthrown. Geno Smith sucks, and will never be a quality NFL QB. This whole BS scenario between Rex and Idzik is toxic and I pray to God it gets them both a pink slip on Black Monday. 

Agreed...the only reason I didn't point that out is out of respect for the actual professionals.  Heard two former NFL QB's this week say that it was the right throw based on the coverage but he underthrew it.  I was honestly shocked to hear one QB say it, let alone two.  I think they're basically saying that if the throw is a little higher, no reason it should be a catch, so hard to argue but I completely get your point.

Geno's last pass says everything you need to know about the guy. First of all, he had time to throw. For one of the few times in the game he actually had no pressure in his face, yet he did two things wrong. He threw to a guy that was triple teamed down the middle. Secondly, he way underthrew it. He has no accuracy whatsoever. I cannot for the life of me understand what Marty Mornhinweg and Rex Ryan saw in him.

Geno is a first read QB. He sees his primary read and throws. Every team sees that on tape and salivates. Get Geno outta here and draft Mariotta.

maybe he is a nice kid but he's not an intelligent individual. don't need a rocket scientist back there but do need someone with some horsepower between the ears or at a minimum a instinctual feeling for the game.

I think Idzik stays unless they get Harbaugh (or another high profile HC) and have to offer full control to get them.

With that aside I think Idzik stays...And I would agree with that...

I actually think this what Woody is going to try to do. Go for a Harbaugh or Gruden, or try to entice someone like Parcells to run the team.  The team is at such a low point that he probably feels like he needs to bring in a really big name to create some excitement. After the '96 season, Leon Hess did it by hiring Parcells. I have a feeling Woody will do something similar.

Geno is a first read QB. He sees his primary read and throws. Every team sees that on tape and salivates. Get Geno outta here and draft Mariotta.

Pretty much every QB is a first read QB.  That is why it is the first read.   It takes time for guys to transition to the NFL.  Some can and some never do.  Funny that you are so high on Mariota:  

WEAKNESSES: The Ducks' innovative offense simplifies QB decisions and this is roughly the same scheme Mariota played in high school. As such, some of the basics like taking the ball from under center and scanning downfield while dropping back are skills Mariota hasn't been asked to master yet. He's overly reliant (at this point) on his first read, occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body and wasn't a year ago when injury sapped him off his maneuverability and he was forced to throw from the pocket.

Archived