Woody should...  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Woody should...

• Wait for Dan Quinn
    • Hire Todd Bowles

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think both guys are promising candidates, I'm not sure who I would pick. The fact Bowles can be hired today and could start hiring staff could give him the leg up.

I'd love to get moving that way, too. Both candidates appear similar in terms of pedigree and temperament--both very popular with players, both seem relatively laid back, both seem well-respected around the league. I'd still prefer more of a hardass, but that doesn't seem to be out there right now. Bottom line, the deciding factor for me is that Quinn actually appears to want the job.

Wouldn't have a problem either way. Both have done very well in their careers. Simply think Quinn might get the edge because the Seahawks have had such success and he has worked here before. But no problem with Bowles. 

Wouldn't have a problem either way. Both have done very well in their careers. Simply think Quinn might get the edge because the Seahawks have had such success and he has worked here before. But no problem with Bowles.

bowles previously worked for the Jets as well

If woody thinks Quinn is the guy then ride it out until they lose or the Super Bowl is over. The jets should be trying to choose the right guy to win a championship, not trying to be impatient and do the immediate thing to satisfy those who want it over with.

in practice, probably no difference between the two. they are widgets

2015 version of Rex

not directed only at you but it amazes me sometimes when people can make such grand proclaiments based on nothing. Neither you or I know how these two guys will do as head coaches. How do you know there like Rex? Maybe their better maybe their worse, you don't know. No one will until they are giving the opportunity.

it amazes me sometimes when people can make such grand proclaiments based on nothing. Neither you or I know how these two guys will do as head coaches. How do you know there's like Rex? Maybe their better maybe there worse, you don't know. No one will until they are giving the opportunity.

I am happy that I amazed you

I'd love to get moving that way, too. Both candidates appear similar in terms of pedigree and temperament--both very popular with players, both seem relatively laid back, both seem well-respected around the league. I'd still prefer more of a hardass, but that doesn't seem to be out there right now. Bottom line, the deciding factor for me is that Quinn actually appears to want the job.

I think our offensive side of the Ball is the huge priority here and if Quinn wants Kyle Shannahan - it would suck to lose him because we had to wait a month. 

I would be surprised if Shannahan lasted until after the superbowl. 

bowles appears to be more of a blitzed-- strategy wise.  But that could be a talent issue.

If Quinn is their first choice, they should wait. The NFL has their rules in place but under the table deals happen all the time, and the league turns a blind eye to them. If Quinn has already decided on the Jets, and vice versa, then Quinn can reach out to anyone he wants working with him and pass along the promise to them. Or maybe Maccagnan can start hiring the assistants Quinn wants before he's officially offered the job.

The wait shouldn't be a factor. Hiring the right guy should be the only consideration.

I like the fact that he's exhibited a level of vision for how he should be surrounded in order to be successful. Looking at the entire Rex tenure as a 'for example', he was quite content to fall 'victim' to whoever he had to work with. Night and day difference in that regard.

seattle's defense lacks talent?

The whole argument I've begun to see that Quinn is a product of the talent on that team is kind of silly. We're talking about mid-level draft picks, UDFAs and a handful of early picks, like most teams. The MVP of the SB was undrafted. Their defense lost starters between last year and this year on defense, and look like they might be better this year (at least over the last month or so, to close out the season).

If Quinn is their first choice, they should wait. The NFL has their rules in place but under the table deals happen all the time, and the league turns a blind eye to them. If Quinn has already decided on the Jets, and vice versa, then Quinn can reach out to anyone he wants working with him and pass along the promise to them. Or maybe Maccagnan can start hiring the assistants Quinn wants before he's officially offered the job.

The wait shouldn't be a factor. Hiring the right guy should be the only consideration.

+1000. Get the guy you really want. We've waited 44 years. We can wait another 3 weeks if necessary. 

The whole argument I've begun to see that Quinn is a product of the talent on that team is kind of silly. We're talking about mid-level draft picks, UDFAs and a handful of early picks, like most teams. The MVP of the SB was undrafted. Their defense lost starters between last year and this year on defense, and look like they might be better this year (at least over the last month or so, to close out the season).

I don't even get why people try to argue this. Sherman, Maxwell, Chancellor, KJ Wright, all late round picks. Of course they're great players (NOW), after being coached up and put in position to make plays. That's great coaching. Getting guys that aren't considered top talents (hence why they get picked in the 5th round instead of the 1st) to play at an all pro type level. Meanwhile in Arizona half their starters on defense are 1st round picks, elite talent. That's the core of their defense. Seattle's defense is built on 3-4 late round picks. And that just takes more skill & better coaching. Imagine what he could get out of guys like Coples, Milliner, Pryor. Not saying Bowles can't do it or Rex couldn't pull it off, but I'd have more fait in Quinn. Plus Bowles would bring the same 3-4 defense again that we used under Rex. It's not a fit anymore, we should switch over to a Tampa 2 type defense (see Detroit, Seattle).

It's my biggest issue with Rex Ryan who takes players and force them to fit into his defense instead of building a defense around the players you have.

I don't even get why people try to argue this. Sherman, Maxwell, Chancellor, KJ Wright, all late round picks. Of course they're great players (NOW), after being coached up and put in position to make plays. That's great coaching. Getting guys that aren't considered top talents (hence why they get picked in the 5th round instead of the 1st) to play at an all pro type level. Meanwhile in Arizona half their starters on defense are 1st round picks, elite talent. That's the core of their defense. Seattle's defense is built on 3-4 late round picks. And that just takes more skill & better coaching. Imagine what he could get out of guys like Coples, Milliner, Pryor. Not saying Bowles can't do it or Rex couldn't pull it off, but I'd have more fait in Quinn. Plus Bowles would bring the same 3-4 defense again that we used under Rex. It's not a fit anymore, we should switch over to a Tampa 2 type defense (see Detroit, Seattle).

or... better scouting..

Brady isn't brady cause of coaching , he's who is is cause of work ethic

or... better scouting..

Brady isn't brady cause of coaching , he's who is is cause of work ethic

Takes more than just work ethic. Talent, the right team, right coaching, supporting cast etc. otherwise Tebow would have been the best QB of all time, the amount he trained and studied.

Takes more than just work ethic. Talent, the right team, right coaching, supporting cast etc. otherwise Tebow would have been the best QB of all time, the amount he trained and studied.

tebow had 0 talent for throwing the ball ... of course talent is required but working hard is the most important

Archived