Jets are hiring Bowles - RapSheet source [NECRO]

Integrity28

My favorite thing about Bowles is that he never let up.  Even with a lead he would never go into a "prevent" defense.  He would keep bringing pressure till only zeros remained on the clock.  No coach has done more with less this year.  That is what makes Bowles so special.  He has proven the ability to adapt.

Another difference between Rex and Coach Bowles. Rex became notorious for prevent defense at the end of halves and games, and those inevitable moments where his D would allow a scoring drive and choke away the lead or win.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Todd Bowles best gift is his ability to pick players" -Falcons DC Mike Nolan on @SiriusXMNFL. Will Maccagnan let him?

Steve Keim the GM and coach Bruce Arians are the ones who built the roster in Arizona.  I'm sure Bowles had a say but he wasn't the one pulling the trigger.  IMO Bowles best gift is the ablility to get the most out of a player.  Bowles understands a players strengths and weaknesses and knows how to work with them so that the player succeeds.

Nice read, thanks. I always liked how he was able to turn things around, whether it's Miami or his great 2nd half adjustments with the Cardinals. He somehow always found a way to fix things that didn't go too well, he always got his team/defense out of a mess and found ways to get the job done. That's huge. Teams will lose, that's a given. But how do you recover from that? Rex sucked at it. Bowles is the opposite.

Exactly... the more time Rex had with his team, the worse they got. This applies to his inability to win after bye weeks, but also to him being in place for years and the team getting worse and worse.

Bowles seems to make his teams better over time.

Steve Keim the GM and coach Bruce Arians are the ones who built the roster in Arizona.  I'm sure Bowles had a say but he wasn't the one pulling the trigger.  IMO Bowles best gift is the ablility to get the most out of a player.  Bowles understands a players strengths and weaknesses and knows how to work with them so that the player succeeds.

No, obviously Bowles wasn't pulling the trigger. For context... An argument that has taken place here for years with Rex is that he wasn't accountable for the talent on the roster, but anyone with half a wit knows that a coach needs to be able to identify talent, strengths and weaknesses... so, while this might seem like a common sense thing to crater on, here within the Jet fanbase Rex has broken the common sense of many folks.

Hello Jets fans!  It's been a while since I visited over here.  I believe it was to warn you about the Rod Graves hire.

This time however I'm here to congratulate you.  Todd Bowles is indeed the real deal.

The biggest reason that the Cardinals have been so successful the last two years has been the lights out play of the Cardinals Defense under Todd Bowles.  I guess the same could also be said for Dan Quinn of the Seahawks.  However here is the big difference, Bowles has had to play with half a deck this year.  Where Quinn has enjoyed 2 years of a stacked defense.

Here is what makes Bowles so special.  Last offseason the Cardinals lost the leader of their defense ILB Karlos Danby to the Browns via FA.  It was a big blow to the defense but not a back breaker.  The sucker punch came a few months later when the Cardinals learned that their best defensive player ILB Daryl Washington was suspended for the year.  So boom!  The Cardinals start training camp without their best two defenders from the year before.  Oh and by the way the "Honeybadger" is still recovering from a blown up knee suffered late last year and wouldn't be a starter till mid way through the season.

It gets worse.  The emotional leader of the defense DT Darnell Dockett tears up his knee during training camp and is lost for the season.  Then after everyone thinks it can't get worse, the best and ONLY pass rusher left on the team from a year before DE John Abraham decided to retire before he even plays a down due to concussions.  Oh and by the way the stud punter who was an expert at pinning opposing teams inside the 10 is lost for the year as well.  So now a team that relied on pinning a team back and smothering them with great defense was in question.  Needless to say fans were close to jumping off cliffs before the season even began.

These were just the losses/injuries that occurred before the season started.  There were a ton more that occurred in season on the defense.  Not once did Bowles blink.  He adapted his defense to suit the "next man up" philosophy.  He took rookie SS Deone Buchannon and moved him to play a hybrid ILB.  Bowles often had 3-4 safeties on the field and used exotic blitz packages.  One thing was for sure, Bowles had to manifacture a pass rush.  He blitzed early and often as a way to pressure the QB.  That often meant leaving his DBs in one on one coverage.  Yet amazingly it worked!

My favorite thing about Bowles is that he never let up.  Even with a lead he would never go into a "prevent" defense.  He would keep bringing pressure till only zeros remained on the clock.  No coach . has done more with less this year.  That is what makes Bowles so special.  He has proven the ability to adapt.

Great post. Don't be a stranger. Mike Francesa made an interesting point which backs up the genesis of your post.He was saying how great the Seahawks defense is, but how they didn't really start to be dominant until Wagner and one other guy came back. He said that is fantastic, but it needs everyone to be playing to be so.Contrast that to what Bowles had to do this year as, you just pointed out., and that might be a major reason why Jets were aggressive with Bowles.

Exactly... the more time Rex had with his team, the worse they got. This applies to his inability to win after bye weeks, but also to him being in place for years and the team getting worse and worse.

Bowles seems to make his teams better over time.

Yeah I have zero love for the Ryan family.  In fact one of my few posts here was regarding my thoughts on Ryan:

He is Buffalo's problem now.  Funny his Buffalo introductory press conference so reminded me of his dad's "You have a winner in town".

"You've got a winner in town," Buddy Ryan told us that fine day.

This was a few minutes after Ryan signed that fat contract with Bill Bidwill, the Cardinals owner.

Buddy Ryan reminds me of Jackie Gleason playing Ralph Kramden. All Ryan needs on the sidelines is one of Kramden's old bus-driver uniforms.

Ryan's got a bigger and even more boastful mouth than Gleason, the proverbial Great One, had, and this time, it has placed him in a predicament he may not emerge from intact.

"We're going to be in the playoffs," Ryan assured one and all. Oh, sure. Where are they headed now after two performances that have revealed this is an Arizona Cardinals team without an offense?

If Ryan ends up getting the boot, he will have no one to blame but himself.

Players will be shocked they're gonna have to respect the headcoach who is also going to hold them accountable for once. No more movies for Geno, no more missed team meetings for Pryor & company. No more broken coverages in the defense. No more selfish penalties. Looking forward to all that.

gee, I'll miss all the 12 men on the field penalties.  I looked forward to that 2 or 3 times per game.  At least we'll get to see that twice a year when we play Rex's Jills.

gee, I'll miss all the 12 men on the field penalties.  I looked forward to that 2 or 3 times per game.  At least we'll get to see that twice a year when we play Rex's Jills.

Personally, I'll miss the timeouts called before and after delay of game penalties.  Also, the running down of the game clock after clearly disputable plays so the other team has a chance to throw the challenge flag was always a charming part of gameday.

@PFWAwriters: Former Arizona DC Todd Bowles, who led Cards defense to success despite injuries to key members, is 2014 NFL Assistant Coach of the Year.

Nice.

Personally, and I've said this a few times now, I thought he put forth the best overall coaching effort of the year in the NFL. 

@mikejurecki: Todd Bowles unit finished 5th in points allowed per game (18.7),

T2 in first downs allowed per game (18.8) & 3rd in red zone 43.9%.

Plus you have to remember that the last half of the season this defense was constantly put behind the 8 ball.  The Cardinals offense sucked after losing Carson Palmer for the season.  It got way worse when Stanton went down and they were forced to start Ryan Lindley at QB.  Yes the same Ryan Lindley that until recently held the record for most pass attempts in the NFL without throwing a TD pass.

So assuming the Cards had a decent QB under center those numbers would have been even better.  Really once Lindley took over it was pretty much 3 and out on offense.  So it was only a matter of time before the defesne wore down and their numbers got skewed.

Best series ever

Hell yeah!

He was actually a Major.....I saw someone else made the same observation in this thread, I just didn't get that far into reading it before making that post.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bowles looking professional!  Like it.

He is actually a pretty quiet even keel type of guy.  Although you don't want to see him mad.  I remember when the Cardinals Defense played a terrible first half against the Redskins this year.  Bowles locker room reaction was classic.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/The-Harder-Side-Of-Todd-Bowles/6ebf5b96-82c6-422e-98f3-2e44eb4eed95

Todd Bowles stood there, back to his usual quiet self, explaining why he erupted with such emotion at halftime of last Sunday’s win against Washington – a move that was generally out of character for the defensive coordinator, all his players said.

“You coach football and give your team what they need,” Bowles said. “This isn’t gardening. Sometimes, coaches have to get loud.”

The Cardinals’ defense responded, of course, forcing four second-half turnovers and giving up only a late touchdown against the Redskins. The outburst, cornerback Jerraud Powersicon-article-link.gif said, only lasted a couple of minutes.

“B.A. and the offensive guys – you know how offensive people are, they’re all divas, so they just stick to their little, Yeah we've got to do this,  got to do that,’ ” Powers deadpanned. “You go in the defensive room and there’s boards being broken, stuff being thrown around a little bit. We went in there and didn’t even go over not one play. We all thought it was us. It wasn’t Washington. It was just the way we were playing – lackadaisical, just flat. The little speech we had by Bowles, it woke us up a little bit.”

Defensive tackle Tommy Kellyicon-article-link.gif said a whiteboard in the defensive room at University of Phoenix Stadium died “a noble death” during Bowles halftime talk

Love the part about players totally messing up and hearing ZILCH from Rex.

Simms/LT used to say when they messed up they would go off field at 10 yd line to avoid Tuna yelling at them on National TV, LOL

I'd be shocked if you watched more the 2 Arozona games you goon

I have Sunday ticket, and had Michael Floyd and their D in fantasy football.

Do I get to choose what type of shock? Let's go with a fork in the light socket, while standing in a kiddie pool full of urine.

I have Sunday ticket, and had Michael Floyd and their D in fantasy football.

Do I get to choose what type of shock? Let's go with a fork in the light socket, while standing in a kiddie pool full of urine.

lynch all liars

lynch all liars

I live in New England, I have it for Jet games, but usually ended up watching my fantasy teams. Or the Seahawks, Colts and Packers because they are entertaining. Arians was the coach I wanted 3 years ago when we kept Rex. There's nothing here worth lying about, hiney face.

I live in New England, I have it for Jet games, but usually ended up watching my fantasy teams. Or the Seahawks, Colts and Packers because they are entertaining. Arians was the coach I wanted 3 years ago when we kept Rex. There's nothing here worth lying about, hiney face.

No wonder your Avitar Location says "wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time"

These past 14 years have been the worst times to be a Jets fan living in NE. My condolences.

Poking a few Bowles ... er, holes in Todd Bowles' defense

January, 16, 2015

Jan 16

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48667/poking-a-few-bowles-er-holes-in-todds-defense

The New York Jets hired a highly regarded defensive coach in Todd Bowles, whose impressive work as the Arizona Cardinals' coordinator has been well-documented in recent days.

But he wasn't perfect.

No coach is, of course, but we did some number-crunching and a found a few noteworthy negatives. For instance: •While Bowles gets credit for a No. 5 ranking in scoring defense, it doesn't seem to get mentioned that his unit finished 24th in total defense and 26th in yards allowed per rush. Toward the end of the season, the Cards couldn't stop a nose bleed. In the final three games, including the wild-card loss to the Carolina Panthers, they allowed 267, 206 and 188 yards on the ground.

•The numbers against the run are a bit troubling, considering Bowles played a "loaded" box on 327 snaps, the second-highest total in the league. A loaded box is defined as a play in which there are more defenders in the box than blockers.

•Some coaches believe the most accurate gauge of a defense is yards per play. The Cards didn't fare well in that category, allowing 5.83 yards per play -- a ranking of 26th.

•Bowles has a reputation for blitzing. In fact, the Cards ranked second in the number of blitzes, according to ESPN Stats & Information. If you want to break it down further, they led the league in defensive-back blitzes -- 123 snaps. But here's the thing: They weren't terribly efficient from a yardage standpoint. In fact, they yielded 7.35 yards per play on blitzes, 30th in the league.

•They were a middle-of-the-pack defense in takeaways -- a total of 28, tied for 14th.

No wonder your Avitar Location says "wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time"

These past 14 years have been the worst times to be a Jets fan living in NE. My condolences.

It's also a John McClane quote from Die Hard. I use that handle on other sites.

Archived