Jets are hiring Bowles - RapSheet source [NECRO]

Integrity28

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI, this is in play also...

One thing to keep in mind w/Dan Quinn- his former agent, Mike Tannenbaum, is running Miami. Some teams worried if they wait for Quinn he...

Could end up replacing Joe Philbin next month, regardless of what the Dolphins are saying. Jets had that concern, at least to some degree

Will be interesting to see if Atlanta waits for Dan Quinn - they and the 49ers were impressed by him. Is he out there for Denver in the end?

Yep.  No guarantee at all we would have gotten him.  The strong chance of getting left with our collective d*cks in our hands was not a favorable option.

Blah.  Its like we fired Rex for a tamed version of Rex.  A defensive coordinator/players coach with no knowledge of offense.  Really wish we would have gone with someone offensive minded.  But you just got to hope that Woody's consultants got it right.  A lot of people seem to be gushing over this...so hopefully its the right choice.  

Things I like he brings to the table: clearly has the ability to get the most of his D without crucial pieces, has the ability to win on D despite horrible QB play, seems like a guy players want to play for and has a ton of respect around the league

Things that make me nervous: lack of offensive knowledge, secondary under performed considering the talent (24 in yards against) and the Jets have no talent in the secondary, really hated the way his D came to play vs. Carolina in the playoffs as they looked flat and couldnt adjust in game at all, spent a lot of time in the league before getting a coordinator job.

We shall see.  Hopefully this works out...but its kind of a head scratcher for me.  It just seems like its the same direction with just a different leader. Chan Gailey does nothing for me besides being a Gator Alum.  And we're linked to Miami's DC and their defense was terrible (though I'd assume Bowles will be running the D).  

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think.  

Good article on Bowles, it sure seems like Ryan could have learned something from him:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/23/arizona-cardinals-defense-todd-bowles/

As you watch football week to week, you see new things crop up and wonder if they are trends or simply the result of teams playing the game with different lineup combinations. Necessity was the mother of invention in Arizona this year, with defensive coordinator Todd Bowles drawing up a new style of play because he had no other choice. The different usage of his marauding safeties has played a big role in the Cardinals’ 3-0 start.

It especially was evident Sunday, in the 23-14 victory over the 49ers.

The best coaches find ways to win when they’re at a personnel disadvantage. That’s what Bowles has done in the first three weeks of the season, when he’s been forced to find solutions with a different cast than he fielded last year as a first-year Cardinal defensive play-caller. Both three-down linebackers were lost—Daryl Washington to a season-long drug suspension and Karlos Dansby in free agency to Cleveland. This summer, two more defensive playmakers disappeared—tackle and team leader Darnell Dockett to an ACL tear and pass rusher John Abraham to IR with a concussion.

MORE FROM PETER KING: Week 3 Mailbag

So Bowles decided, particularly in nickel situations, to play safeties near the line, and to play safeties pretty much everywhere. It’s not unusual to see four safeties on the field for the Cardinals, and they have four good ones: starters Tony Jefferson and Tyrann Mathieu, and quasi-starters Deone Bucannon and Rashad Johnson. That’s how they’re listed on the depth chart, but on Sunday, Johnson was the starter at free safety and played all 64 snaps, and Bucannon, the rookie first-round pick, played a hybrid role that had him playing linebacker much of the game. Jefferson, a strong safety, also plays down in the box and had 52 snaps. Mathieu is still recovering from major knee surgery nine months ago and isn’t ready for a full role yet.

A Season Slipping Away
After two ugly second-half collapses in the past two weeks, Jim Harbaugh‘s 49ers suddenly look like a team that lacks discipline and focus. Greg Bedard asks: Can they turn it around? FULL STORY

Bowles isn’t the only defensive coach finding different uses for safeties, because of the advanced use of athletic tight ends and three- and four-receiver sets, but so far this year he’s the most effective. On Sunday, he tormented Colin Kaepernick with Jefferson and Bucannon playing down at inside linebacker several times. Bucannon was impressive because he didn’t get caught in the wave of misdirection that San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman was throwing at the Cardinals. Usually, a veteran play-caller can get a rookie to bite on misdirection, but Bucannon is a mature player who stayed home on several snaps flowing left and made plays.

“We were losing a lot of players in the off-season,” Bowles said Monday from Arizona, “and losing a lot of pass rushers. So when we get to third down, most of our better athletes are now defensive backs who can play some nickel linebacker down in the box. With all the DBs on the field, I guess it’s hard [for a quarterback] to point out who the Mike linebacker is—so that leaves the offense in a little bit of confusion. You’ve got four safeties who can come back or come up, so you kind of play with that a little bit to offset some of your lack of pass rush.” 

In the first half against the Niners, Kaepernick often went no-huddle, and that prevented the Cardinals from adjusting on the fly to moving the safeties down in the box and adding them depending on the situation. In the second half, the Niners slowed down, and that helped Arizona make changes more often. “Last year,” said Bowles, “we had two three-down linebackers in Karlos and Daryl, so it was easy to leave them on the field, because they can do more things than the ones we have this year. So in order for us to be a little bit faster, we have safeties that can tackle and play in the box and they can get to the quarterback a little faster, as well as messing up the blocking scheme. So that helps out a lot … We don’t have the impact players that you always had, but from a chemistry standpoint, the way the players get along and communicate makes it kind of easy to play.”

bowles.jpg?w=360&h=441Todd Bowles (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Bowles, a former NFL defensive back, is in his 14th years as an NFL assistant. He played for Joe Gibbs in Washington and coached under Bill Parcells in Dallas. I asked him what he learned under two of the best coaches, and mentors, in recent years.

“Coach Gibbs was very meticulous,” said Bowles. “He was an outstanding X’s and O’s guy. And under coach Gibbs I had Richie Petitbon as coordinator, and he was one of the best X’s and O’s guys that I’ve ever been around. He taught me how to watch film and how to see the football game and really become kind of a coach on the field and see what’s going to happen to you and how to diagnose things.

“Coach Parcells taught me from a coaching standpoint how to look at the game, how to treat coaches, what to look for every day—he taught me the entire game overall. I think he doesn’t get enough credit for how great he was at seeing the entire game, offensively and defensively. He knew how to push players’ buttons. He knew what they could and couldn’t do. He had an idea from the first guy on the roster to the last guy on the roster about how he would play them if they had to play. I learned a great deal from him about using all my pieces.’’

He’s using them all in Arizona now. And it would be a surprise if Bowles doesn’t get a chance to use them as an NFL head coach. Soon.

Blah.  Its like we fired Rex for a tamed version of Rex.  A defensive coordinator/players coach with no knowledge of offense.  Really wish we would have gone with someone offensive minded.  But you just got to hope that Woody's consultants got it right.  A lot of people seem to be gushing over this...so hopefully its the right choice.  

Things I like he brings to the table: clearly has the ability to get the most of his D without crucial pieces, has the ability to win on D despite horrible QB play, seems like a guy players want to play for and has a ton of respect around the league

Things that make me nervous: lack of offensive knowledge, secondary under performed considering the talent (24 in yards against) and the Jets have no talent in the secondary, really hated the way his D came to play vs. Carolina in the playoffs as they looked flat and couldnt adjust in game at all, spent a lot of time in the league before getting a coordinator job.

We shall see.  Hopefully this works out...but its kind of a head scratcher for me.  It just seems like its the same direction with just a different leader. Chan Gailey does nothing for me besides being a Gator Alum.  And we're linked to Miami's DC and their defense was terrible (though I'd assume Bowles will be running the D).  

It's become very clear that CEO-like qualities trump knowledge of one side of the ball when it comes to HC.  We've discussed this ad nauseum regarding former ST Coordinator John Harbaugh.  None of us know if Bowles can handle the duties of HC yet, but the reports on him have been positive in that light.  The big difference this time around is that knowlegable, experienced football people gave him his stamp of approval. 

Our last 3 hires all had some significant flaws in terms of the hiring process and our blinders towards red flags.  Herm was hired as a favor to the league.  Mangini was hired because we wanted to copy New England.  Rex was hired despite concerns over the fact that the Ravens passed him over for their HC job.  At least in this case Woody seemed to handle things the right way. 

Looking deeper into Bowles' resume.  When Sparano got fired by the Dolphins in 2011 after starting 4-9, Bowles took over as Interim HC (his only experience as a HC at any level).  He got the team to finish the season 2-1.  Beat Buffalo on the road 30-23, lost a close game @ New England 27-24, then beat the Jets 19-17 in the famous Holmes tantrum game.  Sanchez was picked 3 times.

Bowles was hired as Philly's DC the next season.  That was the one stop on his career path where he didn't have success.

It's become very clear that CEO-like qualities trump knowledge of one side of the ball when it comes to HC.  We've discussed this ad nauseum regarding former ST Coordinator John Harbaugh.  None of us know if Bowles can handle the duties of HC yet, but the reports on him have been positive in that light.  The big difference this time around is that knowlegable, experienced football people gave him his stamp of approval. 

Our last 3 hires all had some significant flaws in terms of the hiring process and our blinders towards red flags.  Herm was hired as a favor to the league.  Mangini was hired because we wanted to copy New England.  Rex was hired despite concerns over the fact that the Ravens passed him over for their HC job.  At least in this case Woody seemed to handle things the right way. 

Does Bowles have CEO-like qualities? I've rarely seen him in the spotlight to know how he presents. 

Does Bowles have CEO-like qualities? I've rarely seen him in the spotlight to know how he presents. 

Impossible to know for sure until we see him in action, but all reports suggest his players love him.  He's been described as pretty level-headed.  He learned under Parcells.  He was put in a tough spot as interim coach in '11 with the Dolphins and did well, albeit in a small sample size.  He has the stamp of approval from football people.  He did very well with an injury-ravaged Cardinals D last year.  That part may not always translate to HC, but you have to admit he had far less talent last year than Rex ever had in Baltimore before he came here.

And his first decision, hiring Chan Gailey, seems a smart one.  He hired a guy with a ton of experience, both as OC and more importantly as HC, to be his top advisor.  That speaks some volumes already.  It shows he recognizes he needs to learn how to be a HC.  It's not ideal to have to hire a guy who learns on the job, but we can hope he's a quick learner and doesn't require years and years to grow into the role.

Again, we have little to go on with first-time HC's.  But the available FORMER HC's out there was under-whelming.  Kubiak seems like a Peter Principle guy.  People don't seem to love Marrone in football circles.  I liked Fox as a "Get the ship righted quickly guy", but no chance he would have come here. 

So far I see no reasons to be be unhappy with the hire.  If we got this wrong it wasn't just a "Woody sucks" moment.  He listened to the advice of smart football people around him, which is a HUGE step in the right direction for this franchise.

I said already...

Yes, and a coach with a history building a dominant defense no matter who is in the lineup , versus a coach that inherited one in Baltimore. Not to mention a coach capable of building his own staff and with personnel work on his resume.

It's like they found a guy that could do what Rex does , maybe better, and can do the head coachey stuff Rex couldn't. They hired for skillset versus personality type.

Blah. Its like we fired Rex for a tamed version of Rex. A defensive coordinator/players coach with no knowledge of offense. Really wish we would have gone with someone offensive minded. But you just got to hope that Woody's consultants got it right. A lot of people seem to be gushing over this...so hopefully its the right choice.

We shall see. Hopefully this works out...but its kind of a head scratcher for me. It just seems like its the same direction with just a different leader. Chan Gailey does nothing for me besides being a Gator Alum. And we're linked to Miami's DC and their defense was terrible (though I'd assume Bowles will be running the D).

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think.

Tamed? I'd say it sounds like more organized, professional, less about Rex, more about the whole team, disciplined, hold players accountable.

Refreshing.

@SiriusXMNFL: "He commanded the room and the guys respected him" @JasonBabin93 of the @jets on Coach Todd Bowles and there time in Philly

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24961096/jets-hire-todd-bowles-as-head-coach-5-things-to-know

Five things to know (CBS Sportsline)

After hiring former Houston Texans Director of College Scouting Mike Maccagnan as the team's new general manager earlier on Tuesday, the New York Jets are set to name Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles as their next head coach.

Bowles takes over for the departed Rex Ryan, who had been the team's head coach since 2009 and recently agreed to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Bowles, of course, will now have to face off with Ryan (and Bill Belichick and Joe Philbin) twice a year.

1. Continuing a trend

Bowles makes the sixth straight defensive coach hired by the Jets. Since New York fired Rich Kotite after he went 4-28 across the 1995 and 1996 seasons, the Jets have hired a defensive coach every time they've had an opening: Bill Parcells, Al Groh (after they first tried to go with Bill Belichick), Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and now Bowles.

2. Bowles' background

Bowles spent eight years in the NFL as a safety, playing for the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers from 1986 to 1993. He worked as a defensive backs coach for numerous teams after retiring from the NFL, including the Jets themselves back in 2000, Woody Johnson's first season as the owner.

Bowles served as the interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins 2011, winning two of the season's final three games after Tony Sparano was fired. He then moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles, where he coached defensive backs for half a season before being promoted to defensive coordinator after Juan Castillo was let go.

When Chip Kelly came in and brought a new staff with him to Philly, Bowles moved on to Arizona, where he spent the last two seasons coordinating one of the NFL's best defenses. The Cardinals ranked second and seventh in defensive DVOA in two years under Bowles.

He showed a knack for getting the most out of scrap heap talent, coaxing excellent seasons out of under-the-radar free agent signings in both of his seasons with Arizona. Players like Tommy KellyLarry FooteAntonio Cromartie and Karlos Dansby have recognizable names, but they weren't coveted in free agency before winding up with the Cardinals. Bowles put them all in a position to succeed and they responded accordingly.

3. Innovative schemes

Bowles is also well-known for being very creative in how he schemes his defenses. The Cardinals sent pressure more than almost any team in the league this year, with Bowles trying to manufacture a pass rush out of spare parts as front seven players kept sustaining injuries.

Coaching ad hoc to his personnel, Bowles unveiled defensive formations with as many as four safeties on the field at a time this season, working to get Tyrann MathieuRashad JohnsonTony Jefferson and Deone Bucannon out there all at the same time.

For most of the season, the Cardinals were able to withstand the losses of players like Darnell Dockett, John Abraham and Daryl Washington, but they did begin to backslide toward the end of the year.

4. Speaking of personnel

Bowles will have some pretty good personnel to get creative with in New York, at least along the defensive line. Muhammad WilkersonDamon Harrison and Sheldon Richardsonare each among the best in the league at their positions. Wilkerson and Richardson ranked as Pro Football Focus' second- and third-best 3-4 defensive ends in 2014, behind only J.J. Watt, who may or may not be a human person. Harrison rated as the third-best run-stopping defensive tackle in football by the same metrics.

Calvin Pryor, the team's first round pick in 2014, should be someone who is helped a lot by Bowles' hire, and the same is true of restricted free agent Jaiquawn Jarrett and unrestricted free agent Dawan Landry if they return. Bowles could come up with all kinds of creative ways to deploy those three safeties if they are all on hand. 

They'll need to get much better at cornerback, though, if they want to show any sort of defensive improvement next season. Despite a strong pass rush and some solid play from safeties, the Jets still ranked as one of the worst pass defenses in the league (21st in yards per attempt allowed, 30th in quarterback rating allowed and 24th in pass defense DVOA) in 2014 due in large part to comically bad performance from their corners. They should get Dee Milliner back from injury next season, but the rest of the group needs a massive upgrade.

5. And what of the offense?

Maybe the most important question for Bowles -- and Maccagnan -- to answer is who their starting quarterback will be. The two are inheriting former second-round pick Geno Smith, but it's possible they want to bring in their own guy. The Jets do have the sixth pick in the NFL Draft this year, right in the range where you can usually expect the second or third quarterback to come off the board. This year, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston are considered the top signal-callers in the draft.

Factoring into that decision will likely be whoever Bowles and Maccagnan decide to hire as the offensive coordinator. The Jets have been a power running team for a while now, and it will be interesting to see if they go away from that under the Bowles regime.

Impossible to know for sure until we see him in action, but all reports suggest his players love him.  He's been described as pretty level-headed.  He learned under Parcells.  He was put in a tough spot as interim coach in '11 with the Dolphins and did well, albeit in a small sample size.  He has the stamp of approval from football people.  He did very well with an injury-ravaged Cardinals D last year.  That part may not always translate to HC, but you have to admit he had far less talent last year than Rex ever had in Baltimore before he came here.

And his first decision, hiring Chan Gailey, seems a smart one.  He hired a guy with a ton of experience, both as OC and more importantly as HC, to be his top advisor.  That speaks some volumes already.  It shows he recognizes he needs to learn how to be a HC.  It's not ideal to have to hire a guy who learns on the job, but we can hope he's a quick learner and doesn't require years and years to grow into the role.

Again, we have little to go on with first-time HC's.  But the available FORMER HC's out there was under-whelming.  Kubiak seems like a Peter Principle guy.  People don't seem to love Marrone in football circles.  I liked Fox as a "Get the ship righted quickly guy", but no chance he would have come here. 

So far I see no reasons to be be unhappy with the hire.  If we got this wrong it wasn't just a "Woody sucks" moment.  He listened to the advice of smart football people around him, which is a HUGE step in the right direction for this franchise.

Fair enough.  I'm not upset, it just seems redundant and the same route they take every time they hire a new coach under Woody.  The hot available DC.  It would have been nice to try something new for once (OC, College, prior HC'ing experience, etc)...but whatever, there is no silver bullet when it comes to hiring a Head Coach.  They come from all sorts of different background and you just have to pray they know how to put it all together.  

I like Casserly and trust him...so, like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm not jumping for joy by any means.

And Chan Gailey does nothing for me. He's a fossil who's passing game has sucked this century.   

I said already...

I dont read your posts.

Fair enough.  I'm not upset, it just seems redundant and the same route they take every time they hire a new coach under Woody.  The hot available DC.  It would have been nice to try something new for once (OC, College, prior HC'ing experience, etc)...but whatever, there is no silver bullet when it comes to hiring a Head Coach.  They come from all sorts of different background and you just have to pray they know how to put it all together.  

I like Casserly and trust him...so, like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm not jumping for joy by any means.

And Chan Gailey does nothing for me. He's a fossil who's passing game has sucked this century.   

He's a defense-minded, first-time HC.  But that's where the similarities end this time around.  He cleaned house with both GM and HC gone.  He didn't have Korn Ferry telling him which GM to hire.  He installed the GM before the HC.  He hired the HC based on collective input from his football people.  The end results seem the same on the surface but the process and approach was totally different.  It just happened to be the case that when the coaching marketplace shook out, Quinn and Bowles were the top 2 on our list, in some order.  Would Woody have preferred to hire a strong offense-minded guy with HC-ing experience?  Sure, but I think there were none to be had.  So we had to go the opposite direction.

As for Gailey, he did pretty well with awful personnel in Buffalo.  I'm not sure what direction we could/should have gone in but again, I really like the idea of a young HC paired with a veteran top assistant.  It may be the case where Gailey is only here a couple years.

He's a defense-minded, first-time HC. But that's where the similarities end this time around. He cleaned house with both GM and HC gone. He didn't have Korn Ferry telling him which GM to hire. He installed the GM before the HC. He hired the HC based on collective input from his football people. The end results seem the same on the surface but the process and approach was totally different. It just happened to be the case that when the coaching marketplace shook out, Quinn and Bowles were the top 2 on our list, in some order. Would Woody have preferred to hire a strong offense-minded guy with HC-ing experience? Sure, but I think there were none to be had. So we had to go the opposite direction.

As for Gailey, he did pretty well with awful personnel in Buffalo. I'm not sure what direction we could/should have gone in but again, I really like the idea of a young HC paired with a veteran top assistant. It may be the case where Gailey is only here a couple years.

I guess I don't see how the process matters if the results were the same. All good. Is what it is. Hope we got it right.

I guess I don't see how the process matters if the results were the same. All good. Is what it is. Hope we got it right.

The results of the last 3 hires were coaches who ended up with losing records.

The results of Todd Bowles are yet to be determined.  The process matters because we hopefully just hired a winner.

You are putting entirely too much stock into the fact that he's a former DC and first-time HC.  Success as a HC is not defined by which side of the ball you come from, nor is he a guarantee to fail based on lack of experience as a HC. 

I wonder if Sporano would join Bowles staff, given their connection, and that Oakland chose Del Rio. Sporano would be a good position coach / assistant HC option. Get some experience at Bowles side.

Wasn't that the opposite when Bowles was with the Fins?? Shades won the East in 2008 that was a nice experience.. :winking0001:

Archived