Jets are hiring Bowles - RapSheet source [NECRO]

Integrity28

We were all generally in favor of the Bowles hire. Me included. I especially liked the prospects of Gailey coaching up Geno (doh!), and a few weeks later made a thread about how Bowles was going to be a "balanced" head coach not a defense only guy and I was excited about that.

Reality:

1. Geno sucked and couldn't be coached up by anyone

2. Gailey sort of sucked and then bailed. Jump ball to our two big receivers did work for a few games

3. Bowles was never really "balanced" and got less balanced as the roster became more and more his vision

4. Bowles was an awful hire and complete failure

But man, it did seem like we had just hired the best of all candidates, with Parcells blessing and everything.

I think I am smarter now in terms of what a head coach should be. I was just so glad Rex was gone.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We were all generally in favor of the Bowles hire. Me included. I especially liked the prospects of Gailey coaching up Geno (doh!), and a few weeks later made a thread about how Bowles was going to be a "balanced" head coach not a defense only guy and I was excited about that.

Reality:

1. Geno sucked and couldn't be coached up by anyone

2. Gailey sort of sucked and then bailed. Jump ball to our two big receivers did work for a few games

3. Bowles was never really "balanced" and got less balanced as the roster became more and more his vision

4. Bowles was an awful hire and complete failure

But man, it did seem like we had just hired the best of all candidates, with Parcells blessing and everything.

I think I am smarter now in terms of what a head coach should be. I was just so glad Rex was gone.

He was the anti Rex. I think we all sort of loved that after his shtick got old. Unfortunately, being the anti Rex his defense actually sucked too and we overlooked it, but the stats from the 2014 Cardinals speak for themselves. How were we that stupid. 

If this proves anything, it’s that no one really knows. 

What I hope to one day see is a thread that shows we hired (coach to be named) and everyone posting Steve carrell NOOOOO memes and cursing with asterisks. Then someone resurrects it after he and Sam lead us to a super bowl title.

The funny thing was I got blocked on twitter by Woody Johnson for tweeting at him what a stupid move it was to hire another defensive coordinator. Like that is all you do get original and go for an offensive guy for once in your life. The joke was on him it gave me satisfaction to know he at least read it.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You were spot on about Bowles being balanced. He equally sucked at offense and defense. 

On 1/13/2015 at 11:53 PM, T0mShane said:

What I like about Bowles is that he's supposed to have a good eye for talent, which means he's not going to waste much time trying milk a coconut like Kyle Wilson when it's apparent that Kyle Wilson sucks. For the first time in, oh, six years, the best players are going to get on the field and not just the ones that the coach likes on a personal level.

On the negative (leery) side, every time I see the word's "player's coach," I wretch. 

Fight me, @JiF

Just now, varjet said:

SI gave the hiring of Bowles an A.  

4/5 are now fired, including Bowles.  Only Quinn remains.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/11/nfl-coaching-hires-2015-analysis-grades

This is why every move this offseason will be praised for all teams but no one really knows anything until a few years down the road. Everything is blind optimism and praise now. 

I think my favorite thing about this thread(which I just read for the first time) is remembering Jay Glazer was like THE NFL scoop king not that long ago.

I ultimately had to unfollow him because he did nothing but talk about MMA, but I never see him mentioned.

On 1/13/2015 at 10:41 PM, New York Mick said:

After 40 years of the same sh*t over and over again you kind of expect it. In 3 or 4 years they'll still suck and they'll start over again. New QB new GM new Coach etc and then 3 or 4 years they'll do it again and so on and so forth.

Sounds about right

On 1/13/2015 at 11:53 PM, T0mShane said:

What I like about Bowles is that he's supposed to have a good eye for talent, which means he's not going to waste much time trying milk a coconut like Kyle Wilson when it's apparent that Kyle Wilson sucks. For the first time in, oh, six years, the best players are going to get on the field and not just the ones that the coach likes on a personal level.

On the negative (leery) side, every time I see the word's "player's coach," I wretch. 

Wild to look back to when I was a young, optimistic poster on January 13th, 2015. The salad days of yon.

31 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

This thread just goes to show that posters on here who actually think they know what they are talking about don't know sh*t. 

LMAO!!!!!  All then ball licking for the hire on pages 1 to 3 would make a French whore blush.  

Bowles looked like Kotite.   

On 1/13/2015 at 10:26 PM, Integrity28 said:

And there it is: RT @JosinaAnderson: I just got a text from Todd Bowles, "Im taking the Jets job."

I haven't been this happy about a coach we've hired, since Parcells.

Bowles might have put forth the best individual effort by any coach, at any level, in 2014. I also read somewhere earlier that he was drafted by Casserly and worked as a personnel guy for Wolf, so his resume has more than just coaching on it - and he's got ties to both of our consultants.

?? 

On 1/17/2015 at 11:04 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Poking a few Bowles ... er, holes in Todd Bowles' defense

January, 16, 2015

Jan 16

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48667/poking-a-few-bowles-er-holes-in-todds-defense

The New York Jets hired a highly regarded defensive coach in Todd Bowles, whose impressive work as the Arizona Cardinals' coordinator has been well-documented in recent days.

But he wasn't perfect.

No coach is, of course, but we did some number-crunching and a found a few noteworthy negatives. For instance: •While Bowles gets credit for a No. 5 ranking in scoring defense, it doesn't seem to get mentioned that his unit finished 24th in total defense and 26th in yards allowed per rush. Toward the end of the season, the Cards couldn't stop a nose bleed. In the final three games, including the wild-card loss to the Carolina Panthers, they allowed 267, 206 and 188 yards on the ground.

•The numbers against the run are a bit troubling, considering Bowles played a "loaded" box on 327 snaps, the second-highest total in the league. A loaded box is defined as a play in which there are more defenders in the box than blockers.

•Some coaches believe the most accurate gauge of a defense is yards per play. The Cards didn't fare well in that category, allowing 5.83 yards per play -- a ranking of 26th.

•Bowles has a reputation for blitzing. In fact, the Cards ranked second in the number of blitzes, according to ESPN Stats & Information. If you want to break it down further, they led the league in defensive-back blitzes -- 123 snaps. But here's the thing: They weren't terribly efficient from a yardage standpoint. In fact, they yielded 7.35 yards per play on blitzes, 30th in the league.

•They were a middle-of-the-pack defense in takeaways -- a total of 28, tied for 14th.

What a prophetic take by Cimini. Wow. Pretty much what we all witnessed the last 4 years except for the scoring ranking. Garbage defense and garbage coach. We whiffed big time!

What a prophetic take by Cimini. Wow. Pretty much what we all witnessed the last 4 years except for the scoring ranking. Garbage defense and garbage coach. We whiffed big time!
Crazy stuff and reading some of this thread is golden.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Love being right on the interwebz!!! Not that I’m ever wrong but it’s still fun!!!

Your questions and concerns were spot on.  Well done.  Integrity also asked the right questions.  

They'd have to dig through the JI archives for a lot of the rest of us.  Good luck with that. 

43 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Should have listened to Westy.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

At the time I thought Westy was just bitter for not being hired as HC, and I was ticked at Cimini for "nitpicking" stats. And both were right. People say Bowles will get hired as a DC but reality is that his defensive philosophy is just fundamentally poor.

Archived