If this was Dan Quinn's Defense

TomsRiverJet

Seattle doesnt make adjustments.  They literally just line up the exact same way every play.  Its bizarre.  They literally do nothing different at all throuhgout the course of a game except maybe blitz a LB'er or a S occasionally...otherwise its cover 2 or cover 3, all game long.

A lot of people here liked that philosophy.  Tired of defenses that are complex/confusing so make it easy and just go vanilla.

The correct defensive adjustments would have been to put Sherman on Edelman and Chancelor on Gronk. You can live with anything that happens outside of those players. Either Sherman is over rated horrible or Quinn sucks. Because if it were Rex & Revis, then Revis would have shadowed Edelman all game long.

People acting like that Kearse play was the only reason they'd get there aren't paying attention. Seattle was on the 38, with 2 timeouts and a 1:14 to go. They had just driven 42 yards in 38 seconds, and had plenty of time to get down there.

btw.. the big play = Belicheat had Collins #91 on Lynch for a 31 yard gain, how that's not an indictment of belicheat I don't know

Agreed. That was the other big play, when it happened, I turned to my wife and said, "oh, okay... Seattle should win now"

Seattle doesnt make adjustments.  They literally just line up the exact same way every play.  Its bizarre.  They literally do nothing different at all throuhgout the course of a game except maybe blitz a LB'er or a S occasionally...otherwise its cover 2 or cover 3, all game long.

Yeah, it is weird. It's going to be a trip watching Quinn try to get away with that with the abysmal talent on that ATL D.

This.  Sometimes you just have to give credit the other player as well.

Seriously, he's probably the single toughest matchup in the league. Pats went back to their roots otherwise, opportunistic and fundamentally sound defense with a short passing game that chipped away clock time and first downs.

I'm glad we went the way we did with Todd Bowles. I saw "jet like" mistakes with the glaring ones being a LB mismatch with Gronk especially on the TD Pass. No adjustments, even Collingsworth called them out on it.

Biggest Glaring Deer in the headlights was whoever was covering that worm, Edelman. How many times did u see him line up in the slot and the DB line up just like our buddy Kyle Wilson and give the cushion. The WR clears out his man, The worm is unchallenged turns towards the sideline, ducks the first tackle and gains 3 - 8 yards including a few for 1st down. It was toss and catch all night and a quick pickup. No answer for it. How many catches did the worm have last night, 15 ? Sad things were there didn't seem to be any adjustments. I know they lost a guy with the broken arm ( did u see the photo... ugh ). How about press coverage, in his face? If this is what we would have looked forward to 2x a year next season, no thanks... The more I hear about Todd the more I love the move we made.

To his credit, he lost a DB early in the game that would have most likely covered the TE position and he also lost Avril. I think Quinn coached that game well enough to win the SB. I also think that the Seahawks got a bit beside themselves by putting more on Wilson than necessary, meaning that they should have maintained his skill set weapons. Golden Tate and Percy Harvin were missed in this game terribly. If they were on this team 2nd and goal at the 1 yard line with 20 seconds left in the game wouldnt have even happened. Giving up one of those guys is understandable if it was for money reasons, but to let Tate walk in FA and then trade Harvin mid season plays a minor role in why they're not champions of the football world right now. 

To his credit, he lost a DB early in the game that would have most likely covered the TE position and he also lost Avril. I think Quinn coached that game well enough to win the SB. I also think that the Seahawks got a bit beside themselves by putting more on Wilson than necessary, meaning that they should have maintained his skill set weapons. Golden Tate and Percy Harvin were missed in this game terribly. If they were on this team 2nd and goal at the 1 yard line with 20 seconds left in the game wouldnt have even happened. Giving up one of those guys is understandable if it was for money reasons, but to let Tate walk in FA and then trade Harvin mid season plays a minor role in why they're not champions of the football world right now. 

No,  they are not champions cause Bevell is a freakin moron

I agree with this, especially after the first quarter when it became evident that Brady was throwing wobbly passes and couldn't make an accurate throw down the field. 

I would have put sherman on Edelman.  Make Brady go somewhere else. Edelman is twice the player that LaFell and Amendala are.  Especially in the YAC department.  And you cannot cover Gronk on the outside with an LB.  And finally, you have to have a free runner at Brady. Have to blitz some, and up the gut.  They kept trying to get at him from outside.  Where is he going?

No,  they are not champions cause Bevell is a freakin moron

Based on what happened yesterday, absolutely. Would that game have played out differently if Tate and/or Percy were in a Hawk uni? Yes. 

Im not trying to shade Bevell for his dumb ass play call. Im just saying in respect to 4 quarters, Percy and Tate would have made a difference. 

Based on what happened yesterday, absolutely. Would that game would have played out differently if Tate and/or Percy were in a Hawk uni? Yes. 

Im not trying to shade Bevell for his dumb ass play call. Im just saying in respect to 4 quarters, Percy and Tate would have made a difference. 

for sure, but they still had it in the bag, cept for stupidity, even if I had jerry rice, I do not make that call

Then Mumbles looks like herm Edwards with 3 TO's and 20 seconds

I'm glad we went the way we did with Todd Bowles. I saw "jet like" mistakes with the glaring ones being a LB mismatch with Gronk especially on the TD Pass. No adjustments, even Collingsworth called them out on it.

Biggest Glaring Deer in the headlights was whoever was covering that worm, Edelman. How many times did u see him line up in the slot and the DB line up just like our buddy Kyle Wilson and give the cushion. The WR clears out his man, The worm is unchallenged turns towards the sideline, ducks the first tackle and gains 3 - 8 yards including a few for 1st down. It was toss and catch all night and a quick pickup. No answer for it. How many catches did the worm have last night, 15 ? Sad things were there didn't seem to be any adjustments. I know they lost a guy with the broken arm ( did u see the photo... ugh ). How about press coverage, in his face? 

If this is what we would have looked forward to 2x a year next season, no thanks... The more I hear about Todd the more I love the move we made.

It would have been worse if we waited for Bevel

for sure, but they still had it in the bag, cept for stupidity, even if I had jerry rice, I do not make that call

Then Mumbles looks like herm Edwards with 3 TO's and 20 seconds

aside from the last 20 seconds of the game, If they have Tate and Percy, they probably wouldnt have been in that situation because they would have broke the game open. The hawks letting those guys walk was huge. 

Its self evident how huge the call was at the end, I'm just referring to the other 59 mins and 40 seconds of the game. 

Quinn better change that when he gets to ATL.

In the 4th quarter alone against the Legion of Boom defense, supposedly the best defense since the '85 Bears, Brady overcame a 10 point deficet by going 13/15, 128 yards and 2 TD's.

Granted this is a different era and you can't so much as sneeze or the QB or the WR without getting penalized, the whole idea of Seattle being one of the best defenses of all time was always a joke to me. The great defenses of all time all have Hall of Fame Caliber Line man and LBs to go along with great secondary players.  I like Wagner but he is not Derrick Brooks or Ray Lewis.  There was no Warren Sapp or Richard Dent on the DLine either. 

Granted this is a different era and you can't so much as sneeze or the QB or the WR without getting penalized, the whole idea of Seattle being one of the best defenses of all time was always a joke to me. The great defenses of all time all have Hall of Fame Caliber Line man and LBs to go along with great secondary players.  I like Wagner but he is not Derrick Brooks or Ray Lewis.  There was no Warren Sapp or Richard Dent on the DLine either. 

I totally agree with you.

The Seahawks defense is loaded very athletic, fast players.  That alone covers up alot of defeciancies.

From a scheme perspective, the defense is quite vanilla in nature.

Good/great QB's will always exploit mismatches and move the ball. 

Just like Brady did last night.

The Seahawks defense is loaded very athletic, fast players.  That alone covers up alot of defeciancies.

They sure didn't look very fast last night.

Rules are such that any good offense will beat a good defense when the opposing offense goes 3 and out every drive.

The comeback had more to do with Seattle going; 4 and out, 3 and out and then 3 and out again during this critical juncture then anything that happened with Brady on the field.

Let's be clear...they lost because they went away from what was working for the whole game. Beast Mode was the way to go on the last play, they went away from that and lost. A better alternative play would have been a fake handoff to Beast Mode and then a soft floater to a leaking TE. TD and Belicheat wallows in misery. Terrible call by Bevell...just bad. 

LL

Lambert  Ham  Greene  Greenwood  White  Holmes  Blount  Shell

Lambert  Ham  Greene  Greenwood  White  Holmes  Blount  Shell

The team was unbelievable.  In todays' salary cap era it is next to impossible to assemble and keep that much talent together for any real length of time.  

They also stopped getting pressure on him in the 4th. He had way too much time to sit in the pocket. 

Yeah, it is weird. It's going to be a trip watching Quinn try to get away with that with the abysmal talent on that ATL D.

This is the key point....

Quinn's approach only works if you have superior talent get an injury as happened in the SB and you are real trouble.

When Bowles lost 4 top players the defense did suffer but he was masterful in maxing out the talent and approach that remained.  Hence his assistant of the year award...

So it is official.  You ****s would not be happy with a historically great defense.

But the question is what made it historically great? The players/talent or the scheme?

From what was observed, it can easily be said that the talent made it a great defense, especially given the fact that we saw Rex's defenses hold Brady down much better this year than in that game

But the question is what made it historically great? The players/talent or the scheme?

From what was observed, it can easily be said that the talent made it a great defense, especially given the fact that we saw Rex's defenses hold Brady down much better this year than in that game

I agree with this.

Even though Wrecks was a complete bozo as a HC, his defenses did confuse Brady and the Pats offense.

Seahawks defense was much more athletic, however, easy for Brady to read and exploit mismatches.

Perfect example was the onetime that Seattle had one-on-one coverage with a LB on Gronk, it went for an easy touchdown.

I agree with this.

Even though Wrecks was a complete bozo as a HC, his defenses did confuse Brady and the Pats offense.

Seahawks defense was much more athletic, however, easy for Brady to read and exploit mismatches.

Perfect example was the onetime that Seattle had one-on-one coverage with a LB on Gronk, it went for an easy touchdown.

Meh, When the QB doesn't have to throw over 5 yards you have to give the scheme/coaching a little credit too. But to be fair, his only two completions over 5 yards were the two biggest throws of the game... The TD to Gronk and the 3rd and 14 to Edelman. They were both right on the money too. Brady is deadly accurate in clutch moments. By far his greatest attribute imo. 

Archived