Revis back with the Jets- official

Matt39

Because what would make be happy is winning an effing championship. Anything less is not satisfactory.

And when you have a salary cap for all teams, where you can only spend a finite amount of moneytha  when a team ends up overpaying for retaining or signing players you will never get the most talent on the field. Some other team who does a better job of getting bang for the buck will. And the chances of winning are exponentially multiplied when a team has the most talent.

The smart money here is New England. No matter how much they cheat, they are smart most times at what they do. They took a 1 year flier at 12 mill on Revis. Limited risk/good reward situation. Even  they did not give Revis the deal the JETS gave him.

The beat writers are happy.  But they can turn at the drop of a hat.

Now if you something about assembling the best assets within a finite set of resources you know the JETS overpaid Revis. He does not deserve the contract he got just because he is not the Revis of 2009. He was a very good corner last year but he was not the shutdown beast of 2009. There were chinks in his armour. His play was not worth the contract given to him today. And as he gets older not sure if he can even maintain the level of play he had last season.

By definition when you sign a FA you were offering more than anyone else. Argument could be made that you always overpay for FA.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ? I dunno the details of Maxwell's contract. But say some other team made a not so optimal decision, that does not mean it should be used as a yardstick to feel better.

Revis is getting paid 13 million this year and next year.

Maxwell is near 11 million.

That would be a very thin argument.

So is claiming we are overpaying for Revis here without a single comparator to back it up. You should read some of Jason's work on overthecap.com -- the numbers they offer FA is not just picking a number out of thin air. It is all based on comps and is very much a science. Gave me a newfound appreciation to how this is done.

Marshall, Revis, Carpenter, Harris... acquiring and retaining players views as legit league-wide. Making the case for something real happening here in NY for other free agents. 

**** Bobby Kraft if he thinks he's going to get us on tampering.

I expect Cromartie signing was contingent on Revis signing.

What a secondary rebuild. Holy sh*t. I'm so ******* happy.

I guess you are off Idzik bandwagon.    

So is claiming we are overpaying for Revis here without a single comparator to back it up. You should read some of Jason's work on overthecap.com -- the numbers they offer FA is not just picking a number out of thin air. It is all based on comps and is very much a science. Gave me a newfound appreciation to how this is done.

You are all over the place just throwing out anything you can hoping something sticks So last post you were justifying overpaying and now you are implying it was a fair deal.

I think the anchor thing wasn't a confusing comment to anyone with a brain. Sorry you saw it as some sort of mysterious code.

Anyways, there's NO WAY he will be worth 15 million when he's 32. That cap number is extremely prohibitive. Its franchise QB money.

If we cut him we eat 6 million, as you said. That is HUGE. 6 million in dead money??? That's a quality free agent... Decker and Marshall only make about 7.5 million.

SO, either way in 2017 we are screwed. That's my issue with the contract. Completely legitimate analysis.

Have a nice day.

Such a drama queen.  Welcome to 2015.  Maybe that was franchise QB money in the past, but with the cap rising dramatically, that has and will continue to change.  The Revis deal does NOT handicap the Jets over the next 3 years at all.  

You are all over the place just throwing out anything you can hoping something sticks So last post you were justifying overpaying and now you are implying it was a fair deal.

Unsurprisingly, you are playing semantics rather than respond to substance. Trick only works against morons. Unfortunately, you aren't dealing with one. Nice try. Go cry more about overpaying. Bet you loved last year's roster.

Jason has a good article out on Revis deal. Will be interested to see him do a full breakdown later, which I hope he will do.

Revis Comes Back to the Jets

In a scene right out of professional wretling, Darrelle Revis and the Jets have mended fences after a two year split and Revis is “coming home” to wash out the taste of the last two years. According to Manish Mehta its a big deal with $48 million in the first three years and $70 million as the total contract value.

It’s a bit of an odd contract in that the last two years are actually designed to push the value of the contract down from an annual value perspetive, which is often not the case, at least not to this extent. It gives the Jets a sense of a “compromise” on the deal while also being some type of bagaining chip in future negotiations with younger players who would be productive at the back end.  Revis can also claim he took less than his worth to come back to the team he loved. At heart this is a 3 year deal for $16 million, the number Revis always craves. In many ways the deal is the contract that Revis wanted, at east on the front end, in 2010 when the relationship between the team and player began to go bad.

Speaking as a Jets fan I think this was a move the team had to make. This isn’t a football move. This is about recapturing a fanbase that was disgusted with the Jets the last two years, primarily in 2014. It is well known that Revis made an attempt to come back last season to the Jets but the Jets wouldnt really even take the call. When things got so bad at the end of the year owner Woody Johnson basically came out and said if he knew Revis would have played for $12 million last season he would have made the move for him. That is going to open the Jets up to tampering charges since Revis was under contract at the time, but coming off the darkest run since 95-96 he had little option.

Because the Jets spent no money the last two seasons and built up a giant salary cap surplus the move really has no negative repercussions financially. They have so much space that adding one player at $16M per year in cap dollars isn’t a major problem, especially with no viable QB on the roster that will be due an extension. By the time they find a QB Revis will either be off the team or making $11 million per year, a much more manageable number.

Revis played his hand perfectly last year, which was something I talked about when he signed with New England. The cornerback market was depressed and Revis came off a lame season in Tampa Bay that saw limited interest. He wisely took what he expected to be a one year contract (though he almost outsmarted himself by continuing to aim for the $16 million metric) to allow Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman reset the cornerback market. The minute you saw Byron Maxwell and Kareem Jackson getting huge money you knew Revis was going to score big if he got to free agency.

We’ll see where things go for the Jets, but their new front office is off to the kind of start that will keep them popular with fans and media of the team. Thats important to surviving the town and making it look like you are making every effort to get better fast. The team has made moves that are reminiscent of the Mike Tannenbaum run in 2008 and 2009 that completely remade the image of the team from the Herman Edwards/Chad Pennington group to the Rex Ryan/Revis group that nearly made the Super Bowl.  Nobody can predict the future but it’s at least a start in changing the culture of the team.

http://overthecap.com/revis-comes-back-jets/

You are a odd egg. Really, just seems you like to be against everything. Getting boring to tell the truth.

Unsurprisingly, you are playing semantics rather than respond to substance. Trick only works against morons. Unfortunately, you aren't dealing with one. Nice try. Go cry more about overpaying. Bet you loved last year's roster.

There is no substance in your argument. It's just flinging stuff on a wall, hoping something sticks. When you have some let me know. Ciao.

exactly.  This contract poses no cap risk for the next 3 years.  It is expensive, no doubt, just like Harris, we were willing to offer more than others so of course some people here melt down at the "overpaying" claim.  But they fail to consider how much room we have and will have under the cap for the next 3 years and the spending requirement.  This is a different NFL, financially, than it was a few years ago.  THe Revis cap hit for the next 3 years is $17 million, $16 million and $15 million (if we keep him the 3rd year, otherwise $6 million in dead wasted money).  Well within our cap space and still able to spend more.  

And there is no bonus money for Revis, Harris or Marshall so no amortized future cap hit hell like we had with Holmes and Sanchez.  That's a HUGE difference people.

The people here crying "overpaid" still have their heads in the NFL of 2011 and earlier.

exactly.  This contract poses no cap risk for the next 3 years.  It is expensive, no doubt, just like Harris, we were willing to offer more than others so of course some people here melt down at the "overpaying" claim.  But they fail to consider how much room we have and will have under the cap for the next 3 years and the spending requirement.  This is a different NFL, financially, than it was a few years ago.  THe Revis cap hit for the next 3 years is $17 million, $16 million and $15 million (if we keep him the 3rd year, otherwise $6 million in dead wasted money).  Well within our cap space and still able to spend more.  

The people here crying "overpaid" still have their heads in the NFL of 2011 and earlier.

The main problem with the "overpaying" sheep is they offer no basis for the claim. How is it overpaying? Because it's more than you would pay? Gee, great analysis.

You are a odd egg. Really, just seems you like to be against everything. Getting boring to tell the truth.

Really ? Cause i could tell you about some odd eggs over here as well. But i bet you probably know them already.

If you are bored you can always put me on ignore.

My posts are my posts and are based on logic and rational. You don't like them please put me on ignore.

Some people are excellent contrarian indicators. When they are against something, I know it is good.

Really ? Cause i could tell you about some odd eggs over here as well. But i bet you probably know them already.

If you are bored you can always put me on ignore.

My posts are my posts and are based on logic and rational. You don't like them please put me on ignore.

Meltdown imminent.

Exactly how am I "spinning"?

QB's win Super Bowls, not CB's.

You always spin.  Of course QBs are more important than CBs.  I never said otherwise.  In fact, that comment has NOTHING to do with my post.  You seem to be getting dumber each year.  Would love to get your smelly ass kicked off this site as we did on JI.  GFY.  Twice.  

still don't remember revis holding out in 2013.

In the literal sense you are correct - as he was threatening to - which is the reason he had to be traded.  If we didn't pay him or trade him he threatened to hold out.  I think we're dealing with semantics here....But I hear ya...

Same amount we wasted on Harvin for having him for half a season that was already lost. We could've carried that cap space over. But in any case, saying "we're screwed" three years from now, over a cap hit that may not even be necessary because Revis should still be worth that amount, is a little dramatic IMO.

Harvin played for us for 6 million. There's a difference between that and dead money

And thinking 3 years into a 6 year contract is normal. Every move in the NFL is considered in 3 year increments. It's chess not checkers.

Exactly how am I "spinning"?

QB's win Super Bowls, not CB's.

Sorry dude, I Don't know why the Jets aren't smart enough to step in sh*t by drafting a 6 to round nobody who turns into the greatest of all time. It certainly has nothing to do with absolute random LUCK. Belichcik, Pioli and Kraft are brillant personnel minds, that's why the rest of that entire draft lasted a maximum of 24 months on your team.

You won the QB lottery in 2000. It's that simple. If your coach handnt made such horrendous personnel moves over the last 10 years you'd have 8 SUPERBOWLS by now.

Listening to Pats fans is like having a friend who won 25 million in the lottery tell you how good they are at managing their finances. LOL

Side note: Brady is a homo

Such a drama queen.  Welcome to 2015.  Maybe that was franchise QB money in the past, but with the cap rising dramatically, that has and will continue to change.  The Revis deal does NOT handicap the Jets over the next 3 years at all.

As ridiculous as this contract is, and obviously we aren't going to agree..... I'm certainly not giving him back to the Pats.

He makes us better, and seeing #24 & #31 back on the field combined with the younger guys like Pryor, Milliner and Scrines will be a dramatically improved secondary. It's also a nice balance of youth and expierience.

Sorry dude, I Don't know why the Jets aren't smart enough to step in sh*t by drafting a 6 to round nobody who turns into the greatest of all time. It certainly has nothing to do with absolute random LUCK. Belichcik, Pioli and Kraft are brillant personnel minds, that's why the rest of that entire draft lasted a maximum of 24 months on your team.

You won the QB lottery in 2000. It's that simple. If your coach handnt made such horrendous personnel moves over the last 10 years you'd have 8 SUPERBOWLS by now.

Listening to Pats fans is like having a friend who won 25 million in the lottery tell you how good they are at managing their finances. LOL

Side note: Brady is a homo

I didn't think he was gay.  I just thought he loved goats.

Archived