Revis back with the Jets- official

Matt39

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that all things are considered and the circle is complete and we can play the hindsight game, it looks like trading away Revis saved us a couple bucks and crashed the secondary in the short term, then netted us Dee Milliner and a 4th Patriots Super Bowl. Which means that move was about as big a kick in the balls as knowing that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

So now that all things are considered and the circle is complete and we can play the hindsight game, it looks like trading away Revis saved us a couple bucks and crashed the secondary in the short term, then netted us Dee Milliner and a 4th Patriots Super Bowl. Which means that move was about as big a kick in the balls as knowing that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

Save some salt for the season!

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

What new Jets GM Mike Maccagnan has done in the past few days has been remarkable. #nyj

Rich Cimini @RichCimini  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Darrelle Revis returns -- a coup for the Jets: Some takeaways on the front-page news that cornerback Darrelle ... http://tinyurl.com/kbprlxe 

I just wonder if our beloved beat writers would be so kind to the FO if say by the end of Oct we are below .500.

It's an irony to see Revis is back. I do think he improves the CB position greatly for the next season or maybe two.

But is he the Revis of 2009 ? No way.

Is he getting paid like the Revis of 2009 ? Yup.

That was the greatest season of ANY CB, ever. It's going to be hard for any CB to ever top that during this generation.

Revis is getting paid what he deserves. All I have to say is look at Maxwell's contract and then look at Revis'.

It's an irony to see Revis is back. I do think he improves the CB position greatly for the next season or maybe two.

But is he the Revis of 2009 ? No way.

Is he getting paid like the Revis of 2009 ? Yup.

Obsession with overpaying is hilarious. Just be happy for 24 hours... or until he holds out... whichever comes first.

Great day in Jetland, one of the all time greats is coming home. Of course some people just can't be satisfied.

These guys are funny.

Here's something to consider in all of this.... The guy was pedestrian in Tampa after his injury...a lot of people thought he was done ....BB in all actuality took a FLYER on Revis. He fit WELL INTO BELICHICK's SYSTEM for ONE year. With Browner, McCourty and the rest of a talented defense and a GREAT team....He and they won a Championship......

But let's keep in mind that Revis is a SHADOW of that shutdown corner that came out as a rook several years ago. He is getting older, slower and his skills are on the decline. The Patriots system and our other D players MADE HIM LOOK BETTER than he was last year!

So....like someone else said.....we got what we needed out of Revis....he served his purpose in our defense and we got our championship. To his "I'm home again....I never wanted to leave!" I would say "good riddance. We got another ring for Belichick and Brady and many others by USING you for our Teams needs". "When you get your ring ....make sure to kiss Bill Belichick's ring because you aren't getting one without him....AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS OPPORTUNITY AGAIN MR. Revis......So enjoy the memory! Seriously....no great loss here.....Jets overpaid.....Revis will get exposed and be booed weekly as he gets torched like a campfire marshmallow....and BB will move on to the next man up!!! GO PATS!!!!!!!!

They get sooooo emotional.....they remind me of my bltch lmao

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I am not ecstatic at the move, but it greatly resolves a need and the price is rather congruent to the market always causing a premium payment. It is a good move amongst many today.

I think the real value is that Revis will be the wise sage to a young, developing, and heavily invested in, young secondary of Milner, McDougle, Allen, & Pryor. He will mentor these young players into solid veterans & professionals ON & OFF the field.

This has been quite a historic and grand day for the NY Jets acquiring talent and possibly be something to wreckin with in 2015

It's hard not to be pumped that our favorite son is coming home and will most likely retire a Jet. He may be the best player we have ever drafted. MAY BE. None the less... And this opinion won't be popular, but this deal is a disaster. 48 million guarnteed in the first 3 years? By year 3 revis, who will be collecting starting QB money, will be lucky to be a good nickle, or a safety.

I'm glad he's a Jet in 2015 and it's great to rub those disgusting chowder swilling douches faces in it. But in 2017 he will be looked at like an anchor and will limit our ability to build a competitive team.

In 2017, there are 2 possibilities for Revis and the Jets: He plays his 3rd year under the contract and gets $15 million or the Jets cut him and he gets paid $6 million along with a $6 million cap hit.  Either way, it hardly makes him an anchor, whatever that means, nor limit the ability to build/keep the team competitive.  

Mad at what?

A month ago the Pats won their 4th Super Bowl title in the last 14 years.

Pats signed Revis as as a 1-year rental and it paid off with a Super Bowl title.

With all that coin the Jets are paying Revis over the next 3 years, you really think it will payoff with a Lombardi?????

Should have used all the money on a real NFL QB instead.

Ha..   You **ARE** rattled!  Do you have any idea how transparent you are?  LOL.

Alright guys lets think about this rationally.

Revis is only in it for the paycheck.

He's done with the patriots, for life.

The patriots are going to target him and EMBARRASS him next year. Tom was always pretty okay against him, and now tom had an ENTIRE YEAR to learn how revis plays.

The Jets were not a CB away from being out of the basement last year. this changes nothing

Those tampering charges, Goodell better actually do something, if not kraft better have a press conference.

That's from your Pats forum. Sounds like anger to me.

Pats fans are furious.  Check all the forums.  TX is just spinning.

I am not ecstatic at the move, but it greatly resolves a need and the price is rather congruent to the market always causing a premium payment. It is a good move amongst many today.

I think the real value is that Revis will be the wise sage to a young, developing, and heavily invested in, young secondary of Milner, McDougle, Allen, & Pryor. He will mentor these young players into solid veterans & professionals ON & OFF the field.

This has been quite a historic and grand day for the NY Jets acquiring talent and possibly be something to wreckin with in 2015

LOL...  He can also teach them the exquisite art of holding out.

Alright guys lets think about this rationally, we'll just have to cheat more!

Revis is only in it for the paycheck, we can still cheat without him.

He's done with the patriots, for life, but we still got the ball deflator.

The patriots are going to target him and EMBARRASS him next year. Tom was always pretty okay against him, and now tom had an ENTIRE YEAR to learn how revis plays. We may even be able to cheat less.

The Jets were not a CB away from being out of the basement last year. This changes nothing, and they still have T0m Shane, so they'll never win.

Those tampering charges, Goodell better actually do something, if not kraft better have a press conference. Only we can cheat and get away with it!

That's from your Pats forum. Sounds like honesty to me.

In 2017, there are 2 possibilities for Revis and the Jets: He plays his 3rd year under the contract and gets $15 million or the Jets cut him and he gets paid $6 million along with a $6 million cap hit.  Either way, it hardly makes him an anchor, whatever that means, nor limit the ability to build/keep the team competitive.  

I think the anchor thing wasn't a confusing comment to anyone with a brain. Sorry you saw it as some sort of mysterious code.

Anyways, there's NO WAY he will be worth 15 million when he's 32. That cap number is extremely prohibitive. Its franchise QB money.

If we cut him we eat 6 million, as you said. That is HUGE. 6 million in dead money??? That's a quality free agent... Decker and Marshall only make about 7.5 million.

SO, either way in 2017 we are screwed. That's my issue with the contract. Completely legitimate analysis.

Have a nice day.

LOL...  He can also teach them the exquisite art of holding out.

Sadly, that's part of the package as well, but if they learn on how to prepare like an All-Pro, they should eventually be worth what they demand in fair compensation.

If we cut him we eat 6 million, as you said. That is HUGE. 6 million in dead money???

Same amount we wasted on Harvin for having him for half a season that was already lost. We could've carried that cap space over. But in any case, saying "we're screwed" three years from now, over a cap hit that may not even be necessary because Revis should still be worth that amount, is a little dramatic IMO.

the positive externalities of signing Revis are mind-boggling.

Not only did the Jets get better, the Pats got worse.  In 1 day the gap has been significantly narrowed.

Also, getting Revis makes Bowles whole defense work.  It allows him to play man coverage and allow Pryor to play underneath where he is at his best.

Not only that, but now our best player is also our hardest worker.  This will be the ultimate teaching tool for Milliner and McDougle.

when all this is factored in, the money is well worth it.

That was the greatest season of ANY CB, ever. It's going to be hard for any CB to ever top that during this generation.

Revis is getting paid what he deserves. All I have to say is look at Maxwell's contract and then look at Revis'.

How ? I dunno the details of Maxwell's contract. But say some other team made a not so optimal decision, that does not mean it should be used as a yardstick to feel better.

Obsession with overpaying is hilarious. Just be happy for 24 hours... or until he holds out... whichever comes first.

Great day in Jetland, one of the all time greats is coming home. Of course some people just can't be satisfied.

Because what would make be happy is winning an effing championship. Anything less is not satisfactory.

And when you have a salary cap for all teams, where you can only spend a finite amount of moneytha  when a team ends up overpaying for retaining or signing players you will never get the most talent on the field. Some other team who does a better job of getting bang for the buck will. And the chances of winning are exponentially multiplied when a team has the most talent.

The smart money here is New England. No matter how much they cheat, they are smart most times at what they do. They took a 1 year flier at 12 mill on Revis. Limited risk/good reward situation. Even  they did not give Revis the deal the JETS gave him.

The beat writers are happy.  But they can turn at the drop of a hat.

Now if you something about assembling the best assets within a finite set of resources you know the JETS overpaid Revis. He does not deserve the contract he got just because he is not the Revis of 2009. He was a very good corner last year but he was not the shutdown beast of 2009. There were chinks in his armour. His play was not worth the contract given to him today. And as he gets older not sure if he can even maintain the level of play he had last season.

I think BB put more on Revis than what Rex did, which may explain some of the drop off in performance. As the year went on BB trusted Revis to "play the play" and not micromanage as much. He then became more effective. While he is not the guy he was 3 or 4 years ago, he is still a top 5 corner. I would have loved to have him back at 3 and 36 but the allure of almost 50 mill was much more than the pats could absorb without gutting the team.

I think BB put more on Revis than what Rex did, which may explain some of the drop off in performance. As the year went on BB trusted Revis to "play the play" and not micromanage as much. He then became more effective. While he is not the guy he was 3 or 4 years ago, he is still a top 5 corner. I would have loved to have him back at 3 and 36 but the allure of almost 50 mill was much more than the pats could absorb without gutting the team.

Revis is a hell of a corner and negotiator.  Cannot knock him for either.

I would have preferred him back than any other FA, but when the Patriots set the market for MCCourty, I kind of thought Revis' Island time in New England was over.

Because what would make be happy is winning an effing championship. Anything less is not satisfactory.

And when you have a salary cap for all teams, where you can only spend a finite amount of moneytha  when a team ends up overpaying for retaining or signing players you will never get the most talent on the field. Some other team who does a better job of getting bang for the buck will. And the chances of winning are exponentially multiplied when a team has the most talent.

The smart money here is New England. No matter how much they cheat, they are smart most times at what they do. They took a 1 year flier at 12 mill on Revis. Limited risk/good reward situation. Even  they did not give Revis the deal the JETS gave him.

The beat writers are happy.  But they can turn at the drop of a hat.

Now if you something about assembling the best assets within a finite set of resources you know the JETS overpaid Revis. He does not deserve the contract he got just because he is not the Revis of 2009. He was a very good corner last year but he was not the shutdown beast of 2009. There were chinks in his armour. His play was not worth the contract given to him today. And as he gets older not sure if he can even maintain the level of play he had last season.

You need to chill man and enjoy,,WAY over thinking this..

Ya we suck, but we are getting better..dont let past karma/crap play dilute joy for current 'moving forward' news.......

I hope Pats realize that Brady and Belicheat wont be there forever.  Once they're gone its gonna be very bad for them.  Lets face it the only reason they won the Super Bowl is because Peter Carroll decided to give the Patriots a late christmas gift

Archived