Jets and Brewer Reportedly Reach Agreement

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

Brian Costello of the New York Post is reporting that the Jets and free agent G/T James Brewer have come to terms on a one-year contract.

The former New York Giants fourth round selection was expected to meet with the Jets today and apparently both sides were happy with what transpired.

Brewer, a college tackle at the University of Indiana has played sparingly since being selected in the 2011 draft and stepped in at both guard positions as well as right tackle last season.

His most extensive playing time in 2014 came at right tackle against the Jacksonville Jaguars in week 13.  Brewer didn’t allow a sack but did surrender five QB hurries against the Jags.

The big O-lineman is the latest addition by general manager Mike Maccagnan to what is fast becoming a crowded offensive line.  Having recently imported guard James Carpenter from Seattle and re-signing veteran Willie Colon, the Jets have Oday Aboushi, Dakota Dozier and Brian Winters as holdovers from last season.  Dozier, Winters and Aboushi were all offensive tackles in college which could mean a position change for one or more of gang green’s current guards in the future.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_B1TykDlNaY

View the full article

I guess it was lost on me that we had 3 former OT's on the roster that we were trying to convert into OG's.

Did we learn nothing about banking the effectiveness of the OL on projects players from the Vlad Ducasse debacle? 

I guess it was lost on me that we had 3 former OT's on the roster that we were trying to convert into OG's.

Did we learn nothing about banking the effectiveness of the OL on projects players from the Vlad Ducasse debacle? 

Seemed to be Idzik's philosophy, although I think they didn't like what they saw from Aboushi at RT and moved him inside.  Either way, that's a lot of guys being moved from OT to OG.

Brewer can play anywhere.  My cousin the Giants fan called to ask about "Kendrick" Ellis.  I asked about  Brewer and he said he can play anywhere on the line, but not very well.  They found him to be a disappointment.

Giants OL is in major need of help.  They not wanting him is telling.

Brewer can play anywhere. My cousin the Giants fan called to ask about "Kendrick" Ellis. I asked about Brewer and he said he can play anywhere on the line, but not very well. They found him to be a disappointment.

What did you tell him about Kenrick Ellis? I have a feeling he's going to haunt us. I think he's a good player who things just didn't work out for here.

The new offensive staff and GM probably dont think much of Winters and Aboushi. For the record, neither do I.

Aboushi played one good game and Jet fans started acting like he was Larry Allen. Spare me the speech. He stinks too.

Add them to the list of Idziot gems.

A revolving door of dreck since Faneca, B. Moore, and Woody at RT.

What did you tell him about Kenrick Ellis? I have a feeling he's going to haunt us. I think he's a good player who things just didn't work out for here.

I told him that he was perfect for them, but didn't really fit here.  The Jets already have Harrison.  Snacks is better and more versatile.  The Giants need a run stopper.  Put Ellis next to Hankins on first and second and hopefully you can pull him on 3rd and long.  For what they paid he is fine.  He has back issues that make me question if he will ever be too reliable, but at that price he is a nice choice.  I would have been happy to have him back at that price.

I bet that half the offensive linemen in the NFL played LT in college.  That is not an unusual move. I guess not the centers, but still...

I bet that half the offensive linemen in the NFL played LT in college.  That is not an unusual move. I guess not the centers, but still.

I understand that, but to have 3 tackles you are trying to convert to guard, and no natural guards? That basically puts all of the OL development in a "converting positions" cycle and provides no immediate help. Offensive guard isn't a position I expect to have to wait 3 years and be patient with a project for, not for 3 of the guys on the roster. That just strikes me as bad planning.

I understand that, but to have 3 tackles you are trying to convert to guard, and no natural guards? That basically puts all of the OL development in a "converting positions" cycle and provides no immediate help. Offensive guard isn't a position I expect to have to wait 3 years and be patient with a project for, not for 3 of the guys on the roster. That just strikes me as bad planning.

It's not that unusual. Lots of these guys play left tackle in college because they're the best linemen on their teams.

Unless part of the plan was to tank a couple seasons as best you could to get rid of a coach!

image.JPG

The Giants finally got an offensive lineman in the fourth round of the NFL Draft when they selected Indiana tackle James Brewer with the 117th overall pick.

The 6-6, 323-pound Brewer was a right tackle in college but has already been tagged as having "left-tackle feet" by Giants general manager Jerry Reese.

"He played on the right side for (Indiana) because they had (Roger) Saffold and they didn't want to move him," Reese said. "But we think he can play left tackle."

Brewer won't be playing either tackle spot for the Giants until he gains some weight. A former high-school basketball player, he needs to add about 10-15 pounds and can do so "in a blink," by Reese's estimation. He must also be schooled to play with better technique, but he clearly has shown the Giants he has the ability to play on the left side, where 2009 second-round pick Will Beatty is currently the heir apparent to David Diehl.

"There are some guys who are not even really great athletes but can still play on the left side," Reese said. "Guys just know how to make their set and know who their opponents are, and you can get away without a great athlete on the left side. You'd like for the guy to be a dynamic athlete on the left, but that's not always the case. You see some very good players out there playing left tackle that are not dynamic athletes. But this guy's a dynamic athlete."

Brewer has also shown a willingness to be physical enough for Reese's liking despite scouting reports that indicate otherwise.

"The thing about these guys who we call late bloomers, if they're not competitive you tend to shy away from them a little bit," Reese said. "But this guy is very competitive; he really wants to do it. We did all the interview stuff with him — 'Do you want to play football?' He convinced us that he did."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/04/giants_select_indiana_offensiv.html

Pick Analysis: The Giants continue to retool their offensive line with the addition of Brewer. He is a developmental prospect with outstanding athleticism and could become a premier left tackle in time. He could emerge as one of the draft's top sleepers when we look back at this draft in a few years.

The new offensive staff and GM probably dont think much of Winters and Aboushi. For the record, neither do I.

Aboushi played one good game and Jet fans started acting like he was Larry Allen. Spare me the speech. He stinks too.

Add them to the list of Idziot gems.

A revolving door of dreck since Faneca, B. Moore, and Woody at RT.

Faneca was part of the revolving door at LG.

Perhaps ODay, Dozier, Winters, Carpenter, Colon could make up the guards. Oday played well when he filled in. Dozier was learning last year I think we will be ok. To many in typical SOJ mode.

Exactly

Half the folks in this thread keep calling Brewer a OG, he was drafted as an OT, and has ability to play LT, he's still a prospect, and was a 4th round pick, worth taking a flier on, I'll give Mac the benefit of the doubt here, he no doubt scouted him.

Archived