Joe Jets fan

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geno Smith be the starting QB of the NYJ in 2015

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want Geno Smith to be the starting QB of the NYJ in 2015

• Yes
    • No

Should he start? Thats a little too early to say. We still have months before OTA,Training camp and Preseason. If he deserves to is yet to be determined.

Do I want him to? Not really..I'm sick of him. I'm sick of running 15 yards backwards when the rush comes, I'm sick of the nifty tricks he trys when he's going down for a sack. I'm sick of the sh*tty decision making and I'm sick of the inaccurate passes.. But the best thing would be for him to turn the corner though I dont see it happening.. If he wins out he then has that final chance.

The best guy should start. I think it's funny that Rex announced the "QB competition is open" in Buffalo, after presiding over 3 sham competitions during his tenure here. I am hopeful that the new regime will have a true, honest competition. May the best man win.

That being said I give Geno a popsicle's chance in Hell of beating out Fitz, especially in a system Fitz is already familiar with, and has had success in.

The guy who performs the best in camp and in the preseason should be the guy to start, so I can't answer the first question.

As for the second, I do hope that Geno's our starter.  With legitimate competition, him starting means that he's proven himself to be the best QB on the roster.  It also means that he's on an upward swing after finally receiving some NFL-level coaching for the first time in his career.  Do I think it's likely that this happens?  No, but having Geno legitimately win the QB competition would probably be the best outcome for the franchise moving forward since it would mean that there's still a small chance that they don't have to completely go back to the drawing board at the QB position.

I have lost all confidence in him and I think his teamates from the last two seasons have as well. All we need is for him to start and throw 4 picks and fumble a few and we're right back in the hole. Those flashes of him playing better at the end of the season mean nothing. Time to move on. I still get the feeling we're in for some sort of blockbuster trade come draft day in MM falls to us. Just a gut feeling.

Geno should be given every chance to win the starting job, and I believe he will be. Despite his performance in his first two years here, he still has a higher ceiling than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yes, Gailey has had success with Fitzpatrick in the past, but he's also had success with Kordell Stewart. I could see him hoping to take advantage of Geno's physical gifts the way he did with Slash.

But being given the opportunity =/= winning the job. Geno can only win the job if he proves he can cut down on all the turnovers; fumbles and interceptions. I'd make him the favorite to start the team's first pre-season game but, if he can't demonstrate that he's learned to protect the football, Bowles will likely go with Fitzpatrick and a familiar ground & pound, play not to lose style offense this year.

In other news, I expect the Jets to target the RB position as early as the second round of the draft.

I would love to see Geno succeed as our QB and hopefully he can handle the pressure of having someone who can probably already unseat him. Bowles defense won a lot of games with Cardinals as they played with backups and backups to the back up QB's this past season. Geno won't have to do a lot with us playing great defense and he now has Marshall and an offensive scheme similar to what he ran at Va. If he can't succeed with this new life he has the opportunity to have then he really is what he showed last year which is a clip board holder.

Still holding out hope that our QB is not on the roster yet. 

I agree, but that is looking pretty grim.  The Titans announced today at the owners meetings, that if Mariota is there at 2, he will be their starting QB.

Of course that could all be smoke, but I don't see what advantage that gives them.

I agree, but that is looking pretty grim.  The Titans announced today at the owners meetings, that if Mariota is there at 2, he will be their starting QB.

Of course that could all be smoke, but I don't see what advantage that gives them.

I think that's a little misleading - here's what Foxsports said :

Asked to clarify his quote by FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo, Whisenhunt said that if the Titans were to take any quarterback that high it would be with theexpectation to start.

I give geno 1 more year to show what he's got. I want him to start and if he doesn't step up well look again next year. I don't see the solution in this years draft. If Winston was there I'd take him because I truly believe he'll be great but mariota is a huge question. He's basically a run first geno and I'd rather have the guy that looks to pass first.

I think he was playing with words saying if he came to us meaning "if they selected him at 2". Either way they will probably get quite a few inquiries and maybe a few strong offers to trade.

Geno should be given every chance to win the starting job, and I believe he will be. Despite his performance in his first two years here, he still has a higher ceiling than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yes, Gailey has had success with Fitzpatrick in the past, but he's also had success with Kordell Stewart. I could see him hoping to take advantage of Geno's physical gifts the way he did with Slash.

But being given the opportunity =/= winning the job. Geno can only win the job if he proves he can cut down on all the turnovers; fumbles and interceptions. I'd make him the favorite to start the team's first pre-season game but, if he can't demonstrate that he's learned to protect the football, Bowles will likely go with Fitzpatrick and a familiar ground & pound, play not to lose style offense this year.

In other news, I expect the Jets to target the RB position as early as the second round of the draft.

One of the more intelligent posts I have seen on the subject of Geno Smith.  Regarding Fitz we also have realize he is coming off an injury; is rehabbing and won't participate in any of the OTAs.  We assume he will be 100% by training camp but that is not a given. 

I give geno 1 more year to show what he's got. I want him to start and if he doesn't step up well look again next year. I don't see the solution in this years draft. If Winston was there I'd take him because I truly believe he'll be great but mariota is a huge question. He's basically a run first geno and I'd rather have the guy that looks to pass first.

This and I think having FITZ in camp will help Geno.....

Well the conditions of selecting Yes or No are not set.

If he stinks the answer is no; if he's suddenly a good QB (or at least better than Fitzgerald) then yes.

No emotion in the answer beyond that. Maybe an edge to him just by virtue of his age and theoretically higher upside. But it would have to be just that close to base a decision on that after failing for 2 out of 2 seasons.

I agree, but that is looking pretty grim. The Titans announced today at the owners meetings, that if Mariota is there at 2, he will be their starting QB.

It's BS. Trying to maneuver a trade down.

No and No.

Fitz sucks

Geno sucks

Jets suck

Reminds of a story I once heard.  A cranky old man was taking a nap and his grand children decided to play a prank on him by putting some limburger cheese on his moustache.  The old man woke up to the smell and said, "this room stinks!". He then went into another room and the same result. He finally went outside to no avail, and concluded "The Whole World Stinks!".  

You don't have any grand children do you?   ;-)

Reminds of a story I once heard.  A cranky old man was taking a nap and his grand children decided to play a prank on him by putting some limburger cheese on his moustache.  The old man woke up to the smell and said, "this room stinks!". He then went into another room and the same result. He finally went outside to no avail, and concluded "The Whole World Stinks!".  

You don't have any grand children do you?   ;-)

I dont even own a dog.

Geno Smith should infact start because he is the best quarterback that they have right now. Fitzpatrick is as unreliable as Geno is. I would give Geno one more chance at quarterback since he now has quality receivers to throw to now with Decker and Marshall. I believe Geno can learn how to be a good quarterback. He showed glimpses of being good the last game @Miami. So there is hope for him to do well in my opinion. I wouldn't start the rookie quarterback right away whoever that maybe because the Jets have done that before and it didn't work out. I would have Geno or Fitz tutor and mentor the rookie before he gets a chance  to get on the field so he knows the ropes of being a starter in the NFL which I have heard is a difficult transition from College Football.

Geno Smith should infact start because he is the best quarterback that they have right now. Fitzpatrick is as unreliable as Geno is. I would give Geno one more chance at quarterback since he now has quality receivers to throw to now with Decker and Marshall. I believe Geno can learn how to be a good quarterback. He showed glimpses of being good the last game @Miami. So there is hope for him to do well in my opinion. I wouldn't start the rookie quarterback right away whoever that maybe because the Jets have done that before and it didn't work out. I would have Geno or Fitz tutor and mentor the rookie before he gets a chance  to get on the field so he knows the ropes of being a starter in the NFL which I have heard is a difficult transition from College Football.

and most important reason of all... having to register a new name on JN is such a chore

Which is why I chose something timeless.

my old photobucket got cancelled from inactivity, just thinking off all the herm pics i collected gave me a chuckle. my favorite was a grill with hamburgers and crossed hot dogs on it with the caption "Herm's X's and O's"

Archived