I'm starting to think the 6th pick may be unorthodox

Persiussa

I listen to a lot of draft podcasts and 1 thing that almost everyone says is that they do rankings with their eyes but do mock drafts with their ears as far as what they're hearing about what teams will do. The theme I'm repeatedly hearing as the draft nears is Andrus peat mentioned over and over again. Lots of people have us passing on Kevin white and taking either scherf or peat In that spot.

Then you have Bowles today from mini camp talk about how corner and defensive tackle are the most important positions in this defense. Does this put guys like Danny Shelton or Malcolm brown in play for our pick. And there's even some talk of Todd Gurley too.

I think most of us want to take whose left from the pool of Winston,mariota, cooper, white, fowler or Williams but I think we may get a curve ball so I'll try not to be stunned. If they don't take one of the players mentioned I hope we trade down first but even if we stay at 6 there could be a surprise.

One thing worth noting is that outside linebackers in Bowles defensive system could be 2 down players since he likes to play a lot of 5 and 6 defensive back sets. You don't take 2 down linebackers in the top 10 of the draft.

Offensive playmaker or bust.

One can only hope.

While I'll be more accepting of it if we go defense this time around because we finally seem to have people who know what the heck they're doing running the show now, I'll still be pretty irritated if we go defense again in the first round.  The offense has been neglected long enough.

Everything you hear before the draft (outside of who is going 1 and maybe 2) is pure nonsense and misdirection. Anything a head coach says days before the draft is likely an attempt to confuse other GMs. The Jets MAY

1- Draft Marriota if he falls

2- draft a pass rushing  LBer/DL

3- Draft a WR (White/cooper or even a Parker)

4- Draft a DT

5- Draft an OL

6- Draft Gurley

7- Trade up and take Marriota or trade up and take someone else they like

8- Trade down creating 100's of more variables. 

Just sit back and relax and let the draft play out. Speculation at this point is worthless and usually wrong. 

I have been hoping for Beasly or Fowler over the last month but the offense does need help. Marshall is older and Decker is not a #1 WR. Kerley is a slot Wr and our running game is full of bangers that are an injury risk. Cooper or White or even Gurley would be a big addition to our offense. 2 years from now, who is our offensive leader/weapon?? Yes I know we need a QB More than anything.

I'm in central PA for a rotation, I'm on the brink of losing it at any given moment. The smartest residents here are the cows. They seem cordial enough, but I try not to befriend my food. 

You should go cow tipping. If it was good enough for Chris Farley and Rob Lowe it's good enough for you.

I swear to christ I hope we draft Shane Ray and then a snowstorm blows thru Chicago right after Derek Rose goes 0-22 and the city riots. And you're stuck with an icy, rioting city. Just like Baltimore... but colder. 

Hey easy there.  I live near Baltimore and those riots were very real to me.  I was DVR-ing Gotham and when I went to play it, no Gotham, just footage of the riots.  So I had to watch Gotham On Demand last night and the commercials with no ability to fast forward almost killed me.  

Hey easy there. I live near Baltimore and those riots were very real to me. I was DVR-ing Gotham and when I went to play it, no Gotham, just footage of the riots. So I had to watch Gotham On Demand last night and the commercials with no ability to fast forward almost killed me.

My apologies. Having to watch commercials for a show that you always DVR is pure torture.

I have been hoping for Beasly or Fowler over the last month but the offense does need help. Marshall is older and Decker is not a #1 WR. Kerley is a slot Wr and our running game is full of bangers that are an injury risk. Cooper or White or even Gurley would be a big addition to our offense. 2 years from now, who is our offensive leader/weapon?? Yes I know we need a QB More than anything.

My concern as well. Our depth chart in a couple of years from now on offense might include holes at QB, WR1 AND LT. Three of the most important positions on the team with no long-term obvious solution. This draft is one opportunity to address those needs. 

I have no problem drafting a defensive guy if he is their BAP, but deep down I kind of hope we go offense to be honest. 

My concern as well. Our depth chart in a couple of years from now on offense might include holes at QB, WR1 AND LT. Three of the most important positions on the team with no long-term obvious solution. This draft is one opportunity to address those needs.

Only if you're drafting the right QB, WR and LT.  If you reach for those spots and end up with subpar talent they'll be holes down the road anyways.  I'd be very pleased with taking Cooper at 6 if he falls to us.  But QB and LT don't seem to be options in my mind there.  Winston and Mariota just don't strike me as special talents.  And Scherff isn't playing LT for us any time in the future.

Only if you're drafting the right QB, WR and LT. If you reach for those spots and end up with subpar talent they'll be holes down the road anyways. I'd be very pleased with taking Cooper at 6 if he falls to us. But QB and LT don't seem to be options in my mind there. Winston and Mariota just don't strike me as special talents. And Scherff isn't playing LT for us any time in the future.

Yeah, in my mind if white is there he's the guy. I'd even consider davante Parker as well.

Honestly though, these smallish pass rushers scare me. The wideouts are the best option and after that fowler followed by scherf is probably the best guy but it would be hard to take a guard at 6.

I wonder what McCagnan is thinking right now.

Cooper, White or even  Parker and I will be happy. We loaded up on D in free agency we need  some young talent on offense. Gurley is just too much of a risk for me at 6 with his injury history. If we traded back which I highly doubt we do I would be ok with Schreff.

I listen to a lot of draft podcasts and 1 thing that almost everyone says is that they do rankings with their eyes but do mock drafts with their ears as far as what they're hearing about what teams will do. The theme I'm repeatedly hearing as the draft nears is Andrus peat mentioned over and over again. Lots of people have us passing on Kevin white and taking either scherf or peat In that spot.

Then you have Bowles today from mini camp talk about how corner and defensive tackle are the most important positions in this defense. Does this put guys like Danny Shelton or Malcolm brown in play for our pick. And there's even some talk of Todd Gurley too.

I think most of us want to take whose left from the pool of Winston,mariota, cooper, white, fowler or Williams but I think we may get a curve ball so I'll try not to be stunned. If they don't take one of the players mentioned I hope we trade down first but even if we stay at 6 there could be a surprise.

One thing worth noting is that outside linebackers in Bowles defensive system could be 2 down players since he likes to play a lot of 5 and 6 defensive back sets. You don't take 2 down linebackers in the top 10 of the draft.

When you say unorthodox..do you mean not Greek and or not Jewish??? :)

i heard on espn radio today, that some scouts think there's only 10-15 1st round quality prospects in the entire draft.  if that's the case, i don't expect the jets to trade back too far, if at all  if  the highest rated player is on the o-line, they'll take him.  

Only if you're drafting the right QB, WR and LT.  If you reach for those spots and end up with subpar talent they'll be holes down the road anyways.  I'd be very pleased with taking Cooper at 6 if he falls to us.  But QB and LT don't seem to be options in my mind there.  Winston and Mariota just don't strike me as special talents.  And Scherff isn't playing LT for us any time in the future.

Kind of back to the 'drafting for need' v 'drafting BAP' chestnut.

But you are right, you shouldn't reach for a player based on positional need. The ideal outcome is a convergence where you end up with your BAP filling a potential weak spot on the roster, rather than let's say incrementally improving an area of strength.

I think we may get the happy convergence in this draft? If Fowler and Williams are gone by the time we pick, one of Cooper or White may be the best available player. That being the case, you grab him and the offense gets its future weapon?

None of us really know in truth. An offensive-line player could be top of our draft board right now, and none of us are any the wiser. I haven't a clue who we are going to draft to be honest. Kind of just want it to be done with right now.  :confused0085:

There's a difference between a linebacker and a pass rusher. You can find a LBer just about anywhere. A pass rusher is like striking oil in your basement.

You see the show on NBCSN last night where Collinsworth said Fowler clearly the best player in the draft? 

i heard on espn radio today, that some scouts think there's only 10-15 1st round quality prospects in the entire draft.  if that's the case, i don't expect the jets to trade back too far, if at all  if  the highest rated player is on the o-line, they'll take him.  

Fwiw La Canfora says some teams have as few as 14-16 players graded as genuine first-round talents.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25166271/the-top-32-in-the-nfl-draft-beasley-dupree-barely-make-the-cut

But then if you believe some accounts, everyone from picks 2 to 6 wants to trade back? To where and for whom?

Can it just be tomorrow night already?

Fwiw La Canfora says some teams have as few as 14-16 players graded as genuine first-round talents.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25166271/the-top-32-in-the-nfl-draft-beasley-dupree-barely-make-the-cut

But then if you believe some accounts, everyone from picks 2 to 6 wants to trade back? To where and for whom?

Can it just be tomorrow night already?

i guess teams in that range want extra picks and the ability to draft a guy with a first round grade.  in the end i believe the jets wind up with peat, and i think they'll have to take him at 6 since teams like the giants would take him IMO.  brick is the highest offensive cap salary they have the next 2 years and his play has fallen off.  drafting peat makes sense financially as well as from a need/talent standpoint.  not my first choice but the o-line needs a young tackle.

He already has his corner and NT for his defense.

those statements don't really change anything.

Mac wants to trade back to about 12 and take Peat.  The question is what does he do if he can't trade back.  Take White or Beasley or reach and take the guy he really wants in Peat.

Mac wants to trade back to about 12 and take Peat.  The question is what does he do if he can't trade back.  Take White or Beasley or reach and take the guy he really wants in Peat.

or, what happens if they trade back and peat and flowers aren't there, and the whole reason they went back was to take a tackle.

Mac wants to trade back to about 12 and take Peat. The question is what does he do if he can't trade back. Take White or Beasley or reach and take the guy he really wants in Peat.

Heard Parker is also in play if they trade back too

Archived