Browns think they can get Sam Bradford today

slats

I know fans here hope the Jets are part of the trade down bonanza for Mariota, this could be one piece of the puzzle (personally, I don't see the Jets part happening)...

Report: Browns think they can get Sam Bradford today

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 30, 2015, 5:32 AM EDT

You can almost see things coming together, with more intrigue about the about landing spots of several quarterbacks tonight.

With the Eagles lacking sufficient trade chips to get to the second pick in the 2015 NFL Draft and Marcus Mariota, it appears they’re working on the process.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated said a source told him the Browns think they have a good chance before the draft starts to acquire Eagles-for-a-minute quarterback Sam Bradford.

That would line up with the potential three-way deal we’ve been talking about here for a week, checking off a lot of the boxes that the Titans, Browns and Eagles would need.

Presumably, the Eagles would get one of the Browns’ first-rounders in any exchange for Bradford, to put with their own 20th pick (though there would likely be other moving parts in that deal).

Coupled with the fact the Eagles may be trying to move some spare parts, it sure appears they’re open for business, which will make today a fascinating one as Kelly works to put his stamp on the team.

And while Bradford’s coming off a pair of ACL tears, he’d be the most legitimate starting quarterback the Browns have had in ages, and certainly a better use of a swapped first-rounder than Brandon Weeden or Johnny Manziel.

unbelievable what this guys value is.  But supposedly he's well thought of around the league.  And multiple teams consider him worth a 1st.

i don't get it

If he could stay on the field maybe, but he can't, and won't... he's made of glass

Why would the browns part with a first rounder for Bradford?

I don't get it, either, but apparently they've already offered a first round pick and been turned down. Frankly, to me, he's barely any better than Mark Sanchez - if he is at all. Bradford has him beat by getting knocked out every year and retaining his potential, I guess. If I have both Bradford and Sanchez on my team, I definitely try to move Bradford because he has the higher perceived value. All while really not downgrading all that significantly. 

I think Jet fans are vastly underrating Bradford. Yes, he seems to be injury prone, but there is enough upside there and the QB position is so hard to fill that I can easily see spending a 1st round pick on him. Teams will spend 1st round picks all the time on questionable players, particularly QB's. If Bradford can stay healthy you can have your QB position set for 10+ years, that possibility is well worth the player you will likely get with a mid 1st round pick, who is in no way a guarantee either.

If Kelly wanted Mariota so bad why in the hell didn't he keep Foles and use him as a bargaining chip ? Stupid turn of events on the Eagles part if you ask me and if they really do want Mariota. For the Jets to be in the discussion they would have to give up The first, Wilkerson, and another pick in next years draft whether that be a 1st or second I don't know. heard on Mike and Mike this morning that the Jets are more interested than people might think as if they are very interested in Mariota.

If Kelly wanted Mariota so bad why in the hell didn't he keep Foles and use him as a bargaining chip ? Stupid turn of events on the Eagles part if you ask me and if they really do want Mariota. For the Jets to be in the discussion they would have to give up The first, Wilkerson, and another pick in next years draft whether that be a 1st or second I don't know. heard on Mike and Mike this morning that the Jets are more interested than people might think as if they are very interested in Mariota.

rumor has it that Cleveland is hot for Bradford, so you get Bradford as a chip to get a second first rounder

+ Kelly wasn't high on Foles and prefers Bradford to Foles.. So if a deal falls through, he's steal ahead of the game

I kind of feel bad for Browns fans when it comes to QB's they always get burnt

And the Jets have been so successful....

Absolutely worth taking a shot with a first rounder.  Most here seem to still undervalue the QB position.  Browns have no one they can win with, if you have a chance on a guy that has potential you take it.

Whoever they take with that late first round pick can ONLY help that team win if they find a QB.

QB is the only thing that matters.

Remind you of anybody else? :winking0001:

I don't know the histories of all the other teams but I'd rank our QB misfortunes higher then any other team

1983.. we take O'Brien over Marino

1991.. Jets Personnel director Ron Wolf has Favre as the best player in the draft, we don't have a first rounder due to Rob Moore and are unable to move up in the draft a bit to secure Brett Favre, who was taken 1 spot ahead of us, our consolation prize of course is Browning ******* Nagle

1996.. That pos Parcells won't promise to take Manning at 1.1 so he stays in school and we end up with James Farrior

2002.. We draft Chad Pennington in rd1, Pats take Brady in rd 6.. fml

2012..Sr. Director of Scouting Terry Bradway is campaigning hard to draft Russel Wilson, we take Stephen Hill instead

Marino, Favre, Manning, Brady.. woulda, coulda, shoulda

I don't know the histories of all the other teams but I'd rank our QB misfortunes higher then any other team

1983.. we take O'Brien over Marino

1991.. Jets Personnel director Ron Wolf has Favre as the best player in the draft, we don't have a first rounder due to Rob Moore and are unable to move up in the draft a bit to secure Brett Favre, who was taken 1 spot ahead of us, our consolation prize of course is Browning ******* Nagle

1996.. That pos Parcells won't promise to take Manning at 1.1 so he stays in school and we end up with James Farrior

2002.. We draft Chad Pennington in rd1, Pats take Brady in rd 6.. fml

2012..Sr. Director of Scouting Terry Bradway is campaigning hard to draft Russel Wilson, we take Stephen Hill instead

Marino, Favre, Manning, Brady.. woulda, coulda, shoulda

Other side is the Colts.  After Unitas and Morrall, the had the Ruston Rifle at #2 overall and then they had the Elway pick and traded it, traded for the Jeff George pick, had the Manning pick and the Andrew Luck pick.  The Jets had #1 overall twice in a row and ended up with Keyshawn and Farrior. The top QBs those two years were Tony Banks/Bobby Hoying and Jim Drunken-Miller/Jake Plummer.  Thanks Idzik.

unbelievable what this guys value is.  But supposedly he's well thought of around the league.  And multiple teams consider him worth a 1st.

i don't get it

Could not agree more... going into this offseason I was thinking he would be a guy that might get outright released and there are rumors of teams trading a #1 for him.  I just can't understand it either.

Other side is the Colts.  After Unitas and Morrall, the had the Ruston Rifle at #2 overall and then they had the Elway pick and traded it, traded for the Jeff George pick, had the Manning pick and the Andrew Luck pick.  The Jets had #1 overall twice in a row and ended up with Keyshawn and Farrior. The top QBs those two years were Tony Banks/Bobby Hoying and Jim Drunken-Miller/Jake Plummer.  Thanks Idzik.

:rl: It's the "Thanks Idzik" that makes it gold. 

We really need to get official "Thanks Idzik" and "Make it Happen Tanny" memes. 

YEah, the colts are amazingly lucky. The three once in a generation type QB's that have come through in the last 30 years are Elway, Manning and Luck.. Indy has the first pick all three years

YEah, the colts are amazingly lucky. The three once in a generation type QB's that have come through in the last 30 years are Elway, Manning and Luck.. Indy has the first pick all three years

Plus, don't forget they also had 1 of Thee Best All-time QB's in Johnny U. 

Archived