Don't get this Leonard Williams pick at all

Sully28

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we draft D-Line and then DE/Pass Rusher with #1 and #2.......when we have one of the worst Offenses in the NFL and spent most of our FA Capital on Defense........I will be disappointed.

I won't be able to help it, because I honestly don't that that helps us win more games, given all factors involved.  Even the #1 overall Defense needs to score points to win games.

I've very much liked this new Front Office and how they've done business.  I do have faith.

But another year of watching a bottom-5 quality offense fail to score, and losing games 6-3.....that would be tough.

Faith in Mac, I suppose.

offense wins in this league-clearly you need a great qb but since the jets dont have that the next best thing would have been to surround him with tons of talent

having a great d and losing means nothing-like rex talking up how great his D was while we were losing games

Jets should not pick any more defense the rest of the draft 

also somebody will bring up the hawks and I will argue without lynch and wilson the hawks win nothing

If we draft D-Line and then DE/Pass Rusher with #1 and #2.......when we have one of the worst Offenses in the NFL and spent most of our FA Capital on Defense........I will be disappointed.

I won't be able to help it, because I honestly don't that that helps us win more games, given all factors involved.  Even the #1 overall Defense needs to score points to win games.

I've very much liked this new Front Office and how they've done business.  I do have faith.

But another year of watching a bottom-5 quality offense fail to score, and losing games 6-3.....that would be tough.

Faith in Mac, I suppose.

If it makes you feel better, this year wan't likely to see a WR break out on this offense. The glaring hole is at QB not WR. At receiver overall, we're actually pretty well covered for a few seasons. I suppose they could have gone with Gurley, but it's not an even tradeoff unless he literally turns into a Peterson or Lynch who's an all-time great into his late 20s and possibly into his early 30s. History says that's unlikely.

Your last line is kind of where I am. Plus I do think they would have taken Cooper if he was there. If Williams was their first choice they'd have sprinted to the podium instead of exhausting all their time (though I'd hope they would do that no matter what, just to see what all offers are; they can always say "no" after 5 minutes of taking calls the same as after 5 seconds of refusing to take any).

It's looking like they were in one of 2 modes for the pick: best+surest thing or trade down. The latter didn't materialize so they went with the former.

I've been wanting to get a #1 WR prospect for a while now, and I think Kevin White is going to be very good, but I'm still happy about Williams and can't begrudge the Jets for taking BPA. He's just a monster to handle and a very versatile guy which is perfect for our defense.

We need DGB

Marshall is old, Kerley is a JAG and this is WR/TE league as much as a QB league

/FACEPALM

Wrote a long detailed reply to slats, accidentally hit some key, and lost the whole damn thing.

/sigh

So short(er) version:  If we draft a WR (2nd), QB (third) and O-Lineman (4th) over the next two days, I would be very pleased overall with this draft class, despite my difference of strategic opinion over the top pick.

I have no doubt Williams is the best non-QB in a weak overall draft class, so it's not him or his talent I question.  He shouldn't be a Ghost, he'll probably be a solid starter (although I'd hold off calling him our next Klecko as some have done).

With that said, The D without Williams I would have projected as Top 10, maybe Top 5.  That has not changed at all.  The O, right now, is still Sub-15 in my view.  I liked the Marshall pick (especially the price), but he's not to be relied on especially long term IMO.  Decker is the only truly reliable top-end WR we have.  Marshall could be anything (good or bad), Kerley is a JAG.  WR is a vital position, especially with our weakness at QB.

End of the day, I simply hold a different view of how to Draft than many do.  I have never agreed with BAP.  I have always supported BAP-NEED.  Williams was the BAP, i agree.  White was the BAP-NEED IMO.

But yes slats, if we get a WR who is only a slight dropoff from White, potential and talent wise, I can happily live with that, especially if it's followed up by a QB and an O-Lineman.

Is WR truly a need when you have Brandon Marshall (top 10 WR), Eric Decker, Jermey Kerley and joker TE in Amaro with a bunch of guys who have some potential on the roster?  I'd argue it wasnt a need at all really.   

The true needs on this team are QB and OLB and I just dont think there was a logical prospect on the board at that position.

And I wanted White...but thats because I never expected Williams to be there.

We just watched Seattle dominate Denver in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, then come 1 stupid play away from taking down the Pats.  Yet people are really going to sit here and laugh and make the same tired "Defense wins championships" jokes?  Shut up.  Take elite players wherever they play and let everything else sort itself out. 

The only thing that matters on offense is the QB and having at least like 3 solid guys on the O-Line.  So who did you want there?  Bryce Petty or some RT?  Was Kevin White going to take this offense to new heights?  Scream offense all you want, but unless there's a quality prospect in the spot you're picking, or you give up a king's ransom to move up, you don't pass on a guy the caliber of Williams.  Ever.

Is WR truly a need when you have Brandon Marshall (top 10 WR), Eric Decker, Jermey Kerley and joker TE in Amaro with a bunch of guys who have some potential on the roster? I'd argue it wasnt a need at all really.

The true needs on this team are QB and OLB and I just dont think there was a logical prospect on the board at that position.

And I wanted White...but thats because I never expected Williams to be there.

Marshall is old and long term won't be here and Kerley is mediocre. Last I checked we don't have Brady or Manning at qb. WR is absolutely still a need.

Marshall is old and long term won't be here and Kerley is mediocre. Last I checked we don't have Brady or Manning at qb. WR is absolutely still a need.

And until we have that QB it's pointless to load up on WR's.  3 Megatrons wouldn't make Geno look good, and Fitzpatrick is just a nice stop-gap guy.  So which QB did you want to draft there?

And until we have that QB it's pointless to load up on WR's.  3 Megatrons wouldn't make Geno look good, and Fitzpatrick is just a nice stop-gap guy.  So which QB did you want to draft there?

So because we don't have a QB we shouldn't improve the team in other areas? Maybe we should just cancel all the games then

And until we have that QB it's pointless to load up on WR's. 3 Megatrons wouldn't make Geno look good, and Fitzpatrick is just a nice stop-gap guy. So which QB did you want to draft there?

So we should not improve the offense because we didn't trade up for Mariota? Oh ok.

I seem to recall getting to 2 straight AFCG with buttfumblechez qb'ing a talented offense.

So because we don't have a QB we shouldn't improve the team in other areas? Maybe we should just cancel all the games then

Don't bother with the mariota-lovers Tyler. We almost went to the Super Bowl with Dirty Sanchez and a talented offensive roster so of course we should trade our entire draft for a glorified option qb.

Disagree.  31 isnt old for a WR.  And when you have a top 10 WR, with a very solid #2 borderline #1 and a solid slot who can also play outside in Kerley, with hopefully an emerging joker type TE...you have a lot of options to catch passes making WR a luxury, not a need.

Agree, just keep going 0-16 until we get a QB.

Seattle didn't win a SB because of Russell Wilson.  The Giants didn't win because of Eli, he led the league in freaking ints.  It's easier if you have a great QB, but.. you can win with a great D and a decent QB with players around him.

No, I don't think we are going to the SB next year.  But if we get a QB to complete 60% of his passes, with a decent TD to turnover ration and the D I think we'll have, this team can win 8-10 and go for a wildcard.

Disagree.  31 isnt old for a WR.  And when you have a top 10 WR, with a very solid #2 borderline #1 and a solid slot who can also play outside in Kerley, with hopefully an emerging joker type TE...you have a lot of options to catch passes making WR a luxury, not a need.

Meant to pos rep this, sorry.

Kerley is certainly intriguing as the 3rd/4th option on the team when he's almost always been the second or even most reliable in recent years.

Disagree. 31 isnt old for a WR. And when you have a top 10 WR, with a very solid #2 borderline #1 and a solid slot who can also play outside in Kerley, with hopefully an emerging joker type TE...you have a lot of options to catch passes making WR a luxury, not a need.

Marshall has already started his decline look at his stats from last year.

Agree, just keep going 0-16 until we get a QB.

Seattle didn't win a SB because of Russell Wilson. The Giants didn't win because of Eli, he led the league in freaking ints. It's easier if you have a great QB, but.. you can win with a great D and a decent QB with players around him.

No, I don't think we are going to the SB next year. But if we get a QB to complete 60% of his passes, with a decent TD to turnover ration and the D I think we'll have, this team can win 8-10 and go for a wildcard.

Wah wah we didn't trade our entire draft and Wilkerson for Mariota wah!!!!

So we should not improve the offense because we didn't trade up for Mariota? Oh ok.

I seem to recall getting to 2 straight AFCG with buttfumblechez qb'ing a talented offense.

Because of a dominant defense, you numbskull.  lol.

Meant to pos rep this, sorry.

Kerley is certainly intriguing as the 3rd/4th option on the team when he's almost always been the second or even most reliable in recent years.

Yep!  I've always said, put Kerley in the slot up in New England playing the Welker role and he catches 100+ easily.  Now he gets to play that underneath role here with 2 guys that you're going to have a hard time guarding one on one.  If Amaro becomes the mismatch on the inside he was drafted to be...its not a need to have more pass catching options.

That said, I hope they go WR in the 2nd. :) 

Because of a dominant defense, you numbskull. lol.

We only had a top 5 OL and Tone, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller and Cotchery when they were all still good players but I'll take your word for it. Let's draft Bryce Petty or the LB who flunked a drug test he knew about months in advance and got 7 sacks last season.

Yep! I've always said, put Kerley in the slot up in New England playing the Welker role and he catches 100+ easily. Now he gets to play that underneath role here with 2 guys that you're going to have a hard time guarding one on one. If Amaro becomes the mismatch on the inside he was drafted to be...its not a need to have more pass catching options.

That said, I hope they go WR in the 2nd. :)

I won't complain with DGB or Strong in rd 2 or waiting til the 3rd or 4th for the guy with the best hands in the draft wouldn't upset me either, though :P

Barring injury, the receiving corps is dramatically improved from the 2014 season even if it remains unchanged from today.

- Brandon Marshall > (nobody x 8 games, then Harvin x 8 games) 

- Eric Decker healthy > Eric Decker injured

- Jace Amaro year 2 > Jeff Cumberland (14 starts) + rookie Amaro

- Jeremy Kerley with less D attention on him > Jeremy Kerley with reduced D attention on him

3 of the 4 names may be the same, but they're not going to be the same. Not to mention the QB is going to be improved over 2014 Geno/Vick. It'll either be Fitzpatrick (most likely) or a Geno Smith who actually earned a starting job (less likely). Then on top of that, throw in what we are all believing will be a noticeable improvement in the OC.

Dynamic player that White might be (or might be someday), it's not like he was the secret sauce to breathing life into a dead corpse of a receiving corps. Our receiving corps is quite good without him, and there's no more space for him starting at WR than for Williams starting at DE. Arguably less, since teams have (allegedly) approached us about Wilkerson since before the draft. It's looking now like they wanted to see what happened in the draft before they took either trade offer. Then again, neither offer may have been very good.

Also it's not like the team has announced they won't be taking a WR, RB, G, or T with any of their remaining picks in rounds 2-4 (plus any other picks, should a trade for Mo materialize and translate into one or more this season). 

We only had a top 5 OL and Tone, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller and Cotchery when they were all still good players but I'll take your word for it. Let's draft Bryce Petty or the LB who flunked a drug test he knew about months in advance and got 7 sacks last season.

We also had the # 1 defense in the world that season.  And the 2015 roster has Brandon Marshall (better than any of those weaponz you listed), Amaro (far better than that pu$$y Keller) Decker, Kerley, and better RB's, with an improving offensive line.  Not to mention a non-retard at QB in Fitzpatrick.

Your argument is invalid.

The money is a big issue. The front office has been reluctant to pay Wilk. There must be a reason for that.

This year, the team can field a monster DL. They can weather injuries without any dropoff in talent. They can assess everyone, and address Wilk after the season. If they decide to move on from him, expecting a late first-rounder back would be reasonable. Couple that with an extra $14M or so to spend in free agency, and you've picked up two solid starters (and maybe a star or two) for Wilkerson and his cap room without any decline at his position.

I'm a huge fan of BAP drafting. This is a prime example of how it works. White would've pleased a lot of people, but the value pick was Williams. Williams was not only rated higher than White everywhere, but also considered to be significantly safer. This was a great pick.

Don't get me wrong. I get it. It's a good pick given what was on the board. It's just...yet another sh*t season to get yet another defensive lineman. So anticlimactic. The whole thing was a resounding meh to me. If it's in the interest of a super unit, great. If not, I dunno, I'm just meh about it.

Do you really truly believe that?   

tumblr_m08gx7IaV41qffb31o2_500.gif

Don't get me wrong. I get it. It's a good pick given what was on the board. It's just...yet another sh*t season to get yet another defensive lineman. So anticlimactic. The whole thing was a resounding meh to me. If it's in the interest of a super unit, great. If not, I dunno, I'm just meh about it.

Getting the best player in the draft is meh, guys.  And wins vs. Titans and Dolphags, something something learning to win, something something, let me mad because we landed the best player in the draft and i didnt expect it because something something learning to win.

I don't think you do get it. I would like to take this opportunity to explain further. Should only take me a few dozen paragraphs.

Do you really truly believe that?   

tumblr_m08gx7IaV41qffb31o2_500.gif

Absolutely.  A bad QB is a bad QB, no matter how many weapons you surround him with.  We have plenty of weapons on our roster for any reasonably good QB to work with.  Geno Smith is not close to being a reasonably good QB.

Then you should be happy right now, because that's exactly what we're doing.  We didn't draft Williams with the intention that he just takes Mo's spot on the roster.  We took Williams because he's the best f*ckin player in the draft.  Period.  Quit sulking, it's unbecoming.

Archived