Petty impresses in mini camp

njjetman

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty took a few baby steps Friday, his first day in an NFL-style offense. He huddled. He took snaps from under center. He stepped out of his Baylor cocoon, the cushy world of a spread offense, and he crushed it on Day 1 of the New York Jets' rookie camp.

Now for some perspective: It was Playbook 101, the basics of the basics, and there was no contact in practice. That's important to know because a live pass rush can turn a rifle arm into a noodle arm. We won't know that about Petty until the preseason, but he passed his first throwing test, slinging the ball with velocity and accuracy during seven-on-seven drills. There was a hiccup on his final throw -- a hurried pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown -- but it still was a positive day for the fourth-round pick.

Bryce Petty showed off his quick release during the Jets' Friday workout. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

"He has all the intangibles, but that word is thrown around so much," coach Todd Bowles said after practice. "It's sort of the new word for 'potential.'"

Translation: Bowles needs to see a lot more from Petty before he starts throwing around flowery compliments.

Petty has a quick release, a compact delivery and a strong enough arm. He threw 61 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions in his final two seasons at Baylor. As Bowles said, "You have to admit, that's pretty good." It sure is, but he wouldn't have lasted until the 103rd pick if he were deemed a sure thing. It was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota and everybody else, according to the experts.

Clearly, Petty aspires to be greater than the "everybody else" category.

"That's their opinion," he said. "I know what I am. I know what I want to do here. All that stuff is in the past now. It's all about what we do here."

The knock on Petty is that he's a system quarterback, and it's not an unfair perception because he played in a system -- an uptempo, no-huddle attack -- that minimized the quarterback's decision-making. In fact, he ran a no-huddle on 78 percent of his plays in college, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He rarely took a snap from under center; 97 percent of his career dropbacks were taken from a shotgun or pistol formation.

Petty said he's looking forward to learning the Jets' system, admitting he'll "be able to play quarterback a little bit." On Friday, he was allowed to read off a play card in the huddle -- a first-day cheat sheet. There were only a couple of glitches at the line of scrimmage, which was to be expected on Day 1. The bottom line is, he looked like he belonged.

So, go ahead, call him a system quarterback.

"Hey, if they're not talking about you," he said, "that's when I need to be worried."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty is not a shrinking violet. I like that. Geno, on the other hand, always seemed to be possessed of a false sense of bravado. We shall see what we shall see. But I like the attitude.

I never got that from Geno. A little pouty sometimes maybe.

Like hearing that he has a quick release. People overrate arm strength - a quick release is even more important. A long (or slow) delivery like Geno has is almost a death sentence for an NFL QB.

Co-sign. Seems like his arm is commonly described as "strong enough", I see no evidence whatsoever of noodle arm or his arm strength being borderline.  The quick release with a reasonably strong arm controls time and space as effectively as a hose.

Al this talk about he has to sit bec of the system he played in college. Do you guys realize Sanchez started right away after playing ONE season for USC? One ****ing season.

Jets fan don't get this at all and would LOVE nothing more than rushing ANOTHER QB on to the field before their ready!!!

CRAZY!!!!!

Jets fan don't get this at all and would LOVE nothing more than rushing ANOTHER QB on to the field before their ready!!!

CRAZY!!!!!

Just saying it's not as an outrageous thought as people seem to think. Bortles, Bridgwater, Carr all played last year and ended with below mediocre stats but no one is saying them struggling on the field is ruining their development. RGIII played right away coming from the same exact system as Petty nullifying the dominant narrative that he cant start this season.

Al this talk about he has to sit bec of the system he played in college. Do you guys realize Sanchez started right away after playing ONE season for USC? One ****ing season.

LOL------ Yes he did.  How'd that turn out?

If Petty has any talent, and I think he does, he's in a great situation.   Nothing is expected of him.  The Jets have a young starting QB with, IMO, limited upside, but it's possible he plays like a decent NFL QB this year under Gailey.   If he doesn't, as I expect, the Jets have a limited veteran, who has played well under Gailey.  

The worst thing that could happen to Petty is that he's the best QB on the Jets this summer, and starts opening day.

The arguments against Petty are viable.  QB's out of the spread usually struggle in the NFL.

Petty has one big NFL trait that is common among successful NFL QB's.  Southern Jet mentioned it the other day, and compared it to Namath, I'm not ready to go there---yet  :)   but, Petty carries the  ball high,  when he throws, he just snaps it behind his ear, and a real nice ball comes out.  It's what's often referred to as quick release.  Compare it to Winston's wind up.  Not a whole lot of players have the arm talent to do it.

This is a very smart, hard working QB.  I think he can pull it off by next year.    Don't even want to see him near a start this year 

Red shirt him this year. Compete next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree 100%   I don't care how good/bad he plays.    He needs to sit and learn this year.

I think he has a lot of arm talent, we'll see if he's an NFL QB next year.

Bryce Petty reveals approach to becoming pro-style quarterback

By Brian CostelloMay 8, 2015 | 10:32pm

For Bryce Petty, this day had been a long time coming.

When he stepped onto the Jets’ practice field Friday, the quarterback knew the draft process was over and his NFL career had begun.

“The whole process of playing your last game in college and then Senior Bowl, combine, pro day and then getting here, it feels like six years,” said Petty, the Jets’ fourth-round pick. “To be here, it’s a great feeling.”

On his first day, Petty showed the big arm he was known for at Baylor. He made some nice throws, and was intercepted once in team drills. For Petty, the challenge is not throwing the ball, but learning the Jets’ offense. At Baylor, he ran a spread offense that bears little resemblance to what he will do in the NFL. Because of that, no one expects Petty to take the starting job from Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick this year. For Petty, 2015 is about learning.

“It’s a process,” Petty said. “It’s one you have to take day by day. It’s a mountain I’m ready to climb, excited to climb. Being in a spread offense where things might have been a little more simplistic in college and then coming here and being able to play quarterback a little bit. Not that we didn’t at Baylor, but you get more on your plate here, which is what I love. You get to play the position. You just have to embrace every day.”

Petty had a prolific career at Baylor. He led the team to back-to-back Big 12 titles. As a senior, he threw for 3,855 yards with 29 touchdowns and seven interceptions. But with the Bears, he never huddled and rarely took a snap under center.

The biggest knock on him has been that he is only a system quarterback and will struggle to adjust to an NFL offense. The criticism does not faze him.

“If they’re not talking about you, that’s when I need to be worried,” Petty said. “It’s a process. It goes day by day. Hopefully, one day you guys will stop talking about me being a system quarterback. Right now, I’ve got to pay my dues. I’m excited about that.”

Petty said he has worked on taking snaps under center with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr. and does not think that will be a tough transition. The harder part may be getting used to calling plays in a huddle. At Baylor, the plays are signaled in from the coaches with the players already on the line of scrimmage. NFL plays are sometimes paragraphs long. Petty must not only learn the playbook, but be able to communicate it to his teammates in the huddle without hesitation.

“That just goes to my preparation,” Petty said. “That’s as much as I want to get into it. For me, that’s exactly what I want to do right now. If [reporters] weren’t here, I’d be in my playbook. That’s kind of what I’ve said all along: It’s more about the person than it is the player as far as when you come out of a system.

“For me, I want to be the best. I want to be productive. I want to be in the best chance to be successful for my teammates. I want to put my guys in the best chance so they can get the ball. That comes with me knowing what to do.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he does not think his newest pupil will have any problems with the huddle.

“For him I don’t think it will be difficult,” Bowles said. “If you know Bryce, he’s a

very engaging guy. He’s very smart. He’s very football smart. Repeating plays in the huddle shouldn’t be a problem for him.”

Agree 100%   I don't care how good/bad he plays.    He needs to sit and learn this year.

I think he has a lot of arm talent, we'll see if he's an NFL QB next year.

Ditto.  It is not as though he has failed at a pro style offense, he just hasn't played in one.  People, including his coach, are saying he has the "intangibles".  I beg to differ.  I see that he has the "tangibles":  strong arm, good feet, mobile, quick release, etc. I like what I see from a cursory eyeball test and the guy looks like he has the tools of a pro QB.  Whether he adapts is another story.   I see nothing yet that shows he will be unable to make the transition.  Time will tell.  Perfect project IMO.

He says all the right things, but then so did/does Geno. The kid has all the talent in the world, but I did not like what I saw from him this year, however I'm eager to see what a year or two on the bench can do for him.

^Full retreat

just had that little hiccup of a pick 6

and was reading off of flash cards in the huddle

other than that he was awesome

^That time Coples had six "sacks" in rookie camp (without pads, mind you) and you said he was "too good."

He should play this year if he is ready.   Silly to take a year away from him just because you think every qb should sit a year 1st.

Geno Smith would not have benefit from a year on pine...he would have just sucked even more a year later.

There are plenty of examples of qb getting drafted and sitting on pine only to suck later.

Good start but I still think Geno should start the season

Fitz will step in if needed but that would officially end the Geno era

I would like to see Petty in some game action this year, they need to know how much of the farm to sell for a QB in the 2016 draft

Reading Cardale Jones tweets makes me believe that he's lacking a cerebral cortex. Can you confirm?

Reading Cardale Jones tweets makes me believe that he's lacking a cerebral cortex. Can you confirm?

Not sure yet, I think he is just young but it's a big question around here...

I would think a low cerebral guy would have been strongly encouraged to enter the draft last year by his agents...

We will see if he wins the job this year, don't think Urban will play around, if he runs the table it will be hard not to want to reunite him with Devin Smith 

Not sure yet, I think he is just young but it's a big question around here...

I would think a low cerebral guy would have been strongly encouraged to enter the draft last year by his agents...

We will see if he wins the job this year, don't think Urban will play around, if he runs the table it will be hard not to want to reunite him with Devin Smith

Watching him play last year, and the types of throws he made, put me in a tizzy because Hackenberg scares me and I think Cook will be the #1 guy, but reading up on Jones was depressing: lazy, dopey, and obtuse.

He should play this year if he is ready.   Silly to take a year away from him just because you think every qb should sit a year 1st.

Geno Smith would not have benefit from a year on pine...he would have just sucked even more a year later.

There are plenty of examples of qb getting drafted and sitting on pine only to suck later.

Really disagree with that. Geno and Sanchez before him were thrown into the starting lineup way before they were ready. Geno, especially, coming from his gimmicky college offense. And when you throw them in before they're ready, they screw up a lot, and lose confidence. You can really see that in Geno, who really goes into a shell with every mistake. Maybe a year of learning would've limited those early mistakes, and given him a little foundation to work from.

I like that they're gonna bring Petty along very slowly. They should. People have very high expectations this year, but it's the first year with a rookie head coach and a rebuilt roster. I think the regime is taking a longer view. Best thing that could happen to Petty would be to have a nice preseason against future UPS drivers, and then not see game action again until preseason 2016.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty took a few baby steps Friday, his first day in an NFL-style offense. He huddled. He took snaps from under center. He stepped out of his Baylor cocoon, the cushy world of a spread offense, and he crushed it on Day 1 of the New York Jets' rookie camp.

Now for some perspective: It was Playbook 101, the basics of the basics, and there was no contact in practice. That's important to know because a live pass rush can turn a rifle arm into a noodle arm. We won't know that about Petty until the preseason, but he passed his first throwing test, slinging the ball with velocity and accuracy during seven-on-seven drills. There was a hiccup on his final throw -- a hurried pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown -- but it still was a positive day for the fourth-round pick.

Bryce Petty showed off his quick release during the Jets' Friday workout. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

"He has all the intangibles, but that word is thrown around so much," coach Todd Bowles said after practice. "It's sort of the new word for 'potential.'"

Translation: Bowles needs to see a lot more from Petty before he starts throwing around flowery compliments.

Petty has a quick release, a compact delivery and a strong enough arm. He threw 61 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions in his final two seasons at Baylor. As Bowles said, "You have to admit, that's pretty good." It sure is, but he wouldn't have lasted until the 103rd pick if he were deemed a sure thing. It was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota and everybody else, according to the experts.

Clearly, Petty aspires to be greater than the "everybody else" category.

"That's their opinion," he said. "I know what I am. I know what I want to do here. All that stuff is in the past now. It's all about what we do here."

The knock on Petty is that he's a system quarterback, and it's not an unfair perception because he played in a system -- an uptempo, no-huddle attack -- that minimized the quarterback's decision-making. In fact, he ran a no-huddle on 78 percent of his plays in college, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He rarely took a snap from under center; 97 percent of his career dropbacks were taken from a shotgun or pistol formation.

Petty said he's looking forward to learning the Jets' system, admitting he'll "be able to play quarterback a little bit." On Friday, he was allowed to read off a play card in the huddle -- a first-day cheat sheet. There were only a couple of glitches at the line of scrimmage, which was to be expected on Day 1. The bottom line is, he looked like he belonged.

So, go ahead, call him a system quarterback.

"Hey, if they're not talking about you," he said, "that's when I need to be worried."

I'll reserve my opinion until preseason. Good to hear that he looked good though. I hope that either Geno or Petty for that matter changes my overall perspective on the QB position because I am a bit concerned about the position. Good post. 

It sure is, but he wouldn't have lasted until the 103rd pick if he were deemed a sure thing. It was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota and everybody else, according to the experts.

Because when I think about "sure things," I think about Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.

Bryce Petty is sharp in first work at Jets minicamp

BY SETH WALDER    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, May 9, 2015, 12:57 AM A A A

Someday down the line, Jets rookie Bryce Petty may find himself in a starting quarterback discussion. That time is not here yet — Todd Bowles was clear about that when the Jets drafted him last weekend — but Petty did get his Jets career off to a positive start in rookie minicamp on Friday, when he threw his first passes in practice.

The former Baylor quarterback was accurate in team and 7-on-7 sessions and overall had a solid day. But before Petty is anointed Geno Smith’s successor or the savior of the Jets, remember this: There were no Darrelle Revises out there on the field playing against him.

“It’s a process,” Petty said of his transition to the NFL. “It’s a mountain that I’m ready to climb and that I’m excited to climb.”

While he had a good practice, Petty also took part in a Jets rite of passage on Friday: he threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown. Dashaun Phillips made the pick on a comeback route toward the end of practice.

The Jets traded up to select Petty in the fourth round last Saturday. Like Smith before him, Petty comes from a spread system that had him operate almost completely out of the shotgun. But unlike when the Jets drafted Smith in 201 3, Petty won’t need to be rushed into action, as Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are ahead of him on the depth chart.

“Being in a spread offense where things might have been a little bit more simplistic in college and then coming here, being able to play quarterback a little bit, not that we didn’t in Baylor, you just get more on your plate here, which is what I love,” Petty said. “It’s why you play the position.”

Those critical of Petty believe he was simply a product of the Baylor offense, although he said he is not fighting the label of “system quarterback.”

Not only did Petty almost never play under center in college, but Baylor’s offense was also an up-tempo, no-huddle system, meaning Petty has to get used to huddles again.

“For him I don’t think it’s going to be difficult,” Bowles said. “If you know Bryce, he’s a very engaging guy. He’s very smart, he’s very football smart.”

HOME STUDY

It sounds as if Smith and Brandon Marshall are getting a jump-start on building chemistry. Marshall, the new Jets receiver, revealed Friday that he is living with the quarterback.

“Twenty-four hours a day we’re getting after it,” Marshall said on ESPN Radio in Chicago. “Go home, walking through plays.”

Marshall said he plans on staying with Smith until the end of June before getting his own place.

He was also supportive of Smith’s abilities on the field.

“It’s cool because he’s a guy that he can make all the throws,” Marshall said. “He’s super duper smart.” . . . The Jets officially signed DE Leonard Williams and WR Devin Smith , and have inked all of their draft picks.

The former Bears receiver, who was traded to the Jets this offseason, also revealed that he could have ended up as a New England Patriot. Marshall said the Bears considered trading him to the Patriots a season ago.

DEFLECTGATE

Todd Bowles stuck to the company line on DeflateGate, which is to say, he said virtually nothing at all.

“That has nothing to do with our team at this time,” Bowles said.

Asked if he expects Tom Brady to be suspended, Bowles said, “I have no idea.”

EXTRAS

The Jets had a couple of big names on their tryout list for rookie minicamp. The group includes tight end Mike Flacco who is the brother, of (if you hadn’t guessed), Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. Former 49ers first-round pick A.J. Jenkins is trying out for the Jets as well, as is Chase Williams, the son of Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams who was at the center of the Saints BountyGate scandal...OT Corey Hilliard, signed as a free agent this offseason, retired. TE Chris Pantale and LB Chris Young were waived. The Jets also signed CB Greg Henderson and released LB Mario Harvey.

Archived