49ers lose another to Retirement. 25 year old Anthony Davis

32EBoozer

Talk about a tough off-season for SF!

Ouch!

49ers’ Anthony Davis retires at age 25

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

Philadelphia Eagles v San Francisco 49ers
Getty Images

The 49ers have once again lost a player to a surprise retirement.

Anthony Davis, a 25-year-old offensive tackle who was the 11th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, said in a statement that he is retiring from football.

“After a few years of thought, I’ve decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL. This will be a time for me to allow my Brain and Body a chance to heal. I know many won’t understand my decision, that’s ok,” Davis said. “I hope you too have the courage to live your life how you planned it when day dreaming to yourself growing up. Your Life is Your dream and you have the power to control that dream. Im simply doing what’s best for my body as well as my mental health at this time in my life.”

Davis had started every game for all five of his NFL seasons until last year, when he missed nine games during an injury-plagued season. Of particular concern was a late-season concussion which had lingering symptoms.

The 49ers have also lost Chris Borland, Patrick Willis and Justin Smith to retirements this offseason.

Yeah, I remember how big a recruit Davis was at Rutgers. Still THE highest rated recruit ever, no?

I lol @ the NFL losing young players like this. Jeff Samardzija made the best decision of his life by bypassing it altogether, but not many have the option of a ML contract. Collect the check, retire while healthy, and leave with your middle finger in the air to the league.

Yeah, I remember how big a recruit Davis was at Rutgers. Still THE highest rated recruit ever, no?

I lol @ the NFL losing young players like this. Jeff Samardzija made the best decision of his life by bypassing it altogether, but not many have the option of a ML contract. Collect the check, retire while healthy, and leave with your middle finger in the air to the league.

The San Francisco 49ers were hit with another retirement, as Anthony Davis called it a career, at least for the short term. Time to break down the salary cap implications.

qzhbfg9lgfrkmkrt4l4u_normal.jpeg ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk

Per source, retired 49ers RT Anthony Davis will pay back his unearned signing bonus money. It will be a significant chunk of change.

xQREAMXm_normal.jpg Anthony Davis

@BamDavis_

I'll be back in a year or so.. I'll be 26 or 27 years old. Im taking this time to allow my Brain and Body time to heal and recoup.

The sudden news that Anthony Davis is retiring from the NFL raises numerous salary cap question marks. Davis said he is taking "a year or so away from the NFL" to give his brain and body a chance to heal. The 49ers announced that Davis told the team he plans to retire. So maybe Davis returns, maybe not.

First and foremost, he will remain under contract to the 49ers if he decides to return. His contract will toll during his retirement, which means if he returns in a year, he will remain under his current contract terms. He is currently signed through 2019.

For the short term though, the 49ers will take a sizable cap hit. If they had cut him post June 1, they would save $2,225,000 in cap space, and carry $3,366,670 in dead money. However, that dead money is based on the remainder of his signing bonus money. Given that he is choosing to walk away, the 49ers have the option of re-couping signing bonus money.

Given that Davis is saying he will be back in a year or so, I am not entirely sure what this means for the 49ers and his signing bonus. He would not be the first player to walk away and come back (see Ricky Williams). I am not entirely sure what the plan will be for the 49ers, but my guess is they approach this like he is not coming back. That means they would likely try and get back the prorated signing bonus money. That would likely result in a cap credit for 2016, unless they somehow got that money back fairly quickly this year. I don't know the exact rules for the timing of such a credit.

What a horrible off-season for SF.  They've lost a ton of excellent players to retirement and Tomsula 

seems to be a horrible choice for HC.  He could barely put two sentences together they are going

to regret not keep Harbaugh

What a horrible off-season for SF.  They've lost a ton of excellent players to retirement and Tomsula 

seems to be a horrible choice for HC.  He could barely put two sentences together they are going

to regret not keep Harbaugh

Harbaugh is a narcissist! He must be tough to work with to let a man with his talent walk. Must have driven everyone crazy

I totally respect this kid's decision-it's really a smart thing to do, and a MATURE thing to do. How many of these guys have to blow their own heads off after suffering through what concussions do. Look at our own #80, remember seeing him knocked on the field his last year? Then we finally saw him blink his eyes-Chrebet will NEVER be a normal guy again.

Seems as if SF might just decide to move on.... get their money back. Kids a headcase.

A 25 year old "kid" is a head case because he doesn't want to be drinking his meals from a straw in his 50s? Sounds like the "kid" is very mature to me.

If this is truly a health issue then why just take a year off?  Why not simply retire?  You can always come back later, ask Favre. 

Also, why decide NOW that you're hanging them up?  The timing of his decision puts his teammates, and the team's chance for success in a difficult spot.  He couldn't have retired before the draft, or free agency? Now they get to pillage for a RT. 

I mean, a little heads up woulda been nice, you know. 

A 25 year old "kid" is a head case because he doesn't want to be drinking his meals from a straw in his 50s? Sounds like the "kid" is very mature to me.

Why would he be drinking meals through a straw in his 50s? How would taking a year off help?

If this is truly a health issue then why just take a year off? Why not simply retire? You can always come back later, ask Favre.

Also, why decide NOW that you're hanging them up? The timing of his decision puts his teammates, and the team's chance for success in a difficult spot. He couldn't have retired before the draft, or free agency? Now they get to pillage for a RT.

I mean, a little heads up woulda been nice, you know.

Yes. He should have thought about the billion dollar organization's feelings when making a life decision based around his health. How very inconsiderate and inconvenient of him.

Yeah it seems something is off with Tomsula's program so far.

It's really amazing how quick the Niners went from having a Top 3 HC and a Top 3 Roster (IMO) to completely falling apart within a couple years, but that's the NFL and that's what makes it great.

If your a NBA fan (and Knicks fans in particular can relate) when you have a shltty team it's gonna take years upon years AND luck in the draft lottery to rebuild into true contenders. In the NFL you can go from a 1 win team to a division winner and SB threat in one year if you make the right moves......but the days of needing 3-4 years to rebuild (or collapse) in the NFL are over, which is a great thing as it gives every fan base hope (Unless you're a Raiders or Browns fan of course lol).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I agree.

First of all, if you've earned enough money at the age of 25/26 to retire and not have to work again the rest of your life as long as you invest and spend your money wisely than all the power to you.....God Bless. Sounds like he's putting his health and well being as his top priority, very smart and mature for his age.

Now secondly, what the hell is going on in San Francisco with all these early retirements? Willis was a shock, but you can understand once he explained his reasoning, plus he's played a fairly long career (7-8 years?). Justin Smith's retirement was not a shock or surprise as all......many saw that one coming and it was reported/rumored as early as the end of the regular season that he may decide to retire.

But then you have a very young guy coming off a successful rookie season in Borland choosing to retire. That was definitely a surprise, I don't think anyone other than maybe his immediate family could of saw that coming.

Now Davis is hanging it up (at least for a year). After a while you start to wonder if its not just a coincidence, and start to wonder if there's other reasons why this is happening to one team in particular. I have no idea what could be the cause behind these early retirements happening to one team, but whatever the hell is going on in San Francisco it isn't good for the 49ers and their fans.

I'll be curious to see if any of these guys speak out and give other reasons for their decisions besides just health.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The 9ers seem to be in a mess, and to me it's coming from the front office. Call Jim Harbaugh all you want. San Fransico was a joke under Mike Singletary, Jim turned Alex Smith into a decent QB, from a career of Mark Sanchez type numbers.

He moved on to Colin Kap, ok he seem to have slipped a little, but his team is going backward at a rate of knots I've never seen before.

The hires are real head scratchers Jim Tomsula, and Eric Mangini. Suck for Cardale Jones perhaps?

49ers are a train wreck & might be picking #1 in next years draft.

Kap might not make it out alive! Iupati gone, this guy, defense is gonna suck & they will be playing many games from behind which will force Kap to run a lot & take numerous hits. Who is his backup QB?

Maybe he should have played another sport. If I were afraid of being electrocuted, why would I work hard enough to become a licensed electrician?

MONEY!

The guys not a head case for quitting, he's a head case for waiting right before TC and screwing his teammates and the organization that has made you financially secure. He has every right to quit..... it's how you go about it that separates the mature from the immature.

Maybe he should have played another sport. If I were afraid of being electrocuted, why would I work hard enough to become a licensed electrician?

MONEY!

The guys not a head case for quitting, he's a head case for waiting right before TC and screwing his teammates and the organization that has made you financially secure. He has every right to quit..... it's how you go about it that separates the mature from the immature.

Your logic is quite stupid, frankly. Should police officers not be entitled to time away from their job when they have to discharge their weapon while in the line of duty? I mean, they understand the risks of the job when they sign up. They should know that the time might come where they have to shoot someone. Should firefighters not be entitled to time away after a traumatic experience or injury? Should subway conductors not be entitled to time away when someone might falls or throws themselves in front of train while they're on the job?

All of these jobs comes with significant risks and using your logic, the people doing them aren't entitled to any sympathy or time away because the job descriptions were well understood at the time of hiring. 

Your logic is quite stupid, frankly. Should police officers not be entitled to time away from their job when they have to discharge their weapon while in the line of duty? I mean, they understand the risks of the job when they sign up. They should know that the time might come where they have to shoot someone. Should firefighters not be entitled to time away after a traumatic experience or injury? Should subway conductors not be entitled to time away when someone might falls or throws themselves in front of train while they're on the job?

All of these jobs comes with significant risks and using your logic, the people doing them aren't entitled to any sympathy or time away because the job descriptions were well understood at the time of hiring. 

Police and Firemen are cut from a different cloth than a kid playing a game. You diminish their sacrifice and heroism by comparing it to a game. Firemen and cops get paid a pittance to rush into burning buildings and capture armed assailants. This kid gets paid $ millions to play an avg. of 63 offensive snaps per game for 16 games.  

Quite frankly I think you owe the cops and firemen an apology. Not even in the same ballpark. Davis played 7 games last year. You don't think 7 months of NOT playing is too little time?

Here's the real reason he's throwing the "retirement card" out there. He's not happy with his loss of money!!

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

Yeah.... he's to be applauded by guys like you.

Archived