" Pryor no longer ' ticked off, ' ready for correct position " ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Calvin Pryor thought the question was backward.

''Do I think I'm an intimidator?'' the New York Jets safety repeated. ''I want the other guy feeling that intimidation. I want that guy to know I'm a hitter. I don't want to say it ... but I play like my hair is on fire.''

Maybe this season, in a new defensive system and at a new, more comfortable position, that will come across to opponents. It didn't for much of Pryor's rookie season after the Jets made him a first-round draft pick.Pryor was a star strong safety at Louisville, but Rex Ryan and his coaching staff went with Pryor at free safety while veteran Dawan Landry held down the other spot. Although Pryor didn't agree with the decision, he wasn't about to say anything in his first NFL season.

Still ...

''Frustrated ? I was ticked off,honestly,'' Pryor said Tuesday as the Jets opened their minicamp.''They knew. At the same time, they had guys they wanted to play in certain situations. They had nobody to play free safety. I would go with the flow. I thought with drafting me, I would do the things I did in college.''They were the coaches and I had to listen to them. I was taking on every challenge and used the anger inside as motivation. By the end of the year, I got better.''He also got to play strong safety late in a 4-12 season that led to Ryan being fired and Todd Bowles replacing him as Jets coach. When Bowles told Pryor he was the team's starting strong safety for 2015, well, ''it was music to my ears.''

The Jets also brought in Marcus Gilchrist as the free safety. Not to mention seriously upgrading the cornerback spot, which was the NFL's weakest last season, by bringing back All-Pro Darrelle Revis and veteran Antonio Cromartie, plus adding Buster Skrine.Now, the team is as deep in the secondary as most anyone.That doesn't mean Pryor won't see some time at free safety, Bowles said.''He's going to have to play free and strong in this one, too,'' Bowles said. ''He did a lot of things that he did in college. Last year was his first year, you're going to have some growing pains. He made some good plays last year, he made some bad plays last year. Hopefully with the growth of the second year and studying and everything like that, I hope he gets better.''

Pryor already believes that has occurred. Sure, he's learning his second defensive system in as many NFL seasons. But he looks around and sees solid players everywhere. He looks in the mirror and sees the Calvin Pryor he wants to see.''I was thankful to be out there and getting playing time and experience under my belt in my rookie season,'' he said. ''I learned a lot from my first year that I can take to my second year. I want to prove the doubters wrong.''

The doubters ? Already ?

Pryor nodded, saying he'd seen tweets and heard comments that he was a bust.''It was nothing to take to heart, I know who I am,'' he said. ''I know I didn't have the best season as a rookie and I want to do better. I plan on it.''I know what I am capable of doing, which is making plays and beating my man for the ball.''Pryor also appreciates that Bowles not only is a former player, but a former defensive back. Bowles spent seven NFL seasons with the Redskins, one with the 49ers. He won a Super Bowl with Washington.

''He can relate, he played safety in the NFL,'' Pryor said. ''He knows how it is.''

> http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pryor-no-longer-ticked-off-ready-correct-position-063710458--nfl.html

I saw zero indication of this guy being a hitter last season.  

I've said this several times.  I get that he played out of position more often than not, but that shouldn't have prevented him from being able to lay people out when they did come his way.  Lots of missed and near-missed tackles from a guy who was supposed to be a punishing defender.

Actually, we did see it a little bit in the pre-season but it didn't translate once the starters were on the field.  I really  hope he finds his way under Bowles.

yes, it was absolutely retarded to take a strong safety in the first round.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic...I didn't mind the pick, I just thought he should have been left at SS...Rex was positive he'd be great at FS and it didnt work.

I saw zero indication of this guy being a hitter last season.  

He almost hit someone until the other guy waited for Pryor to leave his feet to dive head first.. and just side stepped him. But if he didn't move out of the way, boy I tell you, it was going to be a big hit.

I think the question needed to be asked is, CAN REX TEACH & COACH A YOUNG TEAM?

I think the answer is a big NO.

Give Rex a veteran squad & he can put in his schemes & succeed. Give him a bunch of young guys & he just doesn't have the makeup to be a TEACHER.

He really has led a charmed live as a DC & a coach in this league, first coaching the Ozzie Newsome defense of the Baltimore Ravens.

Talk about coaching a loaded roster.

Then he gets to the Jets, backs up the Bank to Bart Scott & signs a bunch of veterans. Revis made his job a lot easier with 2009 & 2010 might have been the best two years played by a CB in history! Revis shut out EVERY single number 1 receiving star.

Tough to win when your stud WR doesn't even total 3 catches.

When you look back to last year & see the injuries that Bowles had to deal with in Arizona & how he kept them playing hard, plus some of the young guys that improved under him, it's reasonable to think our defense is going to be really, really, good.

Pryor's almost in a no-win situation.  He'll need to become a top 5 safety for us not to regret taking him over his teammate Teddy Bridgewater.  And even then it might not be enough if Bridgewater goes starts winning playoff games with Minnesota.

Nothing can be done about that now, however.  And on the plus side, he's with the best possible coach to make strides in Year 2.  "Big hitter" safeties become big hitters partly by technique and developing the instincts to be in the right place at the right time, so a lot of his issues are fixable.  No sense at all in giving up on the kid after his first season.  He'll have solid corners ahead of him and is in a good system for a young, talented DB to be in. 

I've said this several times.  I get that he played out of position more often than not, but that shouldn't have prevented him from being able to lay people out when they did come his way.  Lots of missed and near-missed tackles from a guy who was supposed to be a punishing defender.

Actually, we did see it a little bit in the pre-season but it didn't translate once the starters were on the field.  I really  hope he finds his way under Bowles.

What happens is once you are out of position your confidence suffers and you begin to play a little tentatively and that is all it takes out there.  This isn't college and high school where sheer talent alone can cause you to stand out you must play fast with that ability in the NFL and for a rookie learning a new position that is all it takes to make you look bad.

And quite frankly he looked bad last season, hopefully he can improve.

What happens is once you are out of position your confidence suffers and you begin to play a little tentatively and that is all it takes out there.  This isn't college and high school where sheer talent alone can cause you to stand out you must play fast with that ability in the NFL and for a rookie learning a new position that is all it takes to make you look bad.

And quite frankly he looked bad last season, hopefully he can improve.

I worry about any player in the NY market who gets  their confidence shaken so easily.  Every player is going to make mistakes and fail at times, if criticism is going to make you doubt yourself and fall apart, you probably shouldn't be a pro athlete, and definitely shouldn't play in a big market.  JMO.

yes, it was absolutely retarded to take a strong safety in the first round.

Agreed. But if you absolutely must take one in the first round, it must be a can't miss. As far as last year went, it was a miss. What an awful draft that was - read everyone (back on JI at the time) give the Jets our annual "A" ... I was "ticked" that we didn't seriously draft OL or QB. Hopefully we're getting there.

- Calvin Pryor has a reputation for being a hitter, but the former first-round pick didn't make any Brownie points with Jets coach Todd Bowles, or his teammates, after getting a little rough in this week's minicamp.With players wearing no padding other than helmets, and practices supposed to be non-contact, the second-year safety got a little overly physical with some receivers the last two days, and one collision Wednesday with Zach Sudfeld knocked the tight end out of practice.Sudfeld sat out practice Thursday with what Bowles said was a knee injury. "He's running more tests, so obviously, it's more than just a minor injury," he said. "We're trying to see exactly what it is, and what's to be done."

Bowles spoke to Pryor after practice Wednesday, and on Thursday Pryor said he understood the coach's point. "It wasn't on purpose," Pryor said of the hit. "[bowles] said something to me, but at the same time, that's just the way I practice, and the way I play. But I do have to tone it down."

On Thursday, Pryor had another run-in, when he bumped solidly into Eric Decker after Decker caught a pass over the middle in 11-on-11 drills. Pryor insisted he didn't deliberately hit him: "I broke on the ball, made a play, and we were both there at the same time, and there just happened to be a collision."

Jets

He said no one spoke to him, except for Bowles, whom he said told him it was a "great play."Some of Pryor's veteran teammates didn't seem thrilled."It's player safety, at the end of the day," Darrelle Revis said. "And that goes for anybody on a team, in terms of -- we're not in pads. Simply try to . . . stay away from the quarterbacks -- that's the first rule; and then, kind of, you know, stay away from the receivers, and when there's deep balls thrown down the field, don't get tangled up."Asked what the value is in having a hard-hitting safety, Revis said there may be an intimidation factor on over-the-middle routes. But Antonio Cromartie said, "I mean, honestly, who cares about a reputation as a big hitter? . . . It's not always about the big hits, it's about making sure you're doing your job and your job only, and not trying to build off anyone else."\

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ask-calvin-pryor-to-save-the-big-hits-for-when-games-count-1.10533661

Not sure if you're being sarcastic...I didn't mind the pick, I just thought he should have been left at SS...Rex was positive he'd be great at FS and it didnt work.

not being sarcastic. taking a ss in round 1 is a move among many that got rex/idzik fired. right up there with taking a run blocking guard, a 3rd down back, and a kicker in the 1st. imo, even as a strong safty, I didn't see a first round grade in pryor. take away a coupla knock out hits, and you start to see 3rd,4th or later rounder. just so you know, I am not giving up on pryor. he may end up to be a good ss. just don't take em that early

Merely by going off his media quotes & soundbites, along with fine display of professionalism by taking out a teammate in non contact drills leads me to conclude Pryor is a HUGE F&CKING MORON who thinks he's Waaaaaaaaaay better than he is. A 1st round talent of a safety who can't even cover deep and take proper angles. It's early, but he's shown mush for brains

Pryor's almost in a no-win situation. He'll need to become a top 5 safety for us not to regret taking him over his teammate Teddy Bridgewater. And even then it might not be enough if Bridgewater goes starts winning playoff games with Minnesota.

Nothing can be done about that now, however. And on the plus side, he's with the best possible coach to make strides in Year 2. "Big hitter" safeties become big hitters partly by technique and developing the instincts to be in the right place at the right time, so a lot of his issues are fixable. No sense at all in giving up on the kid after his first season. He'll have solid corners ahead of him and is in a good system for a young, talented DB to be in.

Bridgewater nothin'. The pick was Brandin Cooks.

Calvin Pryor's rookie season ?

He wants you to forget about it. That, he believes, wasn't the real him, not even close to what he expects this year."[The fans] got to see whatever I put out on film, but I can promise you, it will be nothing like last year," he said confidently. "You'll see me making more plays and me being back to my old self, attacking the football any time I get a chance."Calvin Pryor's optimism is on high with his expected move back to strong safety.

Pryor's first year in the NFL was uneven, to be sure.

Drafted 18th overall by the New York Jets, he got plenty of on-the-job training, experience that will serve him well, but he didn't make many plays at all -- no interceptions, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries and a half-sack. He arrived with the reputation for being a big hitter, a tone setter in the Kam Chancellor mold, but there weren't any highlight-film moments.Because of an ill-conceived roster and a patchwork group of cornerbacks, Pryor played more free safety than strong safety, taking him out of his comfort zone. He played 523 snaps at free safety, only 88 at strong, according to ESPN Stats & Information. At Louisville, he was a "box" safety, playing close to the line of scrimmage, but he didn't get many opportunities because, well, the Jets had no natural free safeties. Somebody had to play it, and it wasn't going to be Dawan Landry, who didn't have the speed to cover the deep middle of the field.

Pryor said he was "ticked off" with his role, but he kept quiet. He was demoted for a few games late in the year due, in part, to showing up late for some meetings. The season was a long, sometimes difficult learning experience, but things started looking up in the offseason. The Jets revamped the secondary by signing cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine and safety Marcus Gilchrist. They, along with Pryor, will comprise the top five in the defensive backfield."It makes my job a whole lot easier, man, having those guys who can eliminate the outside," Pryor said. "It's a blessing to have those guys because I can learn a lot from them. Those guys have made numerous Pro Bowls and that's something I want to get accomplished. That's something I want to make happen."

Pryor never has lacked confidence. From Day 1, he talked like a seasoned veteran, self-assured in his ability. There will be no excuses in 2015. He's surrounded by a terrific cast and will start at strong safety, according to coach Todd Bowles, who was quick to note that Pryor won't be absolved of all free safety responsibilities."I think it will benefit him, just from the standpoint he's playing his natural position," Cromartie said. "That's where he likes to play, in the box. He gets to play in a comfortable spot."One adjustment could be man-to-man pass coverage, particularly against tight ends. Pryor vowed to be "up for the challenge." Mostly, he's excited about the diversity of the position. He'll be able to blitz, cover and defend the run, with middle-field and half-field responsibilities in zone coverage.

"I'll be moving around a lot," he said. "I'll be flying around and making plays."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51945/undaunted-by-shaky-rookie-year-jets-calvin-pryor-has-pro-bowl-aspirations

Calvin Pryor's rookie season ?

Pryor said he was "ticked off" with his role, but he kept quiet. He was demoted for a few games late in the year due, in part, to showing up late for some meetings.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51945/undaunted-by-shaky-rookie-year-jets-calvin-pryor-has-pro-bowl-aspirations

I thought this never happened?

Asked what the value is in having a hard-hitting safety, Revis said there may be an intimidation factor on over-the-middle routes. But Antonio Cromartie said, "I mean, honestly, who cares about a reputation as a big hitter? . . . It's not always about the big hits, it's about making sure you're doing your job and your job only, and not trying to build off anyone else."\

Pretty shocking, Cromartie dismissing physical play. 

Archived