Any take aways from tonight?

Freemanm

There's absolutely no defending Pryor. He's terrible!!! His so called "strength" in college is one of his biggest weaknesses. It's not about the system. The guy cannot tackle and that has nothing to do with the system. He had his opportunities that ******* scrub.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honest to god try to be as objective as possible in my sports watching, be it my teams or not.

The 'Geno could be...' narratives are seriously starting to piss me off. Nothing worse than a fingers crossed pom pom waver. There is zero evidence that this guy is an NFL starting caliber QB. Yeah yeah, Miami. Derp.

you guys do know there is both a new defense and a new offense being implemented and that this is the first real game action these guys have seen in those systems.

Settle the hell down ...Bowles put in vanilla schemes and he is evaluating players. if you want to talk about individual players like Pryor that's fine but people talking about the season being in the sh*tter need to take a step back and ******* relax.

Don't kill Pryor, they are all learning a new defense.

The pussification of NFL training camps and the CBA is why the team looked like sh*t tonight.  Watch the rest of the league, all teams look like sh*t, look no further than the Pats tonight, and that is with Brady and a team coming off of a SB.

Week 1 in pre-season

Team came away mostly healthy

Two brand new systems on both sides, plenty of kinks to work out

Jets had the added handicap of being punch drunk and raked through the coals in the media because of punch gate

Saw some good things in Petty, I liked how he handled himself out there, I thought he got confident as the game progressed, he's swimming, but I think we have something in him in the future, won't be ready this year, at least not the first half of the year...  Love his physical attributes, mechanics, throws a nice ball.  Best ball was on a play action roll out, faked on the out, looked down field, nothing there, went back to Posey.  He had some mojo with Posey.  Enumwa dropped a well thrown ball.

Maulden is going to be a beast

Reilly looked great

Powell, both of them

I liked what I saw of the DT Simon

WR is so much improved this year

Love Fitz, he's gritty, smart, a grinder, but not an NFL starter, we need Geno to respond, grow up, become a leader, and come back and take over this team if this team for this season is going to go anywhere...

Loved Bowels press conference, I'm going to camp on Sat, looking forward to the action, I think it will be an intense camp practice.

Schum is going to push Quigley

Liked the LB play overall

Williams and McDougle shined along with some bumps

Good late breaking news on the Geno front, this team needs him, fans need to get on board, let the kid grow up.

On to Atlanta

Everything you say is on the money but you can't say Fitzpatrick is not an NFL starter the guy has a 90 + passer rating that's much better than a lot of QB's and its worlds above what Geno Smith will ever accomplish. Saying this team needs Geno is hilarious I hope the guy never takes another snap for this football team because he makes dumb decisions on the field and now he makes dumb decisions in every aspect of his life which in the end = DUMB.

It was typical 1st pre-season game.

The 1st team offense only had 1 series.  They moved the ball well, I would expect them to play more next week against the Falcons.

The 1st team defense played poorly, they also played very briefly in the 1st quarter.

Bryce Petty played like a rookie QB in his first game, at least he didn't throw a pick, but he obviously needs a lot of work.

- #1 OLine was good

- Ivory's chemistry with the OLine was good

- Cumberland still knows how to kill a drive

- Fitzpatrick was good with the few reps he had

- Petty is in "QB school" and shouldn't see the field this year.  I liked that the staff

knows this and didn't put him into "harms way" by calling a ton of pass plays

- Defensive tackling was awful

My two cents: 

Our OL is good. Colon is still functional and Carpenter looks like he's a perfect fit. We'll have a run game. Fitz's arm strength will improve as his broken leg continues to strengthen.

Fitz has received a gift from the gods in inheriting a starting job for one last hurrah as he nears the end of his career. It's his job to lose and he is not going to lose it to the likes of Geno Smith.

Between the drops and the porous OL I thought petty did pretty good for his first game and for all the "he's unready" camp reports.

call me a cockeyed optimist, but if you put petty behind the 1st string o-line and give him all those weapons, i don't know how much worse he'd do than geno.  he seems to play 'faster' than geno did as a rookie.  there were a lot of bad performances in last night's game but petty's play really wasn't one of them, especially when you consider how awful some of sanchez/geno's games have been the past 6 years.  that's right, 6 years of turnovers.

The similarities between Pryor and K. Wilson are scary. Looks physically limited with zero instincts.

Meanwhile B Cooks is going to be a star, and Clinton Dix will be solid roaming centerfield for the Pack.

But you know, he smashed people's faces in, in college.

I wanted Cooks. Even Manziel looked good yesterday.

Phenomenal waste of a 1st round pick in a good draft.

Calvin Pryor should hit only one more person in his Jets career... Idziot. Pryor is so bad that he might even whiff on a 60 something year old man.

Then cut him.

But all is rosy in Rah Rah land!!!

I think everyone is overreacting to last nights game but I agree Pryor shouldn't be on the roster let alone starting.

There's no way Darrin Walls could perform worse at Strong Safety.

I thought Petty looked pretty good, but then they put up a stat line pretty late in the game that read 5/10 for 23 yards and I was like, wtf? He definitely suffered some drops, but a 2.3 ypa is beyond pathetic. Six first downs and 123 total yards in the whole game was tough to watch. Bill Powell looked great, Daryl Richardson looked like practice squad material - if that.

I get that it's the first preseason game with new systems being implemented on both sides of the ball. I also get that the team as a whole was sucker punched by Geno's broken jaw. That probably led to some of the lethargy out there. But that was an ugly performance. Next week needs to be a lot better than that - for their own confidence!

I thought Petty looked pretty good, but then they put up a stat line pretty late in the game that read 5/10 for 23 yards and I was like, wtf? He definitely suffered some drops, but a 2.3 ypa is beyond pathetic. Six first downs and 123 total yards in the whole game was tough to watch. Bill Powell looked great, Daryl Richardson looked like practice squad material - if that.

I get that it's the first preseason game with new systems being implemented on both sides of the ball. I also get that the team as a whole was sucker punched by Geno's broken jaw. That probably led to some of the lethargy out there. But that was an ugly performance. Next week needs to be a lot better than that - for their own confidence!

Slats is spot on , It was Psych 101 that it was predictable Jets would have some lethargy after week in press they had.. 

2-3 for 16 yards was it one drive?

Petty played the rest of the game and looked raw. Guy can't even hand off.

Coming from a spread most of them look like infants when handing off, LOL. How was his progression reads? Did he bail after Primary covered? More than likely I guess :(

Many things have been stated already, but the tackling was atrocious.  I'm sure this could be partially related to the turbelent week they've gone through, but I'm sure Bowles will have them banging heads next week.

Terrible game by Demario Davis, his job should be on the line at this point.  McDougle looks like he may be a legitimate reserve if he can stay healthy.  Love the energy from Mauldin; the penalty was garbage and he'll learn to work the refs.  Definitely think Petty has the tools and will progress.  Needs to look down field more and work on his footwork but we all knew this.  His receivers surely didn't help him. 

I expect a much better effort next week...

Most people couldn't draft as poorly as Idzik did if they tried. Two years' worth of picks pissed away.

Yep. Horrifying.

The philosophy was great. Build cap space, stockpile picks, build a talent nucleus through the draft... the execution put us right back into a rebuild. It's ******* dumbfounding.

My two cents: 

Fitz's arm strength will improve as his broken leg continues to strengthen.

I know you mean his base will be stronger & he'll be more confident stepping into his throws ... But initial reaction on reading this made me laugh :)

Archived