KRL

About Smith's recovery:

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc  · 8 hours ago

Do not anticipate problems with cadence, snap count or changing plays at line
of scrimmage for GENO SMITH @nyjets by week 1

He seems to think he'll be available much sooner than anticipated.  To me what 

would be interesting to see are the interactions between Smith and the rest of 

the locker room when he shows up in the next couple of days.  How do you get

back the respect of the veterans after you acted like an ass?

Ugh.

I fully expect Geno to still suck.

I really don't want to have to root for the guy. He inspires zero warm and fuzzies for me.

I want to build a small cabin in Ryan Fitzmagic's beard and call it my home.

Mangold, Brick, Revis and Harris are going to have to bring that locker room together and Geno is going to have to do a mea culpa.

I fully expect that to happen and it could bring the locker room closer together. Either way, Geno will not have enough practice time to be ready to start week 1 so Fitz should start the season. Which I think is perfect for the Jets. If Fitz does well, then great for the Jets and Geno will have time to heal fully and learn the new offense. If Fitz has a bad week or 2, Geno can come in and "save the day." There is always less pressure on the QB coming off the bench. 

The main concern I had after the injury wasn't that we had lost our franchise QB (because Geno has been awful) but that we lost QB depth. While Geno needs to do better, he is still a much better option than Tyler Thigpen etc..

If Geno comes back and plays well, the locker room will be fine.

Unfortunately, after missing all of preseason and a lot of practice time, I don't expect Geno to come back and play well.

He should need about two weeks before he can be back on the field working again, and possibly 3 weeks before practicing in full team drills with his red shirt on anyway...  He'l miss the 2-3 weeks, but he's been working all off-season, OTA's, mini-camp, and most of training camp before the injury and again after the 2-3 weeks off.

About Smith's recovery:

This ans dont forget to add the Vets who didnt climb over each other to issues statements of support for him.

I read another medical tweet Connor Hughes posted saying the 6-10 weeks is still valid.  Just because the jaw's not wired shut it still takes that long for bones to heal.  Unless they can put him in some special kind of helmet where the jaw isn't exposed...

Agree with alot of other sentiment here.  I've been pro-Geno but this one has me hanging one foot out the door.  Dunce...   :confused0058:

How do you get back the respect of the veterans after you acted like an ass?

That has been my point exactly. Geno seems a very unpopular person in the locker room. Why else did NO ONE try and intercede in this matter which took a few minutes to develop? I mean where was Mangold, Colon or ANYONE else while this was brewing? Obviously, Jets players are not sympathetic toward Geno since even guys like Revis have intimated that Geno brought it on himself. He needs to be very contrite and humble when he comes back. He needs to address the team like a man and try to be more of a leader and show some damn maturity. That is the missing ingredient to Geno Smith. 

About Smith's recovery:

We could get lucky.

Maybe Belichick will make a phone call - have another one of the Jet's clock him in exchange for picking up the guy on waivers.

Mangold, Brick, Revis and Harris are going to have to bring that locker room together.

Geno is going to have to do a heart felt mea culpa.

I agree. For Christ sakes Fitzpatrick plays ONE SERIES in Detroit and players are gushing about him. Geno has been here three years and not a peep from anyone. I had the Jets going 10-6 because of word that Geno was adapting to Chan Gailey's system very well. I have to admit I have to revise that to 6-10 now. I think Geno will be out until the bye at which time the Jets will be 1-3. Unless Geno can convince his teammates that he has matured from this incident he has no chance of regaining their respect. I hope Bryce Petty is the real thing because I think Geno has played his last season with the Jets.

That has been my point exactly. Geno seems a very unpopular person in the locker room. Why else did NO ONE try and intercede in this matter which took a few minutes to develop? I mean where was Mangold, Colon or ANYONE else while this was brewing? Obviously, Jets players are not sympathetic toward Geno since even guys like Revis have intimated that Geno brought it on himself. He needs to be very contrite and humble when he comes back. He needs to address the team like a man and try to be more of a leader and show some damn maturity. That is the missing ingredient to Geno Smith. 

First off, your assuming the locker room is always filled with players. Perhaps IK waited until the locker room was practically empty before asking Geno for the money. Perhaps many of  the vets were in the weight room. I like how you assume you know how a locker room operates. "If one guy is in the locker room, DUH they must all be in the locker room."

Second, even if the locker room was packed with players. Clearly this was a problem between 2  grown men. There wasn't much of a reason to think it would ever get this out of hand. You have 70 grown men in a locker room. You will occasionally get heated exchanges. I doubt guys in EVERY locker room break up every heated discussion. And I doubt the guys in the locker room ever thought it would lead to Geno's broken jaw. Maybe a few shoves...

Third, if Geno and IK were fighting for a few seconds and no one broke it up, MAYBE you would have an argument, but this fight took all of a half a second. 

In the age of twitter, everyone is an expert and knows exactly what is happening in a closed locker room based on 1 or 2 leaked reports. You have NO IDEA what happened in that locker room.

I read another medical tweet Connor Hughes posted saying the 6-10 weeks is still valid.  Just because the jaw's not wired shut it still takes that long for bones to heal.  Unless they can put him in some special kind of helmet where the jaw isn't exposed...

Agree with alot of other sentiment here.  I've been pro-Geno but this one has me hanging one foot out the door.  Dunce...   :confused0058:

us-bank-pay-a-person-giant-helmet-large-

I agree. For Christ sakes Fitzpatrick plays ONE SERIES in Detroit and players are gushing about him. Geno has been here three years and not a peep from anyone. I had the Jets going 10-6 because of word that Geno was adapting to Chan Gailey's system very well. I have to admit I have to revise that to 6-10 now. I think Geno will be out until the bye at which time the Jets will be 1-3. Unless Geno can convince his teammates that he has matured from this incident he has no chance of regaining their respect. I hope Bryce Petty is the real thing because I think Geno has played his last season with the Jets.

Who the hell is gushing over 16 yards passing ? Lmaoo wow

About Smith's recovery:

If Geno is truly a changed man after this incident this is what I'd expect.

First day back at the facilities call your own Locker Room meeting, bring in all the players, all the coaches and the rest of the staff.  Stand tall and look them in the eyes and Apologize to everyone in the organization and explain that his time away getting healed has allowed him some clarity.  Apologize to everyone for not just this incident but for how he has conducted himself over the course of the last two years and promise to each and every one of them that he has grown up, is taking responsibility for his actions and that he doesn't expect to have their respect today but will earn it as quickly as they are willing through my action on and off the field.  I promise you I will be the first one here and last one to leave every day from this point forward.

If he is man enough to do this, no excuses, just own up to the mistakes and tell your colleagues you won't let them down again, he will be accepted back and should be at the bottom of the roster and work his way back up.

If Geno is truly a changed man after this incident this is what I'd expect.

First day back at the facilities call your own Locker Room meeting, bring in all the players, all the coaches and the rest of the staff. Stand tall and look them in the eyes and Apologize to everyone in the organization and explain that his time away getting healed has allowed him some clarity. Apologize to everyone for not just this incident but for how he has conducted himself over the course of the last two years and promise to each and every one of them that he has grown up, is taking responsibility for his actions and that he doesn't expect to have their respect today but will earn it as quickly as they are willing through my action on and off the field. I promise you I will be the first one here and last one to leave every day from this point forward.

If he is man enough to do this, no excuses, just own up to the mistakes and tell your colleagues you won't let them down again, he will be accepted back and should be at the bottom of the roster and work his way back up.

If we are making wild guesses about exactly what happened, I am more worried that Geno was in a heated dispute and let himself get blasted in the jaw. It shows poor situational awareness. I am more concerned with that than Geno "bringing it on himself."

Really... Geno showing poor situational awareness? say it ain't so.

Archived