Rex Ryan thread, week 4 edition

Bruce Harper

The difference is, the Bills players just spent the last two seasons kicking Rex's ass, so he had to come in and prove that he wasn't an assclown. Instead, he filled the locker room with douchebags, spent the summer sprinting around town to every photo op he could get, and proceeded to get destroyed by the Pats early on. In 09 and 10, he was an unknown quantity so he could sell the players on this idea that there was some as-yet untapped well of answers in his head. In Buffalo, those players know he's an attention-whoring a$$hole who's surrounded himself with Yes men. 

And they have spent 6 months watching a complete zero named  Jeff Weeks pretend to be a DL coach wander around the lockerroom doing nothing acting like he has a substantial role in their business.

This could be the most fiction ever crammed into a bio; should read "Drinks Coors Light in strip bars with HC"-

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/weeks_jeff/4a74ddea-b444-45e7-bca9-3f53b6fdcbae

Weeks enters his first year with the Bills and his eighth year in the NFL. Weeks spent six seasons with the Jets in a variety of roles on the defensive side of the ball. From 2013-2014 Weeks served as a defensive assistant and defensive line/linebackers coach. In his second season (2010) on the Jets staff, Weeks worked under former assistant head coach/linebackers coach Bob Sutton with the specific task of tutoring the outside linebackers on their assignments and techniques. Weeks originally joined the Jets in 2009 and helped the team advance to the AFC championship game. Initially a defensive assistant, he focused on the de­fensive line for the second half of the season. He served as a defensive assistant during the 2008 season with the Raiders. Weeks coached with Rex Ryan in college at Morehead State (1990-91) and at Oklahoma (1998). He also coached collegiately at Texas A&M-Kingsville (2005-06), Southeastern Oklahoma State (2005), Trinity Valley (Texas) CC (2000-04), Fort Scott (Kansas) CC (1999), Glendale (Arizona) CC (1997) and Phoenix (Arizona) CC (1996).

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marone really has no reason to want to stick it to the Bills.  He left on his own volition and is collecting a pretty hefty pay check (from the Bills) for a period of one year and for doing nothing>

He is? I didn't know that.

I'd think if he quits then he forfeits his paycheck. That he only gets paid if he's coaching the Bills or if they fired him while he was still under a guaranteed contract. 

I'd think if he quits then he forfeits his paycheck. That he only gets paid if he's coaching the Bills or if they fired him while he was still under a guaranteed contract. 

He's  collecting a pay check Sperm.  He was able to get a clause in his contract that would pay him one year if he decided to walk.  It had something to do with new ownership.  

Here's the article that guarantees Marrone a salary if he walks 

exceprt:  Marrone's clause also allows him to walk away with his 2015 guaranteed base salary of $4 million without it counting as an offset against any future salary even if he should land another job, sources said. Marrone now is free to negotiate with any team seeking a head coach.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

I agree Blake in that all players and coaches want to stick it to the teams they just left.  I think Bills' players want to stick it to Marone for the way he left them so it should make for an interesting game.  

That's my only point.  It's an interesting subplot considering what's happening currently with the Bills.  Losing to an inferior opponent, dropping below .500 heading in the bye, fact that Marrone is there (and Izdik for that matter), players going public with frustration, etc.  Has the potential to make for an interesting 2 weeks should they lose this one.  I also think Marrone wants to prove to people that he had a lot to do with the Bills being 9-7 last year.  Will help his resume if Bills regress and his new team gets a W.  You know he wants to be a HC again...

Unfortunately with Rex, for better or worse, you get all these side issues swirling around his teams.  Winning is hard enough when you don't have all these others issues to deal with...

I am actually scared for Rex. 

I listened to him and his presser and he lacked any confidence for real, he could have a break down.

IMO Buffalo fans already, way way to prematurely are saying that he has lost the team.

For example:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?520003-Marcell-Dareus-questions-Rex-Ryan-dropping-him-back-in-coverage

mgamer45

"Rex clearly had lost control of this team
He is being questioned on both sides of the ball.
Marrone didn't even get questioned, neither did Gailey or Jauron
So much for a players coach lol
What s nightmare this has become."

What is interesting the players on the Jets never questioned Rex openly and I mean never!!!

So this is unchartered territory for Rex and it makes me nervous..

I loved Rex, and thought I'd care about how he did at his next stop, but funny enough, once the season started, I didn't care one bit.  I don't think he's a bad person, but I have no reason to hope for him to do anything good or bad.  Just beat the Pats and lose to the Jets every chance he gets.  The rest is, meh.

That's my only point.  It's an interesting subplot considering what's happening currently with the Bills.  Losing to an inferior opponent, dropping below .500 heading in the bye, fact that Marrone is there (and Izdik for that matter), players going public with frustration, etc.  Has the potential to make for an interesting 2 weeks should they lose this one.  I also think Marrone wants to prove to people that he had a lot to do with the Bills being 9-7 last year.  Will help his resume if Bills regress and his new team gets a W.  You know he wants to be a HC again...

Unfortunately with Rex, for better or worse, you get all these side issues swirling around his teams.  Winning is hard enough when you don't have all these others issues to deal with...

I forgot Idzik was with the Jags.  

You are absolutely right about Rex's side issues.  Here's an excerpt/quote that Ryan made about our defense speaking out.  Now,  this ticks me off. 

I’ve been cussed at by better than them, so it’s fine,” Ryan said, adding that he was willing to “bet anybody who’s willing to bet” on where his defense will finish the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/21/rex-ryan-defends-his-defense-says-hes-ready-to-flush-the-toilet/

You are absolutely right about Rex's side issues.  Here's an excerpt/quote that Ryan made about our defense speaking out.  Now,  this ticks me off.

I’ve been cussed at by better than them, so it’s fine,” Ryan said, adding that he was willing to “bet anybody who’s willing to bet” on where his defense will finish the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/21/rex-ryan-defends-his-defense-says-hes-ready-to-flush-the-toilet/

Hey I am not sure why this ticks you off; Rex has a BIG EGO and does not change his schemes easily.

Hey I am not sure why this ticks you off; Rex has a BIG EGO and does not change his schemes easily.

I am ticked off because he's talking about our outstanding (some pro-bowlers) players and team.  His remarks were totally unwarranted.

I am ticked off because he's talking about our outstanding (some pro-bowlers) players and team.  His remarks were totally unwarranted.

Usually he's very defensive of his players.  He must be ticked off at the D-Line guys' comments about scheme.  Usually D-Linemen love Rex.  He's officially gone off the deep end.

Usually he's very defensive of his players.  He must be ticked off at the D-Line guys' comments about scheme.  Usually D-Linemen love Rex.  He's officially gone off the deep end.

He looked pretty shaken up on his post game interview on Sunday.  Wonder if something is going on.

He looked pretty shaken up on his post game interview on Sunday.  Wonder if something is going on.

As I said before I am actually concerned for him.  I think he could suffer a  break down if things don't right themselves for him and the team.

Also Rex never had players of the stature on Buffalo call him out publically before.

Here's the article that guarantees Marrone a salary if he walks 

exceprt:  Marrone's clause also allows him to walk away with his 2015 guaranteed base salary of $4 million without it counting as an offset against any future salary even if he should land another job, sources said. Marrone now is free to negotiate with any team seeking a head coach.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

Lol

So in effect they're paying some $9.5M for Ryan to coach the team this season, and then $5.5M guaranteed for the next 4 seasons thereafter.

Delicious. 

Of course there is.  A guy with a big ego comes in promising an improvement on a 4th-ranked defense.  Professional, elite D-linemen hate the scheme and the result the D is getting.  Naturally that's going to cause tension.  Again, one of the many reason we told you not to get your hopes up about the Rex Ryan era. 

Of course there is.  A guy with a big ego comes in promising an improvement on a 4th-ranked defense.  Professional, elite D-linemen hate the scheme and the result the D is getting.  Naturally that's going to cause tension.  Again, one of the many reason we told you not to get your hopes up about the Rex Ryan era. 

I'd like to see us to go back to 4-3 but some of the posters here don't think this is going to happen.

Lol

So in effect they're paying some $9.5M for Ryan to coach the team this season, and then $5.5M guaranteed for the next 4 seasons thereafter.

Delicious. 

I don't think Ryan has the same contract.  From what I understand,  Marrone wanted the 1 year buyout because of the new ownership.  

As I said before I am actually concerned for him.  I think he could suffer a  break down if things don't right themselves for him and the team.

Also Rex never had players of the stature on Buffalo call him out publically before.

I think we'll know better on Sunday.  If we beat the Jags by  24-30 points,  Rex got it right.  If we scrape by with 3 points, we're in trouble.

I'd like to see us to go back to 4-3 but some of the posters here don't think this is going to happen.

Whether it does or does not happen is largely irrelevant.  This is big picture stuff we're talking about.  Rex is already pissing off the wrong people 6 weeks into his tenure. 

Whether it does or does not happen is largely irrelevant.  This is big picture stuff we're talking about.  Rex is already pissing off the wrong people 6 weeks into his tenure. 

Sometimes one has to hit rock bottom before they come up.  Let's hope some good has come out of the complaints.  The team had 8 hours on a plane to talk about this along with a day off yesterday.  Maybe something can be done.  I don't think Rex has lost his team completely.  Above all,  I hope this can get fixed.

What's going on is that Rex is exactly what we told you he would be.  He's a one-trick below-average NFL head coach whose mouth is bold enough to sell out two stadiums but whose brain is not big enough to develop into anything else.  He was passed over in Baltimore, he was run out of town in New York, he's off to a terrible start in Buffalo.

And Rex's struggles on defense up there shouldn't shock anyone either.  It's easy to see that Ryan is not head coaching material, but the myth of Rex The Great Defensive Mind takes a bit of studying to debunk.  The Jets offensive woes under Ryan were legendary, but look at our defense from 2011 to 2014 and we were even worse on that side of the ball-  when you burn every good draft pick and every last cap dollar on the D for half a decade and you have someone with Rex Ryan's supposed pedigree, it was a disgrace.

I feel bad for the fans in Buffalo as you're a proud organization and deserve better than this.  It's the Emperors New Clothes with Rex, always has been.

SAR I

Sounds like he's really been humbled, ready to put up and shut up

"The team traveled to London without wideout Percy Harvin this week because of a personal issue Ryan would not delve into. Though he has not officially ruled Harvin out, it sounded like there was an expectation that Harvin might not make it to London at all. Harvin was on the injury report with a hip injury last week, but Ryan says this issue is unrelated."

"The Harvin situation will be interesting to keep tabs on this week as Ryan was adamant about avoiding any further questions."

Dun, Dun-Dun-Dun....DuNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

"Since his first day as an NFL head coach, Rex Ryan only had one rule with his players when it came to speaking with the media: Mention two other players and an assistant coach.

This was his way of rationalizing a muzzle-free approach and, on the eve of his first practice here in England, it was a perfect transition into a joke about Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus, the two highest-paid players on his defense who also happen to be his most vocal critics.

"I never put a muzzle on a player, or whatever," Ryan said of the recent criticism from Dareus and Williams that he's not attacking enough. "It's a free country, you're allowed to speak. As long as they mention two players and a coach in there -- I mean, they got the coach. Not very flattering, but sometimes that happens. And in the heat of the battle, we're so competitive."

So in a way, the solace provided by their hotel, a country club resort almost an hour outside of London, was welcome. He said they planned it this way -- another joke to deflect the fact that Buffalo is 3-3, nestled firmly in third place in the AFC East.

Ryan always seems to be dodging fire but at least this week he's doing it on acres of perfectly tailored grass. He held his press conference Wednesday morning in a green house. The Bills will be practicing just a few hundred yards from a golf course and trees a quarter-mile high.

It was a break from the constant rotating circle of Ryan-isms. When things are good, his lidless locker room is a non-stop factory of steam and bravado. When things go bad, they go bad quickly and publicly.

When asked if his defense has ever come under this much scrutiny before, Ryan grabbed at the podium.

"No I am not. I am definitely irritated, but I think when I was at Morehead State years ago, that one writer there ..."

More laughs.

"Quite honestly, I make fun of it because I know where we're going to end up. Guys, I'd be willing to bet anybody."

So it goes for the Bills head coach. He'll be here all week."

Same old Rex, same old media lapping it up.  "Hey Fred, lets go out for beer I am done early, this stuff writes itself!"

"The team traveled to London without wideout Percy Harvin this week because of a personal issue Ryan would not delve into. Though he has not officially ruled Harvin out, it sounded like there was an expectation that Harvin might not make it to London at all. Harvin was on the injury report with a hip injury last week, but Ryan says this issue is unrelated."

"The Harvin situation will be interesting to keep tabs on this week as Ryan was adamant about avoiding any further questions."

One of our players didn't have a passport.  Could be Harvin

Lol

Delicious. 

the pegulas can afford it

As much as everyone hates Rex now they needed to hire him to inject energy into their franchise and their attendance is up this year.

the pegulas can afford it

As much as everyone hates Rex now they needed to hire him to inject energy into their franchise and their attendance is up this year.

I'm not sure the fans hate Rex -  just very disappointed at the moment.  

Dareus and Mario Williams are nearly uncoachable dudes. They're not going to fall for some rah-rah bullsh*t. 

The second Harvin faced even a little bit of adversity, he was going to fold it up. That dude has to be gnawing at the walls in that locker room at this point.

The second Harvin faced even a little bit of adversity, he was going to fold it up. That dude has to be gnawing at the walls in that locker room at this point.

There's one Bills player that couldn't go because he didn't have a passport.  The fact that Harvin still may play is an indication that it may be Harvin without the passport and something is being done to get it so he can still make the game.  Who really knows though.  They are not talking about it.

Archived