Rex Ryan thread, week 4 edition

Bruce Harper

I think its probably a week to week thing.  they haven't played any 4-3 ?  no 46 ?

No, just 3-4 and our Mario Williams was complaining about that.  Rex made mention  that he would look into it.  I was hoping this meant he would change the scheme.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all utter nonsense.  in the 2nd playoff game against the colts he came out in base nickel, dared them to run it, and played coverage with very little blizting

rex is a mediocre HC, but lets not play revisionist history here and pretend he didn't coach his ass off on D

Vs SD he played zone in the 1st half, player straight man the second half.

Agreed, Rex did enough stupid shlt here, why make up stuff that isn't true.  

No, just 3-4 and our Mario Williams was complaining about that.  Rex made mention  that he would look into it.  I was hoping this meant he would change the scheme.

well that is strange.  most NFL QB's will start to pick you apart when they get a feel for what you are doing, you have to mix it up

well that is strange.  most NFL QB's will start to pick you apart when they get a feel for what you are doing, you have to mix it up

Something is wrong with the defense.  We have almost all the guys we had last year and we are not looking so good now.  

Yes.

Ouch... It really is a shame. Rex could have been something special had he possessed the ability to learn and evolve as a coach as he went along. 

I feel for you Bills fans. You deserve better... Looks like you'll be stuck with him for the next few years though.

They've figured out that the emperor has no clothes pretty quickly.  Ouch.

Ryan talks good game, but has no answers

By Bucky Gleason

If you didn’t know any better, you would have thought Rex Ryan had just returned from the schoolyard with his shirt torn and lip bloodied Sunday. Suddenly gone was the swagger and confidence that extended across Bills Nation and the bravado that had come to define him.

Ryan looked and sounded like a humbled man after watching the Bengals deliver a convincing smack down in a 34-21 victory over the Bills in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

He rode the injury excuse for all he could in a shallow attempt to make Buffalo’s shoddy performance easier to swallow than overall failure.

The same man who refused to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings practically gushed over a Cincinnati team that hasn’t won a playoff game in a quarter century. He moaned about his players taking dumb penalties, of course, and accepted blame for not effectively using all four members of his Quarter Billion Club.

Mistakes?

“I can’t count right now how many real mistakes we made,” Ryan said. “Maybe one or two on defense.”

Only one or two? Did he mean one or two dozen? The Bills gave up 34 points and allowed the Bengals to score four touchdowns on four trips to the red zone. Imagine the unsightliness if they made three or four against the Bengals. They might have lost by 50.

It was just Rex being Rex, of course, unfiltered as usual. He wasn’t kidding anyone but himself. He certainly didn’t fool the 69,593 watching from the stands and across Western New York and beyond.

How about we cut through the nonsense and face the cold and simple truth: For all his bluster, the Bills are no better under Ryan through six weeks than they were last season while finishing 9-7 under Doug Marrone. And they might actually be worse when all the variables are considered.

Look at the results.

It was as if somebody pulled back the curtain on the wizard Sunday, revealing that Ryan is like many coaches who rolled through Buffalo and ultimately failed over the last 15 seasons. Ryan talks a good game, but he hasn’t come up with any real answers to turn this team into a playoff team.

Buffalo is fortunate to be 3-3 going into the Jacksonville game in London, which is no gimme. Tyrod Taylor came to the rescue in the fourth quarter last week against Tennessee. The Titans were blown out Sunday by the Dolphins, who were an utter mess and fired their coach shortly after the Bills beat them. It’s much harder to find seven wins than it was a week ago.

Ryan pressed all the right buttons when he was hired. He had a pulse of the community and Bills fans in the palm of his hand. People gave him the benefit of doubt because they desperately wanted to believe in him. Bills fans are a hearty and forgiving bunch, but they don’t take kindly to getting snowed.

Rex doesn’t understand the idea that the very people who embraced him two months ago will turn on him in a heartbeat. You have to wonder how many are running out of patience with Rex and nearing their breaking point. The Bills’ performance Sunday unveiled a team far from playoff contention no matter their record.

To be clear, the Bills’ loss to the undefeated Bengals wasn’t shocking. It was expected. It wasn’t that they lost but how they lost that served as a swift kick to the stomach.

Their vaunted defense failed to produce a sack. Andy Dalton had enough time to drop back and take a nap on several passing plays.

The truth about Rex is starting to emerge.

Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes made it abundantly clear that they’re not thrilled with the defensive scheme. Williams delivered the message Sunday while reiterating how players can only execute the defenses called from the sidelines. They should be frustrated. They know good defense. The Bills had an elite unit last season.

And that falls on Rex. He’s the head coach. He has been hailed as a defensive whiz. He practically screamed from the rooftops that the Bills would be better on defense than they were last year. It’s laughable, along with the idea that the Bills would be committed to running the ball.

Ryan claimed he never used the term “ground and pound” but the implication was obvious. The Bills were making a concerted effort to play smash-mouth football.

So far, there has been too much mouth and not enough smash. Looking back, it all sounds like senseless blather.

The offense still isn’t good enough to become a playoff team, and the defense doesn’t compare to last year’s unit. The special teams are among the worst in the league. The Bills can’t get through a game without somebody taking a mind-blowing penalty on one of their coverage teams.

Ron Brooks had the honors Sunday when he was flagged for taunting Adam Jones after making a tackle on punt coverage. What, did little Ronnie forget to wear his “yes sir” reminder bracelet? It was unnecessary, unintelligent and unprofessional. And it has become typical.

The Bills might as well use a picture of Brooks standing over Jones in their marketing campaign. After all, it’s a reflection of what they have become under Ryan and his coaching staff, which is either unwilling or incapable of instilling the discipline required to win consistently in this league.

If players can’t control their emotions after getting juvenile reminders such as bracelets and pushups, maybe they don’t belong in the NFL.

Then again, if the Bills cut everyone who committed a ridiculous penalty, they would play shorthanded. The Bills took three penalties on one kickoff in a loss to the Patriots. Last week, they had a fumble recovery on the opening kickoff wiped out when Marcus Easley was called for offside.

And then there’s Denarius Moore, who called a fair catch at his own 4-yard line in another embarrassing moment Sunday. Let me guess, he wanted to spare the Bills the indignity of the Bengals downing the ball at the 3. Mindless mistakes like that make you wonder if the players are getting the proper guidance.

It starts with Ryan, who was humbled Sunday in defeat.

And he looked the part.

Good post.  I'm no fan of Rex...but they've had a tough schedule so far.  They're 3-3 but lost to likely the two best teams in the AFC.  The Jets have yet to play a team with a winning record.

As a Jet fan right now, it's tough to boast considering who we've played and who they've played.

Bill's are still a good team and going to be in this thing at the end of the year.

Exactly Fidelio.   The real test for the Jets will be this Sunday when they play the Patriots.  The Bills have a fairly easy schedule over the next month when playing the Jags, having a bye week, then the Dolphins.    By the time we play the Patriots again,  I hope that Ryan makes some adjustments to the dline scheme and the majority of our injured players should be back.  

Sorry, I can't agree with this line of argument. Winning teams win because they beat the losing teams. Dolphins and Colts would both have winning records if we'd lost to them in our games. Skins would be at 0.500.

If Bills had won those games they'd be on the same record as the Bengals & Patsies. You make yourself a winner, you don't rely on playing lowly opponents.

It's not over till the fat lady sings.  The Jets should take note of this because you have some tough games ahead of you.

We won't blame the schedule though.  If the Bills were what you and Rex said they were they should be 4-2.  Or injuries.  We have one loss and we don't blame it on Ivory and Decker being out.  We blame it on other things.  

Tough schedules are crutches.  We could lose this Sunday, the season isn't over, you suck it up, practice and get ready for the Raiders.  No excuses.  No crying that the schedule is hard and we have injuries.  

Sorry, I can't agree with this line of argument. Winning teams win because they beat the losing teams. Dolphins and Colts would both have winning records if we'd lost to them in our games. Skins would be at 0.500.

If Bills had won those games they'd be on the same record as the Bengals & Patsies. You make yourself a winner, you don't rely on playing lowly opponents.

I think that's a naive and a "talking heads" concept.  Of course it matters who you play.  The reality is it's harder to beat good teams than bad ones.  

I'm not saying the Jets are bad, because yes - you can only beat the teams in front of you...But teams like the Pats and Bengals (this year) are top teams and harder to beat than the Redskins and Browns -  Had the Jets had the same schedule as the Bills I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar records.

The only point I'm making (as a Jet fan) is that I wouldn't go counting the Bills out because they're 3-3.  They have a softer schedule coming up.

Buffalo writers continue the hammer job, interesting bolded parts:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/20/time-for-ryan-to-show-he-can-coach/

As the Cincinnati Bengals hung a cool 34 points on Rex Ryan’s defense, one conversation from Canton, Ohio, came to mind. Back in August, the legendary John Madden was hanging out in the lobby of the McKinley Grand Hotel at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He was asked about the new Buffalo Bills head coach.

“Well,” Madden said, “I saw him eat a dog biscuit.”

Indeed, he did.

Ryan is a blast. A showman. Forget one wall — players will ram through three for this guy. A few moments later, fellow Hall-of-Famer Jonathan Ogden shared the story of Ryan crashing into him during a pass rush drill. But if bluster and energy and emotion won games alone, Vince McMahon’s phone would be ringing off the hook each January.

“Ultimately, eventually you have to coach and win games,” Madden continued. “And I think he’s a good coach. I’m saying that out of respect. But that’s going to define him. Not something else.”

So right about now is when a good coach would make wholesale adjustments.

Sunday’s 34-21 crash landing to reality should be humbling for Ryan. As his replacement flies high — Todd Bowles’ New York Jets are 4-1 — his Bills are talking about “miscommunication” and “tackling” and saying “whatever’s called is called” in Week Six. Not training camp. Week Six. Troubling rhetoric for fans’ to stomach. Dubbed the ultimate player’s coach, it’s now time for Ryan to listen to his players and attack.

Quarterbacks Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Andy Dalton ripped Ryan’s defense for 921 yards, nine touchdowns, one interception and a 105.1 passer rating through three straight embarrassments at home, providing more than enough evidence that major change is needed.

If not, the Bills will plod through an all-too-familiar 7-9 campaign. It’ll just have more dog biscuits and podium-pounding than the Dick Jauron days.

Where do you start?

To hold back the 6-foot-6, 292-pound Mario Williams is lunacy and, as Williams hinted, an awful business investment. Not many defensive gurus tap the brakes on a 10-year pro with 93 career sacks, one who dumped New York’s Rashad Jennings like Tuesday’s trash and proved all training camp he’s still in elite physical condition. Whatever the alignment — 3-4 or 4-3 — Ryan must think about the pass rush above all else with Williams, Jerry Hughes and Marcell Dareus. Too often against Cincinnati, they were asked to read, react, two-gap or drop.

Ryan inherited three of the most physically imposing specimens in the game. Let them go.

To not unleash 5-foot-8, 165-pound Nickell Robey (and others) on blitzes is playing scared. Remember all the talk about shooting the nickel cornerback through gaps with abandon? Oh, the Bills were content sending three vs. Dalton. Ryan outta just go ahead and hit the “delete” button on his three-man fronts.

And to run a defense loaded with complicated checks without safety Aaron Williams is careless. Over-thinking before the snap sounds like an issue.

Under Jim Schwartz last season, when a call came in, the Bills typically stuck to that call. Under Ryan, a play can have six or seven checks. That can create beautiful confusion for an offense (see: Luck, Andrew). But, it can also confuse the defense — especially when teams go up-tempo and especially when the Bills play at home in front of 70,000-plus screaming at full throat. Before Sunday’s game, Preston Brown noted this looming dilemma. Then, after Dalton threw for 243 yards, three touchdowns and wasn’t sacked, fellow inside linebacker Nigel Bradham confirmed that defensive backs didn’t get the calls at times.

On third downs, Bradham said players had problems with their hand signals — adding “that’s on us.”

Losing Aaron Williams to the neck injury, you’d think, would persuade Ryan to simplify the pre-snap process. Yet despite inheriting a unit that was already one of the NFL’s best and despite the injuries, confusion and passivity reigned supreme this day.

“We’ve got the playmakers,” Bradham said. “I like every one last of our guys over any other guy. We just have to finish— finish.”

The head coach isn’t adjusting to his personnel; he’s forcing the personnel to adjust to him. In 2014, the Bills excelled under Schwartz’s 4-3. In 2013, they were solid under Mike Pettine’s 3-4. Asked about Pettine after one hot August practice, Ryan gloated that he doesn’t “We don’t coach out of the book. We invented the book.” Got it. He also said then that the scheme is “ever changing, ever developing.” Alright. Across the pond, we’ll see if he is up for change.

The defensive tackle likely replacing the injured Kyle Williams at defensive tackle, vet Corbin Bryant, said Buffalo must “self-scout.”

“We have to look at what teams are doing to us and find a way to combat that,” Bryant said. “It seems like every team is going after us in similar ways. We have to figure out how to get around that and play to our strengths — we have to dictate the tempo.”

With aggression. With blitzing. With press coverage. And without juggling an encyclopedia of calls.

The common complaint from Ryan and his coordinator, Dennis Thurman, is that quarterbacks are getting the ball out in less than two seconds as if it’s some breakthrough scientific discovery. Well, this same defense took on Aaron Rodgers’ quick release last season and the MVP quarterback had a pathetic 34.3 passer rating. No, three-step drops will not burn Buffalo long term.

“Those short passes won’t beat you,” Bryant said. “We have to learn that those passes won’t be us — those four- and five-yard passes. It’s the ones that are 10 and 15 yards that are killing us. We just have to work on that, stay calm out there and make sure teams aren’t hitting us for the big plays.”

A year ago, Schwartz cycled in a second wave of pass rushers that kept the entire group fresh. Bryant agreed that’s one way to get pressure.

Then, he thought big picture.

“The other way is to just put guys into position to make plays,” he said. “There’s more than one way to skin a cat.”

What’s left of this battered team immediately boarded a plane to London. After the loss, Bradham cautioned repeatedly that it’s a long, long season. He believes the Bills’ defense will be just fine and maybe he’s right. But the last three home games, 11 impostors took the field.

There’s only one person to look at: the new sheriff in town. Ryan loves to spin mid-week drama into a joke during a team meeting and effectively take heat off of his players publicly.

Now, he should invite the likes of Mario Williams to his makeshift office this week to talk shop.

The forever-farcical Jacksonville Jaguars should be precisely what the football gods ordered.

Right?

The only point I'm making (as a Jet fan) is that I wouldn't go counting the Bills out because they're 3-3.  They have a softer schedule coming up.

I agree with this but you have to concede there's a right way to lose and a wrong way.  You play a good game and you lose to the other team because they are better is one thing.  How Buffalo seems to be losing and the rising level of dysfunction that seems to be creeping in is a totally different situation...

I agree with this but you have to concede there's a right way to lose and a wrong way.  You play a good game and you lose to the other team because they are better is one thing.  How Buffalo seems to be losing and the rising level of dysfunction that seems to be creeping in is a totally different situation...

Yes, Rex seems to have brought the circus with him..Lack of discipline, media leaks, too much talk from the players...we've all seen that story before...

But with the talent on that team they're going to beat the bad teams in this league...And this year there are a lot of them.

Yes, Rex seems to have brought the circus with him..Lack of discipline, media leaks, too much talk from the players...we've all seen that story before...

But with the talent on that team they're going to beat the bad teams in this league...And this year there are a lot of them.

I agree.  The Bills, with Wrecks at the helm, will beat themselves often this year.;)

Wait, you guys still talk about Rex on here... have threads about him? LOL

It is our gift to the Buffalo fans, a cautionary tale.  There are still bumpkins on this site and bufflao fans that think he is still be all end all, it is our morale duty to root out this evil.  Guess what?  We also have the odd deflate-gate thread as well.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: I'm proud of the way this team played. I'll take a team with fight regardless of penalties.

Rex loves them fighters almost as much as he loves moral victories. Why do we even care about that buffoon anymore? Hasn't it been shown by a 4-1 record that he was more the problem than the solution? Mario Williams was openly critical about Rex's 3-4 defense that isn't getting many sacks with a team that lead the league last year. But last year they played a 4-3 and Rex don't know nothing about no 4-3.

Rex loves them fighters almost as much as he loves moral victories. Why do we even care about that buffoon anymore? Hasn't it been shown by a 4-1 record that he was more the problem than the solution? Mario Williams was openly critical about Rex's 3-4 defense that isn't getting many sacks with a team that lead the league last year. But last year they played a 4-3 and Rex don't know nothing about no 4-3.

our secondary going from a cast of Arena leaguers to Revis, Cro and Skrine has more to do with it

I think that's a naive and a "talking heads" concept.  Of course it matters who you play.  The reality is it's harder to beat good teams than bad ones.  

I'm not saying the Jets are bad, because yes - you can only beat the teams in front of you...But teams like the Pats and Bengals (this year) are top teams and harder to beat than the Redskins and Browns -  Had the Jets had the same schedule as the Bills I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar records.

Time is really on our  (the Bills)  side right now.  We should be able to beat the Jags.  Then we have a bi-week.  When we return,  we should have most of our injured players back and also have time to fix our defense.  I think Rex heard loud and clear that something needs to be done with the defense.  Jim Kelly ( a good friend of Rex) even spoke up about this in a Buffalo News article today.

Archived