What does a new Ryan Fitzpatrick contract look like

bergenjets

I'm fairly certain he got 2 years 16 mil out of Chicago, but yeah, same range.

From what I've read, it was 2 yrs 10 mil plus upto 5 in incentives that include 3 mil for playoff appearance and 1 mil each roster bonus. His first year salary was like $4.5 mil n that was the only guarantee besides the first roster bonus. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys make it seem like we'd be bidding against another team for his starting services. Name 1 team out there that wants Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB next year other than the Jets?

He's 32 & a journeyman who happened to be reunited with his old coach & some really good skill players. Another thing, he's happy as sh*t here & he's gonna get a fair contract, people talking 8-10 million are losing their minds. Right here, right now is the only starting job AVAILABLE to Fitzy. Like someone else said, Fitz is a smart guy & realizes he's just a piece to the puzzle. So, I think Jets will be fair but no way they bid against THEMSELVES here.

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of at least one team in this league.  Backup jags (See Flynn) that have one good run of a few games get offered dumb deals so all it takes is one team to fall in love with the idea of a solid vet and have cap room.  I agree with you on this one about him wanting to stay and asking for a reasonable amount but that does not mean that one dumb team will not over pay. 

I think if they resign Fitz it will be a short cheap contract maybe 2 years 12 mil. Its not that I don't think he is a good QB deserving of more but I think Bowels and Macc will be looking for a young new QB that they can call their own. Maybe they will draft one or promote Petty up and see what he can do next year or maybe they will look to aquire one in free agency lots of young faces out there itching to get their shot as a starter like Mettenburger and a few who could possibly benefit from a second chance on a new team like a Ponder or dare I say (I know im going to get chewed out for this one) RG3.

Bowles is already on record as of yesterday saying he wants Fitz back next year. Two years at 12-14 mil is not bad and not back breaking. He needs to finish out strong and not collapse, but from everything we have seen the last couple of weeks he is playing on another level. Petty needs to sit one more year and have him compete the following year. Every good team should draft a QB every year, we need to keep finding the future solution but as of now we have a good 2-3 year place holder.

When he was 28, he got a $59M deal ($24M guaranteed) over 6 years.  Now he's 33 and there are relatively few teams out there that would be looking for a guy like him.  The only teams out there in a position to bring him in as the starter, and hand him starter dollars, would be us, maybe Chicago if they get rid of Cutler....Rams, Browns, 49ers and Eagles are the others.  And realistically I bet only 2 of those teams at most would compete for his services when it all shakes out, maybe even 0.

And given that he's in a really good situation here with the Offensive Coordinator who got him that big contract from Buffalo, I think a hometown/OC discount is in order, meaning he'll be on the low end of what one would expect to pay a starting QB, and at max a 3-year deal where we'd be able to cut him after 2. 

Can't expect to give him backup dollars, because that's just not how the QB payscale works.  After all, even bad starters make a ton more money than the best backup. but he's not going to break our cap either.

Something like 3 years, $20M, with about $8-9M guaranteed sounds about right to me.  More than what Josh McCown makes but less than the extension Nick Foles got shortly after being traded to the Rams.

I agree with Max that the NE game will be a big one for his contract negotiation, especially if we miss the playoffs. The team is playing at or near the top of its performance for the season so it's going to be up to Fitz to show he can take a performing team and stay at that level against the top of the league. Not that he has to put the team on his back but he has to do his part for the offense and have a good game.

I also agree with the hometown discount arguments to an extent. He's got to realize the opportunity he has to shine with this offense and know that a lesser team might make him look a lot like past years' Fitz and a lot less like 2015 Fitz. Walking away from that would be terrible for him. OTOH what is the strategy next year without Fitz? Geno--no. Petty? Maybe. Other FA options aren't looking great and this draft class isn't either. We would also have to give up a lot of draft picks to get into the top of the draft.

it's a priority but you don't overpay just because you've got PTSD from the geno years, the price has to be right for the team. Sanchez got 2 years $9M from the Eagles so fitz is in line to get a similar deal, we're talking backup QB money here let's not get crazy 

Since when does the starting QB on any team take back-up QB money?

Fitzy is getting $10-15M per yer.  It is laughable that he would take $5M given the QB shortage.  It is his time for him to rob the bank one more time. 

I highly doubt it. He enjoys this revival in his career and is smart enough to know he is in a good situation. I say 7-8 per year, I doubt it goes above 9.

You guys make it seem like we'd be bidding against another team for his starting services. Name 1 team out there that wants Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB next year other than the Jets?

He's 32 & a journeyman who happened to be reunited with his old coach & some really good skill players. Another thing, he's happy as sh*t here & he's gonna get a fair contract, people talking 8-10 million are losing their minds. Right here, right now is the only starting job AVAILABLE to Fitzy. Like someone else said, Fitz is a smart guy & realizes he's just a piece to the puzzle. So, I think Jets will be fair but no way they bid against THEMSELVES here.

Yes, the QB level of play is so good in the NFL I just can't imagine a team would want a 30 TD QB that throws for around 4000 yards.  What friggin idiot would want that crap!

Yes, the QB level of play is so good in the NFL I just can't imagine a team would want a 30 TD QB that throws for around 4000 yards.  What friggin idiot would want that crap!

Seriously.

We haven't had a decent QB in forever.  Fitz shows up, and in his first year is going after the franchise record for yards and touchdowns, and people say bringing him back isn't a priority?   If not Fitz, who is going to start?  We have Petty, (who has never taken an NFL snap in a game) and Glass Joe.   You bring back Fitz.

Fitz is having (statistically) one of the best seasons in NY Jet history.  On pace for 3800 yards and 31 TD passes.  He is still pretty young (33) so he has a few seasons left him.  I think we can take into consideration who is has around him but I think a 3 year contract with some injury protection meaning incentives.

Teams will want him, yes.  But not as many need QB's as there are in most years.  All but a handful of teams out there are locked into a starter and cannot guarantee him a starting job.  That would be a necessity for any team that goes after him; to legitimately say they don't have a starting QB on their roster.  Do we need to go team by team here?  Yes, let's do that:

Patriots:  Brady.

Dolphins:  Paying Tannehill absurd money.

Bills:  Rex doesn't like him and <3's Tyrod.

Ravens:  Paying Flacco absurd money.

Steelers:  Ben.

Bengals:  Dalton.

Colts:  Luck.

Jaguars:  Bortles.

Titans:  Mariota.

Texans:  Seem to like Hoyer and just got rid of Fitz this past offseason.  Any hint that they'd show interest would be an admission that they're stupid. 

Chiefs:  Paying Alex Smith absurd money.

Broncos:  Osweiler + Peyton.

Chargers:  Signed Rivers to an extension this past offseason.

Raiders:  Carr.

Giants:  Eli.

Redskins:  Likely are fine with Cousins, and even they aren't, they have the RG3 distraction hanging over them (Dan Snyder likely won't sign off on outright cutting him without a fight).

Cowboys:  Romo is made of glass but he's their guy for at least one more year for sure.

Vikings:  Bridgewater

Packers:  Rodgers

Lions: Paying Stafford absurd money.

Bucs:  Winston.

Saints:  Will need to figure out the Brees situation, but even if they trade him, they can’t just go out and sign someone else while they’re in cap hell.  The draft is undoubtedly where their future at QB lies.  Even if they were a candidate to sign Fitz, that would mean Drew f'n Brees could be available to us.  I call that a potential win-win.

Falcons:  Ryan.

Panthers:  Cam.

Seahawks:  Wilson.

Cardinals:  Palmer.

So that’s 26 of the 31 other teams in the NFL you can rule out right off the bat to pay starter money for Fitz’s services.  That just leaves the Browns, Bears, 49ers, Rams, and Eagles.  And I only list the Bears based on the chances of them trading Jay Cutler.  Just like any other team on this list, if they're moving their QB, they'd likely be trading him to either the Browns, 49ers, Rams, or Eagles, eliminating a team on the list.

Of those 5 teams, Which of those situations would be better for Fitz?  Which of those teams won't solve their QB situation in other ways? 

Of those 5 teams, Which of those situations would be better for Fitz?  Which of those teams won't solve their QB situation in other ways? 

Not to mention at least one of those teams is going to spend a high draft pick on a QB most likely. Also-- osweiler is a FA I believe as well

Not to mention at least one of those teams is going to spend a high draft pick on a QB most likely. Also-- osweiler is a FA I believe as well

Yep.  Broncos will likely want to lock up Osweiler regardless of whether Peyton can come back or not.  And if they don't I don't particularly imagine them going after Fitzpatrick, with Osweiler ending up a Brown, Eagle, 49er or Ram.  Maybe a Bear going back to play for John Fox.

Fitz is our quarterback for next year at least. He's the man for the Jets as long as he keeps playing as well as he has this year.

He should get a 2 year 10-12 mil contract from us. Groom Petty or draft a quarterback early next season.

Cut Geno!

petty is the only QB that's really certain to be on the roster next year. I wouldn't count the jets out of any trade talks either, but I'm not opposed to bringing back fitz on a short deal and drafting another QB since we really need to add two this offseason 

IMO, in an ideal world:

1. Offer Fitz a 2-year deal, heavy on performance incentives, in the area of 2-years, 6-8 million per year, with the possibility of 10-12 per year if he plays great.

2. Draft a QB in 2016 as high as our other needs/the draft talent pool/reality allows.

3. Go into 2016 with #1 Fitz, #2 Petty, #3 Draft Pick

4. Go into 2017 with the superior of Petty/Draft Pick as the #1, Fitz the #2

5. Thank Fitz for his tenure and let him go in 2018, or resign as Veteran Depth Only for Vet Minimum 1-year deal.

The NFL has told team executives to expect the 2016 salary cap to fall between $147 million and $155 million, according to a tweet from Jason Cole.  That is an increase of between $3.72 million and $11.72 million over the $143.28 million cap for this year. .......... per Jason @ Over-the-Cap.com

I think there will be room to do a Wilkerson deal, and give Fitz a bump in pay. Especially if Cro ($8), Giacomini($4) and Cumberland($2) released($14 mil in savings). 

if you're telling me were gonna lay fitz $10M a year to come back I see this team having serious problems since we're probably losing Marshall and ivory at that number. Not to mention I doubt we get another cake walk gift schedule against charmin soft teams

our schedule is our schedule.  This happens every year.   Hard to cal our schedule soft when we play in a tough division 

This is the week Fitz would like to negotiate a new deal, as his last three games have been great. Prior to those three games, there was some talk about whether or not he should be benched. The next three weeks will determine whether he gets closer to $5M or $10M a year. If he continues to play at his current level against tougher competition, and leads the Jets to the playoffs, he'll be looking at the bigger money. If he falters, the team will be looking to put their resources into a new starter rather than Fitz. 

Like to think that even if he does do very well to finish up the season that he'd be willing to give the Jets a hometown discount. He's at home with Gailey coaching him, the best WR duo he's ever had, and (hopefully) the first playoff appearance of his career.  

give up the dream they are gonna try to bring him back baring a complete Genoesque meltdown, and he is way too smart for that 

It was an easy prediction that Fitzpatrick would outperformed Geno. It was an easier position that then there would be much handwringing about whether the jets were going to overpay they guy. We finally found a guy who can keep us in games and put points on the board. And we want to let him walk? Now THAT would be SOJ.

Yep.  Broncos will likely want to lock up Osweiler regardless of whether Peyton can come back or not.  And if they don't I don't particularly imagine them going after Fitzpatrick, with Osweiler ending up a Brown, Eagle, 49er or Ram.  Maybe a Bear going back to play for John Fox.

you are high.  

It was an easy prediction that Fitzpatrick would outperformed Geno. It was an easier position that then there would be much handwringing about whether the jets were going to overpay they guy. We finally found a guy who can keep us in games and put points on the board. And we want to let him walk? Now THAT would be SOJ.

No.  He has no place to walk to.  His best and Only place to play for us with us.  Our OC, our receivers and our  desperate need for a QB.  He will sign for something reasonable because all his value is intrinsic to this team.  Stop it.  

No.  He has no place to walk to.  His best and Only place to play for us with us.  Our OC, our receivers and our  desperate need for a QB.  He will sign for something reasonable because all his value is intrinsic to this team.  Stop it.  

Also have to keep in mind the guy has bounced around just a ton the past decade, and the way he speaks about it, it sounds like he's getting tired of new cities and new systems year after year.

Also have to keep in mind the guy has bounced around just a ton the past decade, and the way he speaks about it, it sounds like he's getting tired of new cities and new systems year after year.

All part of it.  This his his last stop to compete.  If he needs the money then fine take the fools gold and put it away for the kids education.  He will play there and become the no more than 6 win and Vilian will be vindicated.  Or take good money from the team you belong on.  Fitz he smart Harvarded up and shit.  He will take a reasonable four to six fitty offer before the season ends and take his crew to Disneyland. 

No that would be same old Bills, Titans, and Texans. 

I don't think Fitz wants to go anywhere, and I don't think we want to let him go anywhere either.

I'd love to have him here for the next 30 years with 2, or 3 starting then 3 as a player coach being Petty's secret sensei...or whoever the QB of the future ends up being. Then keep him as a QB coach. 

This guy is sending text messages, and emails to his players with ideas, and adjustments he thinks of in his spare time. We've never had any QB do anything remotely like that. The detractors were right. Fitz physically has no business being on an NFL football field. It's all intelligence, wisdom, desire, and heart, and it's contagious. We cannot let him leave...ever. 

Where am I wrong?  

like  I got all night 

wtf lol

just the next battle against patronising jets fans I guess we will have to endure 

No that would be same old Bills, Titans, and Texans. 

I don't think Fitz wants to go anywhere, and I don't think we want to let him go anywhere either.

I'd love to have him here for the next 30 years with 2, or 3 starting then 3 as a player coach being Petty's secret sensei...or whoever the QB of the future ends up being. Then keep him as a QB coach. 

This guy is sending text messages, and emails to his players with ideas, and adjustments he thinks of in his spare time. We've never had any QB do anything remotely like that. The detractors were right. Fitz physically has no business being on an NFL football field. It's all intelligence, wisdom, desire, and heart, and it's contagious. We cannot let him leave...ever. 

it is moot because Mac recognises the value even an average to slightly above average NFL starter brings and will pay fitz and there will be a lot of sad faces around here about "overpaying"

fitz isn't "the guy" though... He's a professional and has done a good job holding down the fort but he is not the future of this team. I'm all for keeping him around since he's proved he's competent enough and we need depth but the main goal this offseason is to upgrade and every dollar is going to be important. If some team wants to throw huge money at fitz then we'll have to be creative and find a better deal somewhere else

Archived