With Smith Sidelined, is Enunwa new Jets Deep Threat?

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Now that the Jets know the fate of rookie wide receiver Devin Smith who will miss the remainder of the 2015 season with a torn ACL, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is left trying to fill the void left by the former Ohio State University speedster. Smith’s production up to this point had […]

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith was the only potential deep threat on this team, but he had absolutely no chemistry with Fitzpatrick

Enunwa is trash, you can't count on him. He can't catch a cold. They should just list him as a TE, since his main contribution is blocking

I'm hoping Tompkins can step up. Kerley would be my ideal 3rd guy, but for some reason this coaching staff doesn't seem to like him much

With Fitzpatrick not having the strongest arm, maybe a deep threat isn't necessary

Jets worked out 5 FAs, incl ex-Giants TE Adrien Robinson. Also WRs Danario Alexander, Joe Anderson, QB Phillip Sims + DB Cassius Vaughn. I remember Alexander from the Chargers and believe he was decent, also Vaugn has returned kicks so this may be an option. Either way I think we will see more of Thompkins and Kerley sprinkled in.

Smith was the only potential deep threat on this team, but he had absolutely no chemistry with Fitzpatrick

Enunwa is trash, you can't count on him. He can't catch a cold. They should just list him as a TE, since his main contribution is blocking

I'm hoping Tompkins can step up. Kerley would be my ideal 3rd guy, but for some reason this coaching staff doesn't seem to like him much

With Fitzpatrick not having the strongest arm, maybe a deep threat isn't necessary

It's more than he just can't catch...and he can't - but he's also a very weak route runner, he gets muscled out on almost every route.   As a pass catcher/route runner he has a lot of Stephen Hill in him.

Jets worked out 5 FAs, incl ex-Giants TE Adrien Robinson. Also WRs Danario Alexander, Joe Anderson, QB Phillip Sims + DB Cassius Vaughn. I remember Alexander from the Chargers and believe he was decent, also Vaugn has returned kicks so this may be an option. Either way I think we will see more of Thompkins and Kerley sprinkled in.

I LOVE Danario Alexander.  Guy has had a really tough career with injuries.  He's an excellent deep threat if he still has his speed.  Somewhat similar to Malcolm Floyd

I LOVE Danario Alexander.  Guy has had a really tough career with injuries.  He's an excellent deep threat if he still has his speed.  Somewhat similar to Malcolm Floyd

Any guy who is 6'5" and can still run would be a pleasant surprise. As long as his knees hold up I would welcome him on the squad. This would be probably a future move considering I don't see him coming in this year and making an impact.

Another great read Glenn thanks

From a football standpoint Smith won't be missed all that much.  His main function on the field was to take DB's deep with his speed.  According to Glenn's article Enunwa is faster then Smith.  He ran a 4.40 40.  Smith's official time at the Combine was 4.42.  

Enunwa's hands have been questionable, but Smith only caught 9 balls.  So yes, Enunwa is the Jets deep threat.  This whole year has been horrible for  Smith personally, but from a team stand point shouldn't make any difference.  

Smith was never a deep threat. He caught what, 2 balls? I'd rather see Enunwa out there.

I think we need Enunwa as our H back.  Walt Powell is on the street.  He was our kickoff return man preseason as well as a deep threat at WR.  Why not bring him back?

I think we need Enunwa as our H back.  Walt Powell is on the street.  He was our kickoff return man preseason as well as a deep threat at WR.  Why not bring him back?

Enunwa can be the H back in running plays and a split end in passing downs and do both effectively. Walt Powell is still on the street for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back, but the coaches and management cut him for a reason.

From a football standpoint Smith won't be missed all that much.  His main function on the field was to take DB's deep with his speed.  According to Glenn's article Enunwa is faster then Smith.  He ran a 4.40 40.  Smith's official time at the Combine was 4.42.  

Enunwa's hands have been questionable, but Smith only caught 9 balls.  So yes, Enunwa is the Jets deep threat.  This whole year has been horrible for  Smith personally, but from a team stand point shouldn't make any difference.  

It's like having a fancy vacuum with all sorts of attachments and cool little things but then you lose one of them.  At first, you're like damn, where did it go?  But then you're like, who cares, I never used it.

Enunwa can be the H back in running plays and a split end in passing downs and do both effectively. Walt Powell is still on the street for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back, but the coaches and management cut him for a reason.

"The H-back often has to be versatile; as a backfield member, they can be lined up to act as a lead blocker on running plays. However, the H-back also fills the roles of a traditional tight end, catching passes over the middle and pass blocking when needed."

....so, I doubt Enunwa will be used as a deep threat.

Oh and nice article, Glenn. I enjoyed it. I will be in philly dec 24-jan 1 if you can get out would be great to get a beer

Thanks man...I'd love to but I'll be in London.  Leaving on the 23rd and get back on the 30th so the 1st will be lots of recovery time with the toddlers probably in full freak out mode.

Someone dig up the research I put together to illustrate that even in the most prolific offenses, with top QBs, the "deep threat" accounts for an average of 1-2 passes per game. 

I agree that from a pure production standpoint it's overrated, but having the threat does open things up underneath.  Not sure who they have on the roster who can get defenses to play off a little bit.

Could be a non-issue, but I like Enunwa so hoping his speed makes them consider an expanded role.

I agree that from a pure production standpoint it's overrated, but having the threat does open things up underneath.  Not sure who they have on the roster who can get defenses to play off a little bit.

Could be a non-issue, but I like Enunwa so hoping his speed makes them consider an expanded role.

At this point, given how well we can move the ball through the air with Decker and Marshall, I don't think the outcry should be for "deep ballz", but rather for Ivory to go back to being Ivory. He's still not really back to form since that first run vs. the Patriots. He's looked better, but still not the guy we saw in the quarter of the season. 

I actually love the fact that the offense has evolved from the point where it stalled during our losses. Ivory cannot run, and we don't have a clear-cut #3 WR? Compensate for both by using Powell in the passing game. Frankly, I think the mid-season shifts we're seeing from our offense are very underrated and not getting enough credit. For a few games, opponents figured us out. We adjusted. No Jet offense in recent memory had the personnel or coaching to do that.

At this point, given how well we can move the ball through the air with Decker and Marshall, I don't think the outcry should be for "deep ballz", but rather for Ivory to go back to being Ivory. He's still not really back to form since that first run vs. the Patriots. He's looked better, but still not the guy we saw in the quarter of the season. 

I actually love the fact that the offense has evolved from the point where it stalled during our losses. Ivory cannot run, and we don't have a clear-cut #3 WR? Compensate for both by using Powell in the passing game. Frankly, I think the mid-season shifts we're seeing from our offense are very underrated and not getting enough credit. For a few games, opponents figured us out. We adjusted. No Jet offense in recent memory had the personnel or coaching to do that.

The threat of scoring on any given play is always important.  You can't always rely on stringing 12 play drives together.

Enunwa is not faster than Smith.  Enunwa ran a 4.45.

The threat of scoring on any given play is always important.  You can't always rely on stringing 12 play drives together.

The threat of scoring on any given play exists on any given play. Devin Smith "giving" us that threat is a fallacy. The Patriots get that from Gronk, the Vikings get it from Adrian Peterson. The threat to score on any given play exists when you have great players. It's not dependent upon "deep ballz".

Archived