Nfl/NBC screwed itself not flexing our game Sunday

drdetroit

CBS is 1080i

All cable is 1080i.  It is debatable whether the human eye can pick up the difference between 1080i and 1080p. 1080i alternates pixels.  It uses half the bandwidth.  There have been studies that show that the alternating pixels happen so fast that humans cannot pick up the difference.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes no sense at all.

The Pats, Bengals and Broncos have all clinched a playoff spots without sitting here in week 15 hoping some other team will lose. They "earned" their playoffs on their own.

Your cheating franchise needed the Jets to lose five games to win the division. Troll. 

You are wrong. Even if the Jets win out, they would still need other teams to lose.

That is called backing into the playoffs.

You're not good at this anymore.  It's literally not even slightly believable anymore.  Highly disappointed in you.  Your bait is just trash these days and you used to be the best in the business.

It's a real shame.  I got excited when they let you back in but you've been a huge let down. 

outside of masshole,maine and vermont,  No one gives a crap bout cheats, in fact they are despised by all for their cheating ways. 

There are also 3 other New England states, RI, NH, & CT. There's probably at least a few Pat fans in those places. But you may be right about RI. At least I can't find any of those in my house. :-)

That makes no sense at all.

The Pats, Bengals and Broncos have all clinched a playoff spots without sitting here in week 15 hoping some other team will lose. They "earned" their playoffs on their own.

Interesting. They clinched rose spots because other teams lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are also 3 other New England states, RI, NH, & CT. There's probably at least a few Pat fans in those places. But you may be right about RI. At least I can't find any of those in my house. :-)

And up here in Maine, there are MANY people who hate the Rats. Id say 60% Rats fans vs 40% other teams.

Met alot of other teams fans up here, even a few Phins fans. (Even a Browns fan!)

You are wrong. Even if the Jets win out, they would still need other teams to lose.

That is called backing into the playoffs.

backing into the playoffs is when you lose but get in anyway because another team also loses. nice try. kinda like saying in the other thread that the Pats had clinched home field throughout. Just wrong ... again. Reading, writing, arithmetic are clearly not your strong points.

This shouldn't be happening, CBS HD should look significantly better than ESPN or FOX on your panel because you have a 1080p HDTV.

I don't have Optimum so I can't give you step by step directions, but go into the menus on your DVR and make sure the output is set to 1080p.  You'd be surprised how many times the guys setting these things up leave it on 720p or even 480i.  I've even seen some setups where they didn't use an HDMI cable either, check for that too.

SAR I

This shouldn't be happening, CBS HD should look significantly better than ESPN or FOX on your panel because you have a 1080p HDTV.

I don't have Optimum so I can't give you step by step directions, but go into the menus on your DVR and make sure the output is set to 1080p.  You'd be surprised how many times the guys setting these things up leave it on 720p or even 480i.  I've even seen some setups where they didn't use an HDMI cable either, check for that too.

SAR I

Check check check got the son checking it all out I know the HDMI cable is there it just seems every other channel that airs football is better than CBS here for me. 

Thanks SAR I 

Your cheating franchise needed the Jets to lose five games to win the division. Troll. 

this place was better without him Slats.  It's easy to say "just ignore" but the old troll keeps hijacking threads.

Get rid of him once and for all.  He adds nothing of value and he isn't even an entertaining, clever troll like he used to be.  

Bottom line: The forum is much better without him.  He has no rights here.  His motive is to incite.  

Why let him continue to spit on the floor here?

Check check check got the son checking it all out I know the HDMI cable is there it just seems every other channel that airs football is better than CBS here for me. 

Thanks SAR I 

Please give me the exact make and model number of your TV. I will find the calibration settings for you, and then you can tweak things like white balance, contrast level, backlight level, etc.

We will figure this out, CBS should be the best looking channel not the worst. 

SAR I

SAR I

Damn, I just went to TV Resolutions on my settings and the box for 1080p was not checked.

Thanks buddy!

Please give me the exact make and model number of your TV. I will find the calibration settings for you, and then you can tweak things like white balance, contrast level, backlight level, etc.

SAR I

I think its the cable provider son checked it all out tweaked the color levels and the backlight level. I also sent an email to the Optimum about the picture quality for years we had a line that would travel up and down the screen on channel 2 thats gone but the quality level is still lacking. 

Thanks SAR I 

Its a 55" Samsung LED dont think its the settings or anything than can be done on our part here we even checked all the connections inside and outside. 

Damn, I just went to TV Resolutions on my settings and the box for 1080p was not checked.

Thanks buddy!

Glad I could help. You should see a noticeable difference as long as your panel is 1080p ( if your TV is older and 720p then you should revert back to 720p in the cable box settings)  

There also should be an option for scaling and you should allow your TV to handle the scaling, not the cable box.  See below for advice on quick calibration settings from other owners of your specific TV.

SAR I 

I think its the cable provider son checked it all out tweaked the color levels and the backlight level. I also sent an email to the Optimum about the picture quality for years we had a line that would travel up and down the screen on channel 2 thats gone but the quality level is still lacking. 

Thanks SAR I 

Its a 55" Samsung LED dont think its the settings or anything than can be done on our part here we even checked all the connections inside and outside. 

Gotcha, it sounds like you have a physical problem with your connections on certain frequencies and should be contacting your cable provider to do a repair. Suggest you see if someone can come visit you tomorrow or Saturday so your TV looks smashing for Sunday. 

Back to the calibration settings, make sure your son does a Google search for your exact model TV and then the word "calibration". There will be a community of people with your TV (likely the AVS forums) who together have experimented and have come up with the optimum set of settings for the very best picture quality. I do this with all of my panels, and the difference is really amazing.  Especially with Samsung panels which tend to have very high screen-dooring issues (I have two and they need a lot of calibration help compared to my Sony which is spectacular).  

SAR I 

Glad I could help. You should see a noticeable difference as long as your panel is 1080p ( if your TV is older and 720p then you should revert back to 720p in the cable box settings)  

There also should be an option for scaling and you should allow your TV to handle the scaling, not the cable box.  See below for advice on quick calibration settings from other owners of your specific TV.

SAR I 

Got the TV last February, here is the model #:

Samsung UN65J6300 65-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

When I checked the 1080p box, it ran an automatic check and I got the edit message "will default to 1080p when programming available".

Does that mean certain programs (i.e. NFL games) are broadcast in 1080p and other programs are not?

Watching the local news on CBS right now and can't notice a difference (always been a great picture).

Where I notice the difference is on Sunday's when I flip from a CBS game to a FOX game. Big difference, and FOX was always a superior picture.

When I checked the 1080p box, it ran an automatic check and I got the edit message "will default to 1080p when programming available".

Does that mean certain programs (i.e. NFL games) are broadcast in 1080p and other programs are not?

Watching the local news on CBS right now and can't notice a difference (always been a great picture).

Where I notice the difference is on Sunday's when I flip from a CBS game to a FOX game. Big difference, and FOX was always a superior picture.

Same here PatsFanTX when we switch we also notice a considerable difference in picture quality color brightness crispness you name it. 

Check out the calibration settings recommended in this link here as a starting point:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6300/settings

Other owners of your panel discuss calibration settings here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2230714-official-samsung-unxxj6300-owner-s-calibration-thread.html

Calibration is critical as the stock settings like "Cinema" and "Sports" are usually jacked to the nines as these TV's need to look more colorful and brighter in Best Buy on the busy TV wall and therefore look bad in customers homes.  For an expensive HDTV from a reputable maker, generally speaking all "noise reduction" and "motion reduction" settings should be shut off, contrast should be maxed, backlight should be around 50%, etc.

As for the "will default to 1080p when programming available" is good, that means that when the cable box sniffs a 1080p signal it's letting it pass through natively which is what you want.  When it sniffs an inferior signal (720p or 480i) it will need to be upscaled, usually best when the TV does this and not the cable box.  That message from your cable box makes me concerned, looks like the cable box is managing the scaling.

FOX and ESPN broadcast in 720p which isn't as clear/sharp as a 1080p broadcast (CBS, NBC, most others) so it would be suspicious if the 720p networks look better on your 1080p panel.  Check deep in the cable box settings, make sure that if there is one for "let the TV do the scaling" it's checked.  Scaling is very important and usually the TV makers do a much better job of it.  On my Sony 55" 1080p looks spectacular, 720p less so, has more artifacting.

SAR I

Wow, who is your service provider?  How old is your TV?

On a modern 1080p native panel, CBS looks the best as it's 1080p HD vs FOX and ESPN who are 720p and require upscaling.

SAR I

SAR I

SAR I

Check out the calibration settings recommended in this link here as a starting point:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6300/settings

Other owners of your panel discuss calibration settings here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2230714-official-samsung-unxxj6300-owner-s-calibration-thread.html

Calibration is critical as the stock settings like "Cinema" and "Sports" are usually jacked to the nines as these TV's need to look more colorful and brighter in Best Buy on the busy TV wall and therefore look bad in customers homes.  For an expensive HDTV from a reputable maker, generally speaking all "noise reduction" and "motion reduction" settings should be shut off, contrast should be maxed, backlight should be around 50%, etc.

As for the "will default to 1080p when programming available" is good, that means that when the cable box sniffs a 1080p signal it's letting it pass through natively which is what you want.  When it sniffs an inferior signal (720p or 480i) it will need to be upscaled, usually best when the TV does this and not the cable box.  That message from your cable box makes me concerned, looks like the cable box is managing the scaling.

FOX and ESPN broadcast in 720p which isn't as clear/sharp as a 1080p broadcast (CBS, NBC, most others) so it would be suspicious if the 720p networks look better on your 1080p panel.  Check deep in the cable box settings, make sure that if there is one for "let the TV do the scaling" it's checked.  Scaling is very important and usually the TV makers do a much better job of it.  On my Sony 55" 1080p looks spectacular, 720p less so, has more artifacting.

SAR I

Fool, no network broadcasts 1080p. 

For the killionth jillionth time, CBS is 1080("i"nterlace not "p"rogressive). Do you even know the difference?

1080i is a 2x slower frame rate than 720p and sends only 540 lines (half the picture) at the speed 720p sends a full 720 lines (full picture). 

Which is why 1080i is worse for action sports (more blur) and is the exact reason Fox, ESPN, ABC chose the 720p format. 

Upscaled crisp 720p is sharper than slow 1080i deinterlaced on a 1080p resolution screen. Deinterlacing is a sloppier conversion. 

Get a clue and stop spewing the same nonsense over and over. If (for football) your 720p channels are not as clear as CBS then it's your tv that needs proper setup.

CBS (1080i) news will look great because news isn't fast action. You'll notice the difference between 1080i and 720p when watching sports. 

What you describe above makes perfect sense.

Archived