Chan Gailey and Resigning Fitz

bergenjets

First off, a nod to Gailey for calling the best game I have seen in a long time by a Jets OC. There were few if any head scratchers and even the plays that didn't work, should have worked.

Playing the role of Captain Obvious here, but  a big consideration in the negotiations with Fitz needs to be Chan's long term plans. Having Fitz under contract for big $$$ without Chan, or at least an heir apparent who would run the same quick strike spread system, could turn ugly. In Ftiz's journey around the league, he has struggled to prosper in other systems. Matching the length of his contract to Chan's planned tenure would be a prudent move by the front office.

First off, a nod to Gailey for calling the best game I have seen in a long time by a Jets OC. There were few if any head scratchers and even the plays that didn't work, should have worked.

Playing the role of Captain Obvious here, but  a big consideration in the negotiations with Fitz needs to be Chan's long term plans. Having Fitz under contract for big $$$ without Chan, or at least an heir apparent who would run the same quick strike spread system, could turn ugly. In Ftiz's journey around the league, he has struggled to prosper in other systems. Matching the length of his contract to Chan's planned tenure would be a prudent move by the front office.

I was very impressed with the playcalling. It was quite evident how productive we can be when we have a guy calling great plays. 

And I agree, Fitz and Chan should be a package in regards to Fitz resigning. I want Chan around, but if we're going to keep Fitz we need to also make sure that Chan is around for the long haul. 

We love to get much credit to Fitz, and he's shown that he deserves it, but much of this success has been Chan Gailey's doing. 

I was very impressed with the playcalling. It was quite evident how productive we can be when we have a guy calling great plays. 

And I agree, Fitz and Chan should be a package in regards to Fitz resigning. I want Chan around, but if we're going to keep Fitz we need to also make sure that Chan is around for the long haul. 

We love to get much credit to Fitz, and he's shown that he deserves it, but much of this success has been Chan Gailey's doing. 

This team finally has a Very good OC a Very Good QB and skill players that make it all work due to execution of the offense they have been learning all year. It takes time to learn a new offense and really, everyone but Fitz probably struggled early . Now that they are all on the same page it seems we are becoming harder to stop for opposing defenses. The only thing that has stopped this offense as of late has been itself. Once these guys put a full game together they are prime to blow someone out and I hope that happens in the playoffs. Right now we can do something few teams can, we can run, we can pass, and we can play solid defense, even the ST coverage has gotten better the last few weeks.

While I'd love to keep Chan around, I don't think its an absolute necessity in order to keep Fitz as well.  If we retain a lot of this offensive talent we have, this will be a great landing spot for a quality OC.

Remember, when Chan and Fitz had their best previous success together, in 2012, Fitz was handing it off to C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson (got hurt and missed the final 6 games) and Tashard Choice and throwing to the likes of Stevie Johnson, Scott Chandler, Donald Jones, TJ Graham and Brad Smith.  Definitely some talent in that mix but not a murderer's row like Marshall, Decker, Ivory and Powell have been this season. 

While I'd love to keep Chan around, I don't think its an absolute necessity in order to keep Fitz as well.  If we retain a lot of this offensive talent we have, this will be a great landing spot for a quality OC.

Remember, when Chan and Fitz had their best previous success together, in 2012, Fitz was handing it off to C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson (got hurt and missed the final 6 games) and Tashard Choice and throwing to the likes of Stevie Johnson, Scott Chandler, Donald Jones, TJ Graham and Brad Smith.  Definitely some talent in that mix but not a murderer's row like Marshall, Decker, Ivory and Powell have been this season. 

continuity

Fitz is only 33 years old, he could have another 3 quality seasons left in him, 2 performing at the level he is at right now. Lock Chan and Fitz up for that time span. Let petty and a new rookie qb learn in the wings and build a culture of continuity. This is how all winning franchises perform and we should follow the model.

ALL Jet fans should re-watch the NE game to appreciate the terrific play
design by Gailey.  He "schemed" players open all day with motion, picks
and having players get "lost in the trash".  If Fitzpatrick was more
accurate on his deep passes we probably win by 3 scores.  The Enunwa
catch in OT was particularly "beautiful", basically Thompkins picked off
two CB's with a fake slant which freed up Enunwa for the huge gain

please note the play design on the game winning TD to Decker. The spacing to the end zone boundary was huge. Butler never had a chance and no help could get there.

hopefully for short money!

Who cares what Woody pays Chan. Doesn't count against cap. Although I'm sure Woody appreciates your concern for his billions.

Chan ain't going anywhere. Hate to even say it but this team going to have SB aspirations next season (in addition to this season, of course). Who would get off that bus now?

I just said the same thing in the observation thread.  There is a thread that Butler was "exposed" but with that much room anybody is a sitting duck.

It appears to me that it took almost half of the season for Chan to get back into coaching and adjusting to the 'new' NFL.  It looks like the offense is starting to really click and some of the young receivers are starting to contribute. If the great BB can make a bone-headed call in OT, I guess I can forgive Chan for some of his head-scratchers, but the offense seems much more fluid now.

I just said the same thing in the observation thread.  There is a thread that Butler was "exposed" but with that much room anybody is a sitting duck.

I agree. That play design was outrageous. I have to review that entire play several times to really see it. Maybe even look at the last game against the Pasts. Maybe Chan is into derivatives

Fitz is only 33 years old, he could have another 3 quality seasons left in him, 2 performing at the level he is at right now. Lock Chan and Fitz up for that time span. Let petty and a new rookie qb learn in the wings and build a culture of continuity. This is how all winning franchises perform and we should follow the model.

Anyone know where Gaily's mind is? Does he want to still  coach, can we lock him up for 3 years?

Anyone know where Gaily's mind is? Does he want to still  coach, can we lock him up for 3 years?

Fitz knows all of Chans plays and is smart enough to call his own. The team just has to keep the O the same.. When Favre came here in 2008 they changed to do what Favre liked just like Chad with the Fins that had Chad Henning who was the OC for the Jets in 2000 when Chad was a rookie.. Stick to what the QB likes and does well with it's not rocket science..:)

Well said.  I always liked the word prudent. 

Maybe but no.  Keep both.  Profit.

Maybe but no.  Keep both.  Profit.

Clearly.  But I think people saying that we should ditch Fitz if Gailey doesn't come back are in the wrong.  Their success is not entirely tied together, Fitz is just at his best playing in his system.  Give both their money and keep them for sure.

Agreed.

There were a couple of really nice misdirection screens where the screen appeared to be going one way, then went the other way for a sizable gain.

This game should have been a blowout.  Great playcalling, but mediocre execution.  Lots of guys were open down the field.  Should have had two or three long TDs.

Clearly.  But I think people saying that we should ditch Fitz if Gailey doesn't come back are in the wrong.  Their success is not entirely tied together, Fitz is just at his best playing in his system.  Give both their money and keep them for sure.

System means everything. Put Peyton Manning of the last few years in Green Bays system and its an epic fail and its probably the reason why Peyton has failed for the most part In Kubiak's system. Manning was always running a hurry up system throwing a ton of short passes which was like an extension of the running game. He threw so much it was easy for him to get in Rhythm early in games and even if he played bad early he would still be warmed up just fine for a second half run and keeping defenses off balance with the way he called plays at the line and most teams never had a clue when the ball was going to be snapped. He was a Master at deception. Then you put him in Kubiacks system and its an entirely different system and Manning cant think ahead he can no longer play chess with the defense because now he has to wait for the play call and honestly it does not suit him.

You put Fitz in this same scenario playing with teams that tried to mold him into something he's not and you have the same exact situation and its obvious now since Fitz is lighting it up week after week and his OC and HC have 100 % faith he will get the job done so a lot of times Fitz comes out throwing early rather than run run pass run run pass then expect a QB to just turn it on later in the game....it don't work that way .

Playing QB in the NFL has so many variables that you just can't always blame the player unless the player simply can't deal with the day to day, game to game, pressure and he becomes mentally beat down and is just not meant to be an NFL QB. Finding this kind of player is probably the hardest part of being successful as an offense but it also comes down to a rock solid system that you can add parts to each and every year and they succeed because the scheme, OC, and QB can make them succeed and that's why you have you're Brady's and you're Manning's and its also why so many teams fail at plugging in a QB no matter how talented he is. Its also why a gook like Matt Cassel can succeed in the Pats system yet fails everywhere else. Put Brady on the Brown's in a completely different system and your going to get the same crap Manning was putting out in Denver under that Idiot Kubiak.

System means everything. Put Peyton Manning of the last few years in Green Bays system and its an epic fail and its probably the reason why Peyton has failed for the most part In Kubiak's system. Manning was always running a hurry up system throwing a ton of short passes which was like an extension of the running game. He threw so much it was easy for him to get in Rhythm early in games and even if he played bad early he would still be warmed up just fine for a second half run and keeping defenses off balance with the way he called plays at the line and most teams never had a clue when the ball was going to be snapped. He was a Master at deception. Then you put him in Kubiacks system and its an entirely different system and Manning cant think ahead he can no longer play chess with the defense because now he has to wait for the play call and honestly it does not suit him.

You put Fitz in this same scenario playing with teams that tried to mold him into something he's not and you have the same exact situation and its obvious now since Fitz is lighting it up week after week and his OC and HC have 100 % faith he will get the job done so a lot of times Fitz comes out throwing early rather than run run pass run run pass then expect a QB to just turn it on later in the game....it don't work that way .

Playing QB in the NFL has so many variables that you just can't always blame the player unless the player simply can't deal with the day to day, game to game, pressure and he becomes mentally beat down and is just not meant to be an NFL QB. Finding this kind of player is probably the hardest part of being successful as an offense but it also comes down to a rock solid system that you can add parts to each and every year and they succeed because the scheme, OC, and QB can make them succeed and that's why you have you're Brady's and you're Manning's and its also why so many teams fail at plugging in a QB no matter how talented he is. Its also why a gook like Matt Cassel can succeed in the Pats system yet fails everywhere else. Put Brady on the Brown's in a completely different system and your going to get the same crap Manning was putting out in Denver under that Idiot Kubiak.

Great or even good players can make any system work.  It's always been more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's, because the X's and O's rarely end up working as planned.  Improvisation is always necessary, which has a lot to do with the talent and intelligence of the guys making the decisions on the field, rather than those in the booth. The main thing X's and O's can do is hide the flaws of bad or limited players, while maximizing the strengths of players who are already good. 

So in short, no, I don't agree that the system is "everything", because no system can hide bad QB play for long.  SEE:  Sanchez, Mark.  On the flip side, Peyton may have failed under Kubiak (which I would argue is more due to age than anything), but he's succeeded under a lot of different systems and coaches.  Fitzpatrick himself had a really good year in Houston last season while Chan Gailey was sitting on his couch.

Certainly, people will bring up Bill Walsh and Joe Montana to counter my argument.  But anyone would agree Walsh needed a super accurate QB to make the West Coast Offense work, just like all variations of it require to this day.  He doesn't succeed without Montana.  Coaching has always mattered, but the skill of the players definitely matters more.

This game should have been a blowout.  Great playcalling, but mediocre execution.  Lots of guys were open down the field.  Should have had two or three long TDs.

i hope they work on this issue over the week and rest of the season and off-season.  maybe nothing can be done but i hope it can be fixed.

Some of Chan Gaileys play calls were questionable with those dink and dunk passes going for short yards. It reminded me of what Chad Pennington did  when he didn't have the arm strength anymore to throw deep. Fitzy has arm strength why not utilize that strength a lot more. Yes of course Fitzpatrick should be signed to a 2 year deal at most he is a great stop gap QB for the Jets. Fitzpatrick is doing better then when Favre was here that's for damn sure . Fitzpatrick is playing like an all time great and a franchise qb at the moment. hopefully that continues. The Jets do have a good chance at winning their first round game vs the Chiefs or Texans or Broncos. All of those teams have suspect quarterback play. We have defeated Peyton Manning before in the playoffs  if we do play his Broncos. I'm very hyped up about this week and the potential playoffs. For the 1st time in 4.5 years of dreadful football with Rex Ryan we all have a team that we can be proud of. Go J-E-T-S!

Great or even good players can make any system work.  It's always been more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's.  The main thing X's and O's can do is hide the flaws of bad or limited players, while maximizing the strengths of players who are already good.  So in short, no, I don't agree that the system is "everything", because no system can hide bad QB play for long.  SEE:  Sanchez, Mark.  On the flip side, Peyton may have failed under Kubiak (which I would argue is more due to age than anything), but he's succeeded under a lot of different systems and coaches.  Fitzpatrick himself had a really good year in Houston last season while Chan Gailey was sitting on his couch.

Certainly, people will bring up Bill Walsh and Joe Montana to counter my argument.  But anyone would agree Walsh needed a super accurate QB to make the West Coast Offense work, just like all variations of it require to this day.  He doesn't succeed without Montana.  Coaching has always mattered, but the skill of the players definitely matters more.

You can blame age in regards to Manning but the guy threw 96 TD's the last 2 years while he was running the offense.  96 ! Sorry but you don't just fall off a cliff like that. If Idiot Kubiak let Manning run his system he had been running successfully for years with that defense they would have been destroying everyone.

Yes good players can make bad systems work but they will never win a SB bad coaches don't usually win SB's things tighten up in the playoffs and without the deception of a good play caller you are going to struggle vs the top defenses in the playoffs. As much as we can say Top QB's win SB's the same exact thing can be said for Defenses when Bradys defenses played top notch in the early 2000's The Pats won most of their SB's .... When Peyton Mannings defenses sh*t the bed for the most part he won nothing only 1 stinking SB. When Aaron Rodgers won his SB the Pack had a top D that created tons of turnovers same with Drew Brees and the Saints. It all goes hand in hand.

There are a lot of examples over the years of how a good solid system can turn things around for a QB and Fitz is one of the current examples as was Vinny the interception machine when he came to the Jets in 98 and had one of the best TD to Int ratios ever. So many to name its mind numbing ...

You can blame age in regards to Manning but the guy threw 96 TD's the last 2 years while he was running the offense.  96 ! Sorry but you don't just fall off a cliff like that. If Idiot Kubiak let Manning run his system he had been running successfully for years with that defense they would have been destroying everyone.

Yes good players can make bad systems work but they will never win a SB bad coaches don't usually win SB's things tighten up in the playoffs and without the deception of a good play caller you are going to struggle vs the top defenses in the playoffs. As much as we can say Top QB's win SB's the same exact thing can be said for Defenses when Bradys defenses played top notch in the early 2000's The Pats won most of their SB's .... When Peyton Mannings defenses sh*t the bed for the most part he won nothing only 1 stinking SB. When Aaron Rodgers won his SB the Pack had a top D that created tons of turnovers same with Drew Brees and the Saints. It all goes hand in hand.

There are a lot of examples over the years of how a good solid system can turn things around for a QB and Fitz is one of the current examples as was Vinny the interception machine when he came to the Jets in 98 and had one of the best TD to Int ratios ever. So many to name its mind numbing ...

Elite guys can get it done in almost any situation and are rare. But there is a wide next tier that can flash elite play when in right scheme/situation. Manning the Elder was an example of the latter. Fitz is in the next tier that if in the right environment, he can put up semi-elite numbers.

You can add Marshall to that deal as well... him & Fitz have a connection that I don't want to see broken.

Archived