Wild Card Weekend Game Thread

joewilly12

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did the Bengals get robbed?

If Hill doesn't fumble, Bengals run it up the middle 3 times and kick a FG.

Game over.

Agreed, The Bengals had the lead under 2 minutes with the football and couldn't get it done. That might be worse than any Jets loss of recent memory. Even the Bills game because the Jets never had the lead in that game

1. Bengals should have taken a knee 3 times, then kicked the fg. No need to run a play there, see giants vs Eagles.

2. Burfict's hit was flagrant and the penalty warranted. Stop with the excuses.

3. Steelers should have been flagged for porter being on the field and starting a fight. He's a defensive coach with no business being on that field. He was not there to check on brown, he went straight for burfict.

4. Marvin Lewis needs to be fired.

Burfict should have been kicked out of the game for that hit.  If you watch the replay, Brown has already missed the ball.  Burfict, clearly on a mission or loaded with illegal substances, lines up Brown and goes in for the kill shot, literally.  It would not have surprised me if Brown's neck would have been broken or worse.

As for Lewis?  A few weeks ago, I said his leadership--especially in the playoffs--has been abysmal.  Unless, of course, you believe that getting to the post season is enough.  I don't.  The guy's teams have choked a boatload of playoff games.  The way Cincy imploded in the final seconds of yesterday's--again under Lewis' stewardship--game is unforgivable.  

Ryan Shazier hit was just as bad and no flag was thrown. Refs were completely one-sided as usual when it comes to the stealers. 

Both players should have been kicked out for those hits.  If the NFL wants to eliminate headhunting, they start kicking guys out or keeping them off the field for a quarter.

Both players should have been kicked out for those hits.  If the NFL wants to eliminate headhunting, they start kicking guys out or keeping them off the field for a quarter.

Sad thing is the NCCA Refs would have ejected both for spearing, Shazier for sure, Bosa was ejected for much less vs ND 

Can see why many people think the College game is better  

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones lashed out on social media Saturday night after receiving a key penalty near the end of his team's 18-16 AFC wild-card loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Referring to referee John Parry, Jones said in a video posted on Instagram that "The ref did a horrible f---ing job" and questioned why Steelers assistant coach and former player Joey Porter was on the field in between plays late in the game.

Porter had come onto the field during a stoppage in play while Steelers officials were attending to receiver Antonio Brown. Porter presumably was checking on Brown, who had taken a hit to his head by the Bengals' Vontaze Burfict. Burfict was given a 15-yard penalty for the hit.

Jones then was called for unsportsmanlike conduct as he argued with Porter and other members of the Steelers. Parry, umpire Mark Pellis and field judge Buddy Horton were all in between Porter and Jones. At one point, Jones appeared to bump into Horton in an attempt to get closer to Porter. Horton threw the flag, giving the Steelers an additional 15 yards and setting up Chris Boswell's game-winning 35-yard field goal.

Jones deleted the Instagram post, but he later posted a second video in which he said: "All right, I'm good now. I've had my 10 minutes. I still don't believe I should have gotten a flag for talking to a coach that's on the field behind the huddle. That's my opinion."

Jones also took issue with the call on Burfict. He told NFL.com's Michael Silver of Brown, who is in the league's concussion protocol, "Man, that [expletive] was [expletive] acting. He flopped. He needs a [expletive] Academy Award for that performance."

Social media was the avenue for a postgame rant the last time these two teams met, too.

After the Steelers beat the Bengals in December, Jones put out a not-safe-for-work Instagram post, leading Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert to post on Twitter: "All I want for Christmas is the bengals. Would love to see them in the playoffs where they choke."

I have seen many HC's come onto the field to check on a player, but we all know if was any other team than the steelers, pats*, Giants or packers, porter gets a flag for that, and we all know he went out there to bait them

shame on them for taking the bait, but that's BS

Tough loss Billy.

What the hell was Hill thinking in that situation?

Fighting for 1 or 2 extra yards at that point was meaningless.

Secure the ball with both hands and just go down and take time off the clock.

They shouldn't have have even tried running it. Take some knees, make Pittsburgh use up their timeouts, kick a field goal or pooch punt it deep. Game over. But no. Hill has to try to fight for extra yards they don't need and gets stripped. I knew the game was lost right there.

I don't understand what Joey Porter was doing on the field and why he didn't get flagged. I'm not excusing Pacman Jones, he has to be smarter and have self control.

Hard to know for sure and there is a fair reason to believe he was out there to bait. It could also be that the coaching staff sent out a defensive coach to check on the player so the offensive coaches could focus on setting up the next play. Not an unreasonable thing to do.

They shouldn't have have even tried running it. Take some knees, make Pittsburgh use up their timeouts, kick a field goal or pooch punt it deep. Game over. But no. Hill has to try to fight for extra yards they don't need and gets stripped. I knew the game was lost right there.

Handing off was the right move.  Hill has to be aware and know the situation. 

Jeremy Hill is not a guy you want in with the game on ice. 

Exactly why I wanted them to take a couple knees. Why risk it.

each knee is about a 3 yard loss, and nugent is no lock either and it was raining.   I like the pooch kick idea tho. 

at least you have today to recover, I had to go to work after the jets debacle at 5:30 am !

Exactly why I wanted them to take a couple knees. Why risk it.

Remember the Steelers still had 3 TOs.  I think the Bengals did the right thing by trying to run the ball.  I'm not as familiar with the Bengals personnel as you are therefore I'm not sure if Hill was the best RB to carry in that situation.

each knee is about a 3 yard loss, and nugent is no lock either and it was raining.   I like the pooch kick idea tho. 

at least you have today to recover, I had to go to work after the jets debacle at 5:30 am !

I still can't watch the hi-lights from the game. It makes me want to grab a bottle of Wild Turkey and drink myself into oblivion.

I still can't watch the hi-lights from the game. It makes me want to grab a bottle of Wild Turkey and drink myself into oblivion.

I cant believe all the Hue Jackson love, he will fail as a HC, the 2 pt conversion play was Pagano-esque. To not have AJ green on the field was a crime. 

Also 3 kneel downs do not guarantee win, Nugent has choked many times and giving Ben 1 minute with good field position and only needed a FG to win. A first down was only way to guarantee win. They would have used Bernard, but Shazier took him out with a vicious illegal hit.  

Was Proud of AJ, he would have won playoff game before Dalton

Well players, refs and coaches are all to blame for things getting put of control- it is a shame playoff game has to be like that with that ending

Refs were not in control of the game.

Evidently, they warned each team prior to the opening kickoff.

What they should have said is that any unsportsmanlike penalty would be an automatic ejection.

Hard to know for sure and there is a fair reason to believe he was out there to bait. It could also be that the coaching staff sent out a defensive coach to check on the player so the offensive coaches could focus on setting up the next play. Not an unreasonable thing to do.

Did he think he'd find his player in the middle of the group of players from the other team?

pooch kick from the 20? You can take a knee directly behind center for a one yard loss each time. No need to back up.

Did he think he'd find his player in the middle of the group of players from the other team?

I thought Jones came up to Porter and other CIN players followed. If Porter went into a group of CIN players on his own accord then there's no other reason for that interaction to have occurred but to incite a penalty.

I thought Jones came up to Porter and other CIN players followed. If Porter went into a group of CIN players on his own accord then there's no other reason for that interaction to have occurred but to incite a penalty.

Porter went out there for sole purpose to incite a penalty. refs effed this up. should have been a 50 yd FG to win game

Archived