Marcus Williams.. does he deserve first crack at jets' vacant CB job ? ? ?

kelly

Todd Bowles needs quality cornerbacks the way humans need oxygen. In his blitz-oriented defensive scheme, he can't survive without corners who thrive in man-to-man coverage. The New York Jets coach has a good one in Darrelle Revis, but he's looking for a new No. 2 now thatAntonio Cromartie is history.The Jets knew when they signed Cromartie last March to a four-year deal that he'd be one-and-done (such is a fallacy of NFL contracts), so they've had ample time to ponder Life After Cro. And you know what? The outlook isn't that terrible.

First of all, Cromartie was mediocre last season, as age (31) and a chronic hip condition robbed him of his extraordinary athleticism. He tried to compensate by out-thinking his opponents, but he didn't have the catch-up speed to bail him out when he guessed wrong. He was a terrific player at one time, but the Jets made the right decision -- really, the only decision -- by parting ways.

A look at their top replacement options :

1. Marcus Williams: He deserves first dibs. The former undrafted free agent played only 285 defensive snaps (27 percent) in his second NFL season, but he finished with a team-high six interceptions. That breaks down to one interception every 47.5 snaps. Projected over a full season, we're talking about 22 interceptions. Obviously, that's a ridiculous, unreachable number, and we all know cornerbacks shouldn't be measured by interceptions, but it provides a glimpse into Williams' potential.Williams is a smart, instinctive player with excellent ball skills. He doesn't have ideal stopwatch speed for a man-to-man corner, but let's not forget Bowles shifted toward zone coverage late in the season. The biggest concern with Williams is that, as the No. 4 corner, he didn't cover too many No. 1 or No. 2 wide receivers. There's a big jump from dime back to starter, but Williams -- out of tiny North Dakota State -- has the demeanor of SEC player. He doesn't get rattled.

"He's been consistent from day one," Bowles said during the season. "When you put him in, he just makes plays. No matter how many plays he gets in there, the ball finds him. He makes plays, he's around the ball, he's poised and he's very smart. You only have to tell him things once, and he's been consistent since the day I met him."That Williams has only a $600,000 cap charge is an added bonus. The Jets could take the Cromartie savings ($8 million) and spend it elsewhere, not having to worry about signing another corner.

2. Buster Skrine: At $6.25 million a year, Skrine is being paid like a starting corner. He also has more starting experience than Williams, going back to his years with the Cleveland Browns, but Skrine is best suited to the slot. He's only 5-foot-9, too small to be an every-down player on the outside. Plus, he happens to be a pretty good slot corner, which is where he played 90 percent of his snaps last season. He's a very good blitzer, adding to his effectiveness in the slot.

3. Dee Milliner: Remember him? The former first-round pick (ninth overall in 2013) was an afterthought in an injury-plagued 2015, so far down on the cornerback totem pole that he wasn't used for a single defensive snap. Let's be realistic: Milliner isn't the answer. The main reason he's still on the roster is because his $4 million is guaranteed. If healthy, he could compete for the starting job, but the current administration, which didn't draft him, simply can't count on him to be a major contributor. Anything it gets from him is a bonus.

4. The draft: It would be a mild surprise if the Jets selected a corner with the 20th pick (Ohio State's Eli Apple would make the tabloid headline writers happy), but you can't rule it out because of the importance of the position in Bowles' system. That said, the second or third round, and perhaps even later, makes more sense.

5. Free agency: The Jets don't have to cap room to buy a $5 million-a-year corner. If they choose to spend, Jerraud Powers (Arizona Cardinals) would be on the radar because of Bowles' familiarity with him.

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58569/unheralded-marcus-williams-deserves-first-crack-at-jets-vacant-cb-job

Should be him and Milliner rotating, with McDougle and Skrine rotating in the slot. 

I think there will be a slight learning curve with him in the beginning, should really look at how he finishes the season. It's a contract year for him and Milliner. Will be interesting. Wouldn't rule out a mid-round pick at the CB position either. 

He does, but don't be surprised if he gets beat out by Skrine. Williams has been a pleasant surprise, but a former late round guy with a limited track record of success will have a shorter leash too.

I am a big fan of the Jets' CB situation right now. There's an elite veteran up top still playing at a very high level, a couple competent guys in Williams and Skrine, and some young and conceivably high upside depth behind them. That's more or less how every position should be set up, ideally, with none of that paying off huge unless there is a QB.

Didn't Bowles say last year he was one of his favorite players. He has a nose for the ball. Some guys are just like that. They naturally make plays. The guy has worked his way up. Kind of like how Milliner has worked his way down. Maybe (like Marcus) with pressure on just making the team we'll see a step up for Milliner, too. 

Marcus Williams has definitely earned the spot...It should be his.  He needs to learn to tackle better but he's been impressive in coverage.

You really can't count on Milliner to be a starter. Honestly wouldn't want him to be the starter even if he has a better camp.  

Milliner needs to prove he can stay healthy for an extended period of time before he even gets a chance to be a starter.

Of course the first shot should go to him. He's played well the last few years in the limited reps he's seen. He's got the size and speed for it. But, really, what are the Jets other options? Skrine and McDougle are almost exclusively slot guys and Dee Milliner hasn't played a defensive snap in how long? Marcus Williams had better be the goods, because if he fails, there isn't much depth behind him. Will probably see a depth signing and/or a draft pick to give the cornerback situation more stability.

LMAO at that article. Skrine is the slot guy. It will come down to Williams (leader heading into camp), Milliner (simply because he was a high 1st rd pick), Mcdougal (has showed some glimpses) and then obviously FA/Draft is always an option. 

The ideal scenario is for Milliner to come into camp healthy and play like a high 1st rd pick, but I am more than fine with Williams being our starting CB. He is solid in coverage but makes up for his lack of "shutdown" ability with his ability to make some big plays (in 13 games/3 starts he managed 6 ints, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble.) Plus he is only 24. 

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Its simple, three way battle Williams, McDougal, Milliner.  Winner starts.  There is no reason to do it any other way.

Best player plays

Except Bowles is on record saying McDougle is almost exclusively an inside corner (read slot). He won't be in the competition. It'll be between Milliner and Williams and whomever they sign/draft. 

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

Skrine plays outside against 2WR sets

against 3WR sets, Skrine shifts inside, let Williams/Walls/Milliner battle for the outside CB spot

Skrine is not big enough to play outside and Walls is a FA. Not sure they bring him back even though he played well in limited defensive snaps last season. It's going to be Marcus Williams' job to lose. 

Can Williams be counted on to cover a starting WR, AND handle being picked on because Revis is on the other side of the field? Not quite sure. Too bad about Milliner, if he weren't made of glass he'd be an excellent starting CB. Also, half of the football world believes Cro will be realistic about his situation and sign back on for less money. 

Bring in Norman. 

16 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Skrine is not big enough to play outsideand Walls is a FA. Not sure they bring him back even though he played well in limited defensive snaps last season. It's going to be Marcus Williams' job to lose. 

Both a fictional and arbitrary statement to zero surprise.

The reason to keep Skrine inside is because he is quick enough to keep up with slot WRs, hard to find, but nothing crazy with playing him outside.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Skrine is not big enough to play outside and Walls is a FA. Not sure they bring him back even though he played well in limited defensive snaps last season. It's going to be Marcus Williams' job to lose. 

Skrine played outside many times this past year to good success.  Not saying Marcus Williams is trash, but Skrine is probably a little better and is better against the run too.

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Its simple, three way battle Williams, McDougal, Milliner.  Winner starts.  There is no reason to do it any other way.

Best player plays

Except Bowles is on record saying McDougle is almost exclusively an inside corner (read slot). He won't be in the competition. It'll be between Milliner and Williams and whomever they sign/draft. 

48 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Skrine played outside many times this past year to good success.  Not saying Marcus Williams is trash, but Skrine is probably a little better and is better against the run too.

Skrine played on the outside seldomly and wasn't good there or in the slot. He was below average. Marcus Williams just needs to work on his tackling and he'll be fine. 

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Skrine played on the outside seldomly and wasn't good there or in the slot. He was below average. Marcus Williams just needs to work on his tackling and he'll be fine. 

What average? The average of stuff and things! Williams has issues of his own - he lacks top end speed and most of his career has been as a 4th corner getting easier assignments than others on the roster. Apparently tackling is an issue as well. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the other outside CB is a week-by-week and and matchup thing until someone emerges.

~ ~  2. There's an "open competition" for Antonio Cromartie's old job at cornerback: That's how Bowles described it, naming Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams and Dee Milliner as the leading candidates. Bowles said he'd have no problem using Skrine, a slot corner for most of his career, on the outside if necessary. I can't remember the last time Bowles mentioned Milliner's name in connection with a potential starting job. Come to think of it, I don't think he ever has.

3. Cromartie could return at a lower salary: Bowles said there's "a chance" they could re-sign Cromartie, but don't bet on that happening. He's almost 32 and he didn't play well last season, as Bowles indicated. He said, "We looked at the tape, and after we looked at the tape, he didn't have the greatest year. But he played with a lot of injuries, to his credit." Adios, Cro.

rest of above article  :  

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58609/jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-feels-good-about-ryan-fitzpatrick-contract-talks

• 3 months later...

As he prepares for his third season, and a bigger role,Jets cornerback Marcus Williams said he never questioned whether he could thrive in the NFL — not even after going undrafted. "Not at all," he told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday, after an organized team activities practice. "I always had it in my mind that I could play. I just needed the chance. Rex [Ryan] gave me a chance my rookie year, and then Todd [Bowles] gave me a chance last year, too, to go out there and prove what I can do. They knew what they had in me." What they have is an intriguing, versatile corner who can play outside or in the slot. What they have is a guy who made six interceptions last season (bringing his career total to seven), despite not getting regular action.

Williams' primary role was as a slot corner in the dime defense, with six defensive backs on the field, typically in third-down situations. But he also played outside corner as an injury replacement. With the Jets having cut Antonio Cromartie this offseason, they are looking for a new cornerback to start opposite Darrelle Revis. That guy will be Buster Skrine (last year's slot corner) when the Jets are in their base defense.But they often use their nickel (five defensive backs) package. And in those situations, Williams plays outside corner, and Skrine remains in the slot. Is Williams ready to take on a bigger role? The Jets are about to find out. 

Williams, for one, was not shocked by what he did last year. "It didn't surprise me at all," he said. "That's what they put me in there for." But was it rewarding, personally, to show he can play at this level ? "I mean, I guess," Williams said. "Rewarding for me would be a Super Bowl. Rewarding for me, I don't really take rewards that easily." 

Even though he has worked mostly at outside corner in OTAs, he is still getting some action in the slot. "Just trying to make sure that I can be versatile and play wherever they need me," Williams said. At North Dakota State, he played almost all outside corner. The Texans initially signed him after he went undrafted in 2014. At that time, their college scouting director was Mike Maccagnan, the Jets' current general manager.The Texans cut Williams at the end of that preseason, but the Jets picked him up, initially as a practice squad player. He later was elevated to the active roster. Because of the Jets' cornerback attrition in 2014, Williams started all eight games he played. He started three games as a replacement in 2015. 

Williams said adjusting to slot corner in the NFL "really wasn't much of a challenge. I'm a smart guy. I can pick up on things pretty quick. I've guarded players inside, if I was assigned to a player [in college]. It was just something I got used to. It wasn't that hard of a transition. It was just more learning the defense." This season is a contract year (sort of) for Williams, who is 25. He will make $600,000 in 2016, with the chance to earn more (depending on how he plays) next offseason, when he will be a restricted free agent. 

The three restricted free agent tender figures in 2016 are $1.6 million, $2.5 million, and $3.6 million. Expect those figures to increase next offseason, as Williams attempts to cash in. 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/marcus_williams_says_jets_knew_what_they_had_in_me.html#incart_river_index

IMO Williams has been the best #2 CB the past 2 seasons. He was the best CB we had in 2014 and his production in 2015 when compared to his amount of playing time, you could make the argument that he was the best CB on the team when on the field. 

Williams is clearly deserving of the #2 CB position. 

Archived