Maccagnan and Bowles are downgrading this team

Kleckineau

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You should familiarize yourself with the term "The BIG PICTURE" and the theory of MACROECONOMICS and how that plays into this COMPETENT Front Office's strategy for building LONG-TERM success and sustaining it for, hopefully, perpetuity in a VERY Business-oriented league with a HARSH and HARD Salary Cap that ALL must adhere to. You KNOW there was a MANDATORY MINIMUM the Jets HAD TO SPEND in 2015, thus handcuffing 2016, and due to GREAT MacCags foresight will be in GREAT SHAPE again in 2017?

Lesson for you children out there, there are short-sighted people in this world, who INTEND well with their thoughts, but it doesn't mean they are AT ALL correct in their, or lack there of, rationale. 

Big picture? Short sighted?

Here's the big picture / macro view

Here is the bottom line body of work you seem impressed with.

Last draft they decided they needed to add another DE (who here wouldnt agree that was already the only position of strength of the team) without even seeming to try to make a bold move and trade up to take a Winston or Mariota. All the while knowing what they had at the position was garbage. (Spare me the Fitz is good bs you will see him return to form this year hopefully somewhere else.)

Then proceed to waste a pick on a second round WR who cant stay on the field and is no better than the jag they just let go to the Lions.

Now their focus seems to be on playing russian roulette with Fitz, the quintessential jag QB, while ignoring the possibility of upgrading the QB position through trade or free agency.

Oh and regarding the 10-6 record bs. We all know what the schedule was and the failure to win in Buffalo.

Now go play fetch with your lactating dachsund.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'm the only one who thinks we've done a pretty damn good job this offseason.

Jeez, you guys want to burn everyone at the stake because a 4-12 team with no depth wasn't turned into a SB winner with amazing depth and lots of cap space within two year.

MY ONLY complaint about Mac is that he had the cap space last year to front load contracts but he chose to back load them instead for some unfathomable reason.  Carpenter (a great get) is a prime example.  I wish I could understand his thinking.  

He also overspent a bit on Cro, Revis, and 1-2 others but a rookie GM's "caving" to his HC and owner can be forgiven.      

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm still mad at Idzik.  That piece of sh*t gets credit for "fixing" our cap situation, but how much money did he hand to Harvin and Kerley during a hopeless season?  Draft picks and dead money when the team was 1-7?  WTF?  

the whole Harvin thing was when Idzik realized that he was going to get fired with Rex so he scrambled to  find a playmaker.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What some see as improvements arent improvements to others.

This team needs a franchise QB you do what you have to acquire one no matter what.

47 years and counting.......

Ok,  so whats his name and how do we get him. I think we all know that as well as Mac, Bowles, Woody,  the scouting Dept, Fans, and maybe even the Cheerleaders. What do you see as a solution? What moves would you make that Mac has failed to do this year to get a Franchise QB?

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Everything you state is, IMO, based on how YOU believe the Jets SHOULD HAVE spent and STRUCTURED the contracts. Yes they are permitted a carryover, but what good does that do when you have a NEW Front Office, Scouting Dept., & Coaching Staff in 2015 that had NO IDEA whether the current stock of players they inherited from 2014 and prior (Decker as you state) would "fit" their agenda & schemes. AND it seems clear, to me at least, that MacCags was MORE willing to invest LongTerm on FAs HE SIGNED - Carpenter, Skrine, Gilchrist, even Cro on a 1 yr Rental - than "pre-paying" players (as YOU STATE) we already had, but back in March 2015 we HAD NO collective IDEA whether the NEW REGIME wanted to KEEP the Tanny/Idzik players past 2015 - ala Kerley, Cumberland, Ivory, Coples, etc. So all your long-winded rationale is MERELY YOUR CONJECTURE on how YOU would have structured the contracts, BUT NO IDEA AS TO WHERE AND WHAT the NEW GM MacCags and the NEW CS's disposition & assessment would be on the inherited roster they got and whether THOSE players were WORTH PRE-PAYING. 

Like I said, Agree to Disagree because I see where you're coming from but that doesn't mean you are right, nor am I for all we know, and that I have to acquiesce to YOUR opinion which is JUST AS PROJECTED as mine. In the end, 2017 we are in MUCH better shape to SPEND on FAs w/SUFFICIENT salary cap space and being the 3rd year in with MacCag's draft picks that should be material contributors on the field at CUT-RATE draft slot salaries. 

This is now something different you've added to the discussion. You are moving the goalposts by adding in whether or not each of these new contracts on new players was wise. I was speaking to whether or not it was required by league mandate, and doing so was not.

What I started out saying - and have since been saying - was that we did not have to spend all that $ on all those new players. You said that was untrue and cited 2 articles that didn't refute what I said. I showed you a mere couple of examples of things the Jets could have done instead of using up tens of millions unnecessarily, on expensive players with limited or no long term future here; also they didn't need to create un-needed additional cap room for 2015 by backloading contracts we could afford to spread more evenly (or frontload outright).

NOW you're saying they had to for a different reason: so they could evaluate who they had. But bringing in the likes of Cromartie at a must-start salary of $7M doesn't help evaluate the DBs they had. Your next assertion is just confusing: bringing in Carpenter, Skrine, Carpenter, and Gilchrist (not to mention Revis, Cromartie, and re-signing Harris for so much) doesn't help evaluate Kerley, Cumberland, Ivory, and Coples. Your suggesting otherwise makes no sense whatsoever.

No one seriously thinks they brought in expensive, must-start level players to help evaluate the cheap ones already on the roster. Because if they did they should be fired right now. No; what they did was obvious: the Jets had a dogsh*t secondary in 2014; partly/mostly because of a lack of talent and partly because anyone who might be talented enough was injured. Every casual Jets fan knew this and it's hard to believe Bowles/Mac didn't. So they bought NFL history's most expensive, instant secondary for their new secondary-centric HC, to reap better instant success. It had nothing to do with helping to evaluate our existing DBs (save Pryor, who was a 1st round pick; they didn't bring in an expensive SS) since the existing players would be relegated to the bench behind the high priced veterans. That is the opposite of what one does if the goal is to evaluate existing talent.

So this rationalization makes no sense on 2 fronts now.

All I was saying is they did not have to spend so much on so many players. The rest is just opinions on whether this or that player was a wise addition. But in each case - and my very point is - it was an optional decision they chose to make, to not only max out the 2015 cap but use a good amount of the 2016 cap on 2015, despite the team having no obvious starting QB.. The decision actually looks better in hindsight than it initially was, thanks to the injury-riddled opponents we faced. But some of it was still poor planning, and poor use of a rare wealth of cap room. Hey, at least he didn't exacerbate it by keeping Percy Harvin for $11M and a higher draft pick.

We can agree to disagree on the wisdom of this use of cap space on all these expensive new veterans, but not on the nonsense of any league-mandated requirement to do so, since the latter is patently untrue.

Some Jets fans, if a player gains 10 yards per carry and then gets stuffed on one play they'll call him a bum. Or if they don't like the player find an excuse even if the guy is good. For those people, if you're looking for perfection don't look in the mirror. ;)

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

MY ONLY complaint about Mac is that he had the cap space last year to front load contracts but he chose to back load them instead for some unfathomable reason.  Carpenter (a great get) is a prime example.  I wish I could understand his thinking.  

He also overspent a bit on Cro, Revis, and 1-2 others but a rookie GM's "caving" to his HC and owner can be forgiven.      

To his credit he was able to restructure carpenter this offseason and was able to cut Cromartie after 1 season because of the contract structure. It seems like the contract structuring is pretty good. The only guy who ever gets his way is Revis, but that's always been. 

13 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The fact that the majority of our fan base is losing sleep over the possibilty of losing Ryan Fitzpatrick tells us plenty about the direction of this team.

Sorry, this team needs bold moves and all I see is management playing plugaleak with jags.

Yeah, the sleeping habits of the fan base should drive our GM to sign players. And why does this team need "bold" moves? What does that even mean?

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Maccagnan and Bowles are downgrading this team.

They have created a net loss in talent by losing Harrison, Ivory, Allen and appear to be playing a game of who will blink first with Fitzpatrick when in reality they should be saying good bye Fitzy (he will return to form this year you watch) and aggressively pursuing Kaepernick or Glennon.

I realize they still have the draft ahead of them but they havent done anything (Leonard Williams?....please) in that regard to give me any confidence that they can address the QB position via the draft.

If this is how they are going to run things they will be a last place team for the next few years and will get themselves canned. 

Wow!  I hope someone has informed the warden at Greystone Park that the back gate is apparently open.

Management isn't downgrading the talent on this team I believe they are
"transtioning" the team to the model they want going forward.  Where young
players that have been developed take over for players that are familiar
to fans and cost more $$$.  This is the pattern the good organizations (GB,
PIT & BAL) use and why they always are in the hunt.  Players such as:

Deon Simon (NT)
Taiwan Jones (ILB)
Deion Barnes (OLB)
Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB)
Mike Catapano (OLB/DE)
Marcus Williams (CB)
Kevin Short (CB)
Dion Bailey (S)
Brent Qvale (OT)
Jarvis Harrison (G)
Wes Saxton (TE)
Devin Smith (WR)
Jace Amaro (TE)

Could have significant roles this year, if they're successful that changes
how people view the talent base of the team

WOW. That's such a negative post that I could see myself posting it.

I think the Jets are surely going to take a step back this season what with the astronomically harder schedule and not as talented of a roster. But I do believe we'll be that much better in 207 as a result. Who knows what we find out? As you said, the draft has not happened yet. It's likely Mac will draft another QB. As a result, we could find our QB of the future. We could find more weapons on offense.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward.

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

WOW. That's such a negative post that I could see myself posting it.

I think the Jets are surely going to take a step back this season what with the astronomically harder schedule and not as talented of a roster. But I do believe we'll be that much better in 207 as a result. Who knows what we find out? As you said, the draft has not happened yet. It's likely Mac will draft another QB. As a result, we could find our QB of the future. We could find more weapons on offense.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward.

yup.   Glad you posted this. 

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, the sleeping habits of the fan base should drive our GM to sign players. And why does this team need "bold" moves? What does that even mean?

Why does this team need bold moves?

Because they havent won a freaking thing in close to 50 years.

BTW I thought most people knew what the word bold meant.

In the pro-football transaction context a few examples...

NEP sign Randy Moss thought to be washed up and a bad guy but was anything but. After signing him they came within one lucky SB catch of going undefeated.

49ers sign Steve Young despite his "less than stellar" (complete failure) 2 seasons at TB and still having Joe Montana on the team

Packers trade for Favre after he was called a wasted draft pick by his Atlanta coach.  

Jets sign Vinny Testaverde whom most thought to be done but was anything but.

Maybe signing a Glennon or Kaep can be the next lightning in a bottle?

1 hour ago, nyjets782 said:

Wow!  I hope someone has informed the warden at Greystone Park that the back gate is apparently open.

Is that the best you have??

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it's not all that matters IMO. We are not signing people we could now because of the sorry cap shape of 2016 (independent of temporary constraints like Ferguson and Mo). You never throw cap room away; it could have always been carried over.

And they did not address it. If we needed to spend cash, there was nothing forcing us to spend it on new players or to backload contracts.

For example, sign Carpenter and Skrine to the same (total dollar) contracts, but don't backload them. Spend more cash on them in 2015 to satisfy the "must spend" constraint and it would leave us with more space in 2016. So we could have spent another $7M in 2015 without paying $7M to Cromartie. There was plenty more to do along these lines, like pre-paying players we had (e.g. Decker) who we knew we wanted to keep past 2015: pay him more now so he costs less in the future. In the absence of outright pay cuts, players are always willing to restructure to get more $ now instead of later. Well over $10M could have been "spent" this way while not creating constraints in the future.

It's not hard to have spent the same $ to free up many millions per year after that no matter what Cimini or anyone else may have written. He's just a sportswriter who often "borrows" information from people who understand this stuff better than he does.

I can see why you may have thought so, but Cimini's checkers-player lack of imagination opinion doesn't change the empirical fact that it was not required for us to do what was done.

Sperm, we did need to spend money last year...we had boat loads.  I honestly think they brought in who they did just so we could be respectable, and so they could get a look at the young guys.  This team needed three years to rebuild after the disaster of draft picks from 2012 onward.  I think we just got lucky with Fitz.  We weren't going to be big players this year, and the contracts are basically free and clear next year.  Obviously I could be wrong, but I think they planned on being quite bad for two seasons, building through the draft and back-loading the talent with depth signings, all along with an eye to 2017.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sperm, we did need to spend money last year...we had boat loads.  I honestly think they brought in who they did just so we could be respectable, and so they could get a look at the young guys.  This team needed three years to rebuild after the disaster of draft picks from 2012 onward.  I think we just got lucky with Fitz.  We weren't going to be big players this year, and the contracts are basically free and clear next year.  Obviously I could be wrong, but I think they planned on being quite bad for two seasons, building through the draft and back-loading the talent with depth signings, all along with an eye to 2017.

We didn't need to spend 2016's money in 2015. This has been my point.

What I've gotten back is an argument that we were required to spend so much in 2015, in such a fashion as we did, that it would necessarily screw us up for 2016. This is just simply untrue.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

6-8 wins sound about right. 

I would say 7-9, but we're both agreed that they aren't getting 10 this year.

Then again, predicting before seeing teams is usually folly.

What separates Mac from disaster is that all these older players are on short term deals save Revis. So that gives him time to replenish the roster

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it's not all that matters IMO. We are not signing people we could now because of the sorry cap shape of 2016 (independent of temporary constraints like Ferguson and Mo). You never throw cap room away; it could have always been carried over.

And they did not address it. If we needed to spend cash, there was nothing forcing us to spend it on new players or to backload contracts.

For example, sign Carpenter and Skrine to the same (total dollar) contracts, but don't backload them. Spend more cash on them in 2015 to satisfy the "must spend" constraint and it would leave us with more space in 2016. So we could have spent another $7M in 2015 without paying $7M to Cromartie. There was plenty more to do along these lines, like pre-paying players we had (e.g. Decker) who we knew we wanted to keep past 2015: pay him more now so he costs less in the future. In the absence of outright pay cuts, players are always willing to restructure to get more $ now instead of later. Well over $10M could have been "spent" this way while not creating constraints in the future.

It's not hard to have spent the same $ to free up many millions per year after that no matter what Cimini or anyone else may have written. He's just a sportswriter who often "borrows" information from people who understand this stuff better than he does.

I can see why you may have thought so, but Cimini's checkers-player lack of imagination opinion doesn't change the empirical fact that it was not required for us to do what was done.

100% agree with the overall premise but one question -- would we expose ourselves to the demands of restructuring after great years if we had done so?  I suppose the counter is that you pick the right players and make sure future salaries are reasonable but not ridiculously cheap?  We wouldn't want a scenario where we reduced a key players salary in 2018 to $750K, for example.

I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm just curious how we could protect ourselves from that kind of risk while also being fiscally responsible for the years to come.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I would say 7-9, but we're both agreed that they aren't getting 10 this year.

Then again, predicting before seeing teams is usually folly.

What separates Mac from disaster is that all these older players are on short term deals save Revis. So that gives him time to replenish the roster

Which is why I don't see Mac throwing away draft picks on Hoyer or McCown. I think he looks to trade back a few times and end up with 8-9 picks this year. I can't see this team coming out of the draft with 6 or fewer players.

Just now, AVM said:

100% agree with the overall premise but one question -- would we expose ourselves to the demands of restructuring after great years if we had done so?  I suppose the counter is that you pick the right players and make sure future salaries are reasonable but not ridiculously cheap?  We wouldn't want a scenario where we reduced a key players salary in 2018 to $750K, for example.

I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm just curious how we could protect ourselves from that kind of risk while also being fiscally responsible for the years to come.

No. You put other clauses in there to discourage future holdouts in exchange for more $ up front. Tannenbaum did that with Revis (actually one of his better moves; hell of a lot better than not reading the Tebow trade agreement).

But the answer is no for another reason. You pay and sign expensive players you want for one of two reasons.

Reason one, because you're a win-now team that's pulling all the stops. This is a SB-or-bust season and are willing to accept the likelihood of future cap difficulty 1 or 2 years later to take your shot now. I dismiss this as a good reason since we were heading into the season with Geno Smith as the starter, who had not shown himself to be worthy of splurging on the most expensive secondary known to mankind.

Reason two, because these are good young players who are and will still be building blocks of the winner you're trying to put together over the upcoming few seasons. Carpenter, Skrine, Gilchrist -- these are player signings that fall into this category, whether they eventually panned out or not.

So paying them up front in signing bonus is still paying them. If you make it a roster bonus then let it hit the 2015 cap and, by extension, their costs for 2016+ are lowered. The only other way is if we simply didn't max out the 2015 cap (then, even if these players' cap #s were lower in 2015, it wouldn't matter because we were going to push significant extra space to 2016/beyond. Looks like we're doing that with Carpenter's restructure, which is temporary breathing room so we can take our time re Brick and Mo).

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. You put other clauses in there to discourage future holdouts in exchange for more $ up front. Tannenbaum did that with Revis (actually one of his better moves; hell of a lot better than not reading the Tebow trade agreement).

But the answer is no for another reason. You pay and sign expensive players you want for one of two reasons.

Reason one, because you're a win-now team that's pulling all the stops. This is a SB-or-bust season and are willing to accept the likelihood of future cap difficulty 1 or 2 years later to take your shot now. I dismiss this as a good reason since we were heading into the season with Geno Smith as the starter, who had not shown himself to be worthy of splurging on the most expensive secondary known to mankind.

Reason two, because these are good young players who are and will still be building blocks of the winner you're trying to put together over the upcoming few seasons. Carpenter, Skrine, Gilchrist -- these are player signings that fall into this category, whether they eventually panned out or not.

So paying them up front in signing bonus is still paying them. If you make it a roster bonus then let it hit the 2015 cap and, by extension, their costs for 2016+ are lowered. The only other way is if we simply didn't max out the 2015 cap (then, even if these players' cap #s were lower in 2015, it wouldn't matter because we were going to push significant extra space to 2016/beyond. Looks like we're doing that with Carpenter's restructure, which is temporary breathing room so we can take our time re Brick and Mo).

I agree with all of this, with the only other factor that I think made sense for some of the contracts being less front-loaded was regarding those that were considered guys who still needed to prove their worth, and therefore actually had easy outs built into their contracts.  The perfect example of this is Gilchrist, who the Jets initially got a lot of grief about his contract, until it was found out that it was setup to mostly be a one year deal, if they wanted it to be.  With that said, such a deal only makes sense for a couple of the players that they might have potentially wanted to move on from to have their contracts built that way.  For any player who was sure to be sticking around for future years, then the back-loading of contracts was certainly quite unnecessary.  The plus side is that this current situation looks like it should work itself out by next year, and hopefully in the meantime, we get to see some of the young guys already on this team, plus this year's picks, start to step up, which could have a bigger impact than anything.

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I agree with all of this, with the only other factor that I think made sense for some of the contracts being less front-loaded was regarding those that were considered guys who still needed to prove their worth, and therefore actually had easy outs built into their contracts.  The perfect example of this is Gilchrist, who the Jets initially got a lot of grief about his contract, until it was found out that it was setup to mostly be a one year deal, if they wanted it to be.  With that said, such a deal only makes sense for a couple of the players that they might have potentially wanted to move on from to have their contracts built that way.  For any player who was sure to be sticking around for future years, then the back-loading of contracts was certainly quite unnecessary.  The plus side is that this current situation looks like it should work itself out by next year, and hopefully in the meantime, we get to see some of the young guys already on this team, plus this year's picks, start to step up, which could have a bigger impact than anything.

I mentioned that with Gilchrist a couple of weeks back, but he's the only one. 

The upside to not bringing back Fitz isn't just that we might get to see a QB of the future getting some reps. Also if it gives Bowles the message that this isn't SB or Bust this year he might get some other younger guy more playing time, instead of slavishly wasting so many 1st team reps and starts on Coples, Cromartie, Pace, Colon, Davis,...

You can't get surprisingly great play from young guns if you hardly let them play. 

We don't have a single player from our 2012 draft on the roster and of our 2013 draft, Dee Milliner and Geno Smith are busts at worst or the jury is still out at best.  Our other first round pick that year looked like a great pick but he is an idiot so I am no longer sure about that.  The rest of that draft has been pretty pedestrian to say the least.   2014 we had 12 picks and only Amaro, Pryor, Enunwa and Reilly to show for it. Only Pryor has proven to starter material.    

The talent level that Mac inherited on this team was beyond woeful.  Sure he may have made a few mistakes but the good far outweighs the bad.  Also I noticed you had a put down comment regarding Leonard Williams.   This guy is a stud and will only continue to improve; to complain about that pick is just plain stupid.   

8 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Big picture? Short sighted?

Here's the big picture / macro view

Here is the bottom line body of work you seem impressed with.

Last draft they decided they needed to add another DE (who here wouldnt agree that was already the only position of strength of the team) without even seeming to try to make a bold move and trade up to take a Winston or Mariota. All the while knowing what they had at the position was garbage. (Spare me the Fitz is good bs you will see him return to form this year hopefully somewhere else.)

Then proceed to waste a pick on a second round WR who cant stay on the field and is no better than the jag they just let go to the Lions.

Now their focus seems to be on playing russian roulette with Fitz, the quintessential jag QB, while ignoring the possibility of upgrading the QB position through trade or free agency.

Oh and regarding the 10-6 record bs. We all know what the schedule was and the failure to win in Buffalo.

Now go play fetch with your lactating dachsund.

Last year they took the best available player.  That's the strategy they should always be employing.  There was no one on the board even comparable to Williams.  You mention Winston and Mariota.  Winston was going to TB.  They had no shot of him.  Mariota had major question marks.  Major ones.  There were draft rankings that had him as high as @2 and as low as a second rounder.  Most scouting reports had him needing a year at least to sit and learn the pro game.  He stunk for the most part last year, and IMO he's not going to be a very good QB long term.  He sure as hell wasn't worth trading up for.  In fact I would take the top 3-4 QB prospects this year over him.

Were they to predict Devin Smith was going to get hurt when they drafted him?  I guess the Jags really ****ed up because their #4 overall got hurt in his first practice.  Devin Smith may be injured for life, but he was a solid 2nd round prospect and his ceiling is miles higher than Kerley. 

Russian Roulette with FItz?  Really?  What's the worst that can happen, he doesn't sign with us?  Looks to me like they're playing their hand perfectly.  There's nothing, and I mean nothing, that puts the Jets in a position where they should ever even consider paying Fitz over 10m a year. 

Of course the 10 win season was bogus.  We're not that good.  Mainly because our drafts in the prior 5-7 years were atrocious.  Like ungodly atrocious.  It takes a little while to rebuild when like 70% of the drafted players in those last few years aren't even on the team anymore.  Most not even in the league!  It was a great job coaching and by our GM to field something as competitive as it was given our lack of depth and talent on the team prior to them coming in. 

9 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Last draft they decided they needed to add another DE (who here wouldnt agree that was already the only position of strength of the team) without even seeming to try to make a bold move and trade up to take a Winston or Mariota.

"...without even seeming to try to make a bold move and trade up" - Just to be clear, so because McCagnan did not call you personally to let you know that he seemingly tried to trade up, you believe the thought was not even considered?   

"...ignoring the possibility of upgrading the QB position" - Again, because McCagnan did not call you to confirm, you believe he ignored EVEN THE POSSIBILITY of upgrading the position?  All those Hall of Fame QB's available this offseason, and he didn't even consider the possibility of being interested.....

I weep for the future of our nation.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Last year they took the best available player.  That's the strategy they should always be employing.  There was no one on the board even comparable to Williams.  You mention Winston and Mariota.  Winston was going to TB.  They had no shot of him.  Mariota had major question marks.  Major ones.  There were draft rankings that had him as high as @2 and as low as a second rounder.  Most scouting reports had him needing a year at least to sit and learn the pro game.  He stunk for the most part last year, and IMO he's not going to be a very good QB long term.  He sure as hell wasn't worth trading up for.  In fact I would take the top 3-4 QB prospects this year over him.

Were they to predict Devin Smith was going to get hurt when they drafted him?  I guess the Jags really ****ed up because their #4 overall got hurt in his first practice.  Devin Smith may be injured for life, but he was a solid 2nd round prospect and his ceiling is miles higher than Kerley. 

Russian Roulette with FItz?  Really?  What's the worst that can happen, he doesn't sign with us?  Looks to me like they're playing their hand perfectly.  There's nothing, and I mean nothing, that puts the Jets in a position where they should ever even consider paying Fitz over 10m a year. 

Of course the 10 win season was bogus.  We're not that good.  Mainly because our drafts in the prior 5-7 years were atrocious.  Like ungodly atrocious.  It takes a little while to rebuild when like 70% of the drafted players in those last few years aren't even on the team anymore.  Most not even in the league!  It was a great job coaching and by our GM to field something as competitive as it was given our lack of depth and talent on the team prior to them coming in. 

Mariota stunk???? HA......

What team that is QB needy would want Leonard EFFIN Williams over Mariota???

1 hour ago, nyjets782 said:

"...without even seeming to try to make a bold move and trade up" - Just to be clear, so because McCagnan did not call you personally to let you know that he seemingly tried to trade up, you believe the thought was not even considered?   

"...ignoring the possibility of upgrading the QB position" - Again, because McCagnan did not call you to confirm, you believe he ignored EVEN THE POSSIBILITY of upgrading the position?  All those Hall of Fame QB's available this offseason, and he didn't even consider the possibility of being interested.....

I weep for the future of our nation.

Its Maccagnan. Show some respect for your avatar.

Dont weep. Nobody likes a crybaby.

FWIW this team has last place written all over it. I will be stunned if this team is able to finish ahead of either the Phins or Bills this year.

Archived