Brian Hoyer to Jets ?

kelly

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I am not a troll.

That hurts my feelings.

Nobody remembers, but we used to have a bunch of really substantive debates/convos on here with Pats, Steelers, Dolphins, and Bills fans. Then you Pats went and got all successful and then the board skewed younger and those convos became bloodsport. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody remembers, but we used to have a bunch of really substantive debates/convos on here with Pats, Steelers, Dolphins, and Bills fans. Then you Pats went and got all successful and then the board skewed younger and those convos became bloodsport. 

I can't remember, did I ban you when I was a mod?

My 10-year anniversary as a JN mod is coming up on Friday.

1 hour ago, The Engineer said:

Now your talking about his reps in the preseason... You are a fool. I would say something, but since I'm new here ill just say GFY.

That's a good way to endear yourself to a board, lose an argument and insult someone. Enjoy your short time here. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets QB options in priority:

1) Trade up to #2 and grab Wentz (trade Mo and give the Browns your 2017 #1 pick).

2) Deal for either Glennon or Kaep.

3) Start Petty from day one and see if he has what it takes to be a NFL QB.

Last thing the Jets should do is waste their time with crap QB's like Fitz, Hoyer or Geno.

Ok but option 1 still requires signing a vet and 3 shouldn't even be listed as its not a feasible solution at this stage of Petty's career. Geno should just be taken out of the equation because well he's Geno.

Ok but option 1 still requires signing a vet and 3 shouldn't even be listed as its not a feasible solution at this stage of Petty's career. Geno should just be taken out of the equation because well he's Geno.

Why would a vet need to be signed?

Again, Petty is in his 2nd year in the NFL.

Throw him to the wolves and see if he is NFL worthy.

Unless the Jets move up and grab Wentz or trade for Glennon, what are their QB options?

Fitz, Geno or Hoyer?

Good luck with that mess.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Generation X Jets Jets Jets

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

agreed.  It was the most informative thing I have read to date about Fitzpatrick and I am convinced that the Jets should not spend more than market for him, which should be about $ 7 million.  Frankly, I'd rather move forward .  I am leaning more and more towards a trade up. But I value the QB position a lot more highly than many here.

It was an excellent eye opening article, particularly since it was accompanied by videos that brought the writer's point home.

I too, highly value the QB. But who would you trade up for and what would you use to barter your way up? Frankly, I don't see how the Jets could afford to trade up to a high enough pick to land Wentz or Goff, even if they wanted to.

50 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would a vet need to be signed?

Again, Petty is in his 2nd year in the NFL.

Throw him to the wolves and see if he is NFL worthy.

Unless the Jets move up and grab Wentz or trade for Glennon, what are their QB options?

Fitz, Geno or Hoyer?

Good luck with that mess.

Mac and Bowles aren't as senseless as Idziot and Rex. They threw Geno to the wolves and that's the end of that story.  They're not going that route with Petty. Nor has he received any endorsement from Mac other than possibly being a back up in NFL. Geno is less of an option since they are considering the Amazin 3 Fitz/McGowan/Hoyer.  Unless they trade for Kap or Glennon, these 3 are stop gaps for Petty or another QB Mac drafts in a year or 2. Indeed, it's messy but not career threatening for Mac & Bowles....yet.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Try coughing up another #1 Pick to move that far.  And if Wentz is a franchise QB, why wouldn't the Browns want him?  Please don't say RGIII because lol, no.

2. Glennon, eh?  Ok, Trade this years #1 Pick + something more.  For a backup.  Who was benched.  And is a free Agent next year.  Lol, no.

3. Start Petty, who is so very clearly not ready yet.  Brilliant idea.  and when we go 2-14, and Petty is sacked a few dozen times and throws 30 INT's, I'm sure he'll just chalk it up to a learning experience, right?

Idiocy at it's worst.  Overpay massively for a shot in the dark Draft Pick, Overpay murderously for a failed backup soon-to-be-free-agent, or waste the only developmental guy we currently have rushing him well before he's ready.

Oh, well yeah, this is exactly what I'd expect a Pats Fan to want to see, as all these options suck and ensure we lose 2 next year to the Pats.  Carry on then.

Are you this in love with Fitz or totally clueless?  Because this nonsense couldn't have come from deep, sound football knowledge.  

Idiocy?  Ok

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

That's a very cute color blue you got there.

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

You are kidding right, Fish?

The Jets haven't had an elite QB since Namath. That's over a half friggn' century ago.

1). Offer up Mo and next year's #1 and the Browns will at least listen. Not like the Jets have nailed their draft picks over the last 10 years.

2) Glennon would be the best QB option for the Jets in the last 10 years and he would not cost a #1 pick.

3) How the hell do you know Petty is not ready? Was Brady ready in his 2nd year in the NFL when he won a Super Bowl?

Not sure why I am arguing about NFL QB's with a poster who has claimed Patrick Ramsey is an elite NFL QB.

And the Pats have had exactly.......one elite QB in their history.  They got in the 7th round.  Well, two if you count Grogan I suppose, a guy near as old as Namath.

1. No, they won't.  And no, we shouldn't.  Not for this Draft Class of QB's most certainly, there are no Lucks or Mannings here.  We're better served keeping Mo and drafting at our current spot.  

2. Lol, no.  Till shown otherwise, he's not even Sanchez-level good.  It's easy to say Glennon is good, because it requires no proof, it's all opinion and projection.  Sorry, no.

3. Because every indicator says he's not ready, from his pre-draft scouting, to his post-draft play, to coach comments and actions.  Comparing Petty to arguably the greatest QB who ever lived, really Tex?

These are all pants-pissing-desperation moves, the kind the Browns would usually try to make.  Most certainly Bill Bellichek would never make any of these moves, with Brady or without.  These moves are not how Champions are built, they're Pats Fans want the Jets to act so the Jets will be a joke yet again, and I'm not having it.

If a fix ever seems easy and obvious, it's probably not a real fix.

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

If Fitzpatrick signs elsewhere, offer a 2017 7th round pick for him.

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Waste of a roster spot. Hoyer sucks and would neither make us competitive nor provide any sort of long term solution. We shouldn't be considering anyone that doesn't do one of those two things.

As a stopgap or backup he is not a bad player, and his contract is reasonable. 

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And the Pats have had exactly.......one elite QB in their history.  They got in the 7th round.  Well, two if you count Grogan I suppose, a guy near as old as Namath.

1. No, they won't.  And no, we shouldn't.  Not for this Draft Class of QB's most certainly, there are no Lucks or Mannings here.  We're better served keeping Mo and drafting at our current spot.  

2. Lol, no.  Till shown otherwise, he's not even Sanchez-level good.  It's easy to say Glennon is good, because it requires no proof, it's all opinion and projection.  Sorry, no.

3. Because every indicator says he's not ready, from his pre-draft scouting, to his post-draft play, to coach comments and actions.  Comparing Petty to arguably the greatest QB who ever lived, really Tex?

These are all pants-pissing-desperation moves, the kind the Browns would usually try to make.  Most certainly Bill Bellichek would never make any of these moves, with Brady or without.  These moves are not how Champions are built, they're Pats Fans want the Jets to act so the Jets will be a joke yet again, and I'm not having it.

Game Set Match Warfish

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

To be fair with draft classes you never know. There's just indicator's here and there but ultimately anything can happen. Obviously there's guys like Tebow and Manziel where there's huge red flags that should affect them, but even then stranger things have happened. 

I think Paxton Lynch is a disaster waiting to happen but he could be the next great thing for all I know. I thought Sanchez was an elite QB in the making and absolutely loved that we went for him. You just can't know how they'll adapt regardless of what you may think. 

I'll not complain if we do anything to get a QB. I've been pretty clear that I really want us to keep Mo, but if we gave him up in an effort to get Wentz or Goff I'd be all for it. If the organisation believes he can be a top QB then they simply have to do whatever it takes to go and get them. Plus even if they suck, in the mean time it's pretty exciting to see how they'll develop - And you have to be optimistic before the games start, lol.

I would agree with you on Glennon and Petty. I don't see how Glennon is even being considered as an option, or what the hell people actually see in him. As for Petty, I don't think we'd be doing him or the team any favours by throwing him in right now. You can wait and see with him. 

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah if we end up with Hoyer then we should do everything we can just to tank the season because what a f*cking waste of time it would be trying to compete. 

Tank? why trade for Hoyer then, just start Geno....

meantime our best receivers are getting older every day.

Would Giants part with Eli (who I hate, but is IMO better than average)?

16 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Tank? why trade for Hoyer then, just start Geno....

meantime our best receivers are getting older every day.

Would Giants part with Eli (who I hate, but is IMO better than average)?

Maybe they'd want to be seen to be doing something and they know the fans are basically done with the Geno era. They could sell it as an upgrade knowing full well it's not.

That said I'd agree and would actually rather see Geno than that waster. Same for McCown. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

To be fair with draft classes you never know. There's just indicator's here and there but ultimately anything can happen. Obviously there's guys like Tebow and Manziel where there's huge red flags that should affect them, but even then stranger things have happened. 

I think Paxton Lynch is a disaster waiting to happen but he could be the next great thing for all I know. I thought Sanchez was an elite QB in the making and absolutely loved that we went for him. You just can't know how they'll adapt regardless of what you may think. 

I'll not complain if we do anything to get a QB. I've been pretty clear that I really want us to keep Mo, but if we gave him up in an effort to get Wentz or Goff I'd be all for it. If the organisation believes he can be a top QB then they simply have to do whatever it takes to go and get them. Plus even if they suck, in the mean time it's pretty exciting to see how they'll develop - And you have to be optimistic before the games start, lol.

I would agree with you on Glennon and Petty. I don't see how Glennon is even being considered as an option, or what the hell people actually see in him. As for Petty, I don't think we'd be doing him or the team any favours by throwing him in right now. You can wait and see with him. 

Agreed, if we draft a QB, I simply must have faith in Macc (who I like alot thus far) and Bowles (who I like ok thus far, he has alot to learn on gameday IMO).

And I'm find with Glennon......if he costs us a 5th round pick and he is willing to reng. an extended deal for 5-7 mil a season for 4 seasons.  Anything more is highway robbery for what he's actually done in this league.

Petty I like, alot actually.  Like what I've seen.  I simply reject the idea of rushing him for rushing sake.  He'll be ready when he's ready, and it simply will not be 2016.  2017, yes, thats reasonable and possible if he works his ass off (and I hear he does) and keeps hitting the books learning actual NFL Offense (instead of college style system).

My ideal is to resign Fitz, not because he's great, not because he is a Franchise QB, not because he is going to win the 2016 Super Bowl.  But because he's an excellent short-term fill-in veteran/Mentor who the team and players love, who is productive, is pretty good on ball protection, and is enjoyable to watch and will win ~50% of his games here with this team, minimum.

I'd be happy to see another QB Drafted (where-ever and whatever round Macc sees fit) or a Glennon-type acquired for minimal cost (the aforementioned 5th rounder or less, which won't happen), and to have Fitz mentor Petty and the Draft Pick over 2016, with Geno Smith released.

2017, open competition, Fitz, Petty, Draft Pick.  Best man wins.  Go from there.

That's my plan as Internet GM.  And I think it's a solid one.

Archived