Rookie Minicamp & Rookie Numbers

32EBoozer

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

I know what your saying, but I would not get your hopes up. Some people who really know their shizz think differently. Plus, he threw some bad passes today, pretty good QB's don't throw bad passes.

really? pretty good abs dont throw bad passes ever? rookie qb throws a couple bad passes at rookie minicamp a week after being drafted........

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It is easy to get caught up in that, but different teams, stadiums, divisions, players, and coaches; one player's success (or failures) cannot be assigned to another. NY is not an easy place to play. Currently they have a better offense and defense than us, so of course, given the right situation, the great home field advantage, etc. Lynch could succeed in Denver even if he couldn't here.

But I get what you are saying...

I don't know if their offense is better than ours, Decker and B marsh are on par with Sanders and Thomas, and we have much more depth at receiver, and their defense lost some key pieces and they only have some of those guys under contract till the end of the year, and you cant sign all of them.

While we still have our impact guys on defense on their rookie deals, apart from Revis and Harris for the next 3 or 4 years

I just don't want another Marino and Ken O'brian situation

4 hours ago, faba said:

If we Get  a decent punter and QB out of this draft-Mac will be enshrined into Hall Of Fame

lol I first read this as Mac-draft.  Let me be the first to coin the phrase :) Macdraft.

29 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

really? pretty good abs dont throw bad passes ever? rookie qb throws a couple bad passes at rookie minicamp a week after being drafted........

24 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

if you can find me a qb who has never thrown an interception then you have found a qb who never threw a bad pass. 

Look, I am not a  palm reader, and I am not one of those people who can communicate with dead people to figure these things out, and I am certainly not a fortune cookie....

But here is what I will tell you, throwing bad passes, plus @dbatesman and @T0mShane thinking he is not good, does not bode well for this kids future.... Who knows, maybe he defies all these odds and can be good, but I would not bet on it.

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Look, I am not a  palm reader, and I am not one of those people who can communicate with dead people to figure these things out, and I am certainly not a fortune cookie....

But here is what I will tell you, throwing bad passes, plus @dbatesman and @T0mShane thinking he is not good, does not bode well for this kids future.... Who knows, maybe he defies all these odds and can be good, but I would not bet on it.

BowlesMovement?????

long-island-medium_320.jpg

9 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Any particular players from rookie camp that you are rooting for?

Mine are Peni Vea and Terron Beckham

Hackett. Just so I can hear him every week...Yeah I was worried for a minute then I realised I'm just the punter. I kick a ball for a living. 

I want to see his dad interviewed now. See if he ever gets his 4 large back. 

18 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

But if you could talk to dead people, and one of those dead people could access Google from the afterlife, they'd tell you that no one puts up Hackenberg's numbers in college and subsequently becomes a good pro.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But if you could talk to dead people, and one of those dead people could access Google from the afterlife, they'd tell you that no one puts up Hackenberg's numbers in college and subsequently becomes a good pro.

except for having a higher completion pct tom brady had similar stats

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah well no one that ever played in a read option ever became a good pro either. Now everyone does so eventually someone will have to. 

No skinny kids drafted in the 6th round from Michigan ever became a good pro until someone did. 

No one has ever played in a pro offense, then gotten Sanduskied before...so maybe he'll be the first. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That is what I am trying to tell these cats who have been duped by Mac. In fact, I think the PSU Oline, HC, OC and WR's all should be pissed at Hackenberg, cause if he did not suck so bad, they would probably have been first round draft picks. Its pretty clear that whenever this happens, a top recruit who looks pretty good as a true freshmen and he cannot overcome little things like coaching changes, and system changes, and free running blitzers, and dropped passes, they always fail in the pros, probably 150% of the time. I am sick of excuses, excuses are for wimps. If Hackenberg had any guts he would not even enter the draft so that fools like Mac would risk their job on him.

Plus, I really hope that when I die I can access google from the afterlife, that would be awesome.

Apparently Charone Peake models his game after Brandon Marshall.

Seems like he already has it under pact, catch the crazy passes, one hand catches, win jumpballs, and then drop a slant route, just like Brandon Marshall!

9 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

apparently Charone Peake caught an underthrown jumpball over our 4th round pick Juston Burris

This is good news, Hackenberg is going to need someone to make him look good like Marshall does for Fitzpatrick, hopefully Peake is that guy!

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

That is what I am trying to tell these cats who have been duped by Mac. In fact, I think the PSU Oline, HC, OC and WR's all should be pissed at Hackenberg, cause if he did not suck so bad, they would probably have been first round draft picks. Its pretty clear that whenever this happens, a top recruit who looks pretty good as a true freshmen and he cannot overcome little things like coaching changes, and system changes, and free running blitzers, and dropped passes, they always fail in the pros, probably 150% of the time. I am sick of excuses, excuses are for wimps. If Hackenberg had any guts he would not even enter the draft so that fools like Mac would risk their job on him.

Plus, I really hope that when I die I can access google from the afterlife, that would be awesome.

apparently bowlesmovement is smoking some incredibly strong crack

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

apparently bowlesmovement is smoking some incredibly strong crack

Look, I am just trying to help everyone out so they don't invest emotionally in this Hack (punt intended). The more bad passes a QB throws, the less a chance they have of being a good QB. On the constipated side, the less bad passes they throw, the more of a chance they have of being a good QB, its simple economics.

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

I just don't want another Marino and Ken O'brian situation

I hear that.

Although clearly not Marino - O'brien played some great games for us - he just couldn't rebound from that beating that Miami gave him.

Also, he won the same number of super bowls as Marino did :-)

3 hours ago, Colgateman said:

I usually don't wish guys to have bad careers, but I am hoping that Lynch has lower career statistics than Hackenberg, so we don't end up getting ****ed and made fun of by other teams for years again.

Hey, since we're playing comparisons in this thread, if Hackenberg ends up being like Eli Manning and winning two rings while Lynch ends up like Rivers with 0, I'll take the lower career stats and championships every day of the week.  Ironically, my personal comparison for Wentz is Big Ben with better mechanics so it fits with that "big 3" narrative lol. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

This is good news, Hackenberg is going to need someone to make him look good like Marshall does for Fitzpatrick, hopefully Peake is that guy!

Of course, but I still wonder about what Marino to Walker and toon could of brought us, along with our strong defense.

I think we could of won a super bowl in the 80's, so it wouldn't be so bad now.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Peake was really clean in out of those breaks .. 

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I really really loved that pick.

I keep on telling all you guys, this guy was a steal, it may of been a blessing having him **** his knee his first two years at Clemson, he is 100% healthy now, and has been the last two years, no injuries.

He could turn into our Donald Driver, Marques ColstonT.J. Houshmandzadeh  or our Joe Horn, or another late round steal receiver who fell for different reasons with high draft grades, as long as he stays healthy

Jets rookie Christian Hackenberg gets first reps at minicamp

• Colin Stephenson, Special to ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On his first day working out in a New York Jetsuniform, second-round draft pick Christian Hackenberg found himself surrounded by a swarm of reporters and television cameras, but the former Penn State quarterback handled himself just fine.

"It's been good," Hackenberg said Friday of his early adjustment to New York and its media. "I'm just getting used to it. I'm sure I'll take my lumps here and there and learn a little bit, but it's been awesome."

Hackenberg, whom the Jets took with the 51st pick overall a week ago in the NFL draft, used the word "awesome" a lot in his 15-minute group interview on the first day of the Jets' rookie minicamp. On the field later, he had some hits and misses, but he did get to show off his strong arm a couple of times and Jets coach Todd Bowles was pleased with what he saw from him.

"It's a learning process for him," Bowles said of Hackenberg. "He was fine."

Hackenberg, whose freshman year at Penn State was probably his best, played in a spread offense his last two seasons, and was criticized by many for being an inaccurate passer in college. There were many who thought the Jets drafted him too early, but Hackenberg said he isn't concerned about proving those critics wrong.

"I'm here right now, so for me, I don't think any of those guys are harder on me than I am," he said. "I hold myself to a pretty high standard. I know where I've got to get better, know what I've got to do, and that's kind of where I'm at with that. I'm here now -- my teammates, my coaches, myself."

In his first 11-on-11 action with the Jets, Hackenberg overthrew his first pass to a receiver who was tightly covered down the left sideline. Overall, he was 5-for-9 passing, was "sacked" once, and escaped one other "sack" in his first series. His highlight was a beautifully thrown, 50-yard bomb down the left sideline to undrafted wide receiver Quenton Brundage, who was tightly covered. Hackenberg spent much of his time during the 7-on-7s running for his life behind an offensive line that didn't exactly look like the Great Wall of China, but did have another long completion to wide receiver Titus Davis, also down the left sideline.

Bowles said the Jets had criticisms of Hackenberg, but they saw enough in him to believe he will grow and learn and get better. As for what he needs to see from the quarterback in this three-day minicamp, Bowles said he doesn't need to see anything.

"You're just looking for him to learn the system and get acclimated," said Bowles, who said the only reason he is having the rookies do on-field workouts in the minicamp is so Hackenberg can get reps. "You're not looking to see anything right now, because none of them know anything. Right now it's about teaching, to understand what we do and processing and then going out in a three-day span and seeing if they can maintain whatever they've learned in the meeting."

Terron Beckham draws a crowd during three-day tryout with the Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- When he met with reporters on the first day of his three-day tryout with the New York Jets, the first question to Terron Beckham was, what’s with the blue hair?

Beckham hadn’t dyed his hair blue to support his cousin, New York Giantswide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., he said, but to recognize the characters of the animated television series "Dragon Ball Z Kai."

“I’m an anime cartoon fan, so I’m kind of going off those traits, basically," he said. “That’s all."

The 23-year-old Beckham, a 6-foot, 225-pound running back hopeful, is quite the curiosity in the Jets’ rookie minicamp because of his connection to the Giants' star receiver and the fact he never played college football. A personal trainer and fitness model, he was signed by the Jets to a tryout agreement after they were one of several teams who attended his pro day last month and had him do a private workout for them the next day. He reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds, bench-pressed 225 pounds 36 times and had a vertical leap measured at 44.5 inches.

But he hasn’t played in a football game since high school, in 2010.

“I have strength, I have speed, I have power, explosiveness," said Beckham, who admitted he hasn’t spoken much to his famous cousin over the past few years. “I know everybody’s waiting on me to get into pads and see what I can do, and see if I can take a hit, which I believe I can, of course. And somebody who definitely is reliable, too. I definitely think I’ll be a big fit, especially with -- there’s Matt Forte here, Chris Ivory just left, and I see myself as kind of that Chris Ivory-type of back, how he runs."

Beckham took a few handoffs when the Jets worked on goal-line offense, but in his first and only touch in 11-on-11 drills, he fumbled the football. Nevertheless, Jets coach Todd Bowles said nice things about him, praising his study habits and his attention to detail and saying, “he looks like he knows how to play football."

“Obviously, he’s quicker than I thought he was," Bowles said of Beckham. “I didn’t know what to expect with him coming in. But he’s quick, he studies and he learns. I’ll be interested to see what he does the next two days."

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets rookie Christian Hackenberg gets first reps at minicamp

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On his first day working out in a New York Jetsuniform, second-round draft pick Christian Hackenberg found himself surrounded by a swarm of reporters and television cameras, but the former Penn State quarterback handled himself just fine.

"It's been good," Hackenberg said Friday of his early adjustment to New York and its media. "I'm just getting used to it. I'm sure I'll take my lumps here and there and learn a little bit, but it's been awesome."

you beat me by a minute, lol

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

If you say so. 

I think I’d pass on google in an afterlife.  If I’m lucky enough to ride a Hail Mary into heaven, I’d like to sit in a comfortable chair and watch the Jets win game after game after game with a Christian at quarterback.

Lol this is well done.

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

WHAT ABOUT THE AUSSIES?!?!?!?!!?

Friggin' Wallabees, they should be at their necks for the roster spot :-)

Wallaby-fighting-Tasmania.jpg

FINALLY! an answer . . . . 

Australian rookie punters begin competition to make Jets' roster

Colin Stephenson, Special to ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Growing up near Melbourne, Australia, punters Lachlan Edwards and Tom Hackett didn't know each other until they met in Indianapolis at the NFL combine. Now, they are roommates who are competing to make the roster of the New York Jets.

"It’s the Aussie showdown in New York City, I guess," Hackett said Friday at the first day of the Jets’ rookie minicamp. “The Giants got one [Brad Wing, who also hails from Melbourne] and the Jets got jealous and I guess they’ll end up with one, too. Me or ‘Lach’ will win the job and hopefully have a good year.’’

Australian punters are becoming a thing in American college football and the NFL, and that has given rise to punting academies in Australia designed to get Australian Rules Football players into American colleges and the NFL. Edwards, a 6-foot-4, 209-pound 24-year-old, was selected by the Jets out of Sam Houston State with the first of their two seventh-round picks last week, while Hackett, a 5-10, 198-pounder out of Utah, was signed as an undrafted free agent.

Both had played Australian Rules Football back home, before stumbling on to punting American footballs. Hackett said he saw a television special on an Aussie Rules star who was trying to get to the NFL and decided to see if he could do that himself. He started kicking an NFL ball, asked his father to lay out $4,000 for kicking lessons for a year, and joined Pro Kick Australia. It took him six months to get the hang of kicking an American football, he said, and he put some film together and sent it out to several U.S. schools, eventually getting the chance to walk on at Utah, where he won two Ray Guy Awards.

Edwards, who had given up cricket as a teenager to focus on Aussie Rules Football, found himself bored one day in the offseason and started kicking a ball around with his pal one day before work (both were bartenders). He was spotted by one of his college professors who was from Connecticut and thought he had some talent, and the professor put him in touch with OzPunt, another kicking academy in Melbourne, which got him a gig at Sam Houston State. The Jets drafted him last week and signed him to a four-year, $2.4 million contract.

The two punters are different in ways other than their size. Edwards described his strength as a strong leg, while Hackett styled himself as a directional punter.

“I put the ball out on the sideline and it’s not gonna go 60 yards, but when the ball’s on the ground, it’s the same as the ball in the air. And you got Devin Hester back there, I’m not gonna let him touch the ball,’’ Hackett said.

“I’ve got the long legs, so I can hit those big balls,’’ Edwards said. “And I’ve got good control over it when I’m coming into the end zone -- I can do my Aussie punts and stuff. I’ve got good control coming in and I’ve got that leg when we need it, punting out of the end zone and stuff.’’

Archived