Esplain to me please

SickJetFan

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I see comments in either articles, here in forums, or on tv

where every shmo and their brother explain Bryce Petty is no where near ready to play this year 

now im not arguing he should play or not

what I wonder is how every knows this

i watched his short time in every pre season game and although he did not light it up I thought he was ok considering he was also surrounded by below average players. And it looked like he was getting marginally better each time he played.

i didn't see any of his practices but apparently from reports Fitz did not light up practices either and yet threw 31 TD 

then there are the countless practices that only coaches and players saw and I never saw any leak from them

so please esplain to me how all these Monday morning QB experts know if he is ready or not

Cuz all those schmos are just afraid of greatness.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bryce Petty played his final year of college with a broken back and his completion percentage dipped to 63%. Hackenberg never broke 60% but gets a pass because  (insert the 5,000 Excuses Of Hackenberg). 

Lets just hope Petty or Hackenberg can be a legit QB, I don't care one bit which one

9 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Lets just hope Petty or Hackenberg can be a legit QB, I don't care one bit which one

Agreed. The ideal circumstance would consist of Matt Forté, Khiry Robinson, and Bilal Powell forming a dominant rushing attack, with Petty or Hackenberg charged with running play action and uncorking a few deep balls a few times a game. With the defense considerably faster this year, with Mo Wilkerson, minus Cromartie, they should be better than they were, so the offense can afford to be more of a grind-it-out deal.

that said, I fully expect we'll trade Mo for a two, then re-sign Fitzpatrick with that money and then sit through Lè Hackenberg Epoque for 19 or so games until we hire Steve Spagnuolo to replace Bowles in 2018.

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

where every shmo and their brother explain Bryce Petty is no where near ready to play this year 

i watched his short time in every pre season game and although he did not light it up I thought he was ok considering he was also surrounded by below average players. And it looked like he was getting marginally better each time he played.

i didn't see any of his practices but apparently from reports Fitz did not light up practices either and yet threw 31 TD 

then there are the countless practices that only coaches and players saw and I never saw any leak from them

so please esplain to me how all these Monday morning QB experts know if he is ready or not

he might as well have played his final college season on Mars.  Last year was major culture shock for Bryce.  I can see it taking two years for signs of progress.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because Hackenberg represents the unknown and it's looking like Petty's ceiling is a decent backup. It's kind of like the Carnosaur trilogy. Sure, when you're watching Carnosaur 2 you realize immediately that it's preposterous and Carnosaur 3 is probably going to be worse, but there's still that possibility that it might not be because you haven't seen it yet.

Plus, Carnosaur 3 wasn't drafted at the same instant that Yoenis Cespedes hit a grand slam.

Was Jeff Goldblum in Carnasaur 2, or just the original? For the life of me, I can never keep it straight. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. The ideal circumstance would consist of Matt Forté, Khiry Robinson, and Bilal Powell forming a dominant rushing attack

haha what? is it 2013?

It's not really pre-season performances because he was facing off against guys that were backups, but his ability to pick up the play book and timing.  If he had done that, we wouldn't be looking under every rock to find a QB when we would have a cheap one with us.  If Petty were ready, we're not drafting Hackenberg with a second round pick.  

He faces some major hurdles, it was going to take a ton of time for him to acclimate, and this is the year he should show improvement.  I expect him to be better. but as a team you can't go into the season with "Yeah, I hope he improves this year and picks up the playbook" because that's setting yourself up for failure.  I do, however, think the Jets brass like his potential, and he's not a cut candidate.  I see Geno/Penny/Hackenberg as the potential depth chart now.   Unlike a good amount of people, I think the Jets moved on from Fitz for all intents and purposes because they have done nothing this offseason that seems to suggest they are making room for him, even at the reported offer they gave him.  Once the first round was over and Wilkerson was on the team, they probably decided that they have no room for Fitz and drafted Hackenberg.  

Petty still needs to learn to be effective from under center, a major transition because it deals with timing.  Out of the shotgun, you are ready to throw, so throws such as quick bubbles are easier to throw because the path of the ball is from 4 yards behind the LOS.  From the center, you have the risk of a DE or LB jumping that throw if you tip it off.  

Petty also needs to learn routes.  We often hear WRs running a limited route tree and having to learn different more in the NFL.  In spread college systems such as Baylor, they use a limited amount of plays and routes, where the QB has to find the mismatch and pick on it.  They hide the repetitiveness in diversity (everyone lined up can run those routes) and the fast pace system in which they set up limiting play to play adjustments.  So he needs to learn the lesser used routes and how to throw the ball when it's not wide open.  

Petty also needs to learn how to throw people open instead of waiting until people are open more consistently.  This was an issue with Geno as well.  Most spread systems operate with such fast pace and players in the open that QBs don't develop elite timing.  College CBs tend to play off speed guys because they don't want to get burned deep, so a come back route is much easier in college than in NFL.  In college, you can wait until you are more sure the guy is open, whereas in the NFL you have to almost release it and hope the guy is open at times.  That timing takes a lot of time, because it took him years to learn the timing system in college, and now he has to erase that, and start over again.

Most of the people are guessing from guesstimates on how ready he will be.  Obviously, no one knows how advanced he is from last season to this season.  It's similar to an ETA on your GPS.  It just calculates what the time is going at the speed limit on the roads, and in this case the "speed limit" would be past experiences.  Some can be fast progresses that knock off the time and cut it short, and some are slow with frequent stops that arrive later, if at all.   

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

what exactly constitutes dog sh*t ? Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous ?

mostly water.........solid digestive waste and bacteria. mostly anyway. i think some mucous as well. in other words bryce petty is obviously ******* disgusting, lol

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one knows for sure what Petty will bring to the table, but he came to the Jets as very much a project type, and Macc went out of his way to say, and I'm paraphrasing, that he could be a good backup for us.  Not a ringing endorsement, but not the worst thing to be either.  For now we have to assume Geno Smith is the guy we throw under center (unless we end up signing Fitz) to keep both Hackenberg and Petty from needing to see the field before either are ready, with the # 2 job up for grabs between the young guys. 

Have to imagine the Jets see Hackenberg as the future starter and Petty as the backup beyond 2016.

i think he said something like, at this point we think he'll be a good backup and the rest is up to him.  if that's true, then you have to wonder if what he was really saying was, if fitz returns, they are comfortable with petty THIS YEAR as the backup and thus geno would be expendable.  we will know in a few months.

I dunno who I want or who should play QB this season.  Part of me wants Fitz cause he a bit savvy but he looks silly whenever he goes long

part of me would like to see what geno can do but he is such a douche or just seems that way plus I don't think you can teach courage and his biggest issue was hearin footsteps

i def want to see what petty and hack do in training camp and preseason

Guess we just wait...see what happens

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I dunno who I want or who should play QB this season.  Part of me wants Fitz cause he a bit savvy but he looks silly whenever he goes long

part of me would like to see what geno can do but he is such a douche or just seems that way plus I don't think you can teach courage and his biggest issue was hearin footsteps

i def want to see what petty and hack do in training camp and preseason

Guess we just wait...see what happens

And that is what makes us all Sick Jet Fans . 

Lots of speculation in this thread.  I'll just throw a few facts out there:

1.  The Jets do not like Geno Smith as a starting QB and have no intention of starting him.  And contrary to popular belief, he is a good soldier in the locker room and his teammates have no issues with him.  The Jets organization just doesn't like him on the field.

2. The Jets like Bryce Petty.  Hackenberg doesn't change that.  Mac just realizes that it's not smart to go all in on a 4th round QB from a spread offense.  The odds are usually against a guy like that panning out.  And if he doesn't pan out, what do you do?  Unless you're drafting a sure thing like Luck, you need to draft multiple guys with tools and big upside and hope that one pans out.  This is what the Jets are doing.

3. The Jets like Hackenberg.  That doesn't mean they like him more than Petty.  They just hope that one becomes a starter.  It doesn't matter which one.  

12 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Lots of speculation in this thread.  I'll just throw a few facts out there:

1.  The Jets do not like Geno Smith as a starting QB and have no intention of starting him.  And contrary to popular belief, he is a good soldier in the locker room and his teammates have no issues with him.  The Jets organization just doesn't like him on the field.

2. The Jets like Bryce Petty.  Hackenberg doesn't change that.  Mac just realizes that it's not smart to go all in on a 4th round QB from a spread offense.  The odds are usually against a guy like that panning out.  And if he doesn't pan out, what do you do?  Unless you're drafting a sure thing like Luck, you need to draft multiple guys with tools and big upside and hope that one pans out.  This is what the Jets are doing.

3. The Jets like Hackenberg.  That doesn't mean they like him more than Petty.  They just hope that one becomes a starter.  It doesn't matter which one.  

Whose facts are these, the organization's or yours  .  What are these facts based on  ?   

On 5/13/2016 at 7:23 PM, CTM said:

We know this because Joe Willie made a deal with the devil in 69, in exchange for the upset victory the Jets had to sacrifice ever having competent QB play again.

Ny Jets = the place QB's go to suck 

Change the names, the numbers the pedigree abd the draft position . It doesn't matter for they will suck here 

And like Archie Bunker would say "You're a meathead." The Jets have PASSED on no less than 3 HOF QB's in the draft and have no one to blame but themselves for it. Marino could have been a Jet, Roethlisberger could have been a Jet and Peyton Manning could have been a Jet. Not to mention Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco and hell they could have taken a flyer on Tom Brady also. Just sayin.

6 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

And like Archie Bunker would say "You're a meathead." The Jets have PASSED on no less than 3 HOF QB's in the draft and have no one to blame but themselves for it. Marino could have been a Jet, Roethlisberger could have been a Jet and Peyton Manning could have been a Jet. Not to mention Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco and hell they could have taken a flyer on Tom Brady also. Just sayin.

Lets not forget Bridgewater and Carr and Lynch who Elway thought enough of to grab at end of round 1 over Hackey Sack.  Why is it that Lynch was good enough for Elway but not for us?  SMH

15 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Would any of those guys have had HOF careers at the Jets? Who's to say we wouldn't be sat here today lamenting our decision to take that bum Marino over the HOF O'Brien?

A player's situation has a large effect on their success. How successful would Brady have been on another team? <Insert comment about not cheating here> 

Imagine he'd ended up in Cleveland, for example.

9 hours ago, Powpow said:

Lets not forget Bridgewater and Carr and Lynch who Elway thought enough of to grab at end of round 1 over Hackey Sack.  Why is it that Lynch was good enough for Elway but not for us?  SMH

Why would SD trade Drew Brees? Why would Atlanta trade Farve? These are QBs that they had on the team and saw play everyday but they still had no idea how good they would become.

Every team that has gotten a franchise QB has drafted, and paid a lot of money to lousy QBs until they got lucky. Seattle traded for, and signed Matt Flynn so obviously they have no idea what they're doing. They also traded for Harvin, but then decided to go with mid round picks over these guys. 

The smart thing to do is to use every avenue then be willing to cut bait and go with the best guys. Elway can be wrong. Bridge, and Carr are not yet in the HOF. We'll see how their careers go. 

On 5/13/2016 at 7:17 PM, SickJetFan said:

On these forums we're all allowed to have opinions - even strong ones on topics we know little about.  Obviously people have no idea.  It's the same w/ the draft.  We all think we're experts but we don't know more than the experts (though of course sometimes the experts are wrong and the fans are right - "We want Sapp!")  As far as Petty we all read that he'll need at least a year and probably 2 years before being ready.  I think that's why people say he needs another year.  Most likely that's what these kind of comments are based on.

On 5/15/2016 at 3:38 PM, Ex-Rex said:

We missed out on Favre by 1 pick and I think we had a chance to trade for him the next year (as he didn't stay in Atlanta - which is where I think he was drafted).  I didn't even realize Ben was an option for the Jets.  He's one of my favorite QBs (minus the off field stuff) in recent years.  He really lays it on the line.  Tremendous QB.  I didn't realize we passed on Flacco either.  I remember how aggressive Baltimore was trying to acquire a real QB back then.  They traded a #1 to move up to grab Kyle Boller in 2003.  Flacco was drafted in 2008.

Archived